Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Cat*Eyes
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Curious to know about astrologyPage 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I am an Astrologer. There is so much more then just your Sun sign. All the planets are involved, their aspects, transits and how that relates to other people for compatibily. Go to astro.com and learn more. I have found that astrology is real and I completely believe in it.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Curious to know about astrology
Posted: 11/24/2016 12:18:17 AM
cateyes,

I have been an astrologer for many years and I am not stupid. I would not be bothered with some hocus pocus that doesnt work. I get irritated when those who have never read a text book on the subject, only read sun sign columns and know nothing about it in fact, yet they say it is hocus pocus and superstition. It is vastly complex and only those with any real IQ can handle it. I say prove it doesnt work. I know it does.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2016 3:08:47 AM
I guarantee that if you had two people born at the exact same time in adjacent delivery rooms, the chances of them having the same character traits and the same futures would be so minimal that it wouldn't be worth discussing. Character is about physiology, attachment figures and consequences of life events. We are unique individuals, not plots on a star chart.
 Maleman999
Msg: 93
Posted: 11/24/2016 4:11:02 AM

I say prove it doesnt work. I know it does.

I can just as easily say prove that it works. Saying "prove it doesn't work" is like a snake oil salesman saying his secret potion will cure cancer and all other diseases, and when someone questions his claims, him saying "prove it doesn't work."
 Coma_White
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2016 10:12:19 AM
One thing that guys overlook is chick crack. Things like astrology and palm reading are good to know even if you don't find them interesting because most women like that kind of stuff. You don't have to believe in it, but it doesn't hurt to know the basics. Just another tool in the toolbox.
 xlr8ingme
Msg: 95
Posted: 11/24/2016 2:45:05 PM
^ Bingo. Its amazing the things the men in my family have learned about women (out of 22 grandkids 7 are male). Those that date do so successfully because they have learned how to listen to women. They understand what makes us mad, and how to make us laugh. Its an acquired skill using any means of deception to get laid. Players are players, and the stars wont change that fact.
 Coma_White
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2016 12:41:32 AM

Bingo. Its amazing the things the men in my family have learned about women (out of 22 grandkids 7 are male). Those that date do so successfully because they have learned how to listen to women. They understand what makes us mad, and how to make us laugh. Its an acquired skill using any means of deception to get laid. Players are players, and the stars wont change that fact.

You don't even have to deceive people to be successful. You can tell a woman that you don't believe in astrology but still talk about it or joke about it. I would argue that the most successful people at dating never deceive anyone.
 Maleman999
Msg: 97
Posted: 11/25/2016 6:30:44 AM
^^^"You don't even have to deceive people to be successful. You can tell a woman that you don't believe in astrology but still talk about it or joke about it."

That depends on how deeply a person believes in it. To some people, it's no joking manner. Would the same apply to someone who is a religious person and an atheist? Some religious people can get along with a non-believer, and others wouldn't, depending on how strong their belief is. I'm not a believer in astrology, so I wouldn't want to date someone who says I must give them specific details about my birth and do a chart on me to see if we're compatible.
 Walts
Msg: 98
Posted: 11/25/2016 6:59:32 AM

You don't even have to deceive people to be successful.

No you don't.
But, it sure seems like it's the new and improved way of getting what you want. I can think of one big example that we have witnessed in the last month that confirms such.

If you stand aside, shake your head in agreement with another(no matter what you really know), it may surprise you what comes your way. Disagree, with a thoughtful discussion which includes your reasons why you disagree and watch the brick wall get built before your eyes. Every word of your disagreement is a brick in itself.
 Coma_White
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2016 2:35:42 PM

That depends on how deeply a person believes in it. To some people, it's no joking manner. Would the same apply to someone who is a religious person and an atheist? Some religious people can get along with a non-believer, and others wouldn't, depending on how strong their belief is. I'm not a believer in astrology, so I wouldn't want to date someone who says I must give them specific details about my birth and do a chart on me to see if we're compatible.

People usually make decisions based on how they feel more than what's logical. It's normal for women who believe in astrology to feel attraction for men who don't believe and it's normal for religious women to feel attraction for men who aren't religious. The same principle applies when people are buying or bidding on things they want. The heart beats the mind and the person purchases the item that they want but don't need. You can make a conscious decision not to form a relationship with a woman that's into astrology but you can still feel attraction for her. I would recommend knowing about astrology or "chick crack" when it comes to making small talk so you don't have to talk about the ceiling fan.
 ANewBeginningStartsHere
Msg: 100
Posted: 12/29/2016 10:04:12 AM
Man looked to the skies in search of meaning and guidance. They saw stars in patterns, much like how images appear in clouds. If you stare long enough, your mind will see something. Astrology, now considered a pseudoscience, was the earliest form of a type religion. Astrology led to the creation of many religions, as stories written (which were completely fictional by the way) were based upon elements of astrology.

Watch the documentary "Zeitgeist" and the first part of it is the important stuff.

Man's need for meaning - needs answers
------------------------------
Man looks up to the stars - makes up answers - astrology
Man invents organized religion from astrology to set "laws" of right vs wrong
Man invents government - using religion as the backbone, to enforce right vs wrong, and to control the masses
 Maleman999
Msg: 101
Posted: 12/29/2016 10:14:39 AM
If I met someone who was into astrology who wanted some personal information to do a chart-or whatever they do with the information-and I provided totally false information regarding when and where I was born and anything else that is required, I wonder how my chart would turn out versus giving the correct information. Would an astrologer be able to tell if someone is giving correct and accurate information, or do they just assume the information given is true and accurate?
 diaboloacetin
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2016 9:53:22 PM
For those of you who completely dismiss astrology:
http://www.iflscience.com/brain/does-season-birth-affect-personality/

Now I'm not a hardcore astrologer by any means, but I do believe that like everything else, there is a core of truth.

What we consider to be mere mumbo jumbo today may one day be explained scientifically. Think of the implications of advance in quantum entanglement for example. Science hasn't uncovered all secrets just yet. Not saying that EVERYTHING people believe in is true, but don't just dismiss something out of hand by saying that if science can't explain it today then it must not be true.

Keep an open mind something in woefully short supply nowadays.

And I am a gemini. Which is why I stick mostly to the humor section. ;)
 Maleman999
Msg: 103
Posted: 12/30/2016 4:59:48 AM
The way I view astrology is that it's no different than a belief in religion. In either case, it's something that can't be proven or disproved, but a lot of people have a belief in it, regardless of lack of physical evidence.
 diaboloacetin
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2016 7:56:15 AM
Maleman, are you sure that religion can't be eventually proven or disproven? I am not a religious man either but I won't say that eventually some or all parts of religion can be explained scientifically. We just don't have the proper tools. To me, every belief system is just a theory... some have some supporting facts, but nothing proven. Take the power of prayer in aiding healing for example.

Also keep in mind that there are currently no proven scientific explanations of the origin of the universe. All are theories, some with partial proof, but nothing definitive. That's why they're theories.

Also, some more food for thought. None of us experience reality directly. we experience everything through our limited senses, which can be fooled, and processed by our brains which are prone to misfirings and influenced by the chemical soup they life in. We build filters to help make sense of all we experience, but those filters are never perfect and they themselves can distort our thinking in ways we don't even realize.

Just saying.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2016 9:44:05 AM
Only 20% of our individual reality is sourced through our external senses. The rest is formed by neural relationships within our brains which help categorise and assimilate what's going on for us internally while these stimuli are coming in. These relationships are formed by physiology, attachment figures and external circumstances at a very early stage. Two babies born at the same time in adjacent maternity wards will NOT grow up with identical personalities. There's far more at stake.

If you read full astrological birth profiles in depth, you'll see that they're still woolly enough that an individual will take what they want from it and base their judgement on the 80% of relative reality they've already created for themselves.
 Coma_White
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2016 11:01:35 AM

Also keep in mind that there are currently no proven scientific explanations of the origin of the universe. All are theories, some with partial proof, but nothing definitive. That's why they're theories.

There's a difference between a scientific theory and religious mythology. Scientific theories are built upon facts and evidence like the theory of gravity or theory of evolution. The problem you get into with comparing religion to science is that anyone can just make up things as they go along. I could say you can't prove or disprove I'm not sitting on a unicorn right now. Sure, it can't be proven or disproven but it's very unlikely.

As far as astrology goes, it's just for entertainment. James Randi has done experiments where he gives everyone the exact same horoscope and they all think it fits them because we use confirmation bias to make things fit when we believe in them.
 diaboloacetin
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2016 11:02:27 AM
But my point is that there is obviously some statistical correlation. So, not identical but statistically sharing commonalities.

Like I said, I don't expect all or even a significant part of astrology to be relevant, but some of it may be.
 Coma_White
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2016 11:11:08 AM

But my point is that there is obviously some statistical correlation. So, not identical but statistically sharing commonalities.

Like I said, I don't expect all or even a significant part of astrology to be relevant, but some of it may be.

There has never been any evidence that showed that any of the astrological signs share characteristics. I was born a week before my friend. We're the same age, same body type, same astrological sign and we're completely different. You could also find similarities if you compared people born on the south side of their city and people born on the north side of their city if you look hard enough. But what happens is that you don't find similarities beyond baseline for random sampling. That's why you can just change the sign on a horoscope and people will be like: "Yeah, that's so me."
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2016 11:36:18 AM

I don't expect all or even a significant part of astrology to be relevant, but some of it may be.

And that's all professional astrologers need people to think to make money out of them.
 starstarstarstars
Msg: 110
Posted: 12/30/2016 12:46:34 PM
Astrologers make money? Really?

Okay, Someone chart my stars, please?
 Coma_White
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2016 1:14:29 PM

Astrologers make money? Really?

Okay, Someone chart my stars, please?

Sure. I would say that you are mostly shy and quiet, but when the mood strikes you, you can easily become the center of attention. You tend to be too critical of yourself. You have a generous and giving nature, even though there have been times when you’ve acted in a rather selfish way. You have considerable unused capacities that you have not yet turned to your advantage. Also, you will have a dream about a pink bird tonight.
 diaboloacetin
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2016 4:54:38 PM
Coma White you either didn't read the article or choose to ignore it

No point in discussing with you further obviously. You are now in the same camp as religious fanatics who refuse to face certain facts. Congrats dude.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 113
Posted: 12/30/2016 5:06:30 PM

Capricorn men can have their Venus in Aquarius

If Venus is in Aquarius, where is Uranus?
 Maleman999
Msg: 114
Posted: 12/31/2016 9:54:56 AM
If someone was to say to me that they are into astrology and can do charts on people based on the person's exact time and location at birth, the first thing I would want to know is their credentials in astronomy. It would take a lot of scientific data to know the exact location of a specific planet or star in relation to specific spot on Earth at an exact time and date in the past. Plus. we're talking about objects that are in constant motion-both in revolving around the sun and spinning on its own axis, which would have to be taken into account when talking about the distance and location between two planets, and possibly stars in the galaxy that are in movement, at a precise moment.

Talking about relating distance and location, where exactly on the other planet or star is the measurement point taken? If the precise location of a person's birth is required to do a "proper" reading and chart, that must mean it's related to a precise location on the other celestial body. Otherwise, what's the point of needing to know a person's exact origin of birth if it's related to nowhere in particular on the other planet or star-especially if it's a lot larger than planet Earth? But I guess it's like religion, where you just take the person's word that what they're telling you is true without questioning it.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >