Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is tha      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 marita_b
Msg: 400
view profile
History
Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?Page 17 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
here here,...it's nice to hear this coming from a man,...thanks
I have been touting this for years,....
 MePlusTwo
Msg: 401
view profile
History
Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?
Posted: 4/23/2009 6:35:56 AM

Nobody, regardless of gender, should give out a number to a stranger that can be traced back to them, where they can be found. Not everybody is a stalker, but you don't know from the first date, for sure. Hope for the best. Plan for the worst.
Excellent advice, especially for the online dating world.
 l00kingAhead
Msg: 402
view profile
History
Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?
Posted: 4/23/2009 8:13:00 AM

Lighten up. Not everyone has immoral motives.

Ding-ding-ding!

And of course you live in Austrailia - Doh!
 lonesomerick
Msg: 403
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2009 8:37:48 AM
I've never asked a lady for their phone number, but instead offer mine. Since I'm not very concerned about my safety (being a man) and work primarily out of my home I give them my home number. If we're meeting for a date I then give my cell phone just in case.
 sea2ski
Msg: 404
Posted: 4/28/2009 9:18:32 PM
Have to agree with many other posters - I haven't had a land line since I went mobile in 1988... I was a very early adopter!
 redshoes4u
Msg: 405
Posted: 4/30/2009 4:53:36 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. If a woman gives out only her cell phone number are the men out there supposed to think they might be married? There are certainly other signs the people we are thinking of dating might be married.

One gentleman contacted me and asked me 4 times if he could come and see me. He was from Cambridge. I live an hour and half away. I emailed him back and asked him if he was married. I told him not to contact me again if he was. HE DIDN'T. This also happened another time with a previous contact that connect live. The first time he instant messaged me , he asked to come over to my house. He was married.

Be careful and have fun. Good luck in all your searches.
 BookWormFairy
Msg: 406
Posted: 5/21/2009 4:47:37 AM
It seems to overall be a privacy issue. In some cases, a person simply does not want a date to track where he or she lives. This may be out of fear of a stalker, or a person just wanting to not have to tell a person to "go away" face to face if it does not work out.

Then again, yes, it can be a caution flag, because some folks would use a cell phone number to keep a date from knowing various aspects of their life - such as having a significant other and so forth.

It varies, I'm sure.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 407
Posted: 5/21/2009 2:03:19 PM
I have a blackberry.

Why in the world would I pay for a home phone? That's just ridiculous, especially since I am shelling out almost 100 bucks a month for my phone service ... lol.
 I_stay_fly
Msg: 408
Posted: 5/21/2009 2:36:28 PM
and also its called i dont need a stalker cal my house, when i reject them
 Lambro59
Msg: 409
Posted: 5/21/2009 3:47:25 PM
Land lines are going the way of the dinosaurs. Besides maybe they give you their cell number so you can contact them where ever they may be. Sure some guys are cheaters, so are some women but don't assume that everyone who gives you a cell number is hiding something. If you're suspicious, tell them you want to visit them at their place (you don't actually have to go) so you can gage their reaction to your suggestion. If they have a lame excuse, your suspicions may be well founded.
 GoofBall311
Msg: 410
Posted: 5/22/2009 2:56:56 PM
Dude, I don't even have a "home phone" anymore. It's 2009.
 Girl_Interupted
Msg: 411
view profile
History
 lostintheshuffle
Msg: 412
Posted: 5/23/2009 11:49:40 AM
I don't have a home phone. Its silly to have at this point.
 yorkslass
Msg: 413
Posted: 5/23/2009 12:04:05 PM
because u dont want someone ringing yr landline til u get to know em
 SweetieGuy_81
Msg: 414
Posted: 5/23/2009 12:29:48 PM
Well, i currently live with my parents, its cheaper...so what can you do? lol

Anyway, I tend to be at home, so i am always available on the home phone line, but to be honest, its mostly there for the internet, we have like 3 phone lines, home phone, browsing internet/my brother works from home, so he uses the browsing one for that, so his job pays for it and a game connection for WoW and other online games.

But once i do end up moving out, the only reason to have a phone is for the internet and i will likely just have a mobile phone.
 bhi99
Msg: 415
Posted: 5/23/2009 12:44:43 PM
Cause I'm still a student...when I'm at college I don't have a home phone, only my cell.

When I'm home, I don't want my mother answering.
 EST74
Msg: 416
Posted: 5/23/2009 2:06:10 PM
Like the rest,I have no home phone but I have 2 cell phones, 1 personal and 1 business. All none business contacts get the exact same number, its not complex at all. Plus if a woman even makes to level of entering my front door it will be obvious when she walks in that there are no other phones inside.
 tropicalknights
Msg: 417
Posted: 5/23/2009 10:14:10 PM
who has a home phone anymore? Why in the world would I pay for a phone I can't carry with me, it cost extra to make a long distance call, can't send text, and the only people that call are telemarketing people? My cell is my phone, what's the problem?
 GentlemanJim4one
Msg: 418
Posted: 5/24/2009 4:13:55 AM
I think everyone said basically the same thing....Why have two phones? I think a better way to judge whether or not a person is being honest is the "WHEN" you can call and not what type of phone. If a man gives you limited hours to call, like don't call after 6PM or on weekends, then that may be a red flag. If he says you can call anytime, then it's a good bet that he is legit.
I have only my cell phone too. Who needs 2 phone bills.
 barbee1970
Msg: 419
Posted: 5/24/2009 5:24:36 AM
I think land lines are fading away. I went totally wireless. My friends and family can catch me wherever I happen to be. I think lots of people are doing the same.
 beachdancer
Msg: 420
Posted: 5/24/2009 7:41:21 AM
Because, believe it or not, there are women to stalk guys. Guys should take the same precautions we do. It is much easier to find out where someone lives with a home number. I do not let someone know where I live until I have gotten to know them a bit. I have met more men than women who have been stalked.

No, by it self, it is not a clue they are taken. Now, if they are not at work and never answer when you call, but always call back later, or only text...those might be clues.
 GipsyKing
Msg: 421
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2009 8:31:05 AM
In this day and age and like most of the other replies I no longer have a land line and just have my cell phone number. If anything that would raise suspicion that someone is not being exactly being honest is the times you can reach them or if you always have to meet somewhere else aside from their place.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?