Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 4737
view profile
History
Hockey anyone?Page 48 of 310    (34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74)
Hi tothemax, I didn't say this game was decided by the officials. I said the score was really 3-1 not 5-1. The two goals that I mentioned shouldn't have counted and video replay confirmed this. I think that the worse bad call was the 1999 Sabres vs Stars Stanley Cup. The winning goal by Brett Hall was allowed after video replay showed his foot was in the crease. All year these kind of goals were disallowed, but not this one. I think it was because it was an excellent goal and the winner for the Stanley Cup. The toe in the crease rule was coincidently gone by the next year. If I were a Sabres fan and someone asked me the last time they won I would say 1999.
 Kaos86
Msg: 4738
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 11/20/2007 6:19:52 PM
The Hull goal was good because he had control of the puck.
He had kicked the puck up to his stick and that constitutes possession there fore his skate in the crease is not an issue.
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 4740
view profile
History
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 11/21/2007 6:42:14 AM
I'm not a Sabres fan, I was just pointing out one of the MANY mistakes officials make.
The noncall for Gretzky highsticking Gilmour in 1993 would have many Leaf fans say that their last Stanley Cup was in 1993 not 1967. My point is the officials need to be held accountable for their mistakes as much as the avg Joe worker. There are many officials Fraser and Magoo most obvious that aren't good enough to ref a pee wee game. I understand it's not an easy job, but they still need to take responsibility when they make mistakes.
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 4743
view profile
History
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 11/21/2007 8:07:30 AM
Sly, the Hull goal in 99 where his foot was in the crease shouldn't have counted. I do agree his foot in the crease didn't help him score and had nothing to do with the goal, but it was a bogus call that was being enforced ALL YEAR until that particular play. The league saw that this rule was stupid and changed it the following year. As for Gretzky's highstick on Gilmour, that DID cost the Leafs the Cup because there was blood and it would have been a 5 min powerplay and most likely the winning goal. The winner was scored by Gretzky who should have been in the penalty box at the time. You said they had game 7 , but there shouldn't have been a game 7. I just like to see the correct team win the Cup. In 99 it was the Sabres and in 93 it was the Leafs.
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 4745
view profile
History
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 11/21/2007 9:27:18 AM
Sly blaming the ref for losses doesn't make me or anyone "a non sport's fan" as you claim. If that were the case the NFL wouldn't have brought in the challanges for possesion calls. They want to get the calls right for their "fans" and the team. Some may still say they get it wrong, but atleast they are trying. I understand there are bad calls every day in sports, but it does seem like certain teams get more calls than others.
eg. Yankees of baseball, Patriots of football, Senators of hockey etc. These teams don't need the help from the officials, they are good enough, but they DO tend to get the close calls in their favour. Why is that? Shouldn't the close calls even out over the course of the season? It rarely does.
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 4748
view profile
History
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 11/21/2007 11:25:39 AM
Ok the Pats didn't get the calls. I was really referring to the Yankees and Senetors, especially the Yankees. They are a great team, but get ALL the close calls. Over a season there are far more favourable calls than bad ones for them and they don't need help. Also I have played baseball at a high level and sorry but the calls don't even out. In 92 we had a good team and with the help from the umpires won the championship. That year we had many calls in OUR FAVOUR, we WON because of favourable calls. I admit it. It didn't feel as good as our 87 championship because it wasn't earned completely on our own. Winning with the help of umpires or officials just isn't as rewarding.(kind of like the Rolyals 85 world series after the umps screwed the Blue Jays, and then worse the Cardinals. I'm trying to remain objective and unbiased and personally I don't think close calls even out. I will agree that they should, but for some teams they just don't.
 Kaos86
Msg: 4750
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 11/21/2007 1:38:28 PM
With regards to the Hull goal you people should read a rule book once in awhile. When a puck enters the crease a player is allowed to enter the crease. Also possession of the puck allowed Hull to do so.

Leafs looked great last night!

Toronto Maple Leafs Celebrating Medeocrity Since 1967
 Kaos86
Msg: 4754
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 11/21/2007 3:29:39 PM
And in 93 if they had called some penalties during game 7 of the Wings/Laughs series Detroit(best power play that season) would have won another cup.
This is all very silly.

When Hull shoots the puck his foot is not in the crease. Ref got it right. Goal was good.

Toronto Maple Leafs.... Celebrating Mediocrity Since 1967
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 4756
view profile
History
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 11/21/2007 4:31:35 PM
Last year the Sabres just choked or were overconfident. Poor officiating was NOT an issue as it WAS in 99. That is history, sorry for upsetting anyone, I just want sports to be fair and history shows that's not always the case. Noone said life was fair.
 BlueShirtBabe
Msg: 4759
view profile
History
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 11/22/2007 4:56:36 AM
Who does everything think is the best goalie in the NHL right now???

I gotta go with "King" Henrik Lundqvist of my NYR...... Never thought a goalie would come along and make me forget Mike Richter.....
 Kaos86
Msg: 4762
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 11/22/2007 1:19:55 PM
The Detroit Red Wings are the No. 1 NHL franchise, followed closely by the Ottawa Senators, according to a report in the Dec. 4 issue of The Hockey News.
The magazine used on-ice and off-ice criteria to evaluate the league's 30 clubs and determine a final score for each franchise. The Senators finished with an overall score of 92.6, while the Wings received 107.1.
The Florida Panthers were at the bottom of the pack. The Montreal Canadiens, the only other Canadian franchise with a top-10 score, were ninth. The Toronto Maple Leafs were No. 13, Edmonton Oilers, 15, Vancouver Canucks, 17, and Calgary Flames, 19.
 Kaos86
Msg: 4765
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 11/23/2007 1:08:02 PM
The season is now one quarter over so who are the trophy winners for the 1st quarter;

Calder(Rookie).............................Patrick Kane
Jack Adams(Coach).......................Denis Savard
Norris Trophy(Defensman)...........Nick Lidstorm
Vezina (Top Goalie).......................Henrik Lundqvist
Hart(MVP)....................................Henrik Lundqvist
 Kaos86
Msg: 4767
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 11/23/2007 4:23:02 PM
My post states for the first quarter. Who are your choices for the first quarter of the season. Just a silly little exercise.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >