Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tick tock
Msg: 5241
view profile
History
Hockey anyone?Page 57 of 310    (43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83)
Yup, smack, I thought the same thing when I saw his name (Crosby) on the list. I'm sure that 20 years from now, his name will be somewhere high up on the list, but he has no business being on it now. As for Iggy, I can see him being on the list somewhere. Why would they choose Rob Blake and Lafontaine over Iggy?

Sterling, it is a tough list to crack. You would probably have a case for Matts in the same way that Smack has for Iggy.
 Kaos86
Msg: 5242
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/26/2008 11:04:45 PM
I put Iggy ahead of Mats.
Anderson was a cake highly overated fed off his teamates.
Clarke led his team to 2 cups. A great leader.
 tick tock
Msg: 5243
view profile
History
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/27/2008 11:29:34 AM
Anderson was a cake highly overated fed off his teamates.

Come on, he wasn't just standing at the side of the net for tap ins. Don't you remember how we would have some great rushes and just crash the net for many, many important game-winning goals?

As for Clarke, I don't care how great of a leader he was, he does not belong at number 15.
 Kaos86
Msg: 5245
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/27/2008 12:01:09 PM
I am not nor have I ever been a Leaf fan. However growing up in southern Ontario it was hard to avoid them. One thing about the Leafs ...I saw a story about 10 years ago which showed that minor hockey in Ontario does well as the Leafs do well. Being that Ontario sends more players to the NHL then any other province for that reason only I want the Leafs to do well. The same correlation I am sure could be proven to exist for all the Canadian teams.

As for Clarke I guess you did not really watch hockey in the 70s. Bobby Clarke was a leader. And he was the heart and soul of the Flyers.

Iginla is a much better player than Sundin. Sundin is good but I am taking the Canadian every time.

Anderson made his career off of Gretzky, Messier, Coffey. I always wondered if he was light in the loafers. "Not that there is anything wrong with that"!
 tick tock
Msg: 5246
view profile
History
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/27/2008 12:15:01 PM
Anderson made his career off of Gretzky, Messier, Coffey. I always wondered if he was light in the loafers. "Not that there is anything wrong with that"!

Yes, he did have that voice, but obviously he wasn't. Last I heard, he was being sued for child support. I still can't believe you think that Anderson made his career off of the rest of Oilers stars. If anyone benefited from Gretz, it would be Kurri, but no one would consider removing him from the list. I think I'll have to dig out some links for classic Anderson goals and then you'll see for yourself that he may not have been a consistent guy, but he was a game breaker...and he was for many years. The type of player that every contender needs.

As for Clarke I guess you did not really watch hockey in the 70s. Bobby Clarke was a leader. And he was the heart and soul of the Flyers.

So...you obviously think his ugly mug belongs on the list, but do you agree with his ranking on this list?
 Kaos86
Msg: 5248
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/27/2008 1:09:46 PM

sorry, but I lost all respect for Bobby Clarke in September of 1972.

Now I am wondering about you.

As for comparing Clark to todays NHL what's the point. It's apples to oranges.
Clark was a star in his day and one of the most feared and respected leaders in the league. He was also one of the first athletes to have to manage diabetes while playing. He is in the Hall of Fame for a reason. Is Anderson in the Hall?
 tick tock
Msg: 5250
view profile
History
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/27/2008 2:10:05 PM
Kaos, I was going to tell you that Alyssa Milano was posing in a sexy Red Wings outfit (don't get too excited, she also posed in a Leafs outfit) on nhl.com, but after Pundit's remark about your "passing fascination" with Anderson...hmmm....

Is Anderson in the Hall?

His name has been mentioned many times over the years. It is just a matter of time.

No He's not. Yet. But there are a lot of folks still lobbying on his behalf. He actually wasn't entirely washed up with the leafswhen we got him. He helped us out in 93 going to the Western final, and he couldn't have been too washed up because Keenan dealt for him just before the deadline in 94 for Gartner (another name that could perhaps be on there) on the Rangers, and he of course teamed up with the likes of Messier and Graves for the Cup in 94.

Good point, Sterling. Just looked up Anderson's stats and he had 3 seasons with over 100 points and one season that was at 99 points, so we could say that he had roughly four 100 point seasons. In the playoffs, he averaged over a point per game throughout his career with the Oilers and roughly a point per game with the Leaf run in '93.

Here is a quote from wikpedia on Anderson that answers some of the reasons as to why he should be considered and why political reasons are factoring into the delay:

Glenn Anderson has not been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame (HHOF). Many supporters felt that his 6 Stanley Cup rings and his statistics - particularly in the playoffs - warranted inclusion. However, his playing career was clouded by problems relating to the media, and his retirement has been marred by documented failures to make child support payments.[1]

Anderson was noted for his aggressive "to the net" playing style, typifying the NHL power forward in the early 1980s. As an NHL player, he scored 498 goals and 601 assists in 1129 regular season games, and added another 93 goals and 121 assists in 225 playoff games. Noted as a "clutch" player, he was able to score key goals when the team most needed them. He scored 5 playoff overtime goals, third only to Joe Sakic's 7 and Maurice Richard's 6. On top of that he had 17 playoff game winning goals, good for 5th in the all time history of the NHL.
 tick tock
Msg: 5252
view profile
History
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/27/2008 3:20:46 PM
Maybe I'm getting old, but that national anthem singer sounded like she sucked ass.

eerrrrr...outdone by the US again! Damn!
 tick tock
Msg: 5254
view profile
History
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/27/2008 4:21:14 PM
If you're going to consider Lanny, then you also have to look at Mike Modano who had better numbers.
 tick tock
Msg: 5256
view profile
History
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/27/2008 5:07:52 PM
Hmmm...something just occurred to me. How does Clarke rank above Scott Stevens? Stevens led his team to 3 cups and was instrumental in waking up his team with devastating hits to other players. I can think of a few series he single-handedly turned around.
 Kaos86
Msg: 5257
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/27/2008 5:35:09 PM
Its amazing the only players you talk about are Leafs...

'k... i finally put my bifocals on and spotted Dennis Potvin on there near the top 10 which is too high looking at Robinson in 18th and Salming way down near 60. Robinson won more Cups and Norris's, and Salming finished 3rd every year behind both of them.

Maybe take Stastny, Hawerchuk and Lafontaine out to plug in Iginla, Sundin, and Adam Oates. Maybe I'd look at Gartner and Lanny replacing Dennis Savard and Crosby. I dunno. Tough list to improve a lot on.

Oats over Hawerchuck and LaFontaine never!

It is early for Crosby I agree but he is a better hockey player than McDonald. Sitler before McDonald.
Dennis Savard certainly deserves to be on the list.

Talk about the Hall what about Dino Cicerelli?
 tick tock
Msg: 5265
view profile
History
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/28/2008 10:45:40 AM

You know what? The more I see the two of them play, the more I like Alexander Ovechkin over Crosby.

have to agree i think i would take a.o. over crosby in a draft. a.o. plays with a passion and love for the game thats going to be able to push a team deep into the playoff's. the kid just loves playing hockey, thats great to see.

I have to agree with these statements. I watched the Caps/Penguins game last week and Ovechkin was a force. He went head-to-head with Malkin in a game of one upmanship. Both scored 2 goals and Ovechkin almost took his head off with an attempted bodycheck - even though they are buddies off the ice. Malkin was pissed and they had a little disagreement right after the attempted bodycheck. He has a passion for the game that combined with his skill can only lead to greatness. Crosby is great, but he just doesn't have the fire and the edge that Ovechkin has.
 tick tock
Msg: 5268
view profile
History
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/28/2008 12:23:11 PM
Agreed. Making such a list seems to be an impossible task with so many different opinions involved. I'd like to see individual lists from some of the more respected figures. Anyway, it looks like people are so confused by some of their selections, they've resorted to calling the judges names (deserving of course):

,****Irvin

Kaos86
Msg: 5286
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/29/2008 5:05:27 PM
Don Cherry's coaching record....

Regular Season Playoffs
Team Years W L T W L
Boston 74-75 40 26 14 1 2
Boston 75-76 48 15 17 5 7
Boston 76-77 49 23 8 8 6
Boston 77-78 51 18 11 10 5
Boston 78-79 43 23 14 7 4
Colora 79-80 19 48 13 / /

Totals 6 250 153 77 31 24

Coach of the Year 75/76

Looks pretty good to me.

Also voted as one of the Greatest Canadians ever.

Long Live Don Cherry
 Kaos86
Msg: 5288
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/29/2008 6:28:39 PM
Walked into what?
I don't have any Cups do you?

Fortunately you are in the minority on Don Cherry as proven by his ratings. I guess most of Canada is not as smart or advanced as Prairie.
 Kaos86
Msg: 5290
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/30/2008 8:56:45 AM
The facts are what the facts are Detroit's playoff record as I stated is at the top of the Conference in the short run not the best but better than most when compared against the other teams playoff record. Over the last 10 seasons they are the best.

Prove otherwise.

<div class="quote">It is a shame that most people cannot see through his charade
It's a shame most people can't think and be as enlightened as you is what you are really saying!
With regards to Cherry lets here some facts as to his bigotry or it's just bigotry from you.

Was Pat Quinn a better coach?
 Kaos86
Msg: 5293
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/30/2008 10:33:23 AM
Don Cherry is critical of all soft style hockey players. The man says what he thinks. He is old school. You can call him a biggot all you want but that doesn't make it so. He also praises many Europeans who play a more Canadian style and rips on soft Canadians. Thats not bigotry thats just desireing good old school "rock em sock em hockey".
You got a problem with that move to Europe!

Cherry support of our troops and his support of women's hockey especially the National Team has done a lot for the success and moral of both. Several years ago his mentioning on air of the deaths of two people I knew who were killed while driving their grandsons to a hockey game was an incredible boost to the parents who were dealing the death of their parents and serious injury to there child.

Cherry is a Great Canadian who has been good for the CBC,Canadian hockey and the NHL.
 Kaos86
Msg: 5294
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/30/2008 10:33:41 AM
w
 Kaos86
Msg: 5297
Hockey anyone?
Posted: 1/30/2008 12:05:49 PM
Who said he was a hero?
He is just a great Canadian.

I used to referee hockey in the Detroit , Cleveland and Chicago areas. They Loved HNIC and Don Cherry.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good hate eh Prairie.

Long Live Don Cherry and Old Time Hockey!

Let's take a poll on here...I will tally the vote.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >