Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wisguyingb
Msg: 118
are the gas prices killing you yetPage 5 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
We can all whine about the cost of gas, natural gas and electricity. But there are things we can do about it. I just got rid of my cable tv bill which saves me $60 a month.(Going with no TV what so ever. Just have a dvd player for movies) Next year when my cell phone contract is up I'll get a pay as you go phone and try a magic jack Internet home phone. Not sure what to expect with that MJ phone but maybe it will be ok. And I'll save around $50 a month by getting rid of my cell bill. If not then I'll keep on using regular cellular service. I also live alone and every winter I keep the heat low, and I mean low. Right around 50 degree's. It F'ng sucks, but my highest heat and electric bill all winter was $104 for the month in a 1800 sq foot house.. (I do go thru a lot of firewood in which I get from the local yard waste dump as well as our private land) We also don't need to go out and eat all the time as well as choosing not to buy alcohol, tobacco products or junk foods in general. There are ways to save $$ if your willing to suffer or give up some comforts.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 119
are the gas prices killing you yet
Posted: 5/1/2011 10:12:52 AM
...I think we need to pursue other energy sources but until those are up and running and COST EFFECTIVE we need to do whatever we can to get as much Oil as we can so that we can help to lower the PRICE.......

Or maybe you could educate yourself on why producing more domestic oil would no lower the price.

Take a look at this graph.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx?city1=USA%20Average&city2=Canada%20Average&city3=&crude=y&tme=48&units=us

The red line is the average price of gasoline in Canada, and the blue line represents the price in the United States. The green line is the price of crude oil.

You see for yourself on GasBuddy.com. As even a first grader could tell you, the three lines—while not equal—follow the same track.

But there is more to it. The United States and Canada are both big oil producers, but Canadians export most of the oil that they produce.

So if we want to know what would happen to U.S. gas prices we were not only to drill more, but to drill so much more that we were able to export, we simply look to Canada. Canada, that nation to our north where they pay more for gasoline than we do, and where their gas prices have tracked ours—up and down, on the wild OPEC roller coaster ride.

Now most of the "Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less"-spouting public is simply ignorant of the economics here. Unless you really dig in, it's hard to understand why increasing supply wouldn't have much effect on prices. (The short answer: because even our most ambitious oil production possible is such a small sliver of global supply and domestic demand.) But Speaker Boehner and others in Congress who are arguing that we can drill our way to lower gas prices can't claim ignorance. They know better. They are lying.

Chart: Even More Proof We Can't Drill Our Way to Lower Gas Prices

http://www.good.is/post/chart-even-more-proof-we-can-t-drill-our-way-to-lower-gas-prices/
 karma1160
Msg: 120
Posted: 5/1/2011 6:14:59 PM
Irish, I put 10 gallons in my tank this afternoon at an Exxon gas station in Elk River, MN it cost me 3.999 a gallon and the bill came to $ 40.12.
At this rate I am going to have to ask for more $ for gas per mile at work.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 121
Posted: 5/1/2011 6:52:14 PM
Sob...I feel your pain...$4.22/gal down the hill...But S@S gives gas points...since I don't clip coupons well...the discount points come in handy...

But, yanno...I find it appalling that making an effort to reduce consumption is ridiculed...that has gotta be the stupidist thing I've read in some time...even if one cannot afford a hybrid, which by the way gets better milage than my last car by 100%, there are other things one can do....like plan the routine trips...figure out how to go to all your stops in one excursion rather than going to one spot, returning home, and then running out because you forgot something....stop racing from one destination to another....STOP road rage....oh...and it's easy to tell which of us might be succeptable to that ....all these things have the potential to increase milage 30% or more...

Commodities prices are a function of supply and demand...OPEC manipulates supply and demand is what it is....so, whenever there is political unrest or natural disaster OPEC takes advantage, speaks about what they will or won't do with respect to supply, and the price is driven up by speculation...and to say that the oil industry or OPEC don't benefit from rising petroleum prices, and participate in it's price manipulation, is just foolish...

But, really....we should drill more...and completely remove all government regulation...because less government is good...we should rely on big business to police it's own drilling operations...because it's proven they do this well....and we should make every effort to consume as mush petroleum as possible as fast as we can....because...hot fast cars and inefficient heating, cooling, and manufacturing can be sustained for at least the next 20 years....we should remove funding from such programs that support the research in alternative fuel sources...these are wasteful...there is no such thing as green house gases or global warming...and so what if there is...it's only our children who will be fvcked
 Welsh474
Msg: 122
Posted: 5/1/2011 7:31:29 PM
You know, I live about 4 hours from Fort McMurray - the oil capital of Canada. They are sucking the oil out of the tar sands 24/7. I'm paying $1.21 per litre for gas, cheapest in Canada - Vancouver is about $1.43 a litre. Do the math and quit your bytching. We ship that stuff south to the U.S. and you still pay less than us. Blaming the high gas prices on Obama is stupid but I know folks just have to blame it on something. Now that we know the dude was born in the U.S. he is fair game for blaming everything on him from the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa to the oil prices. Geez folks, use less, don't be so wasteful.

The prices are what they are because of the oil companies wanting their profits, their shareholders wanting their profits, unrest in the middle east - any time someone farts in the sand, leaders change, borders change - we all pay, the whole world. The only place oil is cheap is where they dig it from the Arabian sands and do you want to live there?
 wheelin24
Msg: 123
Posted: 5/2/2011 6:09:34 PM
I've learned not to complain about gas prices. I drive a Jeep with a v-8 12-15mpg on a good day. It's about 3.99 a gallon where i'm at. Just waiting for warm weather so I can start riding my motorcycle again. 10 bucks to fill compaired to 80 bucks to fill the jeep
 4rumninja
Msg: 124
Posted: 5/3/2011 4:32:10 AM
So because many of you have the means to buy Hybrids and what not, nothing should be done to lower prices? Are all of you who are ok with over $4.00 a gallon the same ones who subscribe to the Theory of man made Global warming? Just curious...High gas prices hurt the poor and middle class many who thanks to the ineffectiveness of Obamas Economic policies are unemployed or underemployed..no money left over after paying the higher prices for food and everything else...I know many people who had to take jobs farther away because there are no jobs locally, driving 4o plus miles one way....these are not executives they are middle class workers....in the past year gas prices have more than doubled...and the dollar is using value as we speak...POOR AND MIDDLE class are being hurt, doesn't matter what you have done to lower your consumption some people are unable to do the same as they don't have the financial means to make the same changes...
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 125
Posted: 5/3/2011 5:02:45 AM

From what I recall, and I could be incorrect, Libya only supplies about 2% of the worlds needs. The US gets almost nothing from Libya, yet gas prices have increased about 50% here.

True, but the risk premium for oil due to Lybia and political instabality of the rest of the middle east has risen dramtically.

From AAA the average price for a gallon of gas on 4/3/2011 is $3.967 and a year ago was $2.895...the record average high was on 4/17/2008 at $4.114....why was it so high then?

Agreed, but there's no shortage. I'm still blaming wall street speculators as the main culprit

Risk premium=Commodities trader/speculator

But, the free market teaparty capitalists believe that government should regulate or manipulate the price of gas...which is just mind bogglingly against all they stand for.

Whatisnewwithyou
Msg: 126
Posted: 5/3/2011 5:13:05 AM
They still have not bothered me that much other than the fact that there is really no excuse for them to be this high no matter what way you look at it. Obviously more folks are driving cars all around the world than they used to be, so that probably has something to do with them being so high, along with drilling restrictions and such. In my state with have a pretty high gas tax. Everyone owning hybrids or more economical cars is not going to make gas prices go down, it will actually make the price of gas go up. Being that the tax and price rate will have to go up, so that the same amount of revenue can be generated. I personally would not want to be the one that ended up with a used hybrid and having to pay 6 to 8 thousand dollars just to get the batteries replaced regardless. Those things don't last for ever you know.
 MsMicki
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2011 7:05:52 AM
If one is having financial problems because of the gas prices......
the answer is to get a loan for a new Hybrid car so that the bank is making money, the auto manufactor is making money and the struggling family is further in debt and has a car payment they can't make!
Uh-huh......tell me Big Business and Politics arent' in bed together
 karma1160
Msg: 128
Posted: 5/3/2011 7:37:10 AM
Well I for one am combining my errands and work day, so I don't have to put on extra miles on my days off, but there are always meetings that happen to fall on my days off sometimes. ugg
I also changed my air filter, since I heard this helps slow the usage down.
One thing I have noticed is that when you are filling your tank if you press hard immediately it seems like the meter goes from 0 -2.00 without hearing the gas noise,
so what I am wondering is : is it bettter to fill your tank slowly?
Has anyone else ever thought about this?
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 129
Posted: 5/3/2011 7:46:05 AM
Yea...it's really bad out there...my neighbor just bought a new 2011 GMC Denali-loaded...price $60+k...sticker milage 12-18...average milage 14...but, yanno...they're not worried about the price of gas...and when I decided to buy I didn't need to buy a Lexus hybrid...but, I thought conservation starts with one person...the problems exist where it's only one person deciding to conserve...it's irresponsible to say that people cannot plan their daily driving excursions better....leave earlier for their destinations and drive fuel effeciently....stop road rage...apparently, conservation is for our kids and grandkids...because the oil spigot gonna run dry sooner rather than later.
 Whatisnewwithyou
Msg: 130
Posted: 5/3/2011 7:46:46 AM
"One thing I have noticed is that when you are filling your tank if you press hard immediately it seems like the meter goes from 0 -2.00 without hearing the gas noise,
Has anyone else ever thought about this?"

That is a very old trick that many gas stations do to get an extra dollar or 2. I would find another gas station. Anyways in my state, tax revenue is generated off of gas so more fuel efficient cars are going to cause the price to go up to keep revenue up, instead of down. Of course I hope I am wrong about that.
 Ailliss
Msg: 131
Posted: 5/3/2011 8:56:14 AM

If one is having financial problems because of the gas prices......
the answer is to get a loan for a new Hybrid car so that the bank is making money,

Last year when gas prices were high the cost of hybrids rocketed; if you could find one. Here in So. California, high-test is around $4.60 a gallon.

It does make me think when I have to drive long distances.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 132
Posted: 5/3/2011 8:08:14 PM

Anyways in my state, tax revenue is generated off of gas so more fuel efficient cars are going to cause the price to go up to keep revenue up, instead of down. Of course I hope I am wrong about that.

I've thought long and hard on this one...and I gotta agree...

It's those gawddayum fuel efficient hybrid cars driving the price of gas up....muddafeckers
 ortyehyuejoeo
Msg: 133
Posted: 5/4/2011 4:46:08 PM
Anybody see torontogasboycott on Facebook. A different approach in that it targets only one specific company for a whole week to mess up their supply line. The thinking is if no one buys from one particular brand, say Shell, for a week, they either need to lower the prices to get rid of the existing gas at their stations or cut production and wait til that is sold.
 matchlight
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2011 7:59:26 AM
We can thank this president for doubling the price of gas since he took office. He's driven down the value of the dollar with his irresponsible economic policy, made the future supply of foreign oil more uncertain through his weak foreign policy, and done all he can to discourage domestic production.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2011 9:25:23 AM
My son works with a man who put solar panels on his electric car. It appears to work fine and he doesn't even need to plug it in. I like that.
 viper1j
Msg: 136
Posted: 5/7/2011 7:15:09 AM

I want a horse

Or a husky

But I think I'd be able to ride a horse better

Any travel not work related is solved by the weather.

Summer = bicycle!
 totalazzhole
Msg: 137
Posted: 5/7/2011 7:23:04 AM

such are our "MAJOR" 'life-threatening' problems in N. America & Europe.

in many parts of the world, what would be 'killing' you would be rampant disease, starvation, cluster bombs, land mines, artillery fire, sheel burts & good old-fashioned bullets & fragmentation grenades..
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 138
Posted: 5/7/2011 11:16:59 AM

in many parts of the world, what would be 'killing' you would be rampant disease, starvation, cluster bombs, land mines, artillery fire, sheel burts & good old-fashioned bullets & fragmentation grenades..

Whew...and am I glad that these aren't the issues we face today in North America.

Anyway...does anyone remember, or have they conviniently forgotten, that gas frm May to August 2008, during Bushes term, was over $4/gallon...and then miraculously nose dived towards the election???not that was enough to ensure a Republican outcome....with all the other mess the country was left with by the Bush administration.
 CheshireChat
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2011 8:23:19 PM
TIPS ON PUMPING GAS
As someone who tries not tot waste energy one something I can do nothing about (the price of gas) thank you Kursty for you tips on pumping gas and when to do it! I love learning something new everyday...cheers
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 140
Posted: 5/8/2011 3:58:28 AM
Thanks to a typo in an e-mail that left me roaring and led to a slew of jokes from friends this morning I cant resist:

pretty soon there will be the "pimping" for gas if prices continue...
"hey baby wanna buy me sone gas"
online dates wont be for dinner anymore
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2011 3:24:09 PM
Catching up after a few days delightfully offline.....

Last year when gas prices were high the cost of hybrids rocketed; if you could find one. Here in So. California, high-test is around $4.60 a gallon.

So the lesson is? Suffer through this high price period, then buy an economy car when gas prices cycle back down again, which they're likely to do soon as we switch to summer fuel formulations.

I have hybrid friends who have successfully incorporated the fickle car buyer mentality into regularly buying a new hybrid with no net loss of money. At times like these they sell their hybrid at inflated prices when folks panic about high gas prices, drive their backup vehicle for six months, then get a newer hybrid for the same price they got for their older one when gas prices cycle back down again.

Anybody see torontogasboycott on Facebook. A different approach in that it targets only one specific company for a whole week to mess up their supply line.

That bogus strategy makes the rounds every time gas prices surge. Problem is, almost everywhere the gas you buy comes from the same local refinery, regardless of brand. Where I live it all comes from the refinery in Ashland, KY, with the only difference the additives various brands add to differentiate Exxon from BP or whatever.

So as long as you're still buying gas, it doesn't much matter which brand you select in terms of having an impact on the supply/demand balance.

My son works with a man who put solar panels on his electric car. It appears to work fine and he doesn't even need to plug it in.

I'll call bogus on this one. The only solar powered cars that are entirely self sufficient are radical competition designs that can only move one light weight driver at very slow speeds in very sunny areas. Some prius models have solar panels, but they only gather enough to power a few of the accessories, not the car itself.

"One thing I have noticed is that when you are filling your tank if you press hard immediately it seems like the meter goes from 0 -2.00 without hearing the gas noise,
Has anyone else ever thought about this?"

That is a very old trick that many gas stations do to get an extra dollar or 2. I would find another gas station. Anyways in my state, tax revenue is generated off of gas so more fuel efficient cars are going to cause the price to go up to keep revenue up, instead of down. Of course I hope I am wrong about that.

I'm skeptical on this one, too, as in most states all pumps have to be regularly certified and there are hefty fines for any station caught fiddling with their pumps.

I've tracked every drop of gas that's gone into my Prius since I bought it seven and a half years ago, and am quite familiar with the many things that can affect my fuel economy, so would notice right away if a fillup didn't take me as far as I expect it to. I've never seen a difference from one station to the next, other than the difference in how much my tank will hold depending on the angle the car was sitting at when I filled it at a station that didn't have level fillup spots.

Ethanol mixes do a little worse, summer gas formulations do better than winter gas. Warm humid days offer less wind resistance than cold dry air. Cross winds are almost as bad as head winds. If even one tire drops to 20 something psi from the 45 I usually run I notice the drop in mpg. The biggest difference is from driving at high speeds vs keeping it to 55 or less, or making lots of short trips instead of one long haul.

The tax revenue issue IS important to states, but state governments don't get to set pre-tax gas prices. Some states have considered legislation to tax hybrids MORE to compensate for them contributing less tax revenue. I don't know if any have actually passed such laws.

What would make more sense is to tax based on vehicle weight, as heavy vehicles cause a lot more wear and tear on roads than light ones do. Check out the difference in asphalt depth on paved bike paths vs. interstate highways, or look how quickly berms crumble anywhere heavy trucks routinely slip their wheels off into the gravel on turns.

Gas prices are about to start dropping again, barring some new middle east unrest or major oil spill. The smart thing to do is to make all future car buying, commuting, and other vehicle related decisions as if the prices stayed high and kept climbing, so you won't have to complain here the next time they cycle back up, which they will.

Dave
 SPARKLE_PLENTY
Msg: 142
Posted: 5/13/2011 2:59:56 PM
the cheapest is 4.09 near my job in the hudson valley, ny

i am limiting myself & try to plan trips efficiently

this is the way of the world now
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >