Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nutbarz
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Why do men ruin relationships with video games?Page 4 of 33    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33)

Boys play video games. Real men don't play video games!!

Yeah, real men design new games!
 that sam i am
Msg: 187
Why do men ruin relationships with video games?
Posted: 5/30/2007 10:11:58 AM
it's a form of Esapism which they retreat into when they feel out of control. It's like any other addiction: gambling, alcoholism, drug abuse.

Also, women get into the relationship thinking that they an change a guy. HA!
 ladyc4
Msg: 188
Posted: 5/30/2007 10:50:23 AM

I hate to say it ladies and gents (female gaming is on the rise), if you are having a hard time holding the attention of your SO, it has nothing to do with the games they are playing, it has to do with you. It is called "escapism", and it comes in many different forms. If you don't know what that word means, look it up. Learning is fun-da-mental.

(Italics mine)
Had you addressed your statement directly to the OP( who's probably long gone LOL this thread is nearly 2 yrs old) I would have not felt a need to comment, but your statement seemed to be more in the nature of another damn GENERALITY,just like the original topic "Why do men ruin relationships with video games". Not "my man", ''A man" " my cousin Lulu's man"...just plain MEN.
Yes, there are many cases where some men and some women escape into video games, alcohol, gambling, whatever!simply to escape a life and or relationship that has become anything from uninspiring to downright intolerable. But I would see that as a SHARED guilt, not something to be blamed TOTALLY on the SO
if you are having a hard time holding the attention of your SO, it has nothing to do with the games they are playing, it has to do with you.
let me remind you your comment was addressed to "ladies and gents", not just to" OP". So what I personally saw was more generalization...let me make it clear that I am NOT offering another generalization, by saying ALL excessive video gaming is due to addiction. Of course it isn't. But let's not crucify every video game escapists' SO. Assuming that the OP's man truly IS just "escaping" a relationship he's bored with,wouldn't it make better sense for him to step up and deal with that, either by having a heart-to-heart( or SEVERAL of them) with his SO, or by ADMITTING the relationship was dead and setting the OP free to find a man with some BALLS? I mean the balls to deal directly with the issues( and the subsequent fallout) rather than "escaping" into a video game world? Understand I am speaking STRICTLY about the OP's man, and/or other people using the same faulty coping mechanism(escapism), I am in no way shape or form suggesting that ALL videogame players,(regardless of gender) are gutless escapists or suffering from addiction. Simply trying to point out that
if you are having a hard time holding the attention of your SO, it has nothing to do with the games they are playing, it has to do with you.
is not the ONLY answer to excessive video game playing. It might be an addiction, or it might be a person who hides out from their relationship( or life) problems rather than DEALING with them.

BUT, if one follows the concept of personal responsibility and ownership of issues all the way down the line,it still "has to do with YOU" YOU should not have become involved with a person who showed the LEAST tendency to "escape" issues rather than dealing with them, or who exhibited anything less that absolute perfection of life management and coping skills. Since nobody's that damn perfect, we'd ALL be single and free to indulge in whatever escape mechanism we saw fit,right? ( Iwish they'd create a "tongue in cheek" emoticon, we SO need one. And maybe a 'grain of salt' emoticon,no wait, "whole BOX of salt" emoticon LOL)
Cindy O
 ladyc4
Msg: 189
Posted: 5/30/2007 10:56:02 AM

Also, women get into the relationship thinking that they an change a guy.

Not ALL women, son. This one quit being that stupid even BEFORE Al Gore invented the internet...
Cindy O
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 190
Posted: 5/30/2007 11:32:29 AM
Boys play video games. Real men don't play video games!!

Yeah, real men design new games!

Score!

Am I a boy if I play video games? I haven't had time to lately. WAHHH! I don't want to be a boy.

Why do those "real men" analogies make me throw up in my mouth a little?

EDIT: Meh.. the top two quotes are from different people, FYI.
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 191
Posted: 5/30/2007 1:06:25 PM
My gender is still under scrutiny.. self imposed.. but still.

Eryx_UK
Msg: 194
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2007 5:13:22 PM
One thing I notice in the relationships that some couples I know is that they don't get enough time to themselves. Whether you have kids or not, you both need time apart as opposed to spending every evening and weekend glued to one another. Computer games are just one way of escapism. They only become a problem when playing them begins to seriously supersede your life and priorities.
 Jaymz70
Msg: 200
WHY DO MEN RUIN RELATIONSHIPS WITH VIDEO GAMES?
Posted: 5/30/2007 8:35:33 PM
[You can cheat on them and they don't get mad

If they piss you off you just hit the reset button;

They have a volume control]

LOL! Good one! Here are a few other reasons--

When you're done with one game, you move on to another one, and no one thinks the worst of you for it.

They don't fake high scores.

When you're ready to play, so are they. I have never heard my PS2 or PC say "Not now, I'm not in the mood," or "Is playing video games the only thing that matters to you? Is that all you care about?"

But seriously folks, video games don't have to ruin relationships. In fact, they can make them more fun if you let it.
 johnny prophet
Msg: 201
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2007 8:45:58 PM
I dated a young woman for a few months about a year ago. She was a self-described "world of warcraft addict." She and her two roommates would sit on their three computers, with headsets on, playing WoW into the wee hours of the night.

I would get home from work and see her online and say "hey, wanna hang out?" and she'd reply "I'm in the middle of this big boss battle right now. I'll come over when we finish." Sometimes that battle would last for 2 or more hours.

Other days, I'd ask her to do something and she'd say "My team really needs a healer for this mission, and I'm the only healer logged on right now, so I *OWE* it to them to be there." And I'd say something along the lines of "You have responsibilities to a VIDEO GAME?"

I play video games in spurts. I rent a game from the video store and I play it next to incessantly (in my spare time) for the next few days... then I beat it. Then I take it back. Then I rent a lot of movies for several weeks... and then that gets dull.. and I pick up a game.

I also read books, write music, post on forums, work, play in a band, hang out with my friends, go to nightclubs (once in a while) and many other activities.

Get over yourself. Find a hobby.
 HeavenlyLei
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2007 9:08:46 PM
Vancer--

Damn, that player is great! :D
I really wanted to go to Evo East this year, but the plans fell through.

You might want to check out www.newchallenger.net :)
 HeavenlyLei
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2007 9:12:34 PM
Welderwantedthis-

Exactly! Hobbies can either enhance or weaken relationships.

Some men are obsessed with sports, some with videogames, etc...

Try and share the hobby with them! I got into fighting games because of my ex, and they can become really enjoyable :) Couples being unable/unwilling to share in pastimes is nothing new, but there is nothing wrong with video games as opposed to other activities.
 Coheedrocks27
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2007 12:03:17 AM
Women can do the same thing. I know just as many women that are addicted to World of warcraft as guys. I play games all the time, i also play guitar all the time. Its a hobby, if you dont like it that whoever you are with is playing games all the time and ignoring you. Sit with them and watch them, play games with them, try to get involved.
Posted: 6/17/2007 3:01:47 AM
What is so great about whatever it is you enjoy? it is all subjective. The real issue is a lack of honesty. he should of been up front about such things. I am up front about my geekness, probably why I am single, but better that then living a lie that results in not only my own misery but that of another.
 Peabue
Msg: 218
Posted: 6/17/2007 6:16:49 PM
Why do men ruin relationships with Video games? What’s with the Men bit for starters? Is this a thread or a man hating competition?
Maybe we could have why do women ruin relationships with excessive drinking?

Well let us have a look at this situation.

He has a toy, which amuses him.
She sees a machine, which is becoming a threat.

He sees his girl becoming more disinterested in him so he ignores her as the game is more stimulating.
She sees him playing longer and longer so get cranky then walks out.

He sees one more annoying item from his life depart as all she was doing was whinging to him all the time anyway. She was just all emotional would not put out, pulled away from him when he wanted to give her a hug. Built an emotional wall which become impenetrable so he went back to the game as it at least gave him some form of stimulation.

So girls at what point do you walk over and un-plug the machine or do a slow strip in front of him to remind him you can stimulate him in far more fun ways than that machine.
If you are going to be that timid in life then yep there is a very good chance you will be walked all over.
Should you take a more assertive role? be far more independent attempt to introduce social interaction with other people, outside experiences which will be more fun than the box you should be ok.
Think outside of the square be original, surprise him and ween him away from the toy.

I suspect some just use it as an easy excuse to walk away from a relationship they were not valuing too highly anyway.
Long term commitment is a two way street but it takes two people. Some days the other part of the couple needs to make a stand and lead. You can be the hunter or the hunted.
Partners need a kick up the arse some days. If you feel like a second rate part of a couple then you have a choice of making balance or being trodden underfoot.

Guys, we need to not get so sucked in by the games as they are awfully good fun but don’t help clean the house up. So guys some self-control and girls how about being a bit more assertive eh? If you value a relationship you may have to fight a bit to keep it.
 * Succinct *
Msg: 221
Posted: 6/17/2007 8:30:13 PM

I keep telling myself I'm going to EVENTUALLY get an XBOX and start learning how to play them.....but I can't seem to get off the forums............

haha too true, a person can be addicted to just about anything.
 searchingforhim
Msg: 229
Posted: 6/18/2007 9:10:06 PM
That can happen when you find a man who cares only about his own needs, and forgets that his partner has any. A little while here and there, but days long is an addiction. When you don't feel like #1 to a man, your mind and your heart starts to wander.
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 235
Posted: 7/23/2007 11:29:07 PM
Sorry, no videogames here. Not big on sports either.
 ian26
Msg: 244
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2007 5:49:35 PM
i didnt ruin my last relationship by playing on my pc games (which surprised me) infact hardly played on my computer while seeing my gf...my biggest mistake was going away for three days... .

The funny thing is i play games that have a total ingame time longer than my relationnship..and its been more enjoyable to..
 Affliiction
Msg: 254
Posted: 7/30/2007 11:26:19 PM
(10) A videogame always looks as good the morning after as it did the
night you took it home.

(9) A videogame doesn't care if you play with another videogame.

(8) With a videogame, almost anyone can score.

(7) If you get tired of a videogame, you can turn it into a different
one.

(6) A videogame doesn't mind being shared with your friends.

(5) When a videogame whines, you know it's just the monitor.

(4) You can play a videogame every day of the month.

(3) You can get satisfaction from a videogame for just a quarter or two.

(2) It only takes a second to turn on a videogame.

(1) On a videogame, YOU choose the volume and difficulty.

Seriously, If hes playing them that much, He needs to re-evaluate his priorities in life.
 MermaidMafia
Msg: 272
Posted: 9/25/2007 5:10:25 AM

And i really feel sorry if there is some poor soul out there dressing like Lara Croft while they play Tomb Raider.

Don't judge me!!!
 dtylaitaly
Msg: 276
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2007 8:58:50 PM
LoL if he messes up my internet connection he is sooo out! if MY PLAYSTATION2 gets all laggy while I'm online, he had better get his own connection! thats how any man would wreck it for me!!!!!
And honestly why are there so many women who complain about this anyways?? like seriously!!! grab some independance chances are he liked games before... did you even take the chance to get to know the him first? Buy yourself a control, plug it in and say hey baby I want to play a game... and if he doesn't want you jammin on his platform then get one of your own and pick up some mad skill and kick his butt at his own game! And if you can't do that, THEN take the time to know who your going out with... or better yet GET TO KNOW YOURSELF! chances are your just being a control freak....
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 286
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2007 1:22:31 PM
I like video games

My ex didn't (thought it was a "stupid waste of time"...but he sucked at video games!)

he's gone

I have more time to play!

As long as it isn't an addiction..it's recreation, it's relaxing... real life can take a lot of time too, you have to set aside time for your partner once in a while. Make a date night or something...I don't know.

I like video games
 almostavgjoe
Msg: 287
Posted: 10/14/2007 1:29:22 PM
To answer the OP, I suppose the same reason some women ruin relationships with TV. Do you have any idea how many times I was forced to watch reality TV? Groundhog Day was another favourite...must have seen that 50 times.
Which is why I headed for the computer room...I'm still here, she's watching whatever the **** she wants now...alone.
Fun life, huh?
 countrycanuck85
Msg: 288
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2007 3:53:52 PM
Well, this is a simple one!

As long as there's balance in your life, who cares?! Pick a guy who's mature to begin with, and if he likes to relax with a few hours of PS2, then so be it! If you feel you're being left out, by a second controller and find a comfy spot.

Of course if you missed the first step (finding someone mature) then hit "restart" and find someone else, but don't be afraid to get involved in the fun...who knows, you might actually have a hidden talent in NHL '08.
 fingsuperwoman
Msg: 290
Posted: 10/14/2007 6:02:44 PM
He could be out drinking every night?!
I would rather him be at home playing some game, as long as he makes sometime for me.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >