Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Syreen
Msg: 451
Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?Page 19 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding
According to the AAP, "Human milk is species-specific, and all substitute feeding preparations differ markedly from it, making human milk uniquely superior for infant feeding. Exclusive breastfeeding is the reference or normative model against which all alternative feeding methods must be measured with regard to growth, health, development, and all other short- and long-term outcomes. In addition, human milk-fed premature infants receive significant benefits with respect to host protection and improved developmental outcomes compared with formula-fed premature infants… Pediatricians and parents should be aware that exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life and provides continuing protection against diarrhea and respiratory tract infection. Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child."

A.A.P. Breastfeeding Policy Statement: Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk Pediatrics Vol. 115 No. 2 February 2005
Msg: 452
Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?
Posted: 2/13/2007 9:00:57 PM
You can't possibly be serious!!! If you are, you are sooooo behind the times...Any and every Pediatrician in the world will tell you straight up and without hesitation that breast milk is by far and away the most superior form of nutrition for our Little Ones...and as a good parent would you not want what was best for your Children...I mean, come on.....COME ON....lol. Nature is perfect and breast feeding is perfectly natural. If a person is hungry then they eat....babies are born with an innate ability to suckle---because they will suckle onto a breast to FEED!...when They are HUNGRY! It is not about society's right (dubious) to not be exposed to this; but rather about the Infants RIGHT to eat!
 limpagain
Msg: 453
Posted: 2/14/2007 1:24:20 PM
I hope I don't add to anything about this subject that may cause it to bore some of you... but, Eternal here is onto something very important... Now bare with me just a moment. Ill try and spell this out in a readers digest sort of way so as to not loose any of your interest in the subject.. Ok, all of the things which the AAP explains regarding the benefits of breastmilk is now being better understood through more research. There is a company who for the past 13 years has done specific research in this area and they have discovered that Human Breast Milk contains specific molecules of essential sugars that is only found in breast milk. There are 8 of these sugars, two of which we can find fairly abundantly in our food sources. They are Glucose and Galactose. But the other essential 6 sugars are not found in our food because of processing, early picking habits and our soils are depleated with vital nutrients. These sugars they found are essential to every cell in your body and their main function is with cell to cell communication. If the cells in our bodies cannot communicate one with another efficiently, then everything in our bodies are suseptable to disfunction. The best example of this is our Immune System which relys heavily on communication in order to detect foreign invaders and then produce immune cells that protect us from these foreign invaders like viruses, chemicals, and even our own cells which have gone crazy (ie.. cancer, and all of the autoimmune diseases we see today). Have you noticed that even with all of the billions of dollars spent on cancer research today, cancer is still on the rise. Thats because they're looking in the wrong places for the right answer. For those of you who have endured this reading I thank you......... Just email me if your curious about more info..
 whitestarmama
Msg: 454
Posted: 2/14/2007 4:14:27 PM

For those of you who have endured this reading I thank you......... Just email me if your curious about more info..

well i would have, except you're not accepting msgs from canadians ;) i'd love to know more, read the studies, etc.
 Smjle
Msg: 455
Posted: 2/15/2007 5:16:16 AM
i'd love to know more, read the studies, etc.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6356827.stm for an article on a sixty-year study that supports the existing body of knowledge that breastfeeding results in better outcomes for babies.
 ontario_woman
Msg: 456
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2007 5:20:53 AM
The only problem I have with women breastfeeding their child in public is that it brings back bitter-sweet memories of me breastfeeding my little girl. (sniff) They grow up so fast.
 Remabe6836
Msg: 457
Posted: 2/16/2007 4:10:46 PM
Wow I am flabberghasted that this is even a debate!

I do breastfeed in public, and while I do try to be as discreet as possible no I do not always put a blanket over me...my daughter hates having anything covering her face. I generally just pull up my shirt and she latches right away and then the top of my boob is covered by my shirt and the rest by her head. Sure you might be able to catch a quick glimpse of the girls but hey, if you do consider yourself lucky I have great boobs I am not doing it as a political statement, I am ((gasp)) feeding my child, and the law protects my right to do so wherever and whenever I need to. But hey, if it really offends you feel free to put a towel over your face
 justme1202
Msg: 458
Posted: 2/16/2007 4:22:59 PM
its noit about it being a debate its about WETHER YOU APPROVE OR NOT? You do or you dont. To each his own right?
 Remabe6836
Msg: 459
Posted: 2/16/2007 4:25:38 PM
Uh yeah I guess to each his own...I just don't get how you could NOT approve of something as natural as breastfeeding, in public or otherwise.
 rustmouse
Msg: 460
Posted: 2/16/2007 5:01:57 PM
I'm not quite sure why this is a debate, either. A bit of concern for different people's sensibilities is courtesy, and I'm pretty sure that in the middle of a business meeting isn't the right time to start feeding, but I don't see anything wrong or offensive about it at all...
 Syreen
Msg: 461
Posted: 2/16/2007 5:12:14 PM
?? I fed my child in the middle of a business meeting. nobody minded.
 PickyProfessional
Msg: 462
Posted: 2/16/2007 9:38:06 PM
to msg 1: whther breasts are utlitarian or sexual, it's just not in good taste in society as it currently is. come on, you know that. give it another 100 years...
 Syreen
Msg: 463
Posted: 2/17/2007 5:02:24 PM
it doesn't really matter whether you feel it's in good taste or not. what matters is what's best for babies. and that's breastfeeding. the more women feed their babies whereever they happen to be hungry the more it will seem a cultural norm.

The American Dietetic Association promotes breastfeeding

The ADA also believes that "the bonding that occurs during breastfeeding makes it a special choice." The ADA actively promotes breastfeeding, stating that "It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that broad-based efforts are needed to break the barriers to breastfeeding initiation and duration. Exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months and breastfeeding with complementary foods for at least 12 months is the ideal feeding pattern for infants. Increases in initiation and duration are needed to realize the health, nutritional, immunological, psychological, economical, and environmental benefits of breastfeeding."
 alexandria_gal
Msg: 464
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2007 7:47:29 PM
There are a lot of things that are good for babies.

For instance, they should be changed pretty much as soon as they poop. But I don't want you doing it right near where I'm eating.

There are a lot of functions that are natural. Urination, sex and the abovementioned defecation. Just because it's natural doesn't mean we all want to see it.

Syreen
Msg: 465
Posted: 2/18/2007 8:07:09 PM
i can't believe you're equating defecation with eating. what did YOU have for lunch today?
 alexandria_gal
Msg: 466
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2007 9:03:18 PM
^^^^ I had salmon with capers, onions, caviar and a glass of wine. I only eat in upscale restaurants where there should either be NO children, or children on their best behavior. The places I go are NOT kid friendly, have no height chairs, changing stations, etc.

I go out to relax. So I avoid places that are going to be populated by screaming kids. Hopefully that includes babies and breastfeeding mothers.

I agree that breastfeeding babies is healthier than bottle feeding them. Just do it where others don't have to watch. I don't find breastfeeding sexual. It's just unpleasant to watch, like watching someone change a diaper. Not my thing.

Now if I'm having lunch in ChuckECheese (fat chance), all bets are off. That's kid territory. If they want to scream, throw food, nurse from every lactating boob in the place . . . that's fine with me.

justme1202
Msg: 467
Posted: 2/19/2007 5:11:57 AM
Wow can u ever tell the woman who have children and the woman who do by what they say in this thread.

As for anyone on here saying the dont want to see it to bad for you cause if baby is hungry the boob is coming out so be a little bit more mature a boob is a boob like it or not. Its not there for you to look at.
 theys_hvit65
Msg: 468
Posted: 2/19/2007 10:50:40 AM
I highly approve of breastfeeding and breastfeeding discreetly in public. Just don't go topless!!I grew up with my mom breastfeeding other siblings and she covered herself.

I've worked with some women who where basically topless in public while breastfeeding....and at my desk when I was counseling them I've see it in waiting rooms with children and other families present. One ignores it.

But I have to say I've seen women breastfeed just for the sake of exposing their breasts, lol!! Baby clearly was not hungry, LOL!!

No, it is not comfortable for others seeing the best exposed publicly, just like seeing a naked man or woman just walking around publicly is not comfortable either. Breastfeeding or not, breasts are viewed as a sex ogran and women unfortunately as sex objects.

Perosnally, I see it this way: Would I normally go topless publicly? And the answer is NO. So if I am breastfeeding my baby, I won't be topless either. I would have no problem covering up because my breasts are private. You might see a flash of flesh momentarily but nothing to get excited over.
 alexandria_gal
Msg: 469
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2007 6:57:49 PM
As for anyone on here saying the dont want to see it to bad for you cause if baby is hungry the boob is coming out so be a little bit more mature a boob is a boob like it or not. Its not there for you to look at

And we're talking about ME being mature?

I may not have any children of my own, but I have a step-daughter, and all my friends have children (and now grandchildren). None of them, or their children would be caught dead breast feeding their kids in a public place. That's what lounges, breast pumps, and leaving the kid home with a baby sitter and pumped milk are for.

While I'm at it, when I'm out with my younger friends (I have a couple of girlfriends in their 30s) and their children they never make a peep to bother anyone else, because if they do they are whisked out within 2 nanoseconds. If I'm taking care of a child their tantrums, feeding, bowel movements or other problems never impact on other people enjoying a meal, a concert or anything else. If I've got to leave, then it's my responsibility to do so for having a child in tow.

The only exception is being on a plane. You can't exactly leave under those circumstances.

BTW, I have lived in Old Town Alexandria for 35 years and have never once seen a woman whip out a boob and feed her baby in a restaurant here, and I eat out almost all the time.

Syreen
Msg: 470
Posted: 2/19/2007 7:23:08 PM

That's kid territory. If they want to scream, throw food, nurse from every lactating boob in the place . . . that's fine with me.

well, after that ridiculous comment i can relax know i don't actually have to take you seriously.
 good_eat
Msg: 471
Posted: 2/19/2007 8:01:03 PM
Is changing diapers in public a sensible thing to do?
 maryrachelle
Msg: 472
Posted: 2/20/2007 1:04:34 AM
i have a sister who breastfed all her kids and they all have allergies and other kinds of illnesses and my brothers kids were lucky to have formula at all and never get sick . some kids are just healthier then others breastfed or bottle fed. i myself was breastfed and had terrible asthma as a child. as for breastfeeding in public well dont complain when a guy is staring at your boobs . sure babies like them but i think men like them just as much maybe more.
 counsellorTroi
Msg: 473
Posted: 2/20/2007 7:28:45 AM

I may not have any children of my own, but I have a step-daughter, and all my friends have children (and now grandchildren). None of them, or their children would be caught dead breast feeding their kids in a public place. That's what lounges, breast pumps, and leaving the kid home with a baby sitter and pumped milk are for.

While I'm at it, when I'm out with my younger friends (I have a couple of girlfriends in their 30s) and their children they never make a peep to bother anyone else, because if they do they are whisked out within 2 nanoseconds. If I'm taking care of a child their tantrums, feeding, bowel movements or other problems never impact on other people enjoying a meal, a concert or anything else. If I've got to leave, then it's my responsibility to do so for having a child in tow.

Times have changed from the "children should be seen and not heard" days to accepting them as part of our lives. Wherever you are going it sounds like a bunch of stuffy old people are hanging out - not family friendly at all. I not only wouldn't expect breastfeeding there, I wouldn't expect any kind of non-sequiteur berhaviour.

Anywhere anyone else can eat, a baby should be able to eat, too.

And as far as using a blanket, wearing layers with a vest over your breast-feeding top works well, too. Then you don't actually have to put anything over the baby's face.
 alexandria_gal
Msg: 474
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2007 7:54:33 AM
^^^^ Not family friendly, but not stuffy. People of all ages live in Old Town and the average age is probably the low 40s. Most of the 20 somethings and elderly don't have the money to pay the freight at the upscale places (although there are some very wealthy in those age categories too).

I dunno, maybe some of it is because folks here have more disposible income, they have more choices. So they don't have to schlep a baby everywhere and feed it when they're in an upscale establishment. I think they just decide to leave their little ones home with the baby sitter or their nanny at those times.

But even when they're bringing the kiddies along they don't act like little milking machines. I'm not making this up. Even in the less expensive places, I've never seen a mother whip a boob out, and I looked at a breastfeeding laws page. Apparently Virginia is one of the more breastfeeding friendly states -- so this behavior has nothing to do with the laws around here.

Yesterday the bf and I had a hankering for pizza, and so we went to a pretty downscale place called Faccia Luna. Lots of families, kids in height chairs. Not a place we go to a lot. It was pretty noisy, but no breast feeding going on. We also go to a diner for breakfast on a pretty regular basis -- also lots of babies there. Never seen it there either. There's also a place where you can get inexpensive meals, sort of cafeteria style (La Madeleine). I don't eat meals there, but I do get muffins there sometimes before pilates. Lots of moms and kiddies there, but no one breastfeeding.

justme1202
Msg: 475
Posted: 2/20/2007 10:35:26 AM
^^^^i just love the way your refer to babies in your messages. And i dont care if you live in the smallest town in the world your damn straight i would be breastfeeding my baby there. Your the only "upscale" person i know that as ever said what you have said.

There are not going to be people breastfeeding everywhere you look. I dont knwo about you but where ever you go in Ontario there are Signs every where That say "ANYWHERE, ANYTIME" so i go by what authorities say. So Whenever wherever is what i will continue to do. I will not let my baby go hungry because i am sitting in an "upscale" restaurant.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?