Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Drugs in profile      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mcalgary
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Drugs in profilePage 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
One last thing. I am getting so tired of people using alchohol and now caffeine as a reason that Pot is OK. Alchohol is not OK in large enough doses to cause you to be drunk ( I personally say no more than 2 small glasses of wine for myself). Caffeine is not OK if being used as a drug (caffeine pills, high caffeine energy drinks). So pot is still not OK. The big difference between Pot and the others is that the others can be used not as a drug but as a beverage with no effects (note the small doses). I can have a glass of wine with dinner and it is just that a beverage. Pot is only smoked for one reason and that is to get high. There would be no reason to smoke post just for the burning smoke feeling in your lungs. And no Cigarettes are not OK either.

If you want to defend smoking pot as OK than come up with better reasons. They are out there. Just defend it better.
 velopedian
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Drugs in profile
Posted: 1/25/2010 7:53:54 PM
^^^off the top of my head i can add relief from some of the syptoms of glaucoma to that list, and with a little research there's probably more.

i witnessed the benefits of the medicinal use of marijuana a few years when a close friend was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma. his doctor readily agreed to the referral that the compassion club needed(strangely enough, with no mention of any gates). different varieties enabled him to eat, sleep and just plain relieve some of the pain of both the cancer and the chemo.

earlier i asked if any of the no drugs folks would reject someone who was legitimately using marijuana for a medical condition, say to relieve the effects of glaucoma, or hep. still waiting for an answer...

btw... congrats on quitting rita, i know how hard it can be. next month will 25 years for me, and pot helped me quit too.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Drugs in profile
Posted: 1/28/2010 2:28:07 AM
Caffeine - yes, it an cause some adverse reactions. Tobacco - I hope we don't have to deal with the deniers here these days. Alcohol - by FAR the most destructive drug problem in our society, in direct health effects, behavioural results (like driving or shooting) and effects on others (like family and people in the streets).

Almost any prescription drug can cause intoxication that can cause dangerous behaviour.

BUT - the PROHIBITION on marijuana is an immense burden of harm on our society. It funds crime, erodes civil liberties, costs people jobs that let them have a life beyond staying smashed and puts people in Criminal U in prison. And lots more. Not to mention the legal and prison bills.

(By the way, 100% of alcoholics started on milk.)

STATISTICAL SIGNIFICANCE: in a 2-option exclusive study, about a thousand data points provide 95% significance. But you don't need that in initial research looking for trends to study further. 200 cases disagreeing with a hypothesis will usually stop further research on it, or at least most of the funding, despite the 1-in-20 (5%) chance it's wrong.
ED BEAR

Lying still sucks.
 barefootkitten
Msg: 54
Drugs in profile
Posted: 1/28/2010 3:57:27 PM
I never said that inequality does not exist in Canada. I am fully aware of it and would never deny that it exists. Just because we don't all start out on the same "rung", as you put it, doesn't mean that we can't all get to the top of the ladder. YES, of course for those who are not as "privileged" it is harder, but that does not mean it's impossible.

As far as the "experience" you think I don't have: I was an unwed mother at a fairly young age. I was not with my daughter's father, yet decided that I was going to do right by my child. When she was less than a year old I started university full-time without receiving financial support from my family or child support from my child's father. (I think these circumstances would qualify me as being on a lower rung than someone say, fresh out of high school, no child, on mommy and daddy's dime.) You know what? I knew what I wanted and worked darn hard to get it. Six years later I hold two degrees and am working and supporting my child (still) all by myself. It is from my experiences that I hold the beliefs I have, not because I lack experience.

If someone wants something bad enough, and are willing to work hard enough, then they can achieve it.
It is rampant in Canada and can influence basic rights, from birth, in ways that someone who has not been subjected to the trials
of "life' on the bottom rung or was lucky enough ( hard work is not always enough!)
There has to be some personal responsibility as well. Yes, we are not born or raised in the same privilege, BUT I do believe that hard work is enough because I have done it. Everyone has trials in their lives. They are simply tests to see how badly we want something. One can CHOOSE to wallow in their crap or they can CHOOSE to rise above it, but people need to stop thinking opportunity is just going to fall in their laps. Sometimes we need to make our own opportunities. And THAT, is a matter of choice that all people have, but few implement.
 barefootkitten
Msg: 55
Drugs in profile
Posted: 1/28/2010 6:19:17 PM
It's not a matter of not recognizing others' paths as being different from my own. I see it, I recognize it, I respect that their circumstances are different. HOWEVER, I do believe that if you don't like something, work to change it. We are the ones that have power over where our lives go through the choices we make. Maybe you want to live your life believing that you have no power over what happens in it, but that does not mean that everyone else should have to go through their life believing that as well. Perhaps you do see it as arrogance or inexperience, but I see it as having a POSITIVE outlook on life. Yes, I do believe that if we don't like the cards we are dealt that we are free to move to a different table, so to speak. I refuse to live my life with a defeatist attitude that I have no power to affect change. Where would the world be today if everyone had this attitude? If you don't like something: change it! Instead of blaming everything and everyone else for your problems, try looking in a mirror and realizing the first step towards getting what you want in life lies in the person staring back at you.

So call me arrogant or inexperienced or naive or whatever, but I will STILL look at it as having a healthy self-esteem and view of life and my role in it. I refuse to take the defeatist attitude you two seem to be promoting.
 barefootkitten
Msg: 56
Drugs in profile
Posted: 1/28/2010 8:56:48 PM
Of course there are people with disabilities that are going to have a harder time of it, however, I have known several people with various disabilities that strive to be the best they can in life. I am not saying that there are never ongoing challenges in people's lives. Nor am I saying that everyone can get on the same level. I am saying, however, that in most circumstances, save for extreme disability, most people have the ability to affect change in their lives. There are far too many healthy people out there who blame their lives on everyone else and everything else: poor parentage, poor choice in partners, friends, being raised around alcoholism/drugs, events in our pasts, etc... All these things are challenges to be overcome, but not impossibilities. It was to these people I was referring, not those with severe disability or brain damage. I do have a charitable view on life that we all need to help each other, but you can't help those who don't want it either.

The other posters' remarks were about my statement that we all have the right to make our own choices. Now anyone on these boards could argue any point and say, "well that doesn't apply to people with this or that disability, so it must not be true." Do you honestly think that every "rule" will apply to every person at all times? Of course there will be exceptions. Do you honestly need someone, when stating a belief, to say it and then state that, "it only applies to this and that situation, but exception in X situation"? Can we NOT be intelligent people that we need to read something into every little statement someone makes and think it applies to all people?

Let me rephrase then: In the case that someone is able-bodied (although there may be exceptions to this, so see an addendum to find out which physical disabilities will be included in the exception and which are not enough to exclude oneself) and barring severe mental illness (again, see the above statement about an addendum), people have the ability to affect change in their own lives. Choice to wallow in one's crap is still a choice, and therefore, regardless of circumstance, is a matter of personal responsibility.

Do you seriously think people on the forums should chat this way? You're assuming a lot about people without using critical thinking in your judgments (BTW, critical as in not generalizing too much and not as in jumping to conclusions and criticizing others). Of course I recognize that there are people out there who, for not fault of their own cannot physically (or in a very few cases, mentally) affect change. These people deserve our help and empathy. But, barring these few cases, if you choose to continue wallowing in your crap, it's probably because you like the smell of it.
 barefootkitten
Msg: 57
Drugs in profile
Posted: 1/28/2010 9:26:16 PM

That is the arrogance and inexperience that she is speaking to.
You tell me I'm arrogant and inexperienced because you don't agree with what I posted so I simply clarified it for you. I'm not angry at all actually. You're the one who took it to a place of generalizing, I simply clarified for you.

Like I said, I still believe people have the right to choice in their lives. If you don't like how your life is going, it's probably because of your choices, and that's something you can't put on others. If you don't like how things are going, then change them! If you don't want people to respond to your posts and clarify things when you misread into them, then don't post generalizations and read too much into things.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Drugs in profile
Posted: 1/29/2010 3:01:52 AM
Saying that anyone can conquer any problem or obstacle if they REALLY WANT TO is the same old blame-the-victim crap.

And it's WAY WAYYY WAYYY to far off topic.
ED BEAR
 Mr. Philmcneal
Msg: 59
Drugs in profile
Posted: 1/31/2010 8:43:10 PM
after reading 6 pages of this all I got to say is...

you can never win.

So many arguments related to drugs or religion its almost impossible to convert one another once your raised a certain way or experienced a certain moment/thing.

In the end lets be thankful we don't kill each other :)

As for the topic for drugs in profile, I want to meet more people, so putting NO increases that chances, however, I will bring it up during our conversations to see if it becomes a deal breaker. Bringing up the topic when your late in the relationship is pretty bad as opposed to the first few times of chat.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Drugs in profile