Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Wild Heart
Msg: 143
Genital Warts? Would you date someone with them?Page 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Paps, swabs....when I go in for this type of testing, I bring a list with me and ensure the doctor tests for everything.
 morethanwordsunknown
Msg: 155
Genital Warts? Would you date someone with them?
Posted: 7/2/2006 11:49:36 AM
Some say there is no cure for cancer, and you people are on here freaking out about genital warts turning it into some horror forum...

This one man had cancer the doctors told him he was going to die in 6 months. That would be it, no more treatments there was nothing they could do for him. So he decides to spend the rest of his days enjoying life, walking down by the ocean everyday. 6 months goes by, 8months goes by, a year goes by, and he still is feeling fine, better everyday. He goes back to the doctor and they do more tests, finally telling him that his cancer is completely gone.. a miracle some may say...
and this man is still living to this day.. true story

You say there might not be a cure, but they can go away on their own. Anyone on here is aware about stds, if you do a simple search you will have more information on diseases you could probabaly ever read in a years worth of time.
LOL I cant believe how much information you all offered on STD's, I feel like im back in elementary school again being all scared about catching something.
If you are stressed, sick, unhealthy, and worry alot about something you are probably more likely to catch something, like with types of colds that are virusus, after you get them, there isnt a cough drop you can take for it, but once its gone you have healed and do not catch it again. Its called immune systems,, some of us have them, some of you are sick all the time, my advice to you... stay inside and let the rest of us live our lives..

I guess being sick with colds and flus when your a child eventually pays off when your older, except maybe if you venture off into forigen countries.

good luck to you all and dont let some doctor decide if your going to live or not
 Sympa
Msg: 163
Posted: 7/3/2006 9:08:26 AM
omg...why the hell would you wanna go back to him specially knowing all that you know....I'm gonna tell ya this again.....you are way too good for him...find someone who will love you as much as love them....someone who will respect you and see you for the amazing beaultiful girl that you are.....and someone who will accept your cute lil boy and love him and treat him as though he were his own....
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 176
Posted: 1/3/2007 11:30:56 PM
Nope. Nope, I would not. Not an option.

Sorry OP ~ it said my first response was too short.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 180
Posted: 1/4/2007 8:25:53 AM
HVP is preventable, and treatments are readily available if someone notices a problem which leads them to testing and an accurate test result.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htmand

... Approximately 20 million people are currently infected with HPV. At least 50 percent of sexually active men and women acquire genital HPV infection at some point in their lives. By age 50, at least 80 percent of women will have acquired genital HPV infection. About 6.2 million Americans get a new genital HPV infection each year.

...There is no "cure" for HPV infection, although in most women the infection goes away on its own. The treatments provided are directed to the changes in the skin or mucous membrane caused by HPV infection, such as warts and pre-cancerous changes in the cervix.

Cancer link ???

All types of HPV can cause mild Pap test abnormalities which do not have serious consequences. Approximately 10 of the 30 identified genital HPV types can lead, in rare cases, to development of cervical cancer. Research has shown that for most women (90 percent), cervical HPV infection becomes undetectable within two years. Although only a small proportion of women have persistent infection, persistent infection with "high-risk" types of HPV is the main risk factor for cervical cancer.

^^That means that out of 100 + strains of the virus, there are 30 that may in rare cases lead to a small portion of those women with that particular untreated strain might be at risk for cancer.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV-vaccine.htm

And there is a vaccine is available. Get vaccinated and get informed ~ accurant knowledge and information is far more productive than worrying about something that is preventable and treatable. JMO
 cotter
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2007 9:19:31 AM
No, I would not knowingly date someone with any type of STD.

I've been around going on 58 years ... and haven't had one yet ...

... and I certainly do not want to start now!!!!!!!!!!!

And as VGE said in msg 184 ...
........ there is a vaccine availabbe ... get vaccinated and get informed ...
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 184
Posted: 1/4/2007 10:12:19 AM
^^^^^^^^I don't believe anyone said it cures anything. BUT, ignorance doesn't cure it or treat it.

No, by age 50, approximately 50% of people will be carriers of the virus ~ some of those will be symptom-free, some won't be.

Get vaccinated. And read read read (accurate information) not the trash that is put out by pharmaceutical companies or those wanting nothing more than to scare the general public into believing this is a crisis that is new and threatening. It's OLD news and most info out there is not accurate. It's about self-awareness.
 drillbit
Msg: 189
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2007 8:14:27 PM
Viral STDs, especially genital warts can be a scary (and ugly) thing. Your defense is education and understanding. It concerns me that some of the posters here see only the disease, not the person. Those with HIV are all too familiar with that type of stigma. It is an unfair stereotype, especially since most everyone here has probably already contracted a form of these viruses (or their less harmful offshoots) already in their lives but don't know it. Here are the facts, as they were being taught to health professionals in 2006. Bear in mind that statistics are related to the publication in which they are found. One source saying 20% while another says 30% does not make either wrong. Look at the trend, not the number.

There are 7 types of Hepatitis, A-F. A and E are transmitted fecal-orally (gotta love that sewage contaminated shellfish. It also makes a good case for washing your hands after using the washroom, especially before dinner). F 'n G don't do anything harmful (that we know about anyway) and B, C, and D are the sexually transmitted ones that have already been discussed elsewhere.

Herpes has at least 5 varieties. CMV, Epstein-Barr ( or Mono), and Varicella zoster (aka shingles, chicken pox) are the familiar non-STDs. World-wide, 50-90% of the population, has the Herpes Simplex Virus 1 (HSV1) antibody in their system, usually by age 5. These are usually seen as the common cold sore around the mouth and can be transmitted in the saliva whenever the virus is active within the body (stop kissing the baby). Antibodies for HSV2, usually thought of as genital herpes, are found in 20-30% of sexually active North Americans, but here's something interesting. A local STD clinic did an informal survey of the genital herpes samples they were testing and found 75% were in reality, HSV1. Does this mean you'll be asking your partner to take some kind of "spit test" before allowing them to perform oral sex on you next time?

HPV: 120 strains, 30 like the genital area, maybe a third or so are related to cervical cancer but 4 of them make up the vast majority of the cancerous infections (and I think 2 of the 4 are covered in the new vaccine). ALL warts are some strain of HPV, but not all HPV strains cause warts. Sixty to seventy-five percent of sexually active people have contracted the virus. It has a high regression rate, so it will disappear in half to two-thirds of the cases. Depending on the strain, it can take 3 weeks to 8 months before you show symptoms (try tracking down who gave what to whom when now, playa) and, since they have a protein shell, can survive outside the host for a limited time. Relapse is frequent and may require retreatment. Genital warts can be removed by freezing, burning, cutting, or laser (Oh joy, the turtle is now retreating into his shell and he ain't coming out, no how.)

Yeah, the above information can freak you out but consider this; should you choose to engage in a sexually intimate relationship with someone, know that these are manageable risks -- NOT A DEATH SENTENCE. Safe sex practices can work, IF THEY COVER THE INFECTED AREA. Since skin on skin contact is the transmission media for HPV, I recommend wrapping your entire body in Saranwrap (kidding, kidding). That said, no one should knowingly be engaging in any sexual activity with an active infection, even with a condom or dantal dam. Respect your partner.

The OP asked if you would date an individual with genital warts. As Jordannne so wisely wrote in another thread, STDs should be a choice, not a surprise. Your choice is your perogative. Make that choice based on good information, your emotional commitment, and the good sense God (hopefully) gave you. Remember, we are dealing with fellow human beings - our loves, our friends, our family members. It speaks less of us as a Society if we allow a disease (or religion or skin colour or ...) to define who an individual truly is. And if we allow that thinking to go unchallenged in others, we are all made weaker for it.
 drillbit
Msg: 190
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2007 8:16:25 PM
And no, I've never had genital warts. Just an open mind.
 mystlw
Msg: 215
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2007 1:30:36 PM
ok so basically (and i consider 80% to be just about everyone) everyone has it, yet ALMOST no one will sleep with someone that has it.

Perhaps they're making a distinction between genital warts, which is the topic (or at least, the title) of this thread, and HPV. Most people living with HPV have no idea that they've been exposed to it, because they have no symptoms. Not everyone that has HPV will have genital warts.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 234
Posted: 10/24/2007 8:13:35 AM

By age 50, at least 80 percent of women will have acquired genital HPV infection.

I've read that statistic, too. So basically, if you're an active dating man 50 and older, and don't already have HPV, your chances of getting it is pretty much sealed, with or without a condom. Because we all know the only way NOT to get "any" STD is to refrain from sex, period.

From what I understand the virus is epidemic, but not a chronic, life-threatening condition like AIDS. I know, without treatment it can lead to cervical cancer in women. But since it can be a "silent" condition, the only way to really protect oneself is by total abstinence. I guess I'm not prepared to live like a monk, and I'm sure many others don't, either...lol.

Of course with anything regarding sex, you have to take precautions and get tested regularly.
 singtexascowgirl
Msg: 238
Posted: 12/22/2008 7:57:35 AM
It is obvious from reading many of the responses that people are really not aware of the truth about HPV. It is a disease that is spreading like wildfire, especially among teenagers. Young girls between the ages of 15-23 are especially vulnerable and yes, the young men who are getting them into bed are the infectors. If a young man has had multiple partners and not practiced safe sex, chances are he has it and is spreading it without knowing it and to every young woman he beds. A young girl close to me recently was infected and only had two boyfriends, both long term relationships. She was devasted and didn't even know she had it until it was already at the precancerous stage and had to have surgery. Sometimes women can have it and not know it, but most of the time, it's the women who get the warts. While men can too, it's not as common for them to get the physical manifestation, so basically, they are breeders and testing a man for HPV is very difficult. The bottom line is, all these infected young people grow up and are sexually active adults. Because of the embarassment and shame associated with it, they aren't gonna tell you if they have it and often times in the heat of the moment you probably won't see it on their penis or vagina anyway even if they do have the physical manifestations.

My whole point of commenting is this...come off your high horse and rude and unkind comments...no one ever asks to or wants to get an STD...the hurt and embarassment and shame is often bad enough. Often times, someone the person loved and cared about gave it to them, even a spouse.

If you are one of the people out there having sex through the years with multiple partners and not practicing safe sex (which is still no guarantee), just count yourself as very fortunate. But chances are, you may think you don't have an STD, especially if you're a guy, but often times you do have the virus...it just hasn't manifested itself in your body....YET...
 jaimze
Msg: 242
Posted: 3/12/2009 9:53:51 PM
Have`nt you heard the buzz. Everyone wants them...
 first_togirl
Msg: 266
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2011 10:12:32 AM
It is a shame forum use is not encouraged anymore, as this is a great place to share ideas. As of this past summer I have become a member of the I have Genital Warts club. My partner did not have signs and I probably would not have known what they were even if he did. Lucky for me this is the lest harmful of the STDs. It wont kill you only your sex life. lol
If you too have this or one day find yourself with it I think there is hope. The Gardasil vaccine can be taken by anyone. So if you do find that special person they could get vaccinated and be protected against strain 6 and 11 which is probably what you have. There is a waiting period. The shots take 6 months to complete. You should be protected by the second shot 2 months in and the third is kind of a back up. If that person is really into you as much as you are into them then the wait is going to allow you both to deepen your relationship non-physically. Probably a good and healthy thing.
I really really think it would be a bad thing not to disclose that you have this, showing no signs does not mean you are not infectious. This is how I and many others got into this situation. Too many dishonest people out there.
 arwen52
Msg: 270
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2011 10:43:15 PM

You can get it from other ways people. And its unfair that people who have safe protected sex still can get it just by touching something.

Viruses don't care about "fair."

Anyone with genital warts should see a doctor and have it treated.
 Email Tom Now
Msg: 272
Posted: 1/8/2011 6:25:51 AM
simply have the warts removed by a qualified physician.

won't that solve the problem?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 first_togirl
Msg: 274
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2011 7:56:37 AM
Genital Warts will not spread or cause cervical cancer. Genital Warts are harmless. The HPV strain that causes cervical cancer and the other cancers do not leave warts on the vaginal walls of women or the outer part of a mans penis. You don't know you are a carrier unless you are a woman with abnormal cells that have been detected with a pap. The medical field don't care about this strain. It can't be detected or you can't be protected. Anyone who is sexually active has it. The vaccine will help the newest generations. Paps are our only defense for the rest of us. The doctors are not concerned about the spread. It is like the common cold.
It is the shameful harmless strains, the genital wart, that gets people in a stew. At any one time 1% of the population is showing signs of it. It is for life. Burning them off doesn't stop ability to infect others. Condoms are only 30% effective at best. You can catch it from kissing or fooling around.
Get the vaccine if you don't want to catch it. You can abstain from sex all your life and still get it. Chances are your first partner will give you the cervical cancer strain.
 countryboytrucker92
Msg: 281
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2019 8:14:39 PM
Um false information once again the types of hpv that cause cancer are not the types that cause warts read the whole thing first also yes they can be burned off but the virus itself can not be cured and the symptoms may not show up for up to two years after being infected and something like 72% of people have been exposed to the virus soo
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >