Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What do you miss most about being a kid?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 toonsmith
Msg: 101
view profile
History
What do you miss most about being a kid?Page 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I really don't miss anything about being a kid. Terrible parents and living in fear of bigger kids.

I would not want to go through all that again.

But I enjoy feeling young while hanging out with my daughter. She keeps me young at heart.

Toon
 queenrhiannon
Msg: 102
view profile
History
What do you miss most about being a kid?
Posted: 1/13/2006 1:51:57 AM
I am sorry for anyone who had a childhood with unhappy memories - there are way too many out there. I feel so damn lucky that I had growing up - and still have amazing parents, who were committed to us - and to eachother still after 51 years of marriage.
I think thats why my standards are a little high for a mate - someone who has to have the heart, convictions and strength of my father. My father was beaten by his dad, but he turned that around and used it as an example of how not to be a father. Sounds like you might be doing the same with your daughter, making sure she has a better childhood than you had - and kudos to you.

One thing I don't miss - is we moved from the city to a small town Onoway - and it was unpleasent. Hated the school, disliked most of the people - friends who I thought were my friends, always stabbing me in the back, I was bullied a bit by some native girls (still don't know why). Guess one of the reasons was I was the 'artistic' type, and always wanted something more - than just sitting in a pick up truck drinking beer. But after I graduated - came to the city - and met people that I am still friends with.
But I think everyone is bullied one way or another when they are kids. But as I told my niece who is going through it now - the best thing to do is get good grades, graduate, and make better life long friends. Then when she is pulling up to the MacDonalds window 10 years later in her brand new mustang - she can laugh as her main bully asks her 'do you want fries with that'

Oh - also miss the real dukes of hazzard, the real Battlestar Galactica, the real Hulk - and thinking these were the coolest shows.
 toonsmith
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2006 2:52:06 AM
I think for people who had bad experiences as children, do appreciate the little things in life that can provide so much enjoyment.

I feel like Clark Griswold from Christmas Vacation, when I go all out on decorations and presents. I love it when my daughter rolls her eyes and says "Daaaaaad!" when we go sledding. Anything I missed out on as a kid, I made damn sure to enjoy in the present.

As a kid, we only had three networks and I watched almost everything. Swat, Chips, Happy Days, Johnny Carson, Kojak, Starsky and Hutch. There are days I feel like that character in the Jim Carrey movie The Cable Guy!

The only thing I do miss.....is the ability to eat an entire pepperoni pizza and still be hungry an hour later...not to mention not gaining an ounce!

Nowadays, if I even LOOK at a pepperoni, I gain 5 pounds.

Toon
 marita_b
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2006 5:40:08 AM
actually for those of us devoid of any good moments to think back on we know what making those times means to our kids,..and turns out,...you will one day find out exactly how right you were and how many small things meant a lot to your children,....

my kids and I were remenicing this christmas about their early years and it sure is nice to know that some of the things you thought they would never remember,..they did and even appreciated,...that,..BTW was my best gift this year from them too,...
 shineiton
Msg: 105
Posted: 1/13/2006 5:42:13 AM
I miss -
the family dinners when all 8 of us were together
riding on the back of the snowmobile with my dad and singing so loud he could hear me
"truckin" with my dad
playing forever with all the free time in the world
the cottage - without a t.v or phone (until my grandpa got sick) and having to do crafts actually play outside
exploring in the woods with mom an dad
snow days (off of school)
my grandpa and his BIG hands
playing girls chase the boys
beating up my brothers - lol
my imagination
the first kiss

OMG - I forgot all about mojo's until it was mentioned earlier ... and I do agree - the candy does not taste near as good today as it did back then.

King - i still play in the rain too - i love it

I don't miss -
homework
rules
having to clean the house after my brothers
puberty
the mean kids - i never got too much hassle - but man - girls change their minds on friends more than some of them change their underwear.

Haunting
Msg: 106
Posted: 1/13/2006 5:56:48 AM
I miss bedtime stories. I use to love being lulled to sleep as a story unfolded into my dreams. Reading before bed just isn't the same.
 ~~Cheeky Chick~~
Msg: 107
Posted: 1/14/2006 6:46:05 PM
I miss the simplicity of my life, being on the farm, and the quality time I had with my family.

Now, I'm here in Edmonton, in a busy hustle of a city and have no family within shouting distance. Life is so much more complicated, having lived so much in the past 10 years, with children and divorce...I would love to be back in the innocence of my youth.

But at the same time, I wouldn't give up what I've learned and accomplished...my children are all worth it :)

o0oChristinao0o
Msg: 108
Posted: 1/14/2006 6:57:30 PM
-This biggest worry being what ur parents are making for dinner that night
-Having crushes that make your heart race
-being innocent and naive
-how everything seemed so much more exciting and new
 ashley1861
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2006 7:26:46 PM
climbing trees
skinned knees
those darn bees
making memories
 Thorb
Msg: 110
Posted: 1/14/2006 10:12:28 PM
i miss not thinking about so much stuff like sex and taxes and the news.
oh and my teeth and hair too.
 twoshot
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2006 10:24:38 PM
I could eat what ever I wanted and never gain an ounce.
 spiceygamble
Msg: 112
Posted: 1/15/2006 1:05:59 AM
I miss the flights of fancy feeling I had concerning time limits & schedules.
*sigh...
 livewirehere
Msg: 113
Posted: 1/15/2006 8:20:22 PM
I know what you're saying toonsmith~~ My ex had a really crappy childhood, but as an adult he knew how to have fun.. I'll never forget the time we dropped my daughter off for some school dance or something ((she was in 8th Grade I think>?))... Our car was in the shop and we were borrowing my father-in-laws junker.... I don't even know if there was a muffler on it or not>?

We dropped her off and all of her friends were standing outside ((of course))... When we left my ex gunned the engine and it sounded like the car was gonna blow up. I never laughed so hard in my life... Of course, I saw the "look of death" coming from my daughter's eyes, but it was definately worth it. That's what parents are for---to embarrass us, right>?
 spiceygamble
Msg: 114
Posted: 1/16/2006 4:03:15 PM
I miss how my grandparents seemed to bounce around.
Grampa was always making something intresting in the workshop...
Gramma made the house warm & cozy.
Their yard was my Disneyworld & the smell of the pantry fueled my dreams.

:)
 Thorb
Msg: 115
Posted: 1/16/2006 4:33:37 PM

we were borrowing my father-in-laws junker.... ... When we left my ex gunned the engine and it sounded like the car was gonna blow up

Hey.... that's almost the exact same scene that John Candy did in.... Uncle Buck.....
what a hilarious movie....

I miss the amazment I felt when I went to see a good movie.
 toonsmith
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2006 5:32:00 PM
I miss the amazement I felt when I went to see a good movie.

Now that I can relate to.

Seeing Star Wars for the first time just blew my little mind. As kids, we knew seeing anything in the theatres was much better than watching TV. (Pre-video)

I can remember getting so excited when watching really bad science fiction films like Damnation Alley with George Peppard (Cool truck though) and those stop-motion Sinbad movies.

As a kid, getting into an R rated movie was a big deal! I was so much the regular that eventually, I was able to see any Charles Bronson that came out.

The only sort of bonding I ever had with my dad, was when he took me to see The Godfather movies. He laughed his head off during the horse head scene. Scary man.

Toon
 JerryC79
Msg: 117
Posted: 1/16/2006 7:13:24 PM
I miss Saturday morning cartoons
 ~~Cheeky Chick~~
Msg: 118
Posted: 1/27/2006 9:20:06 PM
seeing my brother's face after I nicked him with a pellet....but I wouldn't miss falling outta that tree again....

Yup....I was such a GOOD farm girl

Gotapulse
Msg: 119
Posted: 1/27/2006 10:10:26 PM
What do I miss most about being a kid ? Well, for one thing, nobody is really happy and clapping when I $hit my pants nowadays. It's a double standard.
 SRV4ever
Msg: 120
Posted: 1/28/2006 8:03:21 AM
wow Queen ..those tv shows were on when I waas in my 20's ! lol
I miss spending the day carefree, bike riding, playing hoscotch, going swimming every day..
picking blackberries, climbing trees.,watching American Bandstand...just being free with no responsibilities.
I'd only like this for a few days ...then it's back to the grind .
 FluxCapacitor
Msg: 121
Posted: 1/28/2006 12:29:45 PM
Hmm I am still a kid at heart..especially in a candy store. Here in Toronto we have a store called Sugar Mountain...oh my I just love it in there....on thier bags it shows a face with a big smile and says "recommended by 4 out of 5 dentists"LOL
 ~ Gentle ~ Breeze
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2006 7:06:17 PM
~ mmmmm ~ although coming from a very hard upbringing ~ I thought everyone was the same ~ just being a kid and laughing with your friends ~ I was always joking around ~ everyone thought I was an angel ~ little did they know
 spiceygamble
Msg: 123
Posted: 2/7/2006 6:54:23 PM
...oooh & the cola gummies wouldn't give me gut rot if i managed to eat the whole half pound bag in one sitting.
*sigh...
 whoville
Msg: 124
Posted: 2/7/2006 6:56:00 PM
Running through the sprinkler in the backyard.

I miss it
 Football Mom
Msg: 125
Posted: 2/7/2006 7:02:55 PM
Being able to go to the candy store with a quarter and buying a lot of candy -
Running around outside barefoot, splashing in puddles
Spending my summers at the lake
Fighting with my brothers (no, not really)
Sleeping in . . .
Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy
Halloween
Not having to worry about bills
Visits to grandma's
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What do you miss most about being a kid?