Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Women with only guy friends      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 :
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Women with only guy friendsPage 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I love women, but they are different from men. For one thing men ask for less, at least from other men. I have some female friends that seem to expect me to worship them for being in my life, and then when I liberally threaten them with spankings they giggle girlishly/gleefully and redouble their efforts. That kind of BS you will never get from a guy.

I don't think women know what is going on anymore then men. They are just as apt to be pragmatic, and fall into the same intellectual pitfalls but are generally more moody about it.

I do love them inspite of it though. They are soft after all, and they generally smell pretty.
 Dwn2earthGuy
Msg: 27
Women with only guy friends
Posted: 10/10/2005 6:28:49 PM
Ladies, let's flip the scenario the other way. What if your man ONLY had women friends and hung out with them when you're not around. How would you feel about that?

For women with only guy friends, my take is it has to depend on the quality of the relationship and the trust that's built between the couple. I know how some men can behave, in trying to get into a woman's pants - especially a good-looking woman, and would maintain the friendship until an opportunity arises when the woman is frail or vulnerable.
 fishbill
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/10/2005 6:41:50 PM
right on aceloak. we know, since we are guys. I am still totally confused and dumbfounded, why normal women aren't friends with other normal women? Is it because they aren't normal? No wonder its old men running all the corporations.
 am70sguy
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2005 10:45:48 PM
A wise person once told me that if you can't get along with your own sex, you won't be successful with the opposite sex. I think I see a grain of truth to that.
 WallsOfRaiford
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/10/2005 10:47:20 PM
Women can't get along with most other women... It's a competitive thing. Always criticizing each other's hair and clothes and character.... Things men don't really care about.
 livewirehere
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/11/2005 12:20:10 AM
I totally agree with the competition thing~~ I've only had maybe 3 good women friends in my life... Always guys. But, I don't hang out with them alone when I'm in a relationship..I"d always include my "significant other" or else not go out. In fact, many of the most recent guy friends I've had were the best friends of my ex.... so we all hung out together.... ((although most of the "wives" left after a short time))..... I loved it... Nothing better than a bunch of guys hanging out, drinking beer at the lake around a fire>>>That's when they're REALLY themselves..... And they forget I"m even there ((like a fly on the wall))~~~
 fishbill
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/11/2005 12:43:37 AM
I thought most normal women get along great with other normal women?
 livewirehere
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/11/2005 12:56:15 AM
Maybe those of us that don't aren't normal then>? Good point~~ LOL~~ I've never been the type to do lunch, go shopping, and gossip on the phone... and never will be~~~ I find it extremely boring... So, different strokes, I guess..... I prefer to be not "normal"~~~~ It's what makes life interesting
 dark_moon
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/11/2005 2:07:23 AM
I don't ENJOY shopping. I cook only not to starve, so I don't have any interest in talking about recepies (hell I can't even spell it LOL). Would rather beat my head into a brick wall than sit around and talk on end about child rearing, soap operas, how to get stains out of laundry, where to get the best bargains on shoes, and all the other stuff most women can talk endlessly about. I don't see the appeal of the doing lunch thing. Probably because I find the conversation dull. And if I must shop, for cloths or whatever, I would rather just go do it alone and get it done rather than make a social event out of it.

Since I was a kid, just because of who was around to be friends with, and as an adult because I work mostly with men, I have spent most of my time around men. I know how to relate to men better and have more common interests with men. I'm very uncomfortable around women, the same as many men are.

Some men I have dated have not been ok with my choice of friends. But it is part of who I am that my friends are men. I couldn't change that any more than I can change my shoe size.

So count me with the abnormals
 missy_pq
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/11/2005 2:21:35 AM
I say a woman with ONLY guy friends has some issues. If they don't have ANY female friends, there is apparently a reason for it. Maybe they had trust issues with the females in their early childhoods? Maybe they require more attention than the women are prepared to give? Don't really know. My 2 best friends are female and male. They both have good heads and good hearts and I would never give either of them up. I can say anything, anytime to either of them and know that we say there, stays there. Same with me; I am there thru thick-n-thin and would never do anything to betray either of them.
 Mina649
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2005 2:39:08 AM
how about men with only women friends???
 drpepprhamster
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/11/2005 3:22:29 AM
I have the same views on that; there is obviously something wrong.
 linda68
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/11/2005 4:16:25 AM
Gosh I like guy friends totally! I have a few and no girlfriends really. Me and the guy I date actually talk a lot with one of my guy friends. haha I have to go thru my buddy before we can enter into certian things! I love having a guys perspective on stuff!
 Lazyboyz
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/11/2005 4:22:39 AM
It's because we guy's are simple & uncomplicated...we love to just be like kids. I have
2 girl-friends who are like the ladies here. They too don't run with the female
crowd and prefer a guy's company. One thing I noticed from these girls
is that they are in many way's like kids at heart. I love them so much.

And yes, I let them take me shopping...can't have it my way all the time.
 Satisfiher
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2005 4:48:22 AM
My views are quite simple actually,if you love and trust each other enough ,why should it matter what gender your friends are.If you're that insecure about your mates friends ,then you are the one with issues not your partner.Also,I don't think it is at all fair for anyone to pick our friends or who we choose to hang around with.If everything is kept in perspective why should it matter whether our friends are male or female.I think a lot of it has to do with our upbringing,because, myself, was always around older people,and I seem to relate to them a lot more than anyone else regardless of whether they are male or female.
 livewirehere
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/11/2005 8:40:34 AM
I have to agree with dark_moon... just because we're women doesn't mean we have all of the same interests... I have 1 good woman friend right now, and that's plenty... She's actually quite a bit younger than me, but we have a lot in common, so it works.... I have just always related better with guys ((maybe because I grew up with only brothers?)) It's just me... I'm not a typical girly girl, but can be if I have to~~~~~~~ Like for work, going out sometimes, etc.... But, it's not when I'm most comfortable and myself...
 Songblaze
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/11/2005 9:36:40 AM
I think a person of either gender who only had friends of one gender would make me a little nervous! I mean, I'd like to be involved with someone who can relate to /people/, not to their sex or the opposite sex, y'know?

Having said that...I think there is sometimes some truth to the idea that male friends often want in their female friends' pants. I've run into it myself, and been horribly disconcerted by it, because they were men I thought of as brothers...and they thought of me, often, preferably naked in their bed. I was shocked! That's not to say that I believe all my male friends are like that, nor to say that it has changed my (slight) preference for male friends rather than female...but it /did/ stun me.

I do, however, still have female friends - at the moment, most of my 'inner circle' is female. The gender composition of my group of friends varies, the consistant point being that they are people I would walk through fire for, and who I believe would do the same for me.
 Poorgie
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/11/2005 10:26:41 AM
I agree it is better to have the company of a man since they are a little less catty.

1. Subtly cruel or malicious; spiteful: a catty remark.
2. Catlike; stealthy.

I would rather that man be me and here is why:

When a woman decides on seeing many male guys as "friends", you still have that guarding of your thoughts and actions when dealing with all members of the opposite sex. Couples should be able to avoid falling into temptation, which is why there are so many divorces nowadays. Humans are still imperfect and that includes any male "friends" you may have. Your friends should be your husbands friends. No wife of mine will be spending time with men I do not know... I would trust my wife but I would be protective of her, the way a man should be. That's all I have to say about that.
 blueeyedpaula
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/11/2005 10:54:45 AM
tag

i have mostly only girlfriends. just because, i don't have catty friends, and it is great to beable to relate to another women. i do have a few guy friends, but i prefer to out dancing with my girlfriends. i have girlfriends who i would give my left arm for and never ask for anything back. if a women has only guy friends i don't think it should be a big deal. if she relates to men best then that is great.
 Suzy_Chestnut
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/11/2005 10:57:01 AM
I can relate to other females.
I can get along with other females.
I work with 99% females.

Here is why I don't have any "real life" female friends right now. (I do know a couple of wonderful women that I keep in touch with by email and phone.)

First off, I grew up hanging around with mostly boys because that's what my sister and I had available to us in our small neighborhood... I only had one female friend when I was a kid.

When I was married at age 20, my ex-husband and I became friends with other couples. When we divorced, those friendships faded away... there's just not a lot of common ground between happily married people and divorced people, and I think most people don't like being reminded how fragile marriage relationship can be.

I had a few girlfriends in the next few years. One ended up moving away to Texas, and the other to Minneapolis.

I had a couple more in recent years... but both were using me in some way. One liked hanging out with me because I had a car and money to spend. I drove her everywhere and when we got there she was usually broke so I had to pay for everything. The other one was married, but we knew each other back in high school. We had a lot of fun until I realized she was cheating on her husband with MANY different guys, and often using me as her alibi.

As others have mentioned, there is often a competition going on between females. I can't tell you how much I totally HATE that! I don't want anyone else's boyfriend! I don't care who's prettier or who has the bigger butt. And the gossip... and the lack of trust because if you confide anything of a personal nature, the whole town will know within 24 hours. Why on earth would I want to deal with that??

I guess I should make a distinction between acquaintances and friends. I have many female acquaintances. But to me, friendship involves talking and doing things together on a regular basis. I do like shopping and fashion... but that's about all I have in common with other women. I have a wide range of interests, and most of them are quite nerdy!

So if you all don't mind, I'll just keep my male friends. If that makes me "undateable" in your world, I can live with that.
 Poorgie
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/11/2005 11:15:56 AM

Boyfriends last a blink of an eye, friends are (practically) forever.

I disagree again. Your "boyfriend" should be closer to you then any friend since you share the gift of delightful intimacy which should be reserved for marriage in the first place.
 grplaman
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/11/2005 12:52:32 PM
most women feel safe wth us gay guys.
 fishbill
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/11/2005 1:01:57 PM
"my views are quite simple" If you love and trust someone, you shouldnt be hanging around in private with "friends" of the opposite sex, because to 85% of the planet, this is corrupt and leads to affairs. Ok for the 15% of you who only hangs around with the opposite sex, good luck with your love life. Who is more important, a person you choose to mate with, or one of many friends, esp of the op sex. My mate is the most important person in my life, except my child of course.

One thing that I feel has been overlooked above, is the "depth of the friendships" mentioned. Hey, its totally ok to have friends of the opposite sex, you just dont go places alone with them, got it? And for some reason, no one above thinks of that or writes about it.
 Poorgie
Msg: 49
Posted: 10/11/2005 1:24:41 PM

i find women two faced and fake

I guess I will never get a date knowing that.
 rphjrtampa
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/11/2005 1:25:09 PM
On the flip side, most (but certainly not all) of my closest friends are female. To the best of my recollection, that all started in college. My major required me to take many of the same courses as the nursing students, most of those who were - you guessed it - women. Never thought twice about it.

(It can be a curse though! Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink!)

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Women with only guy friends