Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is tha      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 VITAMIN-J
Msg: 351
Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?Page 15 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
LOL ARE YOU SERIOUS...NO ONE REALLY USES HOME PHONES ANY MORE..THEY ARE INCONVENIENT
 1lostlake
Msg: 352
Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?
Posted: 2/23/2009 6:55:35 PM
I'm a divorced / single man that doesn't have a land line. They were around in dinosaur times, lol. Hardly anybody uses them any more. Just because I refuse to pay for 2 phones doesn't mean I'm in a relationship with someone else. Just means I'm not wasting money there.
 nxmike
Msg: 353
Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?
Posted: 2/23/2009 7:49:37 PM
I'm guilty of only having a cellphone. Never got calls on the land line unless it was someone trying to sell something.
 HA HA HA HA HA
Msg: 354
Posted: 2/23/2009 8:18:02 PM
I only use my cell phone so it's the only number I have to give out. If you think that someone is giving their cell phone number INSTEAD of their home number because they are married and don't want to get caught by a *mysterious* woman (or man) calling, then MAYBE you should make sure you know them a little better so you can be more sure they are single. That way you'll have less of a reason to think they are attached to someone else.

Another thing: I would give a cell number over a home number because there is more anonymity (sp.?), when you give your home number, there are ways of people getting your address.

Either way, just get to know someone better before you give out your information.
 karma1160
Msg: 355
Posted: 2/23/2009 8:21:34 PM
People give cell phone #s because they can be reached on their cell phone more readily because they have them with them.
People also give cell phone #'s because it is easier to trace someone home address by their home phone number. I think your reading too much into this.
 Miss G
Msg: 356
Posted: 2/23/2009 8:28:31 PM
doubt it means anything other than they might want you to call.
 db281981
Msg: 357
Posted: 2/23/2009 8:31:15 PM
That idea never occurred to me but like others have said, I don't have a home phone! Actually I do but I have no idea what the number is, never used it. The roommate has it for business reasons! If I give my number out is my cell phone for everything.....friends, dates, business, work, etc. It's the only phone I use
 Some random name
Msg: 358
Posted: 2/23/2009 8:57:06 PM
I havent had a home line for 3 years now. I got rid of it after I realized that in 6 months the only ones who called it were telemarketers
 AJFA1
Msg: 359
Posted: 2/28/2009 2:29:46 PM
not many people use home phones anymore. it is just more convenient to have a cellular.
 Loving_Blonde
Msg: 360
Posted: 2/28/2009 3:46:56 PM
I don't think so.

I only give out my cell because it's the easiest way to get a hold of me.
 featherstroke
Msg: 361
Posted: 2/28/2009 6:30:55 PM
I would not give out a home number simply becuase I would not want someone to be able to Google me and find out where I live. Not everyone you meet on this site is a reasonable person! It's just safer.
 Jaymore10
Msg: 362
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2009 12:02:31 AM
Me on 10/2/2007 337 AM:

I actually give my home more often than my cell... It's easier to reach me there. Not to mention, it's cheaper. I'll give my cell if I'm going to meet someone and am unsure on directions or whatnot.

I actually only have a cell phone now. The land line became useless.
 abelian
Msg: 363
Posted: 3/7/2009 2:25:56 AM
I give out a number to a prepaid phone because that way I can give out a phone number instead of treating everyone a potential psycho. Is that a big deal or something? Just in case anyone is not very clear this, it requires very little to obtain all of the personal information on a person and a telephone in your name is enough. I personally do not want to give someone my home address, business address, income, every place I've lived, credit information, vehicle information, names of my relatives, driver's license number, etc. just to get a phone call. A prepaid phone is the obvious solution. A tracfone can be activated online without disclosing anything and for the truely paranoid, you can activate it from some random computer. If the only reason a woman can imagine giving a cell number instead of a number to a landline is that I might be married, then she is not only naive, but self-centered, in which case, I can live without her.
 hawaiian punch
Msg: 364
Posted: 4/4/2009 11:29:24 PM
Im a girl and If im going to give out a number it is going to be my cell phone as well. It is better not to give your home number at first for the worry they can find your real addy and if they are touched in the head you might be in trouble. It does not mean your hiding anything at all. After you get to know that person and you know they are safe, if they wont give you a home number get up and run away real fast! So men are not the only ones.
 Bronze_Guy
Msg: 365
Posted: 4/5/2009 12:03:31 AM
Getting a cell phone number is not an indication someone is taken, as most have pointed out.

The days and times the person is unreachable can be!

For example, these can indicate he's taken

1) can't call the person after work, or after 7pm on some/many days
2) calls you (or you can call the person) only during their working hours
3) doesn't return your calls in a timely manner
4) disappears for days, especially on weekends
5) communicates by texting 90% or more of the time
6) when you are together, the cell phone is turned off or silent, and they are abnormally selective on answering calls
...etc. (feel free to add more)

In other words, if they are not behaving in a normal fashion, chances are there is a reason why.
 infoseekngeek
Msg: 366
Posted: 4/5/2009 5:16:35 AM
My home phone is basically for my kids to call 911, and to give out publicly when I have to. The only people who ever call me on it are telemarketers and bill collectors looking for the prior person who had my number > 2 yrs ago. Very tempted to disconnect it.
 SMaggs
Msg: 367
view profile
History
 =RCM=
Msg: 368
Posted: 4/5/2009 6:46:37 AM
I know tons of people who don't bother keeping a landline.

Now, if he pulls out two or more of those $10 radioshack pay-as-you-go phones you may have a problem heh.
 Golfer38
Msg: 369
Posted: 4/5/2009 7:02:45 AM
I always hand out the cell number, as I do not use a land line. I am not home alot so it makes more sense for someone to call me on my cell phone.
 kenfla38
Msg: 370
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2009 9:20:17 AM

I am very curious about this one...seems all I get are cell phone numbers....rarely do i get a home phone number...how about you????...Donna in Illinois

... There can be any number of reasons who someone doesn't give you a home #:
1) They have no home phone (which is becoming more and more popular)
2) Their cell phone is the easiest place to reach them (as it's with them most of the time)
3) They don't want you knowing where you live until they know you better (as you can easily do a reverse search to find someone's address from a phone number)
4)....OR they could be married,in a relationship, or have some other secret they're not to anxious to share (such as they live in their parent's basement or currently reside in a prison cell).

I wouldn't read too much into it for a first or second date. But generally, if someone is being secretive after that, you have reason to at least be suspicious. Have they not told you were they live (or invited you over?)... Have they not told you were they work/what they do, etc? It's understandable that people don't necessarily want you (who they don't know) instantly able to find out everything about them such as where you live (as we've all heard the psycho-type stories), but after a few good dates... if the other person is being secretive or avoiding certain topics... or avoiding sharing a home phone number which you know they have, you have every right to be suspicious and to use good common sense as to whether you want to continue to see this person and/or to confront them as to what they seem to be hiding.

Best Wishes
 forum101
Msg: 371
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2009 10:44:19 PM
If I didnt have kids at home, I wouldnt even have a home phone. I would go cell all the way, and people could have delusions of what ever they want about it.
 abelian
Msg: 372
Posted: 4/9/2009 2:09:33 AM

this is so wrong you can do reserve search on cell phone numbers and if you can't get it from that you can pay for a service to get the information and it's not that expensive. I knew a person who did this for the wrong reason.

That is incorrect. I have a prepaid tracfone and I never supplied ANY personal information for it. It would be impossible to pay for information no one has.
 Ender330
Msg: 373
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2009 7:29:55 AM
All of you do realize that this post is OUTDATED! It was from 2005, when people didn't have 2 or 3 mobile phones, family share plans and My Circle.
 Stadt
Msg: 374
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2009 12:41:07 PM
Consider this. You are so intriguing that we guys don't want to miss any opportunity to speak with you. Too many people ONLY have a cell phone. After all, this is 2009.
 Impulsv
Msg: 375
Posted: 4/10/2009 6:52:54 AM
I give my cell so that we can txt, or be reached incase we are meeting on a date but she will be late or if plans suddenly change. Cell phone communication makes each other more accessible, it makes perfect sense to me to give a cell as a primary number to a woman I'm interested in. If I'm busy, I leave it on mute or set it aside, thats what voicemail is for and I can get back with her later.

As far as "am I taken", if I were then I'd let her know. Cell phones are a tool to me, not a sign of my status.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?