Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > dilema,...PETS LEFT BEHIND,....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 marita_b
Msg: 54
view profile
History
dilema,...PETS LEFT BEHIND,....Page 6 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
You know I was wondering while watching those clips of the rescue on Dateling,...

We know about post traumatic stress disorder that humans experience after a disater like this,....well I was wondering how forgiving of the animals who clearly all were traumatised,...will be if they react out of character for them,....perhaps a bit more agressive at first,...or whatever,....How quick will they be with that needle to "put them out of their miserry" after surving some more than 3 weeks now,...they deserve extra consideration,....

I hope they get it,.....
 marita_b
Msg: 55
view profile
History
dilema,...PETS LEFT BEHIND,....
Posted: 9/19/2005 6:08:09 AM
and if you looked into the eyes of those dogs last night,...my heart is still heavy for them their eyes are all the same,....not bright but sad and frightened and untrusting,....
how do they understand being abandoned like that??????

my two have had a relatively good life,...with a few exceptions and they have nightmares
imagine the nightmares these animals will have,.....
 marita_b
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2005 8:49:10 AM
Did you read my message 112,...about my thunder dog,...
That's not a word of a lie either,....

I think we would do better to listen to their instincts more frequently,....
I heard a story of a NewFoundlans tsunamy that levelled many villages out of the blue shortly after a deep ocean earth quake 7.2 I think,..anyway the annimals that could,..cattle horses etc,...went weird and all headded to high ground,...the people didn't follow their lead,...and they were litterally washed out to sea,...or inland but many died,....

there was one little old man who new what the signs meant,...and he tried to get the people to listen,....they declaired him a nutburger,...he lived,.....

hmmmmm I wonder how many of us nutburgers would have lived also,....
 marita_b
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2005 9:36:47 AM
First of all,Appoloosa....I do,...all the time,.. I can't house them all but I always make sure they get a home of their own,...and not just anyone either,...the numbers to date range in around the 50 plus or thereabouts I may be conservative here,....

I personally have rescued many animals over the years,...some wild and all of them were either returned to the wild once grown up or healed up or whatever,...or I found them a home,....In the 6 months that I spent in Mexico I personally rescued 2 cats,...and 5 dogs,....one actually had to be given the needle but that was because he would have died of the infection stemming from his compound fracture of the leg which clearly had been a wound at least a week old by the time I found him,....
This is something I have only had to do 3 other times in my life to my own dogs,...one that had a stroke and began having frequent seisures,....one that was very riddled with arthritis and the medication made his stomach bleed but even then I didn't do it until on top of that he too began having seisures,....and once the one I regret the most was from a healthy young strong male dog that I found and took in as a puppy,....he was so traumatised by our house fire and subsequent living arrangement at the motel 6 months that he began biting out of fear,...no matter how hard I tried to calm him and reassure him his first reaction to being startled was to bite,...he bit me, my boys,...his own puppies..and he got off his leash once and took a chunk out of a guys leg,(a stranger walking by)...I had no choice,....that is why I know that many of these traumatised animals can get and that they need reassurance,...

Had I known then what I know not I may not had had to take that drastic step but that's hindsight,....

You also may not be aware of this but the spca rarely kills and or unthenises any animals anymore,...they have kept some so long even that they have become part of the place and addopted by the staff who are there dayly,...these particular long timers often have the free range run of the place and actually help to settle down the new ones coming in,....

Now as always I can only speak for myself,...but,...I would venture a guess many of the people here have similar statements and stories,....

But here's my question,....what would you rather do,...go through the city shooting them all on sight?,.....doesn't sound fair somehow,.....or even humaine,....

A friend sent me a note today it was the story of a family who had to take their old sick dog to the vet,...for that last needle (which personally I think is not only kind but I wish we were more kind in the same manner to our human friends,...in certain situation)

anyway they took their young son with them but had no way of telling their son why dogs don't live as long as humans,....and the boy informed them that he knew,....

He said everything that's born is born to learn how to love and be loved and be kind,......
we'll he went on,...dogs already know how to do that,...so they don't have to stay as long,..

makes sense to me,....well anyway,...I like it

PS,...who says adopting from your local shelter isn't an in thing to do,....I encourage it whenever asked,....all my animals have come from shelters or their parents were ones I had from a shelter,....EVERY SINGLE ONE,...but the last one whom I rescued from a family member,...she bought this dog for 4 thousand dollars and then passed it from pillar to post where this little 4 pound fluff was abused and neglected,....until I took posesion,...and that was exactly what I did,...I took her,....because I refuse to have any animal abused near me.
 marita_b
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2005 10:57:04 AM
Thanks Chuck,....The I remember thinking even back then I had no idea how that dog even found me so far from where he had known me,....but I think of him often and fondly,....

Even as a child our house was where all lost and injured animals would show up,...none were ever turned away,....something I have continued in my adult life and home,...

To this day very few people ever knew that I actually brought into a very posh Toronto Hotel a few years back,... a litter of wild mice,...we had mice in our house and my ex set traps,..they were eating up the wires and at that point I agreed,....he must have gotten mom and dad and a week later the day I was flying to toronto on vacation,...babies started coming out,..they were so small they didn't have their eyes open I think maybe only born a day before we killed off the parents,....

My ex was going to throw them outside where they would have died so what do I do?
I pack them into an extra handbag and feed them every hour or so,...for the duration of the flight,...and my entire weeks vacation,....I was there with 6000 delegates of Federation of women teachers, (not one squeeled at seeing them BTW)....those that were privy to my secret well they were friends so they knew I was nuts,...and ayway over the course of the week most died off because they really were to young for anything but mom's best milk,....the last one hung on until the morning I left,...

Some call me silly,...And I know the hotel management would call me a few other things besides a cab,...but they were alive and even though they eventually died,...I had to at least I try,...
and as long as I do that the best I can,...then I can sleep at nights,...

All of us would probably love to be able to do more,...I stopped watching Opra too but mostly because she's changed into someone who's not so giving anymore,..she gives material things to her audience gifts that seem like bribes which are basically paid for by the companies and written off as an advertising cost,...but she doesn't seem to have the heart she once had,....
must have been in the last 20 lbs she lost,....

what I was getting at Chuck was we all do what we can,...and no one can ask more,...it's when we CAN do more but CHOOSE not to,...then that's something else isn't it?
 SANDE1
Msg: 59
Posted: 9/19/2005 11:01:15 AM
Hey. I wouldnt leave my dog behind either. I would sooner walk out of there with her instead of leaving her.

Besides, if I left Tikaba, I would have to answer to many people on POF who has met her
already. My butt would be kicked big time.

Regardless, Tika is my friend, my partner as well as many others around here companiion.

I WOULDNT LEAVE HER YET I WOULDNT TAKE UP SPACE ON A BUS FOR AN INJURED PERSON, ELDERLY OR ALLOW A FAMILY TO BE SEPARATED SO MY DOG IS NOT AN ISSUE REGARDLESS.
 marita_b
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2005 11:03:12 AM
then welcome to the club Sande,.....wer're getting Jackets,....lol
 marita_b
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2005 6:11:19 AM
If I was living anywhere near the south,...right now I would be packing the van,...the dogs,...and anyone who wanted to come with,.....and be getting to higher ground,...

Still no bus for me
I wonder what lessons will be leaned and implemented with rita breathing down their collective necks,.....
 marita_b
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2005 7:56:11 AM
good luck to you and yours and do what you can,..and what you must,...take care
 ~Ames~
Msg: 63
Posted: 9/20/2005 8:59:41 AM
I am right in the path of Rita. South Houston.... I am adopting a pooch that was rescued from a rooftop in NOLA, I should get him tommorow (Max No. 217 from the HHS). You can bet your bottom that I will more than likely be evacuating and taking the new pooch, my old pooch, and my kitty with me.

Kinda spooky with all of the Katrina stuff, now that Houston may need some help, I sure hope other states come through for us....
 marita_b
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2005 9:24:01 AM
Kharma is all about getting back what you give selflessly so,...

Good luck to you and your troop and all of us here who aren't in the way of the sh!tstorm will be thingking of you,....I am glad that your waiting long enough to take the new one with you,.

We are all hoping for the best I'm sure,...
 ~Ames~
Msg: 65
Posted: 9/20/2005 10:22:20 AM
Not really sure where we are going to go. I just spoke with my mother and although the evaucuations are not mandatory she and her husband are definitely going to leave town. I have to pack my 2 seater with 3 pets and basically no luggage I guess and head somewhere with someone that I am pretty fond of, I assume we will head North around Dallas or so. Thanks for all of your thoughts!
 marita_b
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2005 8:43:20 AM
It looks like the whole thing may play itself out with the same results when it comes to our furry friends,....I hope I'm wrong,....
 marita_b
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2005 9:57:48 AM
way to go texas though for realizing just how attached people are to their animal friends,...

Good on them!!!!
 catmother
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2005 5:42:46 AM
People like you are the reason the planet is so messed up... Humans not only are not more important, we're the only corrupted life form on the planet. Where do we get off judging the worth of other lives, when our greed and shortsightedness has endangered the whole world? I'd rather stay behind and care for the lives I'm responsible for -- I'm just sorry that people with your egocentric outlook are so common. Pets as a food source??? Pets give devotion and unconditional love. I'd rather kill off and eat selfish fools like you!!!
 marita_b
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2005 6:24:47 AM
Morph strikes me as not only someone intelligent,...but also elloquent enough to fight her own battles but,..she seems to be busy,...so let me try in her stead,...

especially since this also applies to me,....so for Appoloosa

NON-RELIGEOUS,....isn't the same thing as NOT SPIRITUAL,....

you can actually believe in A GOD,...just not be a church goer or bibble thumper,...

I personally believe in a GOD,...just not most churches,...and organized religeons,...if you do and it works for you,....well anything to make the day easier I say,....

I actually think those of us who are non denominational or avid church goers have believing as a tougher challenge because we don't march our sins to a drop off location once a week,...we carry them,...learn from them,..(or not),...and some of us do their best to atone for them,....I do know this much,......

None of us ever,....I know that's a strong word but I'm using it on purpose,...

so I say again,...EVER kill to maintain our belief and in order to convert anyone else of our particular point of view,....

course I could be wrong and many of you delight in finding the errors of others,...
so what the heck just call it a challenge,..and go for it,....
 marita_b
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2005 6:29:03 AM
catmother you have to be more specific and tell us whom you are responding to,...

but if it's anyone on this page I dare say go read the response again and maybe go back a few pages,...

There has been overt sarcasm used here and trust me,...most of us would not be moved anywhere without our pets and even pick up strays on the way out of town,...

If it's appoloosa your comment was directed towards,....well,...then consider the source the shortsightedness of youth,...

someone who propably has a car,...and enough money for lodging and food while away,...
or at least a credit card,....

It's tough to put yourself in the place of an old fart who has nothing but his little shack and his 2 pit bulls who,..he is informed as,.. they try to extracate him from his home,...that his dogs will upon his departure be euthenized,...he had to look that word up and was shocked when he learned what that meant,....and glad retrospectively he said NO,....shocked when he learned that meant kill,.....not help go gently off into that sweet good night after a long life, and suffering,....,...but kill,...in their prime,....not the same at all

He took steps in his home to stay as safe as possible with his 2 pitts,...had enough food and water for all of them until they eventually came knocking on his door,...3 weeks later,...
and after the storm he took it upon himself to clean and sweep his neighbourhood,....which is I dare say the reason the news guys from CNN were intrigued enough to find out where all the clean came from,....

Sure he could have died but trust me when your old as he is that's not nearly the scarry thing it is at say,...20 something,....and his boys would have been with him,...
all in all not a bad way to go,....I understand this thinking very well,....

astrosky
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2005 6:41:43 AM
I just had to make a comment on what ami had to say:

(from Katrina/Racism thread) where ami stated

there is no state of "desperation" after a mere 36 hours with no food

Some of you people are outrageous! So softhearted!

If it weren't for those of us "taking care of them" they would fizzle out...so be it.

They had the whole world at their disposal. I just can't feel sorry for people that don't want to help themself.

There are a large number of Americans that probably agree with me about not wanting to support people.

And now she says

Kinda spooky with all of the Katrina stuff, now that Houston may need some help, I sure hope other states come through for us

BWHAHAHA! Probably only the "outrageous, softhearted" ones.

Karmic, eh?
 marita_b
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2005 6:45:59 AM
that thread got closed off by the mediator for being flamming,....

marita_b
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2005 7:57:05 AM
So Just FYI,....to me,..

just how far away from the front line are you Chuck?

seeing any convoys go by yet?,....

you know the CNN bunsh would pay for front line info and ....well,....
you never know what you might need in the future,...more is better than less right?
 marita_b
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2005 8:15:45 AM
maybe you should stop reading and go stock up on groceries.....

well unless you don't have a cell that allows for call forwarding from your home to your cell,...

in which case,...keep reading,...
 marita_b
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2005 9:16:02 AM
here here and very well said Appoloosa,...

isn't it amazing how a simple phrase like,....

"people like you" get's everybody's hackles up,....
I know mine went up reading it,...reading your response,...
hackles back to normal,...
 marita_b
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2005 6:36:11 AM
I guess God not giving dogs & cats an opposable thumb (so they can't pull a trigger)

wasn't such a bad idea after all,.....I dare say (prematurely I know)
no other animals have to be put through another nightmare scenario as a result of RITA

yea!!!!!!
 marita_b
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2005 9:24:46 AM
I tried to add the following to the previous post yesterday but I guess I took too long,...
so let me try and tell you this story again,....

While I was sitting here yesterday I had CNN on as back ground noise,...I stopped to listen when one of the reportes came upon a huge metal out building which had collapsed,....

one of the technichal workers with the reporter had heard a whimper and fetched him to check it out,...He discovered a cage,...one of thos plastic on flight transporting types under the colla[psd structure,..inside was a cowarring dog,...they checked and found several other cages that had been dammaged in a manner allowing any animal that might have been inside,..to escape,...the cage did not appear to have any food in it and the only water was what the storm had washed inside,...the dog inside was uninjured and taken in by them until their owner could be found,....

Now it seems that the cage in fact saved the dogs life because it withstood the collaps,...however I have a problem with someone leaving an animal behind for God knows how long,...with no sustenace and in a cage just big enough to turn around in,...

Honestly what are some people thinking,....or rather not thinking,...
some people don't deserve pets,..
 finisheslast
Msg: 78
Posted: 11/3/2005 8:09:32 PM
i've rescued lucy when she was only 7 weeks old, she's now close to 8yrs. there is no way on earth that i'd leave her behind. if we had to walk we would, if we had to swim we would, but it would be both of us. shoot me, call me crazy, but i made a commitment to this dog and i will not leave her. she's been there for me when i needed her in the past, i'll be there for her till the end. goverment orders or not. she may be only a dog, but she's my dog!
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > dilema,...PETS LEFT BEHIND,....