Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > what good or bad food do you remember from childhood?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 26
view profile
History
what good or bad food do you remember from childhood?Page 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
SPAM, gross...

i admit i was perplexed to open a care package from my parents when i lived in spain for three years, i was like, wtf? we never ate it in our house, why send me that shit there? did they think i was starving? in their defense, it WAS near Easter and maybe they thought i couldn't procure a ham to bake?!
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 27
view profile
History
what good or bad food do you remember from childhood?
Posted: 2/27/2006 7:29:04 PM
liver makes me vurp, too; but i like liverwurst...
i know i'm just weird.
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2006 4:22:23 PM
glad you liked, kitkat!

i have always loved my mom's white beans n ham hocks.
wish i'd written all her recipes down,
st patty's day will be one year since she has passed.
what a lovely mother, friend and confidant i have lost, physically;
but she lives on strongly in spirit, heart and mind, memories and love.

it's so nice for me to see people still posting to this, thank you to all those whom have contributed, nice tribute to her memory, and those of yours you all as well.
 designingwoman
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2006 4:58:50 PM
When I was in my teens, my mother once was too busy to bake a cake for my birthday. She apologized profusely for getting something from the bakery. She had no need to because it was one of my favorites--rum cake from the La Fiorentina Bakery in Springfield, Mass.!! YUMMMMMMMMYYYY! After that, she always got me a rumcake, which I still consider a real treat
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2006 4:33:38 PM
my mom made fresh creamed spinach atop juiciest crispy burgers i've ever had, i cannot replicate to my satisfaction so remade this my own with freshly garlic sauteed spinach

i adore cooking and fall is nigh, out comes the gigantic crockpot for soups, beans and stews. the basis for these i learned in my mother's kitchen long ago, some stay exactly the same; while others are given a new twist for changing seasons and tastes

i disliked roasted eggplant then, but adore it now in prepared in variant ways

she taught me to use the freshest ingredients and quality knives and cookware. i sure do miss my mom today, revived this thread in her honor on the near cusp of seasonal change
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2007 7:38:29 PM
in honor of my mother's memory (st patty's day marks the anniversary of her death) and it was in part her cooking that inspired my love of all types of cooking as well as the creation of this thread in the first place.

so i'm appealing to you for authentic rumanian, german, hungarian or other eastern block recipes. i haven't been able to properly recreate her veal schnitzle, so thin and with a great light breading, her fried chicken, or any of her light pastries except pies and my own version of strudel...

thanking you in advance, and for all these great responses!
~j~
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2007 9:02:19 PM
my mom's cabbage rolls were SO good~ spicy and tender, all that loving roasted crispy buttery cabbage swimming in her homemade sauce took hours and was so savory.

and her creamed spinach was great with a fried egg; both atop a crisp burger n homemade french fries. such a cardio scare though, i saute spinach with garlic and eat it raw in sandwiches, in salads, sneak it into soups...

not into the ham or faux ham:spam at all; no thanks; pass!

and beef tongue, no way mom would even try that on us; thank God!
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/5/2007 10:47:42 PM
"it is said that in the great white north...the mighty pike will not die till the sun goes down"...(they dont actually say that random entry...it just sounded cool)......i got bit by a pike once...the anti-coagulant in its mouth made my thumb bleed for about 6 hours,,,
i detested fish of any kind as a kid...pickerel...(walleyes) are excellent tho as is pike if they are northerns and caught in cold water
speckled trout is good too...
the grossest thing i ever tried...but i did actually like it at first...was tongue...i was about 9 or 10...eating at my aunts house one day...i was noshin on a plate of cold cuts...this one particularily innocuous slice of meat tasted pretty good so i scarfed a whole bunch down...i asked auntie what that stuff was...she said tongue...it tasted better going into my stomach than it did comin out...
my g/f and i were in wisconsin dells one year...eating at dennys...i never even heard of grits before but i saw them on the menu and inquired about them...after hearing how disgusting they were from a whole bunch of ppl i decided...i'll try them...i dont know what all the flap was about...grits are just another hot cereal...i think they are wheat hearts...i liked'em
my most all time fave treat from childhood was cheese pie...its almost like a quiche...i think theres 5 kinds of cheeses in it...or 4...i'd hafta look at the recipe...
old and medium cheddar...cottage cheese...(or ricotta)...parmesan i think...and romano...theres also bits of ham and pepperoni in it as well as eggs..its baked in a crust with a top layer of crust...the top has holes cut in it to allow steam to escape...
i am very reluctant to post this recipe cuz granny brought the basic recipe over from italy in 1894 and its been in the family...closely guarded ever since...
oh ya..all time worst food...for me anyway...brussel sprouts...(i just burped up cud typing the name)...they just disgust me...same as turnips...ewww ewww ewww
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2007 6:02:29 PM
dumplings with cooked plums inside; sweetened by rolling in sugar & cinnamon~
i saw another fish refer to it as a certain name i am unfamiliar with...
my mom was german, born in rumania, but i am wondering who knows what this is called, and how to make it, as i cannot replicate it like hers, mmm mmm good!
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2007 7:43:15 PM
i do both, they all end up in boiling water and sometimes it seems easier with a sharp knife and others i use a spoon to quickly coax them into their bath. i save the leftovers and flash fry them for a crispy outer texture too; but it's been a long time since i've made them.

my mom made a dry roux for them sometimes, but i never mastered the technique; mine always seemed burnt!

how do you make yours?
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/27/2007 8:35:20 AM
lol@ steakettes...those shapeless tasteless little pieces of meat that look like they have been trampled by guys wearin golf shoes...
faves: hot home made peach pie w/ ice cream
cheese souffle w/ ham and cabbage rolls
oven hot heel of bread slathered with butter and the foam you skim off when making strawberry jam
chili w/ garlic toast
least faves: the very first "TV dinners"...(they are not as bad these days but they still have the hell processed out of them)
soggy fish sticks...(i only eat fresh walleye...or tuna)
canned peas
turnips...(ewww...they are just rude)
brussel sprouts
 curlygrl
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2007 10:05:44 AM
Liver - my mom would cook it and I would
sit on the front step until it was over -
I would not eat that night - I would rather
starve than eat liver-
Foods I remember - artichokes stuffed with breadcrumbs
and garlic- homemade raviolis - homemade pizza - homemade
canolis -Cuccidahtis - sicilian fig cookies we make together - - oh and
biscotti - but not like the ones you buy - these are round
with black pepper you boil them and then you bake them
- and you dip them in coffee -
 whim_zical
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/3/2007 2:21:34 PM
good - fresh out of the pot home made strawberry jam on white bread. peanutbutter and jam sandwiches.

bad - overcooked, congealed, crispy fried eggs. canned pork and beans. frozen fish sticks. warm ham sandwiches.
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/10/2007 8:05:21 PM
almost forgot one of the worstest ever...
canned string beans..2xewwwwwww
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2007 9:39:01 PM
even though my dear mom passed just over 2 years ago, i wanted to remember her, and honor all mothers this mother's day; hope it's a happy one for everybody!

i've already posted many good food memories i have from my mother, can't think of anything really nasty she made with the exception of liver...

and yes, i know many of you love the stuff, i have to wonder why anyone would want to eat an organ that toxifies waste products from another animal is just beyond me.
i was more than thankful when she stopped making it and forcing me to eat it.
(thanks mom, i'm still finding reasons to be very thankful that you were my dear mother for so many years, and i so miss you!)
 IceFish Muirgheal
Msg: 42
Posted: 5/12/2007 10:03:50 PM
The good food list,included the most ornate Christmas and Easter Dinners served with an elegant setting. My favourite drink as a child was pineapple and gingerale mixed together. I also enjoyed mashed potatoes,turkey, jellied salads, dinner rolls,lum pudding and shortbread cookies.
Day to day standard was much different and my family ate mostly meat,potatoes
and salads.
My own personal list as a child
Kraft Macaroni
DeliSandwiches
Peanut Butter cut into fingers
Cinnamon Toast
Cookies
Mars Bars
Cherry Blossoms
Lolas
10 cent candy necklaces,strawberries
and yes I remember the stories too........
 june7777
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2007 12:37:47 PM
I guess the Sunday dinners I liked best...Chicken and the works....
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2007 12:49:55 PM
so many great responses here; thank you!

now if only i could replicate my mother's savory roasts...
i think i can, i think i can, i will myself to accomplish this feat this autumn, as a tribute.
keep em coming people, please!
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2007 8:25:57 PM
Yes, nutmeg. Eeeshhh! Ditto brussels sprouts and lima beans, Fist!

WW
 becca210
Msg: 46
Posted: 9/27/2007 1:09:49 AM
Amazing. This is my first look at the food thread. Part of this was like reading a good English novel. Thanks for sharing.
Being from the South, food has always been a big deal and I come from a family of excellent cooks. My mom made biscuits (homemade from scratch every morning) because it was
what my Dad preferred.
She also kept wonderful tea cakes in the cookie jar.
I don't remember hating anything.......although there were foods we would have on
Saturday when my dad was not at home....because we liked them and he didn't.
I remember special things like:
fresh coconut layer cake, my dad's beef stew (made with clear broths and vegetables that didn't fall apart plus lots of pepper), vegetable soup made from our garden, cobbler made from fresh picked berries, fried chicken livers with rice and gravy, big/thick burgers from
the grill......
Gosh the list goes on and on. Thanks for stirring the memories.
Becca
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2007 11:51:39 AM
i love reading about all the rich experiences within this thread, people sharing their stories and memories.
i thank each of you for doing so.

as a child my tastebuds weren't keen on eggplant and my eastern block mother loved it. she made a dish of sauteing them with colored peppers and onions but i can't remember the spices she used. i do recall greatly disliking it but now wish i had had the ability to appreciate it and taken the time to have written it down, but that is another reason i am spurned to try to recreate dishes i once didn't care for in the least.
 crazytracey
Msg: 48
Posted: 9/27/2007 11:57:16 AM
Softedge, this is a really good topic, Nice to see it was resurected:)
 designingwoman
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2007 6:57:46 PM
College food can be good--we have the yummiest french toast sticks and breakfast potatoes at school. MMMMM And that fabulous Green Mountain coffee to go with it!! They also make wonderful grilled cheese sandwiches with tomatoes and they use fresh cut french fries. I like the cranberry/grape juice with that for lunch.

Friends like to spoil me with treats---I had a lobster roll today and it was deeelish!! I LOVE lobster rolls. They make me think of LUNCH, my favorite lobster roll joint on Long Island. (Lawn Guyland )

A friend gave me some Alaskan crab legs to cook, and they were awesome with garlic butter.

Good food is so wonderful and makes life so worthwhile, especially when enjoying it with friends and family.
 carpemd
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2007 8:52:47 PM
Good: Eggplant parmagiana! My parents would remove the seeds from the eggplant slices so there was no bitterness. Stuffed artichokes! The one food I could eat every day and never tire of. I make 'em both the same way.

Bad: Liver and any squash except zucchini. To this day I won't eat either.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > what good or bad food do you remember from childhood?