Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is tha      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 arri
Msg: 52
Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?Page 3 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
Because of the discussion on this thread long ago ... I gave up my land line.

Why would any 1 person need 2 phone numbers?
 ausWien
Msg: 53
Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?
Posted: 7/16/2006 2:41:46 PM
In my case, I follow match.com rules re Dr.Phil not to give out your home numbe beforefirst meeting, and that goes for both men and women.

One lady wanted me to give her my listed number giving complete personal identification, and refuse to give me hers. So it both ways, and it's fair. Now I know why so many people have unlisted numbers. If I had something to hide it would be unlisted and I could give the lady that number. So by their suspicions, ladies are actually selecting the suspicious guys over the trustworthy ones. As an epidemiologist that is so obvious to me.
 2findU
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?
Posted: 7/16/2006 3:16:10 PM
So do women. By the way. I give my home phone number. I don't have a cell phone because I don't need one.
 intreged
Msg: 55
Posted: 8/3/2006 10:48:22 AM
I can only speak for myself when I say that my cell is connected to my hip, it is the only way to get a hold of me and if I don't answer right away I will check my messages asap. My cell is a life line with out it I would be grounded and it worth every penny every billing I get.

I read page 1 and 11 only and I found some helpful hints if your unsure of the one your dealing with and I'm sure pages 2 to 10 will have plenty more and if there's going to be 12 amd more well you can figure it out.

What peeve me off is if you get someones number and the phones never on, really it only works for you if its on. Most phones turned off won't even allow you to leave a message and that's after you listened to the prerecorded voice...seriously what are these people thinking.

Then there's the the ones that don't even check there messages, nor do they return your call and how about the people that do return your call because they have call display but still haven't checked their message.......aaaaahhhhhhhhh it makes me crazy (I should go prank someone lol) and here's another thing if you do listen to the prerecorded voice and you hear the beep/tone say something anything nothing more frustrating than hearing a click as the phone hangs up.....yes we know we missed your call....what a small waiste of time and someone pays for that threw their pocket.

Well look at me, I have probably sounded like some lunitic locking this all up and waiting for the right moment to sound off.....oohhhhh look here they come with the straight jacket again.........nnnoooooooooo.

But seriously I think some people might be reading more into it than they need too, and if you get bad vibes then maybe that's a sign or a red flag, don't be parinoid be careful and safe....do you need a fishing license for the pond....hahahhaha.
 JohnnyPopper
Msg: 56
Posted: 8/3/2006 11:11:27 AM

seems all I get are cell phone numbers....rarely do i get a home phone number...how about you????...Donna in Illinois

I ain't home all the time & I don't leave a message on someone else's dumb answering machine anyway, so I wouldn't expect anyone else to leave one on mine either, I also gave up my landline (and the $28.79 @month charges to just have it in the house) a few months ago when I went to Road Runner (Meep Meep) for my Internet service!! NO ONE can trace my cellphone number to a hard street address as they can on a landline on www.anywho.com reverse lookup, same goes for the Realtors and collection agency's! MY cell number is also on the National "DO NOT CALL LIST" so the "TELEMOUSEKATEER DWEEBS" can't call & waste my time & minutes, my cell is for ME to use as I see fit, not everyone else to use just to gab all the time.. IF a lady wants to see IF I am married after a few emails and/or dates, she can ask where I live and just pop in whenever she wants to at my home, I have nuthin' to hide at all!! She doesn't even need to worry about seein' dirty dishes in the sink or clothes strewn all over the place either 'cause I am a good "housekeeper" I can't live like most other single people, I am (ALMOST) exceptionally neat!
EXCEPTION: MY shop, where my "TOYS" are kept. It looks like WWIII hit it, it's a mess BUT, I know where everythang is when I need that special wrench/jig/BFhammer to do the job right the 1st time..
One drawback in not havin' a landline: I set my cell down in the shop last Tuesday, then couldn't find it, I had to go to the next door neighbor's house, a mile away, and have Juniebear give me a few minutes to get back to the shop before she called my cell number, I found it on the 8th ring.. hehehe IF the lady I am courtin' wants to give me her landline # it's fine but, I usually only get the cell anyway..
 marita_b
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2006 6:00:38 AM
I'm not about to read all these pages of posts so I'll just quantify my answer my personal answer for this question,...

First of all I have a cell phone so the people that matter to me can get me whenever they need to,...day or noght no matter where I am,...

the home phone we use mostly to keep the cell minutes down,....when at home,...

My son has had his cell for a number of years we call each other a lot mostly because he can call me and chat for free,...when he's bored walking to,... waiting for,... or riding the bus,....I tell you this only because I still don't know his cell number which I pay for and got for him,....

He gets frusterated with me about that but basically I just scroll up to his name hit enter and call,...I don't actually dial numbers anymore,...mostly just places and names,...

which brings me to my final reason I perferr my cell,...it has everything stored in it,...on a card no power dammage or loss can errase,...so it wakes me up in the morning,...let's me know when I'm running late,....and has my life's vital stuff all in a small package,....

Now why would I or anyone hold it against them when you are given a cell #,....

and who needs to be pestered by a casual friend or date at work,....that's just bad planning and inapropriate for the workplace anyway,....

As for the home phone,...I know more than a few people who no longer even have one,....
I have an answering mashine on mine that just get's me into trouble for forgetting to check it,...

and that's all I have to say about that,...you can resume whatever now,...
 marita_b
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2006 7:08:01 AM
actually,...New Beginnings4,...profoundly right you are that is the one reason I forgot to list,...and with us here talking and potentially connecting to virtual strangers,...

especially if you have kids living with you,..is taking a very big risk,....

I never give anyone my add,....untill and only after I have met that person a number of times,...same goes with handing out home add.

I don't accept pick ups from the door nor drop offs after a meeting,..

we taught our children as todlers to be safe,...but forget to practice what we preached,...
it's silly,...wreckless and potentially very dangerous,....
 pebbles_2006
Msg: 59
Posted: 8/11/2006 7:11:28 PM
THERE IS TWO ANSWERS TO THAT

either they are taken or its more convenient for you to get a hold of them in their cellphone because they either have a busy life with family & work & that they are hardly home or its more easier for u to find them that way ..... i have tons of guy friends who gives their cellphone than their home number I dont see nothing wrong with that because its just the privacy too they dont want getting constant calls at home when they are tired coming home from a busy time at work or doing other errands in their life....
 Local Gent
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2006 8:30:37 PM
I give my cell when Im going to meet the lady...just in case there is some reason for her to call....I always offer my home number after meeting. Cell is with me..home you may have to leave a message.... no biggy to me
 tom42149
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/6/2007 9:06:54 PM
I give my cell #, because that IS my home number. I have wireless Internet, so no landline phone line. I am sure this is becoming more common, as more & more Internet connections become available daily. Personally, if I owned stock in a landline phone company, I would be selling it, ASAP!
 HOTPINKANGEL
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2007 12:42:28 AM
Seems I have created a MONSTER>...I was only asking IF that meant he was taken....but it did get some awesome responses.....Thanks for helping me...and NO I AM NOT A STALKER...Times are different now...I realize that I need to come into the right century...but when you have been burned byMEN who cheat I was curious as to could that be a sign he is....thanks again for the help,,,FYI....he is long out of the picture..LOL..
 NatGoat
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/4/2007 12:17:17 AM
I don't even HAVE a cell-phone . .
If we get along by E-mail . . I'll _Offer_ my Home # . . !
~ . . is that fair . . ? . . ~
 EC22
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/4/2007 2:45:37 PM
Absloutely not. It is easier to reach me on my cell phone because I'm not home that often. Some people might not have home phones. The only reason I have a home phone because it is necessary for my home alarm system.
 footballatrider
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/5/2007 6:30:39 PM
Personally, I DO NOT ANSWER my HOME PHONE. But always have my cell on me
 jon525
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2007 6:50:25 PM
I don't have a home phone.
I have 2 cell phones, 1 for work the other mine.
I leave mine a home but if someone didnt know I lived alone they might wonder like you. Jon
 Mouseyou
Msg: 67
Posted: 10/5/2007 10:38:46 PM
HI girl,
I've been in the telephone business for about 22 years. When I get home OR at work, I hate answering phone calls. I give out my cell # because it's more convenient. I'll answer it. I only use my home phone to make long calls as I use Vonage and get free long distance. If you want my home number, shoot me a line, but once again, I'm never home except to sleep.
You have a valid point though, watch out fer the wierdoes
Take care of yourself & be cautious. ( like these little smileeees)

C ya soon,

Phil
 Pisces619
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/5/2007 11:24:14 PM
Had to change my home # so many times because of all the #*%!!^ psychos I've met it's not funny. I'm also cautious about giving out my cell... so there
 Who.Me
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/19/2007 8:20:45 AM
Personally, I don't have a home phone anymore...just my cell and I am most definately SINGLE!!!!!
 wahya
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/12/2009 11:23:50 AM
Hey Donna, you know me....used to drive over the road, was never home, so all I have is my cell, couldn't see paying for something I was never home to use, now that I am driving local, just stuck with it, don't get enough calls to see paying for home service....
 hawaiian punch
Msg: 71
Posted: 4/4/2009 11:29:24 PM
Im a girl and If im going to give out a number it is going to be my cell phone as well. It is better not to give your home number at first for the worry they can find your real addy and if they are touched in the head you might be in trouble. It does not mean your hiding anything at all. After you get to know that person and you know they are safe, if they wont give you a home number get up and run away real fast! So men are not the only ones.
 SMaggs
Msg: 72
view profile
History
 kenfla38
Msg: 73
Posted: 4/5/2009 9:20:17 AM

I am very curious about this one...seems all I get are cell phone numbers....rarely do i get a home phone number...how about you????...Donna in Illinois

... There can be any number of reasons who someone doesn't give you a home #:
1) They have no home phone (which is becoming more and more popular)
2) Their cell phone is the easiest place to reach them (as it's with them most of the time)
3) They don't want you knowing where you live until they know you better (as you can easily do a reverse search to find someone's address from a phone number)
4)....OR they could be married,in a relationship, or have some other secret they're not to anxious to share (such as they live in their parent's basement or currently reside in a prison cell).

I wouldn't read too much into it for a first or second date. But generally, if someone is being secretive after that, you have reason to at least be suspicious. Have they not told you were they live (or invited you over?)... Have they not told you were they work/what they do, etc? It's understandable that people don't necessarily want you (who they don't know) instantly able to find out everything about them such as where you live (as we've all heard the psycho-type stories), but after a few good dates... if the other person is being secretive or avoiding certain topics... or avoiding sharing a home phone number which you know they have, you have every right to be suspicious and to use good common sense as to whether you want to continue to see this person and/or to confront them as to what they seem to be hiding.

Best Wishes
 forum101
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2009 10:44:19 PM
If I didnt have kids at home, I wouldnt even have a home phone. I would go cell all the way, and people could have delusions of what ever they want about it.
 Ender330
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2009 7:29:55 AM
All of you do realize that this post is OUTDATED! It was from 2005, when people didn't have 2 or 3 mobile phones, family share plans and My Circle.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?