Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Pandy
Msg: 2
Ulcers, Heartburn, Acid Reflux Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I have stress related acid reflux...and a glass of pinot about 30 minutes before I go to bed reduces the symptoms enough for me to sleep when nothing else (including prescriptions) has helped.

Pinot in particular over other wines because it is low in sulfites which are acidic and can actually cause heartburn/reflux. I can drink merlot , too and have it help...but not everyone can.
 sammysalt
Msg: 8
Ulcers, Heartburn, Acid Reflux
Posted: 10/21/2005 12:56:13 AM
You will laugh at me for this, but have someone make you some elderberry jelly. Eat it in the morning with toast, every morning, and see if over time you don't stop having problems with it.
 justjazz
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/6/2006 9:28:43 AM
LOL.....the conspiracy theoris even show up for you here...I love it LMAO.
 Hockeygirl777
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2006 12:56:59 AM
Try Goji Juice, i've heard it works miracles.
 cookie22222
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2010 7:20:40 AM
I take Alka Seltzer. I haven't ever been able to burp for some reason. I totally get the heart attack feeling...when I get that, I about RUN for the Alka Seltzer.

Bunky - keep an eye out for gall bladder issues - from what I've seen with friends that can be a cause of "indigestion" or whatever you want to call it.
 kasandroid
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/12/2010 11:15:23 AM
Yeah some people have no choice but to take prescriptions daily, unless you want them walking around in public, retching and puking all over the place. Projectile vomiting is no fun. Once I almost ruined my computer and barely made it to he bathroom, then I threw up like 4 more times trying to clean it up. MMMMMMMMMM! Yeah that was the last time I made chili. I'm suppossed to use a blender alot but throwing a steak and what else in the blender seems bizarre. LOL. What was that show on TV, that made people drink worms and gross stuff out of a blender? Oh yeah 2 seconds of watching that before changing the channel also ruined the whole blender thing.

It's important to control the acid reflux before it damages your esophagus. Let me tell you esophagitis is not fun at all. I was trying over the counter stuff, and herbal stuff and bla bla, nothing helped. Tums and Pepto is only for short-term use, not daily, and probably adds more problems.

Watch out for vitamin defiencies as well. Some people cannot absorb vitamins properly from the foods they can eat. Long-term stomach pills can add to this.

Bla, bla, bla, once I was on this one stomach pill that made me have breastmilk, and wow that was really bizarre since I wasn't even preggers, and so the doctor looked it up in the pillbook and there it was.

All this acid reflux started during my menses, over time it progressed to any time of the month. Of course there are some doctors who chose not to believe various things are related, and refuse to help you with anything before it's too friggen late. Yeah when I walked into emerge years ago,with my clothes hanging off me, (cause I couldn't keep food down) all dehydrated, and out of it, requesting an IV full of nutrients, then they started listening.

I'm on Pariet as well, 3 every morning. Your all welcome I chose not to puke on you.
:P
 arwen52
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2010 5:10:17 PM
Reflux is often the result of an incompetent lower esophageal sphinctre. It doesn't close properly, doesn't keep your stomach acid in your stomach. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with eating healthy or not. There are things that aggravate it, particularly caffeine, chocolate, and alcohol.

BTW, reflux and heartburn are different from ulcers and some ulcers are caused by a bacteria and need to be treated with antibiotics.

If reflux (heartburn) is becoming frequent, it really needs to be treated. Stomach acid getting into your esophagus can eventually cause esophageal cancer, which is not a very treatable cancer.

LICORICE is amazing for this issue...it's helps aid digestion and heals the ulcer over time.

Licorice aggravates my reflux. I have pure, concentrated Italian licorice and I have to use it carefully which is unfortunate because I love it.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2014 7:46:29 AM

Miraculously, My acid reflux VANISHED after my wife took off with another man

^^^^^^^Great for migraines too!!

If you suspect acid reflux, the issue may be an actual lack of enough acid or to many food types at a time/ not enough digestive enzymes).

Quick test: Take a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar before a meal.( you can dilute in a bit of water)
If you do not have the re flux or burning, its to LITTLE acid in the stomach and not to much.
If it burns, then drink cool water and you probably have to much acid.
Usually it will not burn.

DGL Licorice is the type you should use for a stomach with to much acid.
It comes in a wafer and is chewed with a nice flavor to it.
The regular Licorice can cause issues, esp with those with high blood pressure.

If you are low on digestive enzymes, they make papaya chews that help a lot of people or you can eat fresh papaya/pineapple before meals or buy expensive digestive enzymes for certain food groups or all food groups.

From wholefoodsgroups:
What would cause digestive enzymes to stop working correctly in the body?

First, diseases may prevent proper digestive enzyme production.

Pancreatic problems, including cystic fibrosis, pancreatic cancer, and acute or chronic pancreatitis.
Brush border dysfunction, the most severe is long standing Celiac disease, where the brush border is flattened or destroyed. Other diseases like Crohn’s can also cause severe problems.

But even in the absence of any obvious disease, things still may not be working properly.

Low-grade inflammation in the digestive tract (such as that caused by “food allergies,” intestinal permeability, dysbiosis, parasitic infection, etc.) can lead to deficiencies in digestive enzymes.
Aging has been associated with decreased digestive function, though I personally wonder if this is a result of aging, or aging badly.
Low stomach acid—we’ll talk about this more in a future article, but if you have low stomach acid, it’s likely that you won’t have adequate digestive enzymes either.
Chronic stress. This is the most common reason for digestive enzyme problems. Our body has two modes: sympathetic “fight or flight,” and parasympathetic “rest and digest.” When we’re in “fight or flight” mode, digestive is given a very low priority, which means digestive function (including digestive enzyme output) is dialed down. Chronic stress= constant “fight of flight” mode = impaired digestive enzyme output.

In order to avoid indigestion and tummy aches in the first place, it would be wise to cut out products like dairy, soy and peanut butter. All of which are difficult for the body to digest, in the first place. Your second step would be to practice proper food combinations. Ted Morter has a great food combining chart/lifestyle. (what food combining pairs foods that require the same digestive acids, and enzymes). These acids and enzymes work together to break down the food, instead of against it.

Why not Antacids?

Antacids, especially ones that contain aluminum, can interfere with calcium, zinc, and magnesium absorption, and function. The elderly and under pressure business person/parent can over consume antacids due to indigestion and heartburn and encourage mineral deficiencies. Can you say Bone loss?
Many contain aluminum hydroxide, or calcium carbonate can weaken protein digestion, and lead to constipation. While antacids containing magnesium hydroxide, or sodium bicarbonate, may cause diarrhea.

Most brands of antacids do not contain aluminum, they may contain dairy, sugar, or other sweeteners, and animal products. They may contain also traces of lead. The chewy antacids, even contain hydrogenated oils.

Antacids work to neutralize stomach acid when we want this stomach acid, because it is acid that helps us break down food. If we neutralize it… the food is going to give the digestive system trouble. Then you’ll be thinking you want more antacids.

Ulcers as said are another issue, not that you can't have more than one issue at a time..
Get the H pylori test .

Then again, most humans HAVE H pylori and don't know it, it just hasn't eaten its way through the stomach and made an ulcer.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2014 8:11:24 AM
I wish I lived in South Carolina, just so I could hang around and get you to take care of me.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2014 11:45:10 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^
I would be delighted in exchanging "needs".
:>)
 oldie_but_hottie
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2014 2:01:30 PM
Ulcers are caused by helicobacter, so get a test for that and if positive you will get an antiobiotic prescription.

As for reflux there can be many causes, but triggers are most often dietary, and can be reduced by avoiding acidic foods such as tomatoes, coffee, carbonated beverages, and very spicy foods; and a preference for more alkaline foods such as milk. I also find that Losec (OTC) or Nexium can help when Gaviscon fails.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >