Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DreamDancer44
Msg: 501
Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?Page 21 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)

And I keep reading about women in this thread breastfeeding till their children are 2-3 years old??? WTF??? Thats beyond wrong. If the child is old enough to walk, its old enough to eat like a normal human being too. Out of a kiddy cup or something.

I agree with this too. At two years old a child is eating solid foods and is using Kid cups.
 clown0
Msg: 502
Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?
Posted: 10/11/2008 12:25:34 PM
What is screwed up a guy can go outside without a shirt on, why can't a woman. Most of those that are complaining about breast feeding in public are just jealous, or either are those far right christianity people. I believe it should be allowed, if it is illegal to breast feed, I think it should be illegal for people to eat food at a picnic.
 piscescoda
Msg: 503
Posted: 10/11/2008 7:52:22 PM
Support whole-heartedly.
 EpisodeIV
Msg: 504
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2008 8:49:15 PM
Breasts seem to be originally intended to feed and nourish the youngest of the herd. As such breasts are not "sexual" in their original sense but utilitarian. Somehow we have sexualized breasts. And it is more so in the U.S. than in other countries including other industrialized countries.

Evidence indicates breastfeeding is so right and best for the new human. What can be more natural than the mother nourishing the young? Considering that I believe any woman should be able and allowed to feed their baby anytime and anywhere. Why make it such a big deal?

To those who have a problem with breastfeeding in public or anywhere, anytime I just want to say... grow up!!!
 shurite48
Msg: 505
Posted: 10/11/2008 10:13:41 PM

Why? Does it taste worse in public or something?
 shurite48
Msg: 506
Posted: 10/11/2008 10:24:47 PM
Well I don't care how bad it tastes in public. The kid will just have to get used to it.

Anything that gets a female booby out in the open is ok by me.
 indigodream
Msg: 507
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2008 11:15:38 PM
I chose to breastfeed both of my children. Whenever and wherever they got hungry.

I don't cover up because neither of them tolerated a blanket over the head. I don't do it to flaunt my breast or seek attention. The child's head blocks most of the view anyways.

That method of nourishing a child seems to cause an intense emotional reaction in some. Which has nothing to do with me or my child.

It is easier to look away from an unwanted sight then to try to change the unwanted sight.

I'm happy for the law in Ontario which makes it illegal for anyone to ask a nursing mother to move or cover up.
 piscescoda
Msg: 508
Posted: 10/12/2008 1:38:40 PM
I used to think there was nothing wrong with it, but it didn't need to be some huge display with fireworks. You can easily cover up with a blanket. Then I figured out that eye contact during breastfeeding is sometimes a huge part of the bonding, and now I don't care one way or the other. I'm usually minding my own business or too preoccupied with my own thoughts to notice what everyone else around me is doing.
 mysteriousromeo
Msg: 509
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2008 2:26:17 PM
Breastfeeding in public is most definitely wrong. Mothers should have the decency to go someplace private when breastfeeding their babies. I find the argument that "breast feeding is natural" very humorous. Urinating is natural too but you don't see men pulling out their penises in the middle of the mall and urinating in the planters. And no, covering their penises with a blanket while they're urinating in the panter doesn't make it okay either.
 Lurtle
Msg: 510
Posted: 10/12/2008 8:44:49 PM
Romeo: You make a valid point, except for one tiny problem...no one needs to drink urine to live.
 EpisodeIV
Msg: 511
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2008 4:30:31 AM
Breastfeeding in public is most definitely wrong.
"Most definitely?" What specifically makes it so wrong?

Mothers should have the decency to go someplace private when breastfeeding their babies.
So mothers, who by some accounts are doing their duty of increasing the population and thus the strength of a nation of people (in the archaic mindset), should be ostracized for reproducing? Maybe all mothers and children should be removed from everyday life, rounded up and sent to a secluded compound until the children are weaned and able to eat solid food. Would that be the decent thing to do? After all, every time the baby needs to feed, the mother would have to stop whatever she is doing, gather up her things and move to another location. So the 15-20 minute task of nursing her baby (or whatever it takes) every couple of hours or so should instead take twice that long so no one else is possibly exposed. Mothers couldn't return to the work force as quickly because of the lengthy interruptions impacting productivity. Oh wait, that happens now.

Or perhaps the rest of us, upon seeing a mother and her nursing baby, could simply go on about our business and leave the mother and child to theirs. Couldn't that be a decent thing for the rest of us to do? And then the mother, nursing child and the rest of us could continue to do whatever it is we are doing and coexist peacefully.

I find the argument that "breast feeding is natural" very humorous.
No doubt there are some pretty good jokes based on this process. I'd like to hear Paul Poundstone, Sarah Silverman or Wanda Sikes' take on this. Or even Steve Martin or Tim Allen.

Urinating is natural too but you don't see men pulling out their penises in the middle of the mall and urinating in the planters. And no, covering their penises with a blanket while they're urinating in the panter doesn't make it okay either.
In some cultures they don't even need to use a blanket. The men just face a wall and relieve themselves then go on about their business. The women tend to be left out though considering the different plumbing arrangements genderwise. And that is not just in third world countries. Wasn't that a common practice in France?

Also, as there are a few million of us that live in the rural areas of the U.S., we don't wait to run to the mall to a public restroom or planter either. It's an accepted practice to find a tree, a bush or behind a truck or car so as not to unduly disturb passersby should they be visiting city folk who wouldn't understand. Then we get on about our business or the task at hand.

I don't see why women should have to keep their chests covered at all times anyway. There are still many cultures and societies where women can go about their daily business without the encumbrances of the breast harnesses and other hot attire. And amazingly, the men in those cultures go on about their business as well. Their lives are not stopped by the men's being paralyzed by the sight of bare breasts. Imagine that.

It's a natural thang!
 cotter
Msg: 512
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2011 11:04:37 AM
APPROVE ...

People need to quit being so inhibited about natural body processes.
I breastfed all four of my children for various lengths of time. I did not flaunt it but also did not run and hide when my baby needed nourishment.

Anyone who can't handle it just needs to look away and keep quiet while the little one has dinner.
 _Iconoclast_
Msg: 513
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2011 10:27:00 PM
I approve.

I do appreciate an attempt to cover with a towel or blankie, but new mothers have bigger fish to fry than who's disapproving or not.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 514
Posted: 6/10/2011 2:05:58 AM
Oh goodness, we'd better not breastfeed our children in public in case we offend someone! I mean, how offensive is it to see a woman feeding her child?
I suppose people who are offended would rather hear a child scream in hunger than see it being fed. Get a life!
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 515
Posted: 6/10/2011 3:27:18 AM
Every where we look there are boobies..partial boobies anyway.

Who cares?

Crying and unhappy baby..Oh no.

Shut it up!! Borrow a boobie if you need to.

Now don't change that diaper in front of me..We will have words.
 Buscadoro
Msg: 516
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2011 3:17:10 PM
Approve. Considering the science that supports the health benefits of breastfeeding, I think it makes the most sense. The reduced costs of the feeding the infant are just a bonus.

I don't support breast feeding being confined to toilets, or any places that are hidden from sight. It's fairly obvious what's going on, you typically don't see the lady's breast, and most of all it's not a cause for embarrassment. Since there's no reason to stare, there's nothing to do except move on past the lady and her baby.
 robertkoascorpio
Msg: 517
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2011 10:46:32 AM
Scientifically- it's quite well documented that babies who are breast fed (and they can be both bottle and breast fed) tend to have more antibodies, and statistically are healthier.

If a baby needs to be fed and the woman is discreet and in a safe environment and covers herself with a blanket, whatever- why not ?

Remember- if someone moves away it may be about respecting privacy, not necessarily that he/ she disapproves of this.

A good place to breastfeed a baby if you are out all day is of course the car still using a blanket which gives a lot of privacy/safety., IMO then back to the Mall or whatever you were doing.
Msg: 518
Posted: 8/13/2011 10:47:08 AM

You make a valid point, except for one tiny problem...no one needs to drink urine to live.
We do need to urinate to stay alive though and urinating is natural.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 519
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2011 1:48:03 AM
Approve - wholeheartedly.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 520
Posted: 8/14/2011 5:26:03 AM
I'll bet if we told all the people that say its unnecessary to breast feed a baby in public that they have to give up public cell phone use in exchange ( which is 99 percent unnecessary) they would drop the topic in a heartbeat .
 shmodzilla
Msg: 521
Posted: 8/14/2011 5:28:22 AM
My only complaint ( jokingly) is SOOO many times i have walked by and been checking out a cute mom not realizing that is what she was doing until it looked like i was staring because she was feeding the baby!
 femaleconnection
Msg: 522
Posted: 8/16/2011 5:10:55 AM
Approve-wish every mother would breast feed, it is the best food for a human, hands down.

Formula is a good filler for when Mommy cant be there, but breast is best, no matter what the ad campaigns say.

Im always shocked that people will react so negatively to seeing tit once in awhile...tits were not made to be pushed up and to create a sexual look...yes it is nice that they have that effect, but thier primary use is for feeding the young and we are too caught up in the sexiness of boobs to realise we make young mothers feel badly for thier bodies doing exactly what they are designed to do. Shamefull really.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 523
Posted: 8/21/2011 9:00:47 PM
Anyone who has a proble with a mother feeding her child in public, or sees something sexual in breastfeeding, has the issue, not the mother.
 someonehere2
Msg: 524
Posted: 8/22/2011 5:07:06 PM
I don't see it as a problem. If the baby needs milk, the baby needs to be fed, right? Anyone who sees it as a problem is being dumb.

I have family in Mexico, and a lot of people do it all the time. I think the whole issue of public breastfeeding is more of an American issue. I really don't see an issue with feeding a child in public.
 KIWI3nme
Msg: 525
Posted: 8/22/2011 8:14:43 PM
me: anytime anywhere my baby cried and wants to eat of course I obliged. I would be discreet and cover up with a blanket or thier sling would cover me. There is NOTHING wrong with BF in public just dont go full monty and have your size D's out for all to see, be discreet and MOST ppl will hav no problems at all. Its a natural thing and I I did it everywhere I wanted when THEY WANTED.

I would also tell ppl to go to hell when I got snarky remarks THERE'S A BATHROOM FOR THAT!!! oh really so since YOU are eating too why dont you take your late and sandwich ,sit on the shitter and eat it? My child is EATING just like you so shove it! would you eat in the bathroom? NO.. neither will my baby.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Breastfeeding in public...approve or disapprove?