Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ramcharger
Msg: 22
view profile
History
lyrics VS soundPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Words and Music Man,
Words AND Music
 flareon
Msg: 28
lyrics VS sound
Posted: 12/19/2004 10:52:50 PM
I think Blue Sky said it well.

For me, it is also the music. If I wanted meaningful words, I can open a book. I would rather listen to the song without its words rather than read the lyrics without the music. I find music so instinctively emotional, that I respond to it without effort. Listen to the Unfinished Symphony by Schubert with the eyes closed and appreciate it for its pure emotional delivery. No lyrics necessary.
 Nomenklatura
Msg: 31
lyrics VS sound
Posted: 11/5/2009 8:09:51 AM
Lyrics and sound sometimes coincide with one another; sometimes not.

Good example of where they coincide, and I'm not sure if there are any hard rock / metal people in this thread, but give it a try and go listen to "You're Going Down" by Sick Puppies.

Lyrics aren't always everything and are usually obscure as to what the meaning of the song, in which case, sound overshadows it quite a bit. Listen to Tool and you'll find out what I mean.

I believe it just depends on the song and/or artist.
 Vic32
Msg: 32
lyrics VS sound
Posted: 11/5/2009 5:43:47 PM
Just an instrumental can be moving and dictate how you feel, such as Johnny and Santo's "Sleep Walk." No doubt that song wouldn't be as memorable if it had lyrics sung on top of the music. However, a combination of lyrics and music gives a song the extra impact of how to feel...most times...but not always.
 E_keys
Msg: 34
lyrics VS sound
Posted: 11/5/2009 8:17:05 PM
I don't worry about lame recent music "ruining the kids". They know how to find good stuff, just look at their facebook pages! Some of those 16 year olds are gigging like crazy, too, and they don't sound like anybody but themselves.

I love it when lyrics look totally lame on the page and then some california dude with a guitar makes them sound so hip when he's wailing them out... I remember reading an interview with a Beatles recording engineer. He saw the sheet of paper that said "she loves you yeah yeah yeah / she loves you yeah yeah yeah / she loves you yeah yeah yeah yeah" and was like Oh please. Then they played it and he was dancing around the room.

Besides precious lyrics, lately, I am into what makes me DANCE. I found a web page full of brazilian samba tracks this summer. There was one track there, I wanted to inject it into my veins. I have no IDEA what they were saying.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 37
view profile
History
lyrics VS sound
Posted: 11/9/2009 5:37:42 PM

I love CW & bluegrass- ... This is real American music.

except where it's irish and african, of course.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >