Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > 'toooo many fish in the sea?'      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cannuckswon
Msg: 51
view profile
History
'toooo many fish in the sea?'Page 3 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
i think i am just going to live in my aquarium , the fish in there love me because i feed them .
 carribeanking7
Msg: 52
'toooo many fish in the sea?'
Posted: 10/9/2005 11:35:07 PM
I caught mine..when I was on a break from fishing...go figure
 callendargirl
Msg: 53
Posted: 10/10/2005 7:44:33 PM
sorry ,I didnt get hooked, I just got snagged, BY A SUSPENSION !!! lets keep this on topic! .....

well i fished this weekend, was very interesting and a lot of fun. I cant say if i found a connection, or if simply i found great friendship! And if for nothing else, what better thing to come of this!

Thanks to everyone here who commented on this post, that they are feeling the same way.
A few simple years ago, even any form of internet dating were considered taboo, we didnt even tell people if we met anyone on line! (no pun)

I am just happy , no matter how we fish that we have this opportunity to fish in this really big pond! surely beats floating around alone in the fish bowl!
 CountIbli
Msg: 54
Posted: 10/10/2005 8:41:49 PM
Bucsgirl, I have no idea what the figures are, but I did an experiment one day. I entered in some search criteria and only varied the gender. I found that despite the search criteria the number of men was 3-4 times higher than the number of women.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/10/2005 8:47:06 PM
CountIbli I'm not arguing at all, that's the only thread I ever saw and if I remembered the name, I'd gladly tell you so you could search. But Big Fish did give figures for signons and the numbers were to the best of my knowledge 1.7 males signed on in a given period to 1 females signing on in a given period. I'm just saying what I saw posted. I've had to take graduate statistics, I understand the variables and samples, I'm sure by region or area it varies greatly. It could be even the day of the week or time period. I don't doubt at all what you say is accurate.
 carribeanking7
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/10/2005 9:18:01 PM
I believe what BUCS is saying..1.7 is the entire POF average...of course it gets
skewed by those who create profiles for trolling purposes...LOL j/k

I remember doing sometime back...in my country of the POF chapter its about 5 men to 1 woman...

If you filter it down to profile that match your criteria....even less
Profiles with mutually matching crietrias even less
matching criterias that contact you or reply your mail even less
Contacts that lead to a date even less
Persons who represented themselves accurately....80% well at least the majority are honest
First dates that lead to a second 40%

So in finding a suitable partner...Macro statistics make about as much sense as Enron's balance sheet's.....LOL

I have replied some guys who mailed me for advice to expose themselves to more websites...as I notice
on other websites this gender gap also exists.
 HB2
Msg: 57
Posted: 10/10/2005 9:22:42 PM
Why do you ppl think I make so many roadtrips and host so many parties?
Connections are made this way.
I rarely go alone on the trips and so many attend the parties that there's usually at least one connection made.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 58
Posted: 10/10/2005 9:32:20 PM
carribeanking I basically learned one thing about statistics. It depends on who's doing it for what intent and is the sample a random sample of the class. Very few statistics published are legit, most are total fluff. And you can skew a medium, a mode or an average by a small number. If you put 2 instead of a 3, you can be way off. Statisics is all about accuracy, accurate numbers, random sample, from a selected class. And once you start plugging in the forumulas...it can get wild deviances. I've had to work out problems many problems that are pages of numbers, from a pencil and a 10 key. I'm not trying in any way to argue or debate with anyone, I only said what I personally saw and that was Big Fish the owner of the site, so I tend to rely on what he says. It was logins in one day, NOT an average, he doesn't have time for that, I'm sure it varies greatly by location. Ask the people from the UK.
 PaulJSINY
Msg: 59
Posted: 5/16/2008 7:18:51 PM
Yes it is my opinion at least from the male point of view picky and a long list of must haves.
Must be this and must be that the list seems to get longer as we get older.
It surely seems the number of singles will continue to grow.
The games that were played when we were younger are still being played today.Honesty is rare and lame excuses are the norm.
When a guy asks a lady to dance often the reply is no thankyou I am tired. Then alogn comes Mr Smooth and off to the dance floor they go. Duh Ladies how about just a plain no thank you and skip the I am too tired line.
And just maybe you might find the perfect man for you is right under your nose but you failed to notice because your must have list was blocking your view
 Eryx_UK
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2008 4:47:35 AM
I think that the current age with all its internet dating and such has caused more problems when looking for that mr or mis right, than before. We're bombarded dailey by images of the perfect man or woman and so in the public conciousness thats what we start looking for.

Just 20 or 30 years ago, you met someone at the pub or wherever, started talking and if the fates were with you then maybe you hit it off. Now, people don't want to know if arn't the "perfect" image they have in your mind.

So, yes, I do think (perhaps a little cynical) that theres too many fish in the sea that only go for one type of bait.
 Just JJ2
Msg: 61
Posted: 5/17/2008 4:56:04 AM
My opinion is......

Unless you are meeting at the events planned......

We are all just one click away from the next best offer.

I for one, when at a restaurant would prefer a limited menu. Too many choices just causes confusion...

jmo jj
 Eryx_UK
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2008 5:03:23 AM

More like too many freaks in the circus!

LOL. About right.
 beautifuldancer400
Msg: 63
Posted: 5/20/2008 3:43:30 AM

his tail is too short!

lmao!!!

I would have to say I agree. I'm guilty of this also...especially when I first tried this. That summer I believe I had about 30 FIRST dates...no seconds.

Now, I'm just a lot more picky about who I will even meet. I guess we all have our "must haves" or "must not haves" but we need to be compatable in so many ways.

It's a toss up as to if this is a good or bad thing.
 sweet_n_heart
Msg: 64
Posted: 5/20/2008 12:44:11 PM
Before I met my boyfriend. I didn't have many fish to pick from. Memory sucks but I think my boyfriend and one other were the only one's who messaged me. Anyone I messaged first wasn't interested aka just didn't reply. Alot are picky on what want in another person, so to me cause of that, there's not much fish to pick from.. Alot who won't take the bait.. or just can't hook anyone.

In the end I think it depends on who you are, where from, interests of how many options you have... not everyone has oodles of options to pick from.
 nycdoctor
Msg: 65
Posted: 5/20/2008 12:46:55 PM
It good that there are many fish in the sea....it allow a man to not get so obsess with just one woman and get **** whip.
 SacredHeartWRKR
Msg: 66
Posted: 6/8/2008 6:43:40 PM
I Think There Could Be A Lot Of Very Very Nice Ladies In The Pensacola
Florida Area Looking For An Honest Single Guy Who Wants A Relationship With
No Head Games !
 littleitalian699
Msg: 67
Posted: 7/6/2008 7:11:23 AM
I totally agree with what your saying, was dating a guy for a couple of months and he would not delete his profile after I did, He said he just went on to view my pictures. lmao ok so I made up a fake profile and set the hook, sorry to say he bit!! He offered to pick her up on his motorcycle and the whole nine yards. He swore up and down that he was not talking to other woman on the sight but of course I knew the truth, I had it in writing. So yes there are alot of fish in the sea but what they find out that there are also alot of carp so I say keep fishing too and play their little game. Im glad it happened now and moving on. His loss not mine. happy fishing.
 littleitalian699
Msg: 68
Posted: 7/6/2008 7:12:24 AM
should be called Plenty of Freaks!!! but there are a few prize fish out there just have to keep setting your line.
 STH III
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2008 11:12:07 PM
truth is, nice looking women get lots of emails and guys don't get too many. I only wish I could get as many emails as some females I have known. Most women say they want the nice guy that can say what they feel but from what I see it is mostly looks and age. I am a very young 55 but a lot of women wont even let you write to them if you are over 45 when they themselves are in their forties.
 kibro5
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2008 7:15:25 PM
No, I don't think there are too many. When your fishin you initially will probably go with someone who appeals physically right? Well, lets say you go out, you find you have that chemistry together and click. I don' think you would choose to throw him back because his tail is too short right? No, if you decide to throw him back, I think you haven't met the one your searching for. Be patient, good things come to those who wait.
 arcticdude
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/1/2009 8:08:16 AM

Are we becoming too picky now that we have so many choices?

The sheer numbers boggle the mind, true, but that, in my mind, does not translate into actual ‘choices’!

When you start weeding, and are ‘weeded out’ by others, I wouldn’t think there are all that many ‘fishies’ left to sift through.

This is ultimately just an ‘introduction’ service. We still have to eventually meet and evaluate the ones we choose…and that is done the old fashioned ways…

I don’t see a problem here with being picky. Maybe the more careful we are to find someone compatible, the more likely things will last…

I’ve not found anything mutual yet, but I’m happy with the process.
 enginebuilder55
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2009 9:14:12 AM
It a great website for dates. I never judge by body type just inside her heart and mind. Some women answer me and some don't . I'm never going to get a model or rich women. I have realistic expectations with the ladies in my area. Some women around here are very picky not me. I want to know more about the ladies. A picture or no picture , a parargragh and a few questions cannot tell the whole story about a person expecially in my age group. Many ladies have done so much more then their profiles. Like anywebsite we all have to expect not all is going to be right with the people on the internet have good intentions. I believe some people want to just chat on this website without trying to date. Dating today is tougher then the past. The internet is a great research tool but we all have to pick up the phone and make the initial contact. I think some people have reservations about meeting people. If there are to much I feel there is just enough to keep me active.
 abelian
Msg: 73
Posted: 7/15/2009 1:01:10 PM

my question is.,,, ARE THERE TOOOOO MANY FISHES IN THE SEA!!!. Are we becoming too picky now that we have so many choices? When gramma met grampa at the box social (whatever that was) at church, did he have this many fish? When our parents met in highschool , didnt they search and choose from the smaller crowd. Now we have the option of thousands.

There are never too many options. There are only people who are too stupid to know when to stop looking.
 Opequon
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2009 4:16:16 PM
"There are never too many options. There are only people who are too stupid to know when to stop looking. "

So very true!
 111Enigma
Msg: 75
Posted: 5/10/2010 5:33:04 PM
Yes, the Online thingy makes it harder for people to take their time to actually get to know someone slowly....

Everything is going very quickly and people lose interest if their counterpart is not up to part with expectations right away.

I am guilty of this phenomena myself.

Online dating is supposed to make things easier....yet ... it's so much harder.

My advice? Keep on fishing and hope for a good catch!

P.A.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > 'toooo many fish in the sea?'