Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sparxarebad
Msg: 24
Random acts of Kindness....Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)

The only person who is going to note and remember your kindness is the person you were kind to.

On a side note, if there is anyone looking to boost their self worth by giving without expecting anything in return, please feel free to contact me.

I don't do it to boast my self worth, I just do it for smiles and reactions. I won't contact you buy you should hang out at The Forks more often because if you see a guy walking around giving flowers away to strangers... well that would more than likely be me and I will give you one too! I haven't been able to get there as much as in the past as I don't live in the city anymore. But when I do go south I do tend to go overboard on the flower giving thing. I hope people pay it forward as well and have heard from a few people that they did just that. And that makes it cool. Another one I love doing is when in a checkout line saying "I have the penny(pennies)" when someone's bill comes to an odd number in change. Admittedly this one has to be premeditated as you need to have the pennies handy. Its one of those tiny RAK but sometimes appreciated more than gold. I'll never forget doing it at a Sobey's and the old guy waited outside for me to shake my hand and thank me for such "...gracious generosity!" the likes of which he hadn't seen since he was a young man.

On a side note, what gets me is how few people are looking for videos of RAK. I have two videos on youTube one of a RAK and the other of a cuckoo clock striking 11:00. The clock vid has gotten 462 hits and the RAK has gotten 159 hits. Does that not seem strange to anyone else?
 Dudleyh45
Msg: 25
Random acts of Kindness....
Posted: 9/15/2009 7:12:12 PM

On a side note, what gets me is how few people are looking for videos of RAK. I have two videos on youTube one of a RAK and the other of a cuckoo clock striking 11:00. The clock vid has gotten 462 hits and the RAK has gotten 159 hits. Does that not seem strange to anyone else?

I know what a cuckoo clock is but what is a RAK?

How do we determine if it is a random act? Someone mentioned holding a door, i've done that all my life as far as i can remember so it would hardly be random. Using proper manners or any of the common courteousies shouldn't be random should it?
I think everyone does acts of kindness throughout life but doesn't talking about it detract from the kindness?
 sparxarebad
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/15/2009 8:34:08 PM
[quoteI know what a cuckoo clock is but what is a RAK?

Random Act of Kindness

search "Flowers for Strangers"
 printer2
Msg: 27
Posted: 9/15/2009 8:50:36 PM
The other week I had to go to a patient's room and moved some of the furniture to look at something. Before I left I apologized for moving things around and she said she did not mind, it gave her something else to look at as she had been looking at the same tack for two days.

She had her head in a brace and could not move it, and only could look at the opposite wall with a bulletin board with a tack on it. I felt sorry for her.

I tracked down a woman in another building that had a few nice pictures of Japanese gardens on her wall. I explained the situation and she gave me one (was one page of a calender). I went back and pinned it to the bulletin board, the woman thanked me as I left.
 haywiresue
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/17/2009 8:43:37 AM
Random acts of kindness usually make the giver feel good about themselves. What I find to be the unexpected reward is the receivers reaction of acknowledgement by how they say thanks, or their smile, or the look in their eyes.

As humans, we need to feel appreciated and unfortunately we are often taken for granted by those we care about the most. For some people their lack of feeling appreciated makes them appear to be looking for a "reward" after showing a random act of kindness to a stranger.

I have bought mittens for kids in the winter who were standing at a bus stop without any and it was -30 with the windchill. I have helped elderly people load groceries from their carts into their cars at the store. I have on 3 or more separate occassions driven elderly ladies home from Polo Park who lived in the area and were either too hot or too tired to walk home. I don't expect anything from any of this and refused money offered to me by the ladies I have driven home. It felt good telling them to go out for coffee, or take a friend to lunch, on me with that money. I think doing these things are good for the soul. When I am sad or feeling sorry for myself, I often think about things I have done for others, what people have done for me and just remembering the smiles and warmth of being appreciated, gets me over it quickly.

Printer, taking the trouble to get that picture for that lady was really nice of you.

Does anyone else have the urge to rent the movie "Pay It Forward" again?
 flyin-high
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2009 2:03:56 PM

I think I like to be acknowledged for this kind of stuff.......but I've come to understand that as my ego acting up......so I can just try to practice that kind of behavior without having any expectations.
Chuck, I understand what you and Dudley are saying that it somehow cheapens the act of kindness when you have expectations. I believe what you’re experiencing is the inherit guilt associated with religious moral teachings. Regardless if you’ve ever seen the inside of a church or not, most of us grew up with these teachings, they are a part of societal beliefs which no one questions. Being a martyr or a missionary is highly regarded among the religious crowd, but they have no place in a healthy society which seeks equality for all individuals.

All relationships between individuals (family, friends, husbands, wives or just associates) need some degree of equality. If there is no equality, sooner or later, you’re going to feel used and you're going to say, F uck it!. To deny that fact is nothing more than a claim that your behavior is morally above that of everyone else.

Feeding your ego while making someone else happy seems like the way to go, after all, you’re making two people happy instead of one… how can that be bad?
 susan_cd
Msg: 31
Posted: 9/18/2009 12:05:31 AM

I think everyone does acts of kindness throughout life but doesn't talking about it detract from the kindness?

I don't see how talking about it detracts; , it'd still be random, it'd still be a kind act and telling others about it may inspire them to do some RAK.
 sparxarebad
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/18/2009 3:52:54 AM
I agree with susan_cd

It doesn't take anything away from the act to share it with others.
 bigger_millwright
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/29/2011 4:28:46 AM

Chuck, I understand what you and Dudley are saying that it somehow cheapens the act of kindness when you have expectations. I believe what you’re experiencing is the inherit guilt associated with religious moral teachings. Regardless if you’ve ever seen the inside of a church or not, most of us grew up with these teachings, they are a part of societal beliefs which no one questions.

Its funny, a church I went to a few years ago, in a different stage of my life was the opposite of those old beliefs I was raised with. When they heard about my "Flowers for Strangers" campaign they were excited about it. Not only that they wanted me to tell more people about it because they felt the world needed to hear more good stories instead of all the bad ones that surround us every day! I'm the one with the cuckoo clock video, which is now at over 4500 hits. The random acts of kindness video is at 947 hits. What does that tell say about the world?

Whatever it says, I'm still going to keep buying flowers and giving them to strangers to make their day or to make mine. And I will share some of those times with whomever wants to hear them. All the reactions are awesome but some just stick with me more than others.

For instance... I went to a retirement home a month ago and this wonderful woman met me at the door as she was going to visit her mom as she does every day for lunch. Noreen showed me around and introduced me to some of the residents as she has gotten to know almost all of them. We walked and talked as I gave away flowers to the residents. A week later on the Friday, Noreen and I crossed paths again. She told me that one of the recipients of a rose the previous Sunday was so happy to get it. She told me that Mrs Krys walked around all that day holding her flower and smiling and happy telling people that a "nice man gave me this flower". Noreen told me how happy it made her to see Mrs Krys so happy that day. Mrs Krys didn't wake up Monday, at 96 years old she passed away that night. Noreen told me to cheer up... she said "You made her last day!"

I like sharing that story, its true and its an experience I don't want to keep for myself.
 CatManDo1959
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2011 5:08:20 PM
I have two preferences. One that it's not anonymous (Serves my ego, I guess. I know "a hero ain't nothin' but a sandwich" but silent appreciation beats confusion on the other end). And money, someone who's problem is money usually stems from other prob's, not always but IMHO. And I got screwed over this summer breaking that guideline over what I thought was just going to be someone simply needing a ride and turned out as a woman with a 'good story'.
But...3 1/2 years ago, I found a cel phone in the Ellice WalMart. After figuring out how it works, I called the most likely number three times (I'm not leaving it in the WalMart lost and found; the owner wouldn't neccessarily know where he dropped it and the store may not be inclined to follow up. Ditto for the cops.) before leaving it in the car before going to a movie prior to leaving the city. Once home, I asked a couple of places, then brought it to MTS where it turns out they have a return program. I did phone the displayed number to make sure he got it or knew about it.
That year, I sold my Sopranos box set, 1 to 6 1/2. I held onto the email of the buyer and when I found the remaining, the second part of the last season a year later, I passed the where and price information along to the buyer. Then erased his saved email when he wrote back surprised acknowledgement and thanks.
This last trip up to the city, I stopped in Lorette. A woman was looking for a certain CD of the 80's band Split Enz for her mother's birthday May of last year. I told her it was hard to find, recommended eBay, but, time-frame in mind, offered to burn a copy of mine with a photocopy of the covers. I -wasn't- going to sell my good classic rock CD's. I recently ran across the same CD (y'find things when y'ain't lookin'), and dropped it off (she was n/a but a relative was there) last Tuesday, gratis. It's always better to have the original, the real t'ing. And, of course, as closure, I deleted our correspondence from last year.
Little things like getting the door is potentially insulting if it's based on gender, but age and need (dealing with a load of parcels or kidlets) is sensible criteria.
 goingbonkers
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/8/2011 11:31:48 AM
I was at the Tim's drive thru and as the wait was long I let a car go in ahead of me even though they were there after me. When I got to the window the cashier said my coffee was already paid for. WOW! I didn’t give it a second thought to let that person in front of me. So it was really nice to receive that coffee. Wish I could have said thanks.
Sure made me feel good and a great start of the day!
 KayKay114
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2011 9:04:29 PM
I was feeling rather emotional one day, and I was walking downtown towards a building. I had to have been about eight feet away, and a lady stood at the door to hold it open for me. I almost cried.
 sandymustlovedogs6
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2012 12:39:52 AM
I'm a starbucks junkie, so I will purchase the persons coffee behind me. Although next year I want to pay for a family that is strugglings lay away for Christmas. A great gift to me and them:) I love paying it forward makes for a better caring world :)
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  >