Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > does looks really count ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MMAC
Msg: 22
view profile
History
does looks really count ?Page 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
cool wit me
 kitchensink
Msg: 23
view profile
History
does looks really count ?
Posted: 9/15/2005 8:56:36 PM
Depends I think. There has to be a physical attraction on some level but the other person doesn't have to be drop dead gorgeous in my book. If she's cute, funny and smart that's always a trifecta I'm willing to go with.
 Curious306
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/15/2005 9:19:47 PM
I agree! Personality and confidence and ambition are very attractive qualities but if you were to find the person unattractive the person would only be a good candidate for a friend! I couldnt imagine anyone being with someone they found icky.....i know i wouldnt!
 carribeanking7
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/15/2005 9:42:04 PM
Looks apparently count
but dont count on it to fulfill all dimensions of a relationship.
 boisegoodbadboy
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/16/2005 9:21:37 AM
looks does count...but i think good grammar may count even more...
 happyhobbit
Msg: 27
Posted: 9/20/2005 9:07:52 AM
I would like to think I could fall in love with someone for who they really are, and not who they are on the surface.
 ManeRider
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2005 9:45:55 AM
Looks do count....but it only goes a short distance.....even good looking broads can be superficial, arrogant, self-serving and immoral, not to mention cruel and hateful to men. So, that being said,.,,,,no, I'm not looking for an ugly nice girl...... I'll be alone and happy a long time....until a sensible, kind, attractive woman this way comes
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2005 1:13:34 PM
Of course looks count. As does everything else.
 :
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2005 7:49:11 AM
Good conversation feeds the spirit...It is always in someone else's eyes, looks...
 nothing_2_lose
Msg: 31
Posted: 9/25/2005 8:41:06 PM
I have the solution to all your problems!! Good looking people should hook up with good looking people and ugly people should hook up with ugly people.
 Billbug
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/22/2006 8:35:34 PM
I wonder how blind people fall in love? Just a thought.....
 Bigger Guy
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2006 9:39:17 PM
Looks count for a lot .... its human nature. But!!!!!! what appeals to one may repulse another.
We all have our own idea of what is appealing in the looks department, and all the acceptable variations to the ideal, and that is what we are attracted to.
Personality does play an equal role, but isn't worth anything if the physical appeal, to at least some reasonable degree, is not there. It isn't a gender or lifestyle specific thing ..... its just our inborn human nature.
If we are turned on by / attracted to someone of a certain type (and variables/always wide varriables), that is what we will seek. The personality will confirm or deny the attraction after.
All these "personality first" and "BBW" threads that are on here are so stupid. Looks count for at least 50% of initial attraction.
You can love many personality traits / ways of thought and thinking/ and many other things, without ever seeing someone, and be completely turned off by their looks when finally seeing the person. Its just nature. If you are thinking that the blind do not have this option, then you have never spent time around someone blind. They can see and have preferences, just in a different way, so that argument doesn't hold water.
So...... in the real world ...... looks count for at least 50% of initial attraction and personality for the balance.........the 2 parts together either confirm or negate the attraction or possibility.
Thats not to say that as we change with time and circumstance we would disregard this person because they have changed, (or not) but by that point the relationship could have/should have moved along enough to accept the change as part of life and personality and loving traits have become more of a staple to the relationship (hopefully)(or not)!
But looks are what make us approach in the first place. To think otherwise is foolhearty and wishful (dreamland) thinking.
 Billbug
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/22/2006 11:09:45 PM
"If you are thinking that the blind do not have this option, then you have never spent time around someone blind. They can see and have preferences, just in a different way, so that argument doesn't hold water."

If a person has been blind all their life, what do they perceive as attractive or ugly, taking into consideration they have never had anything to compare to? No, their only perception of another human being is their attributes, conduct, behaviour, and how they treat others. Oh, and what they are told. Looks do not come into it. Sorry. Just my opinion.
 caratusa
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/2/2006 2:23:48 PM
Joan Jett, you are right on the mark, but there has to be a little attraction. However, the personality will make the person more or less ugly as you get to know them.
 nightfly
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/2/2006 4:15:54 PM
Looks may count, but maybe not the way you'd think. I mean, none of my girlfriends would have been mistaken for any of the others. I think perhaps that maybe we sort of work backwards in a way, we're basically attracted to anyone of the opposite sex (or same sex if you are gay) that doesn't have anything about them that turns us off. I'm basically into skinny girls (A cups) but if Pam Anderson made herself available to me I'd still be interested, mainly because what gets me is nice legs and nice hair. A pretty face is nice, but my ex had horrible teeth and I loved her immensely. And some of my girlfriends were ugly, but they DID have nice legs, and nice hair. JMHO.
 ashleymp
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/2/2006 5:29:04 PM
Yes, looks count.
Think of a blue-haired ten-tattooed man.
Think of a man in a business suit.
Think of a girl wearing punk gothic clothes.
Think of a girl in a little sundress.
Then, think of the girls with skirts all the way down to their ankles and sweaters 3 sizes to big.
Think of the girls who always smell like they came out of softball practice, and wear always the same jersey and shorts.
And think of the women in professional dress.

Without even TALKING to these people, you usually make your own impression and thoughts about them. It's a sad fact, whether we judge correctly or not.
 Huggablehottie
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/3/2006 12:45:06 PM
As far as this site goes, then yes A LOT of men have put
so much value into a woman's outward appearance!
That is my experience, here!
 ManeRider
Msg: 39
view profile
History
do looks really count ?
Posted: 10/3/2006 1:40:13 PM
Only if the lights are on.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/5/2006 11:13:45 AM
They matter to me. They rank right up there with: intelligence, sense of humor, political views, religious views, interests, children/no children, job status, etc., etc. Physical appearance gets my attention ~ the other things keep my attention.
 _TDH_
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/5/2006 7:03:22 PM
^^^ What verygreeneyez said!

Yes looks count! If I find someone unattractive up front, everything else about them won't really change that. It's no different than if I find if other things such as religious views are drastically different. Why do some people think that is shallow... "oh you shouldn't dislike someone because of something they can't change"... I'm not disliking them, I'm not choosing them as a possible mate, simple as that.

I did meet a girl on here (well another site) a couple of years ago... with no pic. We talked for weeks before I finally convinced her to send me a pic. She was cute... not exactly someone that fit what I thought was my type at the time, but I loved just hanging out and chatting with her. Over the following months, as I discovered more and more about her, she became one of the most beautiful women I have ever known.

I also have stories of the opposite where someone really sounded great until I saw their picture... and I found them completely unattractive to me. No attraction, no passion... and I'm not about to waste someone elses time with head games.
 TheBigID
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2006 10:16:58 AM
looks count ! I will not reply to someone without a photo , nor will i reply if i am not intrested . the way i see it : if i am looking for a can of pepsi at the store I am not going to buy a can of 7up just cuz its the 1st can I see . I am also not going to buy a cheaper brand when I want pepsi ! bottom line is this , you can afford to be picky on a dating site . its not like its last call at a bar and your just looking for someone to go home with ! your looking to date someone or spend time with someone you can pick who !!!

I'm sorry, I really, really love this post. Its like the ultimate example of shallowness. Men are like soda cans: You know exactly what's on the inside, based on the identifiable label on the outside.

Bueno!
 TheBigID
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2006 12:43:48 PM
Well its true. And let's face it, unless you're GQ gorgeous, looks are all that count.
 TheBigID
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2006 2:47:29 PM

If we went into a sale at a department sale we would all come out with different things we liked, its the same with looks we all have different tastes.

And yet, everybody shops at the same chain stores, that sells the same clothes, to the better part of the nation. Yeah, different tastes indeed.

First impressions do not always count, someone can look great but have an obnoxcious personality and a plainer person can be surrounded by, people who love to be with them.

So what? I've already been written off for not looking great, who's going to bother to find out who surrounds me, and judge me on that? Looks are all that matter. Trust me on this.
 Bernadette18
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/10/2006 3:49:37 PM
I believe you have to be attracted to someone. It's like the base of a foundation for a relationship. I feel younger people are more into looks than older and more experienced. It's what the inside of a human that counts. As time goes by yes of course you get older and look older. Bottom line is it's all about the inside of a person that matters. You learn this as you get older.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > does looks really count ?