Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Leofender64
Msg: 1766
The guitar player's threadPage 10 of 102    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
Well, I've been playing for almost 40 yrs. I have to say, my 1957( real, not re-issue) Les Paul Gold Top and my 59 Bassman, again, real, no pedals, just pure sweet tone. Also have a few nice old Martins, pre '70, when that moods stricks me. Played pro for many years but still worked a normal job. Now Im retired and do restorations of vintage elec guitars and amps so that I can feed my habit...lol. Always looking for another investment piece.
 Leofender64
Msg: 1771
The guitar player's thread
Posted: 8/10/2006 4:12:32 PM
Thanks, but I don't " fix", I restore, original parts only.
 Fire-dragon
Msg: 1786
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2006 7:22:59 PM
Hey everyone! Can't believe it took me this long to stumble on this thread.

I just wanted to throw in my two cents on the Floyd vs. Wilkinson debate: While I really love the overall feel and tone of the Wilkinson, I find it doesn't give me the confidence of a Floyd. When I reach for the Floyd, I know that it will come back to pitch (even if what I'm playing is way the hell off, lol), but with a strat bridge, I always have the reservation. I've found one way to get around this is to set the Wilkinson so it floats a little, that way, you can pull back on it slightly if you find it's gone sharp or flat and that will free it from the nut enough to come back to a semblance of tune.

The only major problems I have with a Floyd are a) the re-stringing process...I feel like I'm almost ready to collect my pension cheque by the time I finish changing strings, and b) if I'm trying to bend a note any more than a full step, the floating setup tends to even out the pitch. Aside from that, I have no major complaints, and I find it fits my style really well (I use the bar a lot...mostly for faux slide stuff).

Anyhow, just one more thing and then I'll shut up...Late's comment about Steinbergers...I know they're not for everybody, but I have to say I really like mine. The tone is a bit stifled and overly compressed, but I've never played anything that matches them for feel, and the re-stringing process is quick and neat. Now, if only I could find strings for the frickin' thing, lol.

Rock on,
Fire
 Fire-dragon
Msg: 1790
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2006 8:53:16 PM

Ahhh, lose the "clamp"?

I had an '80s SB fretless bass years ago, I could never get used to the "deadness", it did have a device so you could use standard instead of double ball strings, but this was a VERY early SB, they may have phased out the clamp to sell more strings (even other string makers "double-ball" strings were subject to licence fees to SB)

My SB doesn't have a clamp. I know they sell them separately, but they never seem to have them in stock for guitars (usually plenty for bass, though). I've thought about getting one because double-balls are like hen's teeth where I live.

I can't say I've noticed my guitar is "dead", but it's all wood, rather than composite, and the pickups are passives, so that may be a difference from what you were playing. It's one of the Spirit Gu-7 customs, which is more strat-like than broom-like, lol. I really do enjoy playing it, though the tone, as I said, is a bit pinched and doesn't have a lot of bass thump.

I think you're dead on about the licensing rights to strings, though. I've seen double balls produced by La Bella, D'Addario and a few others, but they're all under license.

Cool thing about a LH vintage style set-up on a RH strat is: you can actually do double stop whole tone modulations from minor to major, or major to minor, on the g/b, and b/e strings.

Sorry, bro, you kind of lost me there. Do you mean a lefty trem or a lefty neck? Neck-wise, I definitely prefer a lefty...they're more comfortable to tune, and if I break a B or E string on a righty guitar, I can usually still use it on the lefty neck. If Scrooge had been a guitarist, he would certainly approve of that, lol.
 Wickens
Msg: 1807
Posted: 8/30/2006 7:02:53 AM
I've played a couple Traynor amps. I'm more into the heavy ultra distorted tones so they didnt float my boat for that. But the one I tried was a 25/50 watt switchable amp.
The cleans were DREAMY.
Not to mention the slightly distorted tone, GREAT for blues. I was going to crank the amp and throw a tube screamer infront of it but I was late for work.
I tried the amp out with my Ibanez RG270DX with an EMG 81/85 set. If I had more time I would have tried it with a nice strat.
If you're into the lighter side of guitar, I say get one, you wont be disappointed!
 Witchypoo
Msg: 1846
THE GUITAR PLAYER'S THREAD
Posted: 9/25/2006 7:53:27 AM

Hey, I was just at the music store, and I noticed that the Mexican made "Fender Strat", is virually half if not more than the American made one..Does anyone know if there is a big quality difference between the two?...I fully realize that the price of labour is cheaper in Mexico. I was just wondering if the craftmanship is negligible.

Hey Ray:

I know you wrote this almost 2 years ago but..........

I have a mexican strat, I love the sound of it. My guitar God friend says it's got amazing tone. I have to agree with him. Who knows...... maybe I got lucky. I have yet to play an american strat, so I am kind of partial, but I honestly believe the craftsmanship is great for the Mexican strat. I am just girl though.

:))
Witchy
 wergund
Msg: 1847
Posted: 9/29/2006 6:21:47 PM
On an older kramer (Aluminum neck, u-shaped heads), can you wear out the ebonite fingerboard?
 JackBNimble
Msg: 1883
Posted: 11/2/2006 3:51:24 PM
Hi all .. new to the site .. 2 weeks now . I just discovered this thread .. niceeeeeeeeee. :))
Great job Guitarman , and everyone else who keeps it moving :) I've been playing bar bands now for 20 years .. my gear is now down to Fender SuperChamp (Mic'ed though PA. ) , Squire Strat refitted with Mexican neck . G&L ASAT open tuned for slide (doubles as back up for the Strat too . lol ) Boss DD3 , OD1 , and an old ME5 board for the Reverbs and Choruses . The guitars travel to local gigs in Soft cases ..easier to carry . I've been through the Gibson line ..but the damn things won't stay in tune . I can leave the Strat in the truck for 3 days .. sub zero weather .. bring it out ..let it regain room temp , and when I put it through the Tuner ..it's still on the mark !!! Now that's loww maintenance . lol The Champ just keeps working too .. it has fallen off curbs , down stairs , and been knocked over by drunks on stage ..lol I really like the idea of the blocked Floyd Rose ... nice to have the tuning right under the palm :)
My hint for becoming a rock star .... meet the right people . lol I haven't lol
keep those fingers moving all . : band :
 TUNG
Msg: 1885
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2006 5:25:02 AM
Hey Guitarman I couldent agree with you more about the Les Pauls tuners being lees than acceptable. I have a gold top that I fought with for a bit untill I freaked out and welded it lol j/k.
 JackBNimble
Msg: 1886
Posted: 11/3/2006 8:54:38 AM
Is it just the tuners ? or is it that one piece (thin )neck thing ? I had an SG as well ..same problems . Anyone out there looking to sell a Japanese Tele ? circa .. 80's ? The one with the two Hummers , and the single coil , and the whammy bar ? Good working guitar.
 TUNG
Msg: 1908
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2006 11:23:59 PM
I own a sans amp psa 1 and i use it mainly for recording> I've had this unit about 8 years now and I swear by it. I've never had a problem with it and I would highly recommend tech 21 products. Just my opinion but there you have it.
 JackBNimble
Msg: 1923
Posted: 11/17/2006 1:33:37 AM
hey Mr X ..I hear ya about the mexican strat necks ..lol Excellent ! I have one fitted onto my Squire .. love it too . Cheapest best necks on the market .
 Southern_Sam
Msg: 1962
Posted: 1/5/2007 3:55:03 AM
Well, just recently ive decided to learn how to play guitar but im having trouble decideing which guitar I should get since I know close to nothing about one. Im currently going to go to an instructor to try and teach me the chords and notes to atleast get me started. I listen to alot of Korn since its my favorite band. I want to learn to play mostly metal, alternative, and hard rock since thats basically my favorite genres of music. Im trying to figure out if I should start with an acoustic, an electric, or even try to learn bass. Im so confused as to which I need.
 JackBNimble
Msg: 2073
Posted: 2/17/2007 11:46:06 AM
I was just hunting around for a canadian Dealer for these Eppi amps ... no luck ! lol Looks like Yorkville sound has done some deal making with Gibson . I found 'em on musicians friend , but I hate ordering anything on line . ( Shipping, customs, duties etc.) Anyone know any music stores in Toronto carrying these Junior Heads ? Or .. anyone know of any Buffalo music stores carrying these things ?
 JackBNimble
Msg: 2077
Posted: 2/17/2007 1:49:08 PM
I saw the Nano's on the peavy site ..head only ... about $400 Cdn . Looks like a "rip" to me compared to the Epiphones. I'll call Steve's. thx
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 2142
Posted: 3/25/2007 1:52:12 PM
My setup as been basically the same since around 89.

Various Ibanez RG550's
BOSS ME5

Korg DT12 Tuner

Volume pedal

wireless

into either

84 Marshall JCM800 100W
212 cab

or

Marshall JMP 50W
410 cab

Happy with the sound. Just bought various guitars I think i have like 15 or 16. Was in cover bands for ages back in they day. Though I usually kept to 2 sounds. Dirty and Clean. But MY sounds. Our other guitarist was constantly tapdancing around his pedal board for each freakin song.

I'm like

clean

dirty

lets do it. :)

will have some vids from back in the day up soon!
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 2143
Posted: 3/25/2007 4:50:55 PM
hmnm tried to post a pic but its a pretty basic txt editor...

http://indyinghands.com/guitars.jpg
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 2145
Posted: 3/25/2007 8:13:20 PM
nice! I like how they play and they all feel pretty much the same. that way if I broke a string, I would just grab another. Usually 3 guitars at gigs. Main one, spare and one tuned to drop-D (you know floyds)

Again I was never one for botique guitars, these all played well, about 1mm string height at the 12th fret. Never worried if some dumbass threw a beerbottle at you, or if it fell off the stand.

:) tools, like a hammer for a carpenter. If I wanted art I would buy a painting :)

The ibanez's are 3 RG550's RG750 and an RG570 I believe I have a red RG 570 (HSS)
and I have a line on a black RG550 for cheap. The acoustic electrics are all Kramer Ferringtons. the tobacco sunburst is a ferrington 12 string, the doubleneck is a Kramer something or other. and a Gibson Reverse Firebird and a classical :)
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 2147
Posted: 3/25/2007 8:47:30 PM
I mean I dont go out of the way to abuse them but I'm not gonig to cry over a scratch. Gives them soul. Not sure if I'm down with the whole relic thing or not. I mean my pink ibanez is my main one and 20 years old and it doesnt look like a relic :)
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 2156
Posted: 4/2/2007 11:58:35 PM

I have a formerly pink Ibanez too
it was stripped down to the wood,it looks like a nuno bettencourt style now
with a maple neck

(changed my name)

how was the wood underneath. I have one I want to strip but I'm afraid the grain will be totally off or it will be glued together in a weird spot...
 ProgrockVentureman
Msg: 2170
Posted: 4/14/2007 9:16:48 AM
Anyone around here know if you can get that "sitar" sound on a RP-200A by (Digitech)?
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 2181
Posted: 4/27/2007 11:14:29 AM
Just finally grabbed my PA from the ex's place. Damn its nice to have my gear out of there!
 JackBNimble
Msg: 2206
Posted: 5/18/2007 1:03:01 PM
Ok gang ..need some feedback here on Rivera Amps ? Have been looking on line for a new working amp ... The SuperChamp is retiring to my living room . lol The Rivera I am interested in , is the Clubster 25 1 x 10 combo . I'm leaning towards this because it's " LITE " ... only 30 lbs ! I ain't getting any younger . lol Anyone have any experience with these amps ?
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >