Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > what good or bad food do you remember from childhood?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 june7777
Msg: 43
view profile
History
what good or bad food do you remember from childhood?Page 4 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I guess the Sunday dinners I liked best...Chicken and the works....
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 44
view profile
History
what good or bad food do you remember from childhood?
Posted: 9/16/2007 12:49:55 PM
so many great responses here; thank you!

now if only i could replicate my mother's savory roasts...
i think i can, i think i can, i will myself to accomplish this feat this autumn, as a tribute.
keep em coming people, please!
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2007 8:25:57 PM
Yes, nutmeg. Eeeshhh! Ditto brussels sprouts and lima beans, Fist!

WW
 becca210
Msg: 46
Posted: 9/27/2007 1:09:49 AM
Amazing. This is my first look at the food thread. Part of this was like reading a good English novel. Thanks for sharing.
Being from the South, food has always been a big deal and I come from a family of excellent cooks. My mom made biscuits (homemade from scratch every morning) because it was
what my Dad preferred.
She also kept wonderful tea cakes in the cookie jar.
I don't remember hating anything.......although there were foods we would have on
Saturday when my dad was not at home....because we liked them and he didn't.
I remember special things like:
fresh coconut layer cake, my dad's beef stew (made with clear broths and vegetables that didn't fall apart plus lots of pepper), vegetable soup made from our garden, cobbler made from fresh picked berries, fried chicken livers with rice and gravy, big/thick burgers from
the grill......
Gosh the list goes on and on. Thanks for stirring the memories.
Becca
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2007 11:51:39 AM
i love reading about all the rich experiences within this thread, people sharing their stories and memories.
i thank each of you for doing so.

as a child my tastebuds weren't keen on eggplant and my eastern block mother loved it. she made a dish of sauteing them with colored peppers and onions but i can't remember the spices she used. i do recall greatly disliking it but now wish i had had the ability to appreciate it and taken the time to have written it down, but that is another reason i am spurned to try to recreate dishes i once didn't care for in the least.
 crazytracey
Msg: 48
Posted: 9/27/2007 11:57:16 AM
Softedge, this is a really good topic, Nice to see it was resurected:)
 designingwoman
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2007 6:57:46 PM
College food can be good--we have the yummiest french toast sticks and breakfast potatoes at school. MMMMM And that fabulous Green Mountain coffee to go with it!! They also make wonderful grilled cheese sandwiches with tomatoes and they use fresh cut french fries. I like the cranberry/grape juice with that for lunch.

Friends like to spoil me with treats---I had a lobster roll today and it was deeelish!! I LOVE lobster rolls. They make me think of LUNCH, my favorite lobster roll joint on Long Island. (Lawn Guyland )

A friend gave me some Alaskan crab legs to cook, and they were awesome with garlic butter.

Good food is so wonderful and makes life so worthwhile, especially when enjoying it with friends and family.
 carpemd
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2007 8:52:47 PM
Good: Eggplant parmagiana! My parents would remove the seeds from the eggplant slices so there was no bitterness. Stuffed artichokes! The one food I could eat every day and never tire of. I make 'em both the same way.

Bad: Liver and any squash except zucchini. To this day I won't eat either.
 psunit
Msg: 51
Posted: 11/10/2007 4:41:50 PM
My favorite food memories are my late grandma's homemade cherry pie, frosty root beer, my great-grandmother's salmon cakes/crab cakes and from my Pennsylvania Dutch background: chicken corn soup, green beans/potatoes/ham, pot pie (not the kind you bake in an oven), hog maw, lebanon/sweet bologna, and chow chow. I also highly covet my mom's potato salad, my grandpa's homemade chocolate and custard pies, and my grandma's corn cakes that you eat like pancakes with butter and lots of king syrup!
 designingwoman
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2007 7:05:51 PM
I agree with the poster who hates oatmeal. The mere thought of eating that stuff makes me want to hurl. It's the nastiest stuff!! I don't even like oatmeal cookies. The texture of that stuff is so revolting!!

But cornbread???? Yeah, NOW you are talkin'!! There's nothing like warm cornbread with a pat of butter. YUMMY

My mother's lemon meringue pie and Irish soda bread, YUMMY!!!
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2007 9:11:04 AM
My Mom was a reasonable cook, God bless her soul.

However, as much as I try to understand it, I still cannot wrap my mind around going to school with sardine sandwiches made with "Millionaire" brand skinless and boneless sardines (which I like) served on heavily buttered white bread.

I figure I was lucky my heart didn't clog up by 8th grade.

With an Irish immigrant past, steak and potatoes were pretty much a staple diet. That was back in the days when steak was rather cheap. I haven't had one since I left home, btw.....in 1977. If I'm lucky, I won't ever have another.

I remember going to a Winnipeg steakhouse, and our family discovering this culinary wonder called "a baked potato with sour cream and chives" . Somehow, this discovery had not reached Quebec City and ( I assume) passed it by up to mid 1966.

Stunned by the invention, it quickly replaced the mashed/fried potato as a side dish to steak - improving it ....slightly.

Chinese food back then was chicken fried rice, egg rolls , and chop suey. That never really impressed me. When I discovered REAL Chinese food a couple of decades later, I realized how great it really was.

Kraft Dinner ? Loved it then, and love it now. Unlike my Mom's "package directions prepared " version of that dish I make it without any milk. Cook the noodles, drain them dry, and then drop a large dab of butter in to them. Coat the noodles well with it over the stove while mixing, and then add the "cheese" powder.

That's all you need.
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2008 6:28:02 PM
ok so tonight i made chicken paprikas and since i couldn't remember how to properly make spaetzle instead i opted for a cross between potato dumplings and the better tasting, better textured spaetzle. no traditional cucumber salad nor thick slices (read slabs) of french bread cut on the diagonal, but smooth whole grain white sara lee bread and butter. so just paprikas, dumplingspaetzle, bread n butter and well... some peas dabbed with butter, salt n pepper. i wasn't happy with the faux dumplings at all.

anyone out here have a foolproof spaetzle recipe? one that you've actually used and is tried and true? what do you prefer, dumplings or spaetzle, and why; please?

nowhere near as sweet and smokey as my mom's. but a sort of smallish tribute to her to kick off the holiday season. now, who else recently made something they recall (even IF incorrectly,) from their childhood?
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2009 7:52:38 PM
who here knows how to make policintas?
or spaetzle, correctly; i must be doing something wrong!
and it's been ages since i made stuffed cabbage, anyone willing to share their recipes for the above would be greatly appreciated because cooler weather is around the corner and i'm looking to make some cozyish food soon.
thanks for your suggestions, hope this finds everyone healthy and doing well.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2009 11:10:54 PM
if I had to chose ONE favorite food from my childhood, it would probably be blackberry cobblers ... my aunt would send all us cousins down to the creek with pails where we'd eat most of the blackberries but bring back enuf for her to make several huge cobblers! yum! I think I've perfected my version of her recipe ...

works equally well with peaches ...

the recipe given previously for dumplings was really interesting (whip egg whites, gently fold in egg yolks then sprinkle in cream of wheat) ... as I'd NEVER have thot to make it that way ... maybe I'll try it! my aunt always used cream fresh from the dairy and good old Bisquick!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2009 3:21:27 PM
I love this thread! I already posted my favorite GOOD FOOD from my childhood ... my Aunt Myrtie's blackberry cobblers and Aunt Grace's peach cobblers ...

probably my WORST BAD FOOD experience was trying to gag down my mother's version of cream of wheat ... I have TRIED to replicate the horrible lumps of cream of wheat she created but I can't ... for the life of me, I don't know what she did to create something that horrible ... slimmy lumps of globs of wheat, swimming in CANNED MILK! I feel pukey just thinking about it!

Mom would decide to master some particular food and she'd cook it over and over and over ... cream of wheat, for example ... she cooked cream of wheat every morning for MONTHS ... maybe YEARS! but she never "got" cream of wheat! thank GOD she finally gave up on cream of wheat! she was much better at oatmeal!

we once had brocalli every night for over several months before she decided she'd "gotten" it and finally switched us over to brussels sprouts ... she tried so hard! she made EVERYTHING "by hand" and shunned boxes of cake mix and the like!

in her defense ... she MASTERED pancakes and corn fritters!!! she made great pancakes and corn fritters! AND she could make great pancakes and corn fritters ... on a wood burning stove or over an open camp fire! once she "got it," she HAD IT! she didn't have all the fancy equipment I've got ... wish she'd lived to see the goodies we use now to cook with ... she really would have been amazed ...
 JasonTKD22
Msg: 58
Posted: 9/29/2009 7:46:15 PM
Red beans and rice -- the kind the schools served were cr**.

Boiled shrimp, boiled crab, seafood gumbo....I LOVE that stuff!

My FAVORITE however, is : boiled CRAWFISH , and other things that are mixed in the pot with it ...such as corn on the cob, "new potatoes" , and smoked sausage . I ate the hell out of that stuff !

In fact, I love boiled seafood so much, that when I got my tonsils taken out at 7 years old, I wasn't one of those kids who asked for ice-cream-- I wanted crawfish!
 Iascaireachta_arís
Msg: 59
Posted: 9/25/2011 9:38:33 PM
This is a fun thread and I think it deserves to be brought back after a couple years...
[quotes]what good or bad food do you remember from childhood?
...G R I T S ! ...

Depending on what part of the country you or parents were from, can be good or bad. Thoughts?
 MsMicki
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2011 1:18:57 PM
worst.......Grandma's boiled gizzards........no words can describe them!

best......My mother's homemade Saurkraut Peirogies.......the best I've ever ate.
 texasbaby
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2011 4:25:21 PM
Lol, I have to agree about the boiled gizzards. My Mom always boiled the gizzard, liver and heart from the turkey at holidays, then chopped them up to go in the gravy. My kids hated it, they called it gut gravy!

tb
 dsljim
Msg: 62
Posted: 9/26/2011 7:02:19 PM
Two hamburger patties with a thick slice of tomato and onion from the garden of course, then tamp the edges together with a fork so the juices stay in, cooked over an old copper boiler with holes poked in the side to give the charcoal some air.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 63
Posted: 9/27/2011 2:25:46 AM
Smiling Salmon's cabbage rolls recipe brought back the memory of the only dish my mother could cook well.
She'd make them in the scary pressure cooker (I still find them slightly terrifying - all that steam pumping loudly in the air, and the rattling) and they were delicious - light, moist, perfectly cooked in their bed of Heinz Tomato Soup.
The rest of her repertoire was abysmal. Tough, overcooked steak with overcooked vegetables and lumpy mash; overcooked roasts; bland, tasteless meals. I still remember the horror of eating a kidney from her steak and kidney pie. The tough, chewy steak was bad enough but sometimes you couldn't tell a kidney from a piece of steak and in it went. Yuck...disgusting taste and after-taste..
So my brother and I would discreetly spit the kidneys out and either feed them to the dog under the table when Mum wasn't looking or throw them out of the window later!
Her poppyseed cake was nice, though.
 Iascaireachta_arís
Msg: 64
Posted: 9/28/2011 11:12:05 PM
^^^people around here think I'm weird but I love Okra!!! Same with Grits...lots of butter and pepper. I was born in CA and grew up in the NW but I think I'm a southern girl at heart!
 kcladyz
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/9/2011 8:46:58 AM
When i was a kid my mother made me sugar bread. It basically was buttered bread with sugar sprinkled on top. Also since I am German we would go to a German deli after church and buy a German bread loaf . I do not remember the bread name but it would have a thick crust and make Limburger cheese sandwiches. if you can get past the bad smell its a fantastic tasting cheese.
 RhondaTaylor
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2011 9:20:20 AM
My Mom used to overcook liver until it resembled old shoes. Yuck
I love liver now that I know not to overcook it, especially smothered with onions and crispy bacon.
 Iascaireachta_arís
Msg: 67
Posted: 10/12/2011 9:38:19 PM
^^^Oh my goodness...I might just try liver again if bacon is part of the recipe! That actually sounds good.

Another favorite: Black eyed peas and fried cornbread with tomato slices. Yep...still southern at heart.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > what good or bad food do you remember from childhood?