Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Frrosty
Msg: 8
Why Can't Men Be Friends First??Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Because I'm sexy. IN person; it is not so easy. (not my fault..not hers..but both of ours; I suppose)

I"m trying.

Right now..I have taken a step back from a girl I may love very deeply (at her insistence we stepped back), however, it allowed us to see more routes..and to access those routes..that may allow us to go further forward (if she ever wishes to take those routes)

I try....but..when it comes to women and chemistry...it just gets very hard to not...you know..get caught up in nature.

P.S. The word "friend" has about a mazillion different meanings these days it seems.
P.S.S. Thank you for validating my profile KCE
 Simlasa
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Why Can't Men Be Friends First??
Posted: 9/9/2005 1:39:01 PM
Y'know....
I've usually tried to move slow... be friends... and a lot the girls I tried that with got pretty frustrated.
The fact that I WASN'T making overtly sexual moves and comments seemed to be insulting to them.
That's not always the way it has gone... but about half the time...
... and if I did manage to become friends... a lot of times it turned on the 'I'll never get involved with a friend' rule (this from a person who had been coming on to ME a couple months earlier).

Not a clear situation for me...
Is there some kind of calendar or schedule I forgot to pick up?

K
 YingKissesYang
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2005 2:11:56 PM
Simlasa, you got a 2005 Calendar? Thats it: Mark off the day your gonna have your first date, if you have fun, at the end tell her you'd like to see her again NEXT WEEK, (kiss is totally optional), go on another date, if you two are still having fun, let her say "I had a lot of fun" (kiss is required here). BUT DONT MAKE A DATE, let her call you for date number three, ok thats TWO WEEKS (or 3 fridays in a row). But if you meet them on the internet, tell them you wanna go bareback rump riding with her this weekend, tell her you are a real cowboy too or a Peruvian Monk, just make up some "archetypal role".
 Double Cabin
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2005 2:28:25 PM
Because first we are but men. We can move slowly, but our direction is determined virtually immediately. Good men wait, good women don't keep us waiting too long for convention's sake.
 Simlasa
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2005 2:50:29 PM
aquarium...
you funny

Peruvian cowboy... that's me... I'll show up barefoot and bareback on my donkey...

Not like I got this training at school...

K
 Passinthru
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/9/2005 8:20:56 PM
MsPicky-

There is nothing more annoying than going on a first date, and being groped, fondled, and getting your face drenched in saliva from sloppy kisses that only he is enjoying.

There's actually a not so well known country song entitled, "Get your tongue outa my mouth unless you're kissin' me goodbye"

You might want to buy the CD and keep it handy..... -oops I didn't mean to try slipping you any tongue, let me try this
 Frrosty
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/9/2005 9:05:45 PM

men can't be friends first simply because all they think about it

SEX

Women fall under this spell too you know. IT seems, at times, that I can ask a woman about herself and she will seem bored as heck..but..as soon as any innuendo slips in..

she is all over me with her eyes and smile.

um...

crap.
 Dragoninrain
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/9/2005 10:01:49 PM
Men can and are friends first if we, as women, make it clear that is what we are interested in.

How do we do that?
1 - put up a picture that is attractive without displaying T&A or cleavage (do not lead them on with images.. males are visual creatures... gosh I LOVE that about them )

2 - be up-front about your interests in your profile (be DIRECT)
 deedododo
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/10/2005 8:18:56 PM
Here's why: I have enough friends. And some of my best friends are women. I tried dating one of my female friends once, and it was a train wreck. It was like kissing a sister. I take my friendships very seriously, and guard each of them deeply. I would NOT date any of my friends. I also wouldn't take any of them out five or six times on my treat, lol.

I think women are more comfortable with the transition from friendship to relationship in general.

It has NOTHING, at least with me, to do with expectations. Read over theose ads, and the majority of women say they aren't interested in "players." But these same women are expecting men to become their friends first, and maybe casually date while they become friends. Thats basically a direct contradiction.

Neither gender seems to know what the hell they want, and certainly what the other wants.
 Mary Jane in Wonderland
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/17/2008 10:49:24 AM
No I feel the same. I pretty much have given up on finding a good relationship on here also. They all want to jump bones but noone wants to be there when I need them emotionaly and after all I could get boned anytime I want. It is the other deeper stuff I can't find in a one nighter
 platypus_man
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2008 3:00:14 PM
Too many men have been stuck in the 'friend zone' with a woman we wanted to be more involved with. I've been there. Like Chris Rock says, women like to keep a guy a friend, like 'a d!ck in a glass case; break in case of emergency'. You want us as potential lovers, but only when you want, not when we want. And why would we want that? Nobody wants to be kept on a string.
 DLo!
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2008 9:43:52 PM
funny....I'd rather get to know a girl first as a friend.....guess I'm not "Man" enough! Just bustin' "your balls"
 Xcen
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2008 9:25:37 PM
I am totally in awe. This is an old post, has survived with new comments, and most astonishing it has been mostly males responding .
 Mr1in6million
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2008 10:06:18 PM
I can be friends first, no problem. But if the person I am being friends with is super good looking, then this thing called biology clicks in and then just being friends gets a little....if you'll pardon the pun....harder.
 ergoguy
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2008 12:00:27 PM
It depends on the guy. I have had both experiences. I think you need to make it clear what you want. I went out with a woman who just wanted to be friends only. After a period of time things went in a great direction. If he is a good guy what will happen will happen. I had 2 long term girlfriends where we had sex on the first date, and I a few girlfriends where it took time for the relationship to develop. Decide what you are looking for and it will happen.
 Be_Cause_We_Can
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/2/2008 10:26:37 AM
>> As much as I love the opposite sex, and I most certainly do!!

Well isn't that the answer? Attraction?

You want men to pretend they're not interested in you physically while you decide if you are to them.

>> I'm here for friendship and networking. If somewhere down the line we find we're otherwise attracted, then cool, we can go for it.

No such thing. You don't decide if you're attracted....it's involuntary....you are or you're not in short order....you know in 5 secs. whether you are physicaly attracted and maybe in 3-6 dates if you have emotional validation too. If you want to pretend you don't then that's simply evil....you should express what it's about of move on....if you don't have both and you still want the benefit of friendship and you don't say that (and most women don't) that's simply evil.
 jackster121
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2008 2:46:01 PM
A lot of people (both men and women) are defined by having someone as a SO. Being friends first is a must for any relationship, but if it is going to be a drawn out process most men aren't into that. I admit bone jumping although fun, is very inappropriate after an email or two.
 Remagine
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2008 1:52:05 PM
The OP has confused "being friends" with "having respect". It's entirely possible to be on a romantic date and not push for sex. That's called having respect.
 rjkoch
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2008 9:59:38 PM
It is because todays society--from what i've seen--has blured the lines. If a man waits to long to make a move he has entered the "friend zone". So many men just put all they want out front or they just want sex and nothing else. I believe for many of the socialy unadjusted like me--we just don't understand the time table or can't understand the time table because it is different for every women.
 catman50
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/8/2008 5:35:17 AM
It's entirely possible to be on a romantic date and not push for sex. That's called having respect.all I get is woman who want more from me . I was always told . a woman wants a man first and NOT be rushed into sex fast . where are those woman now . I live in wisconsin . if , the woman does not smoke , you have me .
 VAPurr
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/8/2008 3:14:39 PM
Men have a problem.

If they don't come after you, they get called gay or non-sexual.

If they do try to be touching, kissing and like affection and closeness, they
get in trouble for that.

The way to control this is by controlling where you are. I had to learn this once.
It used to be sex was not done in public. Now I do a lot of email first or telephone.

As I got over 30, being close meant more to me than sex. There are many ways of being close without sex.

I have also noticed that online, people seemed to have forgotten romance and
being best buddies. Whats wrong with being friends first?

See if he really listens to you.

VAPurr
 barbee1970
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/31/2009 12:49:54 PM
I never assumed a guy was gay because he only wanted to be friends. Men don't realize that I have alot more respect for them, when they respect me as a human being, not just another woman he got in the sack.

I know a man who does not date, is 46 yrs old, never married. He just does what mum says and mum says "no woman touches her boy". I do not make a cruel assumption, although I swear he's gotta still be a virgin. We're good friends, but he will not even look at me in shorts or a dress.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/31/2009 5:43:12 PM
First, refraining from or not wanting to play the "Friends First" game, does not imply in -any- way that he (or she) wants sex in the first phase of knowing one another. "Friends First" means just-friends-at-first. Being just friends to avoid sex is like covering yourself in water and baking soda to prevent yourself from being caught on fire when you leave your house. In other words, it's too much and very unnecessary (and shows one's gotten burned before!).

1) If you're really interested in a guy, you don't want to be truly friends first (platonic or even close to platonic at first).
2) If you like a guy, you want to at least be more than friends in the beginning
3) Many guys don't like it because it is BS, if it's a planned situation of meeting one-on-one.

If after meeting a guy, it's "friends first", that means she's not that interested in him (but could be later on, maybe). Guys don't like that, and girls wouldn't like that.

If you're friends first, that means you're just friends before you'll consider yourself more than friends. That means she's going to be exploring other options, specifically, and at the same time, be only friends with you. WTF?

Thankfully, many women don't really mean it that way, and just mean taking it slow. Unforunately, some do mean exactly what the phase says, and many like the confusion because they'll switch "what they're looking for" or the route they want when meeting a guy, by what they feel on the fly. Confusion!
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/1/2009 12:58:56 AM
^^^^^

it appears both genders have defined what that word "friends" on a completely emotional experience scale.

No, it's not a gender thing. It's what the word means and the context. Girls will use it to mean something new and different -sometimes-, yes.

I want to get to know different sides of you, things that you lovc, or how you hold yourself in public.

Does that require being JUST FRIENDS? People do that if they're not bent out of shape and trying the "Friends First" game anyway, right?

want to have fun w/o the pressure of the sex card being played too quickly o change

You're just explaining WHY you use the phrase. We all understand. However, read the words. No sense in that. Just say "I want to take it slow" or "I don't hop into bed". No need to confuse someone and say they're just your friend at first by saying "Friends First", then having to back pedal and explain what ya mean by that to him if/when confusion causes questions, etc.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >