Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > dilema,...PETS LEFT BEHIND,....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 marita_b
Msg: 26
view profile
History
dilema,...PETS LEFT BEHIND,....Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I too have been hearing more and more reports of that,...

seems when the people are no longer there to photograph struggling and in pain,...
they have to film something in missery,..don't they?
 ~Ames~
Msg: 27
dilema,...PETS LEFT BEHIND,....
Posted: 9/8/2005 10:21:36 AM
Marita----> you sound just like me with that "buy the land" comment!!!

It is unfortunate to me that so few people are posting on this thread but instead bashing Bush and FEMA for what they didn't do.....I wish people were more concerned with animals like some of us.....

I have much respect for all of you that have voiced your concern for our furry friends.
 SICutie
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/8/2005 10:24:59 AM
yeah i know what you mean marita. i have gone on katrina overload and have decided not to watch it for awhile. although the reports on the animals are fine as long as they follow it up with a way to help.

do a search and i'll bet you can find a great organization to donate to.
 msquared
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2005 10:42:52 AM
To me, my cat is my little girl. If I had to evacuate, she would come with me in a carrying case. If someone tried to prevent me from taking her, he wouldn't be awake for the trip.
 grplaman
Msg: 30
Posted: 9/8/2005 3:35:15 PM
I know it breaks my heart when i hear stories about people and thier pets being separated...its just too trajic to bear. All the Hurricanes i went through..I never left my pets I stayed.

Anyways, to date..the one thing i have not heard about were, pets shops? WHAT ABOUT THE pETS SHOpS? Did they clear out the pet shops prior to the flood and or damage? Birds in cages can only live 3 days without food. Hamsters and Gerbils, mice were doomed in the screen covered tanks. Fish may live and escape....but all the other animals. All those, puppies, kittens, rabbits and genia pigs.

pets are part of families..they should get to go with the owners!
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2005 4:20:31 PM
I think we have more than enough resources to do both, if everything was set up properly.

Human life should take priority, but leaving animals to suffer is not right.

This isn't some Third World country - it's America.
 marita_b
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2005 4:41:11 AM
Rock I didn't mean to disapoint you by my coment that my kids don't need me anymorer,....

We all want to be needed,..me included,..and I hope to have something to add to their lives and the lives of any children they will have,...until I stop breathing in and out,....

But there is a difference between them wanting me as part of their life,...my wanting to be in their life,..... and their needing me for survival,.like my dogs do,.....that was what I was going for ,...
 callendargirl
Msg: 33
Posted: 9/9/2005 4:54:45 AM
my heart is torn out when i see these pets , confused, starving, dying, the dog swimming for the boat and never catching it, that was so inhumane ! I would rather see someone shoot all of them than have them in agony and inhumanity.

I love my pets, they are my family , and there is no way that i would leave them, they are a part of me. There have been times in my life I have felt totally alone and havent been a nice person, but my pets, never abandon me !

I have read some threads here that state, 'they are only animals' .. trust me on this one, from some of these posts, the animalistic behaviours demonstrated are far more creature like than ANY of my pets have ever exhibited!

Lets do everything we can to save these pets!
 marita_b
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2005 5:19:31 AM
Here,...here,...calander girl,....

At the risk of being known as a zeallot,...(I know way too late) Mispicky,...

I disagree with you about only one thing,...my dog actually does speak,..it's very funny,..he sits there and he will stare very intently and he vocalizes,....not growling or barking, or even howling or whining,...,...just a weird vocalization,...when he does it to my son (20) it's actually very funny because he comes to me and says,...Mummy,...what does he want now?????????

it reminds me of a mother with a todler that only she understands,.....
even though no one else can,......

I agree (again) with montreal guy,.....with our technology,...and resources shurely to God we can save both man and beast,....why does it have to be an either or??????

callendargirl
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/9/2005 5:19:35 AM
Isnt it ironic, how when we loose people, when we search for people, drugs , weapons, terrorists, we bring in the dogs? Isn't ironic, that the blind person's eyes are the dog that gets them around ??? Isnt it ironic ... these amazing creatures are JUST ANIMALS?

thank god we have them! Imagine, the 'animal' used to sniff out , or to track, to save a human life , is only as important as the time or the purpose !

Have a heart!
 callendargirl
Msg: 36
Posted: 9/9/2005 5:23:15 AM
thank you for this post Marita, I truly trust that their are many more like you , like the terrific people who believe in their animals that are voicing opinions on here. I will say , that when I watched the news coverage of the stars helping out in the horrors of Katrina, that Mathew McKonachy (sorry spelling) has concentrated his efforts , on saving the animals....... he truly is a "Noah' , and I have a complete new respect for him . I wish there were many more of people like him, that werent out solely for a photo opp!
 SICutie
Msg: 37
Posted: 9/9/2005 12:59:38 PM
i do feel for the people with pets left behind but taking them with them just wouldn't be possible. or even fair to those with allergies to animals or phobias.
 marita_b
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2005 8:55:40 AM
Hey there Calender girl,....Not to mention that Mathew is as cute as a bug's butt,...
I may be getting older,.....but I have glassess,......lol

and I agree with you comment,...I found it interesting to note that one major reason given this morning to the forced evacuation was people's insistance that their pets come too,...

and that's why many have stayed,...GOOD FOR THEM !!!!!!!!!

and the powers to be in order to get the evacuation done,...have relented and are taking the stragglers,......AND THEIR PETS,.....

So it seems to me they have done exactly what I would have hoped to do in their place,...

As for the people with phobias and astma and the like I can understand those being very valid issues,...but not insurmountable ones,..I happen to be extreeeeemly allergic to cats,...
and since my own encounter with the pit bull attack,...I'm a little more leery at times,...

But I have good instincts and so far so good,...

so now I first check the demeanor of the amimal,...
 marita_b
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2005 9:11:21 AM
I do have one pice of news to report that I would love to understand,.....

Now it seems that upon checking the now empty superdome,....
the people there found several abandoned dogs wandering about,...

It is unclear how they came to be there,....and we know some murders did occurr,..
so perhaps the owners were among the casualties?,....

I get the impression that the doors were now left open after the evacuation so as to allow animals to take shelter there after the people left,....

because if the truth isn't any of these options,...well let's reserve that for when all the facts are in,...just thought I'd mention it,....

and thank you buz weaver for the information,....if you have inside info,...do you know the answer of the above????????
 marita_b
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2005 9:23:57 AM
Complexmind,....I have no problem with anyone voicing any side of an issue,...even when I disagree,...because it gives me an opportunity to understand them,...and explain my thinking better so that they might have an understading of my point of view,....

I try my best not to preach,...I try,....(this subject matter is particularly important to me)

having said that,...may I point out to you that in your first post,... you begin it,...
by saying ,...you and people like you scare me,.....you then go on to misquoat me by stating that I and people like me hold animal right's ABOVE those of humans,...

and no where in anything I have ever stated in a posting is that a fact,....I just never said I consider animals beneath me..in order of importance,....

apparently and to my utter delight,..I'm not as much of a nutburger as I may have thought because I found others also think this way,...

this in no way means I require or demand everyone think the way I do or I won't talk to them,...

You start by condemming,..."PEOPLE LIKE ME",....it's a statement of fact,according to you....
doesn't really leave a lot of room for discussing does it?,.....

anything that I state is always preffaced by,...."for me" or "in MY opinion" ,....or "as I see it"
or indeed asking questions for clarrification,...I feel that is more condusive and receptive to all voiced points of view,....don't you?

As for proper etiquett regarding caps,.....and multiple??????????or !!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the way I write,..and now you understand what this means to me,.....
If you still consider it rude,...then it is,...in your mind only,....you will find the same in many posts,...NOT directed to you,......
 marita_b
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2005 4:49:22 AM
Since I have no trouble with verbal comunication,....
they would have had to only come once......

and I would have made sure that I gleaned enough information from THEM,...
ie; where the water is,...how best to get out, what to watch out for,......
that sort of thing in order for their trip, not to have been a waste of time,....

but clearly,....complexmind,...no matter what my response would have been,...
I suspect it wouldn't be good enough for you anyway,.....
you seem to be hell bent on proving your position,....
that my consideration for my pets life is unreasonable and selfish,....

seems to me your mind is a lot more closed than complex,......
but your entitled to your opinion,....so I'll save you the trouble,....

I conceed that in your opinion I am selfish and unreasonable in thinking my dogs have any right to life in the event of a natural disaster,....they should of course have been sacrificed and I should not have given it a second thought,...

Happy now??????????????????????????????????
 astrosky
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2005 9:29:03 AM
I have a coworker who has two dogs. They rode out the storm together. Her roof was off so they sheltered with her neighbors, who had undamaged property.

Then the military came in, a few days after the storm. They forced evacuation of that neighborhood, including the undamaged households. They gave no suggestions of where these people were to go, they just said "get out" and strung barbed wire to keep the people from their homes.

She called the kennel she usually uses for her dogs. They refused to take them, even though they had room, because they were running on generator power and they had no gas for their generator (I will never understand that thinking - without air conditioning they cannot shelter a pet???). The last time I saw her before she had to leave town, she was desperately seeking one of our doctors who had been taking in strays, to see if he would take her dogs temporarily until a shelter could be found for them. I don't know what happened to her, or her dogs, yet. She was trying to get to Florida once she found someone to take her dogs in.

It is easy for people who are not in this situation to make statements as to what they would and would not do. It is only when you are in it that you find out you often are given no choice by the circumstances you find yourself in, which cannot always be anticipated, or planned for.
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2005 10:58:05 AM

but I would rather be your dog, than the rescuers that have to put their health, life, and time (that could have been used to help others) on the line to come try (repeatedly) to get you out of the mess because you wouldn't leave your pets.

Maybe I'm not seeing the picture you are. There are 2 groups of rescuers - 1 for the people who stayed behind and 1(namely HSUS) for the animals. These people are trained in animal rescue and travel the world in the event of disasters. A lot of the animal rescuers had just returned from the floods in Europe and headed straight to New Orleans to help.

A lot of the animals who have been rescued can't be moved to safe shelters for 30 days because the people in charge have decreed they have to stay in case the owner is looking for them. One gentleman paid roughly $50K to cover the cost of a charter flight to California for 200 animals - the plane left with only 89. The rest have to wait out the 30 day restriction.

And yes, my dogs and cats go with me - we'd be in the van heading out of town at the first warning. They are all crate-trained and head to their crates when I say the magic word so I don't have to waste time rounding them up.

As for my neighbours, they know they are more than welcome to come with me in the event we have to evacuate. My animals only take up a small portion of the van - there's still room for 7 people - more if they want to sit on a lap.

And before you say I should leave the animals behind in order to take a couple more people - believe me when I say that won't happen. I was the victim of a home invasion and if it weren't for my dogs crashing their way out of the room they had been put in and going after the people involved, I would have suffered a lot more damage than the 3 staples I got in my skull to close the wound.
 marita_b
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2005 11:34:02 AM
classic chassie,...I agree with you and I also have a van,....often I stop by the bus stops that I used to use before I got it and pick up people because I feel guilty traveling into town alone,....as for the ones who think I would sing a different tune if faced with a soldier with an automatic weapon,...they don't know me very well.....

First of all I was in the military and afterwards I was a prison matron,...I can handle myself,...

Second I am the mother of soldiers,...2 of them in fact,....which is to say every one of the ones they would send my way,...probably have a mother too,....

I am non threatening,....but also stubborn as the day is long,....

and in case you haven't heard,...the powers to be have figured out it wouldn't look good to drag folks off in shackles if THEY haven't done anything wrong,...hence as what has been happening lately is that folks who insist they aren't going anywhere without their pets,.....
have been allowed to take them,.....it is a very reasonable request after all,....

and where there is a will,...an answer can be found,...especially if the tool they use is the grey matter,...instead of the gun,.....

I think it's interesting how many people seem to think my conviction is only just me flapping my gumms,....that I shurely wouldn't follow through if faced with an official order, or God forbid, a teeny bopper with a uniform and a gun,....

again they really don't know me,...if they did,..they would know it's best to do what I insist on because if not I am prepared to make noise,...it wouldn't be the first time in my life that I started a (nonviolent) protest,....but if I lost,...that would be a first for me,.....
 marita_b
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2005 11:24:46 AM
when I was a child we lived in an appartment where all the dogs in the neighbourhood knew me,...a couple of years later after we moved miles away,.....one day,...right out of the blue,..
one of these dogs showed up on our front door,...

I have no idea how he knew where to find us and most likely it was a coincidence anyway,...

1/2 hour after he showed up,....we had the worst thunderstorm I can remember,...
until then,...the dog,...my dog and I were hiding out in the basement until it stopped,...
when it was over,....I went outside and without any encouragement the dog left,....

for years after that every time,...we were about to have a storm like that,.....
this dog would show up,...he never took food,...water,...but without coaxing would go into our basement until it was over,.......I say this not because it's a neet story,..although I think it is,....but because animals know more than we do many times,...and those of us that share our life and space with them often can read the signs,....even wild animals know whaen to get out of dodge, more often than not,.....

Therefore if I were to live in an area that were as proned to the kinds of storms that can devastate a whole area like that and I were given a warning,...aby the media and my dogs,...

I wouldn't wait for media confirmation,....
I have learned to listen to and respect instincs of animals,.....it's not that hard really,......
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2005 9:12:05 PM

There is no evacuation plan for that until after it has destroyed my house. Should I shoot my dog if another one is bearing down on my house or maybe wait ‘till it hits? I need to know because we have had a few that came pretty close and it never occurred to me that I should probably do that out of consideration to any rescuers that might come here.

Ok, to answer you question ... shoot the dog if another one is bearing down? Nope. Wait 'till it hits? Again, nope. I'm sure the dog barking will alert any rescuers to your location.
 marita_b
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2005 4:45:38 AM
What if God were one of us indeed,...interesting thought,....

What if God actually was right here among us as a dog or cat ,....I wonder how so many folks would explain their actions,...and inactions to them throughout their life?

BTW,...it looks like there actually is a chance that hurricaine ophelia may just be on her way to my town,.....so I';; let you know what happens here,....

and yes I know she will never be a cat 4 or 5 (or even the cat 3 Hurricain Juan was when it hit us dead on 2 years ago) but this will be the 2 in the last 3 years,....and that's 2 more than we have had for more years than I have been alive,.....

I wonder if this is going to be a trend?,....
 marita_b
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2005 7:08:06 AM
I guess my two have a stay of execution since Hurricain Ophelia,...(who is still headed square our way) is now only a tropical storm,....phew!!!!
 marita_b
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2005 6:52:21 PM
hey,....I like that,...lol
 cannuckswon
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2005 7:04:52 PM
i would never leave my dogs behind. the older i get and the more people i meet the more i love my dogs.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > dilema,...PETS LEFT BEHIND,....