Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 143
are the gas prices killing you yetPage 3 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
In his weekly radio and Internet address, the president said the administration would begin to hold annual auctions for oil and gas leases in the Alaska National Petroleum Reserve, a 23-million-acre tract on the North Slope of Alaska. The move comes after years of demands for the auctions by industry executives and Alaska’s two senators, Lisa Murkowski, a Republican, and Mark Begich, a Democrat.

The administration will also accelerate a review of the potential environmental impact of drilling off the southern and central Atlantic coast and will consider making some areas available for exploration. The move is a change from current policy, which puts the entire Atlantic seaboard off limits to drilling until at least 2018.

The president also said he would extend leases already granted for drilling in the Arctic Ocean off Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico that had been frozen after last year’s BP spill. The extension will allow companies time to meet new safety and environmental standards without having to worry about their leases expiring.

And the government will provide incentives for oil companies to more quickly exploit leases they already hold. Tens of millions of acres onshore and offshore are under lease but have not been developed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/15/us/politics/15address.html

Did I read that right...there's 10's of millions of acres on and off shore that are already under lease and available to be explored...and the oil companies aren't drilling...could it be,,,,the oil companies are manipulating the market price of oil...naaaaa...big oil wouldn't do that to enhance their profits...
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 145
are the gas prices killing you yet
Posted: 5/31/2011 9:56:13 AM
So, I sold my 10 year old american car that got 18 mpg...and bought a new hybrid recently that's getting 36 mpg...after 3600 miles I've saved $400 on gas.

Anyway, the price of gas is falling just like it did when it hit record prices during the Bush administration in 2008...though, one could argue there are many greater pressures on the world price of petroleum now then there were in 2008...come to think of it...the only price pressure in 2008 was Katrina...
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2011 9:10:24 PM
You don't have to go out and buy a brand new fully loaded hybrid, simply include fuel economy in your criteria the next time you buy a car, whether new or used. Make your best guess on the price of gas over the time you expect to have your car and do the math to figure out what makes the most financial sense to you.

My strategy the past two decades has been to have two vehicles: one that gets high mpg for the vast majority of my driving, and a 4wd pickup for the rare occasions I actually need it. Only once have I ever bought a new vehicle, seven and a half years ago when I could afford to buy a new Prius (which was NOT fully loaded and cost me $19,000 after state and federal tax credits). Tonight my Prius hit 178,000 miles and has averaged 53 mpg in all conditions and is still going strong, the lowest maintenance vehicle I've ever owned. My ten year old Tacoma gets pressed into service only when I need to haul firewood or tow a trailer.

Unless my income returns to a higher level, my next vehicle will once again be used, probably with over 100,000 miles already on it, and will replace whichever of my current vehicles dies first.

I fully expect we'll ultimately make the transition to fully electric vehicles, with the timing dictated by some combination of developing battery technology and the price of gas. We can complain all we want about the price of gas, but basic economics dictates that it will continue to rise, and it only makes sense to plan accordingly.

Dave
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 149
Posted: 6/1/2011 5:25:37 AM

You don't have to go out and buy a brand new fully loaded hybrid, simply include fuel economy in your criteria

But, you know Dave....not everyone in America is out of work or destitute...as conservative people would like us to believe...so, our own personal economy dictates what we will buy when we replace our old vehicles...

And I do believe that fuel economy is important...this is why when it was my time to replace my 10 year old vehicle I chose a fuel efficient vehicle...and bought within my economy...lol...perhaps a Hummer or a new muscle car would be the choice of some...

two vehicles

My other is a 4x4 diesel frontloader...it's farm so I can drive it on the road...but, not too comfortable...still it's perfect for hauling the 10 cord I use each year out of the woods round here.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2011 2:31:20 PM

A 10 year old American car that gets 18mpg, trade in, will sell for roughly $10K..... then you buy a "new hybrid" for at least $30K...... lets do the math. You saved $400.00 on 3600 miles, that is $0.11 per gallon........ You will break even on your gas costs at 181,818 miles on the new car................... Have you looked at how much it costs to replace a battery on a hybrid? Have you considered the cost, environmental that is, of actually building the new hybrid; especially the battery?

Keep burning wood........ oopsss... that releases all kinds of crap in the air too............

You assume he wouldn't have bought a new car anyway. Certainly not having a car at all is indeed the lowest impact option, but not a viable option for many people. My nearly eight year old hybrid battery is still going strong and projected to last as long as the car. Should I ever need to replace it I can pick one up for less than $500 on ebay and pop it in, far less than engine or transmission replacement and far less likely. Toyota will give me several hundred dollars for giving them the old one for recycling, so that cost concern just isn't there.

There was a bogus claim going around years ago that hybrid production had a hugely bigger impact on the environment than standard cars. While it's true there is a slightly bigger initial environmental footprint, that is more than offset by lower emmisions in the first six months of normal driving.

There is a tendency by some to find a way to point fingers at those of us who place importance on environmental issues and assert that since we still have some environmental impact our efforts to minimize it are invalid. That's like pointing at someone who is fiscally responsible and telling them that since they still spend some money they shouldn't try to live within their means.

I don't ask anyone to ignore everything else that matters in their life for the sake of the environment. I do ask that they include environmental impacts into their decision making, and then make the best choice they can that meets their needs while minimizing negative impacts. I don't think that's an unreasonable request.

Oh, and sure, keep burning wood. I do. So long as it's well seasoned the particulate emissions are minimal, and the greenhouse gas emissions are the same as would happen as the wood naturally rots in the woods. I get all my wood from dead fall, so the only difference in impact is any lack of nutrients the dead tree would have added to the soil, plus habitat for bugs and fungus and such. Certainly a better trade off than using oil, coal, or natural gas.

Dave
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2011 3:45:11 PM

I understand that there will always come a time when one has to purchase a new vehicle, what I am saying is that buying a hybrid "just because it gets better mileage" is the wrong reason.... again, do the math. My hypothisis is that if we all kept our vehicles a few years more, that would do more on a "green basis" than all of the hybrids ever made, because the cars that the hybrids are replacing are still being driven, just by someone else. No matter what you buy, if you keep what you have longer, that will have a bigger impact than turning a car over every 3 or 4 years.

I'm all for keeping our vehicles as long as they serve our purpose. I've been the last owner of most of the vehicles I've ever owned. But there are plenty of used hybrids out there, as well as plenty of fuel efficient used regular vehicles. Perhaps we're not all that far apart in our reasoning, as MY point is that when you DO decide to get a different vehicle, include fuel efficiency in your thought process. Like you say, do the math.

A few years ago a poll showed that the average car buyer ranked fuel efficiency just below number of cup holders in their consideration when buying a vehicle. I hope we'd both agree there's something quite amiss about those priorities.

As far as using "well seasoned wood", there is no way that a person can live off of just that for an energy source, and if more than an extrememely miniscule percentage of the population tried to do that, we would run out of "well seasoned wood" very quickly. By the way, if natural gas is used in a vehicle, the only emission is water vapor.

Ah, you need to use your own logic when calculating emissions. It's not just the combustion that counts, but the production and delivery as well. Quite a bit of methane is released as part of natural gas production. Of the fossil fuels, it's still the cleanest, and in my view thus preferable to oil or worse yet coal.

Well seasoned wood simply means letting it sit under cover already split for a year before using it. That means planning ahead rather than just buying or cutting more as the need arises. You're absolutely right we can't all use it as our energy source, but nor should those of us who do switch to dirtier fuels so long as we're able to sustainably harvest the wood we need.

You also go through a lot more wood than I do. I don't measure mine by the cord, but my best guess is that I go through 2-3 cord a year heating my small, well insulated house.

Living in heavily wooded, sparsely populated West Virginia, which has no local refineries, it makes a lot more sense for me to cut wood within a few hundred yards of my house than to use anything else short of solar, wind, or micro hydro energy. I still have an impact when I use my chainsaw and my truck to get it to my shed, but I split it by hand and until I can retrofit for solar or hydro it's my best option.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 152
Posted: 6/1/2011 5:16:18 PM

saved $400.00 on 3600 miles, that is $0.11 per gallon

Paul your math suck's...it's really bad...my savings is over $2.00/gallon of gas over my prior vehicle...not $.11/gal
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 153
Posted: 6/2/2011 5:40:19 AM
Opps..sorry Paul...your math is correct...on the savings per mile...but, not in the cost of the vehicle...I would have spent exactly the same amount on a new vehicle...it's the same I spent on my last vehicle...and for "me" it was time for a new vehicle.

So, let me figure the SAVINGS again...

$O/mile gas saving with the old car

$.11/mile gas savings with the new car....10000 miles =$1100 savings...100000miles =$11000 savings....geeze....that's real money.

To "ME" that's savings.

My neighbor sold an acre next door to the gas company to build a transfer pump...we went up there and stripped off all the usable lumber last winter...because the gas company was gonna strip off all that wood and turn it into wood chips...anyway...It was a heavily wooded acre and we've still have cord wood to saw and split....this year my neighbor is building some spec houses...and he's cleared more land...so, I now have cut, split, and seasoned cord wood...and new stock that will be ready if need be for next winter.

While this lumber may not be dead fall...it was going to be cut and used by someone...

But, of course we could drill baby drill...and the best place would be deep water drilling...

Funny thing about deep water drilling...I read an article in The Economist a few years ago that said essentially that deep water drilling wasn't feasible till oil hit $90/barrel...and shortly after that oil hit $90/barrel...

So, in order to keep us evil wood burners from creating global warming (which you don't believe in)...we should drill in the deep waters off the gulf and atlantic coasts....and maybe add another 5 million barrels of oil to pollute our waters and ruin the economy of a few more coastal cities....and of course...to actually get a well there...a producing well...it's more than a couple of years out at best....5-10 years out....and that's the solution to lowering oil prices today...by some....conservation is never an option...by some.

I read another article and couldn't tell ya where...it said that millage can be improved by some 30%...just by improving driving habits...yet, I still see SUV drivers racing to stop lights and signs...

By the way, I would love to know where they are selling gas for $2.00/gallon less.........

Well...when I save $.11/mile...I save $2/gal. driven over the milage and usage of my last vehicle.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2011 7:57:10 AM

While this lumber may not be dead fall...it was going to be cut and used by someone...

Yup, that works for me as well. Some of the wood I've attained for firewood or lumber (I've got a small bandsaw mill) came to me much the same way.

And not to drag us too far off topic, but I do believe in global warming. And physics. And gravity. Just a quirk of mine.

Dave
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 157
Posted: 6/2/2011 8:51:43 AM

Not really...you didnt need a new car

I didn't???and you know this how???

with increased gas mileage people have a tendency to drive more...

Is this something Sarah Palin said???
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2011 10:53:26 AM
I read another article and couldn't tell ya where...it said that millage can be improved by some 30%...just by improving driving habits...yet, I still see SUV drivers racing to stop lights and signs...

Thirty percent may be high, unless you're truly dedicated, but it's certainly possible to make noticeable improvements in fuel economy in whatever vehicle you drive.

I wrote up a detailed description of guidance years ago on how to maximize your fuel economy in a Prius, and many of the same principles apply to any car, although some of them are Prius specific. Every time gas prices spike and threads like this appear I offer to share it with anyone who wants to message me and give me their email address, but I never get any takers, so I hadn't yet offered it up this time.

It came from when the Prius first came out, and there was a lot of grumping from buyers that the car wasn't getting the mpg they were "promised", which is kind of like buying Lebron James' basketball shoes and complaining that you still can't dunk. A car is a tool, and some tools are better than others, but ultimately it all boils down to who's using the tool and how they use it.

So five of us set out to show just what a Prius was capable of, and embarked on what we called the "Prius Marathon", which you can google for more detail if you like. What we did was to take turns behind the wheel driving through an entire tank of gas using all the tricks we could muster. We went 1400 miles on a single tank averaging 110 miles per gallon, all on public roads obeying all traffic laws.

The simplified version of what you can do to maximize fuel economy includes the following four tips:

Inflate your tires to sidewall maximums, NOT whatever your car manufacturer recommends. (I get a lot of argument on this one but I can counter every one)

Slow down. Most vehicles get maximum mpg in the 30-40 mph range. Every bit slower you drive at speeds above this helps.

Anticipate the need to brake. Braking wastes energy you used gas to produce. The more often and harder you brake the more gas you waste.

Drive like a tired bicycle rider. Ease up as you crest hills, coast down the other side, glide to stops, accelerate gently.

There's more, including awareness of all the factors outside of your control that can influence mpg, but the above will certainly help.

One final note: the less fuel efficient your vehicle is, the more you can save by even slight improvements. If you get 12 mpg and increase it to 14 you'll save a lot more money than if I go from 55 to 57 mpg in my Prius. If you need help with that math let me know.

Dave
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 159
Posted: 6/2/2011 1:57:00 PM

So you sold your 10 year old American car, and bought a "new hybrid recently" for the same amount of money? If you paid MORE for the new hybrid, then the DIFFERENCE between how much you paid for the NEW car, and how much you sold the old car for is what you use to determine how many miles it will take to make up the difference with the fact that the new car gets better mileage...................

Now really...such silliness....The last car I bought 10 years ago, at that time, cost what I spent on this one this time...and I was going to buy a new car regardless, so, I bought something that consumes less of a finite resourse.

But, of course..if one wishes to play the silly game of math....(sigh, I cannot remember much of those 4 semesters of calculus I took in college)...but, a car that costs x in 2001 vs a car that today costs the same x...costs the same, only if one ignores the time value of money and the fact that 10 yers ago x was worth more than x today.

I'm curious as to why conservation is frowned upon by some...
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2011 2:46:28 PM

I'm curious as to why conservation is frowned upon by some...

Very good question.

And it brings us back to why threads like this appear every time gas prices go up.

There seems to be a mindset among some that it's always someone else's fault if we individually find ourselves spending too much on energy, yet few who complain actually purchase high mpg vehicles, actually look at energy labels when shopping for appliances, or actually take other conservation steps at home to minimize their energy use.

It's especially amusing when those who embrace otherwise politically conservative values somehow can't make the link between conservation and being conservative.

Then there are those who will drive across town to buy gas at a station charging two cents less per gallon, but won't buy a fuel efficient vehicle or change their driving habits to save far more.

I think much of it goes back to all the "progress" made in recent decades. Those who lived through the depression developed conservation habits as a matter of survival. Then came the fat times when all we had to do was throw things away and get another, buy whatever vehicle looked cool or offered all wheel drive for the once or twice a year when we might actually need it. When I learned to drive we just kept a set of tire chains handy.

Few of us anymore cut and split the wood to heat our homes, fill oil lamps for light, do our own repairs or otherwise more directly engage in providing the services and comfort we all crave. Instead we just set the thermostat and pay others to do what previous generations did for themselves.

This brief anomaly in human history is about to come to an end. Not that I expect a return of oil lamps, but the era of cheap energy is over, barring some unforeseen major technological breakthrough.

Gas prices will go up and down, but the spikes will keep going higher. When I went to pull my fuel efficient driving tips from a few years ago I found it filled with examples based on three dollar gallons of gas, which when I wrote it was considered expensive. Ah, the good old days.... Soon enough four dollar gas will be longed for.

I'm reminded of the quote that has been paraphrased and repeated by so many it's hard to trace its source:

"All change goes through three phases: ridicule, vehement opposition, then obvious acceptance."

We're right now in the midst of that process when it comes to energy use, with various among us at various phases or acceptance. But change is happening, so the wise among us will plan and act accordingly.

Dave
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 161
Posted: 6/2/2011 4:25:02 PM

However, as long as you are happy with your deal.......... smile.

Yep...the new Lexus HS250h is a pretty nice ride.

There are many ways to conserve, and not all of them apparrent to the naked eye

Is that a Bushism or a Palinism?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 162
Posted: 6/2/2011 5:15:58 PM
You're absolutely right Paul.

I remember having a talk with a smart (well, smarter than me) woman who had just bought a new Prius. She was kicking herself because the pollution created by building the car was far, far greater than what was saved by the emission reduction of a hybrid. It would have been far more environmentally responsible to buy a used car and keep it in good running condition.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2011 7:47:41 PM
Paul, I wasn't suggesting everyone burn wood. My intended point was that it's become too easy for too many of us to just push buttons and have our needs met. That's about to change. The modern version will be along the lines of doing laundry or charging our vehicles during off peak hours when electricity will be cheaper, or monitoring our home battery levels charged by our rooftop solar panels, or knowing when to open windows or shades in our passive solar homes. We WILL be more engaged in our future energy use.

And HTDad, the slightly higher environmental footprint of making a prius is offset by lower emissions and fuel consumption in the first six months of typical driving, so your friend can stop abusing her backside. There was a quickly debunked bit of drivel circulating a few years ago that tried to make a prius look more environmentally harmful than a hummer. That blatant falsehood might have been what you were thinking of.

Dave
 matchlight
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2011 11:13:02 PM
I think it would make the most sense just to switch to compressed natural gas, like a lot of buses are using. We have plenty of it, and a car can carry enough to give it a good range without taking up too much more space than a gasoline tank. The fuel system for the engines would need to be modified--regular injectors only work with liquid fuel.

Another good solution is to use diesel engines more. That would make cars a little more expensive, but diesels are more efficient by nature than gasoline engines. That's especially true when you're idling in traffic. The new turbocharged designs are quiet, clean, powerful, and in a well-designed small car could probably give 50-60 mpg on the highway, or even more. A 6 to 8 gallon tank would be big enough.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2011 12:28:22 AM
Some good thinking expressed in the last three posts!

A ten percent reduction in personal energy use is certainly achievable and if enough of us did it would make a big difference. When I bought my home ten years ago I set out to do much the same thing, and compared to the previous owners have cut my electricity use to a quarter what they used as well as my propane costs(used in my backup heating system). When my fridge died, simply picking the most efficient of the comparably priced options dropped my bill by enough that it paid for itself in a few years.

CNG is indeed a good transitional option until better battery or other transportation technology emerges. We know how to use it right now. The challenge is mainly developing the infrastructure to make fueling stations easily accessible.

And diesels have cleaned up considerably in recent years. Their downside is poor acceleration without sophisticated transmissions, but that actually makes them a good option for hybrids, as the electric motors can handle any sudden need for more power.

Public transportation is woefully inadequate the US. Many third world countries are better served.

As for current hybrid batteries, most are nickel metal hydride, and long ago there were some major environmental problems associated with nickel mining, most notably in Sudbury, Ontario. Practices have improved a lot since then and today's hybrid batteries are almost always completely recycled, but there is definitely a need for better battery technology for us to move to a lot more pure electric vehicles.

But this is just the type of thinking we all nd to do in the years to come, weighing our best options as the status quo becomes less and less sustainable.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2011 3:57:08 AM
CNG is an environmental and social justice nightmare Dave. Far worse and more widespread than mountain top removal in your neck of the woods. Fracking is the preferred method of extraction for natural gas now. Flaming faucets and poisoned aquifers are becoming widespread. Every attempt to find fuels, including alternatives, is a desperate and deadly endeavor. The irony of the OP header makes it seem like WE are being killed by prices, when real people in the millions are actually being killed for fuel policies. Ethanol, biodiesel, and cellulosic ethanol are environmental disasters as well, diverting foods and forests to fuels, while liquidating remaining soils and biodiversity. And then there are the tar sands and that environmental disaster. Seems like prioritizing living and eating and clean water should help prioritize a sane transportation policy and social structure. Instead, we seem engaged in a liquidation sale of unprecidented stupidity.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 167
Posted: 6/3/2011 6:50:30 AM

Seems like prioritizing living and eating and clean water should help prioritize a sane transportation policy and social structure.

Yes water, food, and clean air should be priorities...how to get there from here as a lay-person...unfortunately, we will rely on what's available and hope our politicians hear our concerns (though, not likely they will)...

Unfortunately, mass transit for many of us isn't feasible...I live in Northeast corridor, and to catch a bus I'd have to walk a couple of miles....to take a train that only goes along the coast I have to drive 15 miles-once it dropped me off at my destination-I better be in Boston or New York, because the rural nature of everything would require I walk.

So, for me to lower my enviromental impact...I've changed every light in the house to compact florescent lights...when my washer went I bought a frontloader...when my car died I bought a hybrid...over inflating my tires and driving my kids around town isn't gonna happen.

More than 50% of U.S. oil is imported - 25% from Persian Gulf countries. Petroleum products supply more than 95% of America's transportation energy requirements.
In addition, the U.S. dependence on foreign oil poses economic and security hazards. The National Resources Defense Fund figures that if fuel efficiency is raised by only 7.6 miles per gallon, the U.S. could eliminate all Gulf oil imports.
The quantity of CO2 released by a vehicle is basically proportional to the amount of fuel consumed, therefore fuel-efficient cars can definitely contribute to stopping global warming. HEVs have the potential to decrease CO2 gas emissions by one-third to one-half and at the same time cut U.S. dependence on foreign oil. Compared to a conventional car, the hybrids burn far less gas per mile and produce much less pollution, especially greenhouse gases. The Toyota Prius, for example, reduces normalized tailpipe emissions by up to 90% and greenhouse gas emissions by around 50%.
A gallon of gas weighs around six pounds; when burned the carbon in the gas mixes with the oxygen from the atmosphere resulting in around 19 pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2) being released. If you add the energy expended in making and distributing the fuel, the total global warming impact is comparable to 28 pounds of CO2 emissions per gallon. Global warming, climate changes, heart, lung and respiratory disease as well as cancer are all potential results of these and other pollutants.

http://www.allabouthybridcars.com/ebook/environmental-hybrid-cars.htm
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2011 7:03:41 AM
The US exports the eqivalent of all the oil drilled in the Gulf of Mexico. We currently export 54,000 more barrels per day than we import. It's a Shell game, pun intended.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3c2c1b9c-74de-11e0-a4b7-00144feabdc0.html

The oil wars are being fought for corporate profits, not energy independency.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2011 4:11:01 PM
I never advocated over inflating tires. I advocated inflating them to sidewall maximums which is exactly what you should do to drive your kids around. Car makers ALL recommend lower pressures so you'll have a slightly softer ride, but that means they distort more when you corner, brake, and accelerate, reducing their handling, increasing their wear, and decreasing your fuel economy. The only time lower pressures help is in soft sand and off road rocky terrain.

As for natural gas extraction, it CAN be done with minimal impact, but the industry is woefully under regulated. There are many gas wells within a few miles of my house, including a new Marcellus shale deep well that was fracked within the past two years. My well water and the creek nearby are in as good condition as they were before, so it CAN be done right. I don't know the right way to remove a mountain to get to the coal seams within.

I yearn for the day when we can meet our energy needs completely with renewable sources, but know that won't happen in my lifetime. Meanwhile we'll need to do the best we can. Cng emits the least greenhouse gasses of the fossil fuels and burns the cleanest. It does need to be carefully regulated, and it certainly isn't THE solution, but it deserves a place at the energy table.

Dave
 matchlight
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2011 12:08:58 PM

I advocated inflating them to sidewall maximums which is exactly what you should do to drive your kids around.

It does waste fuel to drive with underinflated tires. But that wouldn't even come close to working on my car. The maximum rating is more than 50 psi. A warning comes up on the dash when the tire pressure reaches 42 psi. The tires gain 6 to 8 psi as they heat up, so I can't inflate them to more than about 34 psi cold. Overinflated tires are also more likely to fail if you hit a pothole, rock, etc.

I agree about natural gas. Solar, hydroelectric, wind, tidal, and burning waste are all wonderful. But anyone who imagines those things can ever take care of most of our energy needs is far off base. Nuclear fission could do that, but it's hard to see that happening any time soon. About a fourth of all energy used in the U.S. is used to generate electricity, and nuclear plants generate about one fourth of that--6% or so of the total.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 171
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2011 8:05:44 PM
If that were my car I'd be putting a piece of black tape over that warning light. Tires heat as they flex, and a 6-8 psi increase indicates a whole lot of flexing, indicating underinflation. My tires only differ one or two psi from cold to hot.

Actually, solar DOES take care of most of our energy needs, albeit mostly solar energy stored long ago in our fossil fuels. Far more solar energy comes to the planet every day than we could ever need, but we're just not very good so far at capturing it. Eventually we will be, at least I certainly hope so.
 Vannili
Msg: 172
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2011 10:43:56 PM

So Now tell if the gas is killing all of you too?

Yes it is killing me ! Not just the gas every thing, I'm living a spartan life to survive.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >