Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Cheerful_Trousers
Msg: 2209
The guitar player's threadPage 11 of 102    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
Hey hey, I play a Epi Les Paul Custom with a Peavey Studio Pro 60 watt amp. I use a Digitech Effects Processor, and a Fender pedal tuner. I've been playing for four years now.

I have a question for the more experienced players out there. I can play pretty fast now but I havent had much experience with music theory, so when it comes to improvising solos I'm always not sure where the "right" notes are on the fretboard. Should I memorize some scales? If so how will that help me?
 Strange Days
Msg: 2210
view profile
History
The guitar player's thread
Posted: 5/20/2007 11:15:21 PM
Hey JackBNimble, check out the Fender Pro jr. All tube, about 20w but very loud. 1X10 speaker, line out, only a volume and a tone. EL84's, very un-Fender sound. It sounds WAY better than the crappy sounding (but well-selling) Deville/Deluxe series. That "Fat" switch should be relabeled: "Mud". Push this little wonder w/ a Big Muff or DS-1 for killer tone. Love mine.
 JackBNimble
Msg: 2212
Posted: 5/21/2007 8:15:34 AM
Hey Strange days ..thanks for the heads up on the Fender . I'll check it out . I haven't heard anything bad about the Riveras so far ... good sign ..lol Hey happy .. you can make "wrong" notes work for you ... just play'em with " authority" ... they can become your style and personna . Music is subjective ... who decides what's wrong and what's right ? lol Rock on !
 JackBNimble
Msg: 2216
Posted: 5/21/2007 9:29:03 PM
Hey Strangedays ( great Doors tune bye the way ) ... checked out the small Fender .. not quite what I'm looking for . I want 2 channels , footswitched , all tube . Reverb footswitched as well . Effects loop , line out , ext speaker out as well . The Rivera has most of the bells and whistles. I heard it ...it's great for my needs , but my concern is the reliability of the Riveras in general ?
I would like to find a good tremolo unit as well ... any good footpedals ? Not digital .
 mitch97
Msg: 2217
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2007 11:12:20 AM
Yo yo yo!!

Guitar player and tone freak here. I play a Gibson Lucille through a 1972 Fender Deluxe Reverb. Currently I'm looking for some great stomp boxes to compliment my setup. I want the best overdrive and delay if anybody wants to chime in. Thanks to those who already advised me in my Stomp Box thread.

I also own and abuse a Fender Strat plus with Lace Sensor pickups. Man those things are quiet.
 mitch97
Msg: 2220
view profile
History
THE GUITAR PLAYER'S THREAD
Posted: 5/24/2007 2:29:49 PM
guitarman100...

Thanks. Are there any multi-effect floor units that are worth a damn? I've heard nothing but bad, both word of mouth and my own experience.

HRWILD...sorry to hear that. Take good care of that equipment!
 JackBNimble
Msg: 2222
Posted: 5/25/2007 12:26:14 AM
Mitch ... if you are recording ... then a multi effect unit can work well , where you have time to "setup" the song . For gigging live .. doing covers .. separate pedals will be easier to work with . If you're doing original's and you have one particular sound ..then again ..you can tweak the multi effect to your sound. It's easier to carry around , and less wires too . lol
 jetblacksunrise
Msg: 2227
Posted: 5/26/2007 3:11:22 PM
I have a 30+ year old Univox Les Paul copy. It is more of a conversation piece than anything since I hardly ever play. I used to own an SG.
 Strange Days
Msg: 2228
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2007 8:04:00 PM
Zackk's "No More Tears" lead tone is a Boss SD-1 into Marshalls. Another secret: Like Slash's tone but don't wanna shell out the big amp for his sig. amp? Find a used Marshall Jubile head. Exactly the same circuit, different box.
 BlondMusician
Msg: 2232
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2007 9:23:29 PM
Hi all,

Been playing semi-to-pro for about 14 years... a few years beforehand learning, a few years off here and there in between. No interest in doing stuff pro anymore, the time investment/return just isn't worth it, but I'll always be playing.

Just recently coming off of one of those year off things... no gear, just picked up a model 6 Charvel, pre 1986 (has a kahler mounted instead of a floyd, but I've used floyds for years for the better tuning...) neck through w/active jackson pickups. One from the Good 'ol days of Charvel, very happy with it. Custom scalloping on the upper frets, custom finish (greenish see through, wasn't sure about this at first but it's growing on me). Important parts, it sounds amazing without even being plugged into an amp and the neck is awesome.

I had an old Yamaha RGZ321 I'd played for over 12 years beforehand, I miss it but this should do.. same scale length, don't have to look at it to play so it's comfortable right away.

No amp currently, missing my Korg Toneworks preamp (AX-1500 I think it was) although I know most dislike multieffects, this one was made of steel and really handled roadtrips/gigging well. My preferred sound is something between a Marshall and Mesa Boogie (old ones), but whatever amp I'm using needs a good clean tone as a base and lots of good eq control. I used Peavey's for years, excellent tough gigging amps, preferred ones with parametric mid controls though (still kick myself for letting go of my Stereo Chorus 400 2x12)
 gizmosellschickens
Msg: 2233
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2007 12:10:50 AM
My favorite all around guitar is telecaster because thier easy maintence, and like the twang sound of it, but my freinds rather me fondle a stratocaster at times, but the sound is not there for me. Another favorite guitars is a mid range Ibanez because I like fast necks on the guitar, yet I dont feel like on carrying a log like I do with a les paul type. Amps to me dont mean a differance much, and clean sound, or distortion all i used to play most times. Plus telecaster are very verstaible guitars to use, and stand the elements very well acutally from how many times I knocked my Mexi speical telecaster, but I want to get a American made telecaster someday. I was wealthy I collect guitars, like some men colllect old 19th century civil war gear.
 mitch97
Msg: 2234
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2007 12:54:21 AM
hey guys,

any experience with the voodoo labs sparkle drive? i played one today and it sounded pretty sweet. they say it's like a vintage 808, but they didn't have an 808 for me to a/b it with. opinions? i like the clean blend, true bypass and boost features too. from what i understand the ts808 reissue is not true bypass right?
 mitch97
Msg: 2238
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2007 2:13:12 AM
FYI...

i just got the full-drive 2 mosfet by fulltone. omg this thing has tone for days!! the boost feature is gnarly too.

sinister...ditch the digitech and get quality stomp boxes. from what i've found those multi-fx floor thingies are garbage. there's no dedicated circuitry for each effect. and forget about true bypass. when you turn off the effects you're still running your signal thru cheap components that are eating away at your tone. slash plugs straight into a marshall!
 Dead Earnest
Msg: 2258
view profile
History
The guitar player's [GEAR] thread
Posted: 8/16/2007 4:24:12 AM
I suffer badly from G.A.S., have 23 guitars, 8 Marshall heads, 7 4x12 cabinets, couple of JCM combos......and a Fender Twin, plus various rack stuff, odds and ends (It helps working in the industry!) I actually collect JCM Jubilee stuff, so if anyone has any to off-load.....I'm yer man!
 OU8one
Msg: 2266
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2007 6:48:35 PM
.... Any opinions on the Seymour Duncan SH5 Humbucker??...... I'm thinking of replacing the bridge pickup ( Gibson PAF) in my Les Paul... this might be the one I select.....I'm looking for something punchier, barks louder, longer sustain...but will still clean up reasonably well........ comments?
 OU8one
Msg: 2280
view profile
History
Guitar electronics
Posted: 10/23/2007 5:21:58 PM
...hey guitarman & others .... just got my SH 5 I was talking about earlier.... any comments on capacitors in the circuit ?.... currently I have 022's in there , Seymour Duncan recommends 047's, ....wondering what audible effect, if any will occur? I also plan on a push/pull volume to split the coils, just as an experiment, don';t know if I'll like the results but I'll give it a try ....
 BlondMusician
Msg: 2285
view profile
History
Guitar electronics
Posted: 11/15/2007 1:55:35 PM
Hey everyone!

I finally grabbed an amp, would like to get some input on this because I'm financing new through Moncton music, so I don't want to get the wrong thing. This time I want to have what I 'want' and not what I have $$ on hand to get. Investment so to speak.

Most my life I've played metal/hard rock/prog/instrumental stuff, usually high gain tone wise.

I grabbed a JSX 212 Peavey, 120-130 watt tube amp. Built like a solid brick and weighs in around 100lb! Amazing, but it's like 2,000+... secretly wondering if I should have tried a Peavey XXX or asked if they could get a MesaBoogie in (big fan of that type of tone). Influenced heavily by Satriani/Malmsteen/Vai for a long long time ('cept the Malmsteen, that's much newer in terms of influence) and I have to say I love how clear a tone this thing has, on the Ultra gain channel I only get it up to 6 or so before the noise/background hum becomes noticable... and it's about right for gain at that point I think... it has a built in noise gate but I really believe lower gain settings get the same effect without weirdness in sustain.

Opinions?
 Hozo
Msg: 2291
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2007 7:25:47 PM
Is it a Fender Tele, or a Squier Tele??

A friend bought a Squier Strat and brought it to my place for me to try out and compare to my real Fenders. I played my Fender Strat thru the amp and it sounded fine, and when I plugged his Squier in, it squealed at the same settings. Seems the Squiers utilise cheaper pickups which causes microphonic feedback.
 The Rain Song
Msg: 2294
Posted: 11/29/2007 8:59:33 PM
Holy smoke there's a lot of posts in this thread! No way I'm reading them all hah! Anyway, been playing for the last... 36 years. Worked in music stores the last... 32 years. Owned my own shop for a while, still wheel and deal on the used/vintage market. Still playing out some, most of the time with my Strat and LP and a Fender Vibrolux Reverb and a few old pedals.
 BlondMusician
Msg: 2296
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2007 10:35:16 PM
JSX has an effects loop.. yeah I'd heard about 6505's but I haven't had a chance to try one. Cool thing, the effects bypass works as a volume boost when nothing's in it(effects out/in separate volume knobs on the back to adjust), it's like suddenly I have 6 channels! I don't use the noise gate at all, I just keep the gain a certain level, which is plenty enough for me... the gain on the ultra channel seems to start at 4-5 where the crunch channel ends at 10, it's almost sick. Usually I go straight to 10, this is a treat for me. Excellent long spring reverb too but I don't turn it up full, I'm sparse on effects and prefer the least amount between my amp and guitar as possible, seems to null the tone too much and lose dynamics in between.

I'm playing a pre-1986 (can tell because of the Kahler on it) Charvel custom shop neckthrough with a couple active Jackson's on it, custom scalloped fretboard on the high end, sustain for days but the previous owner did a home job on the finish I'm planning on redoing. It's one of the needs-TLC cases.

Since posting I've really had some time to put into the EQ, I'm pretty happy with it but as with most new gear I'm still feeling it out. One thing I've really noticed is how quiet even high gain settings are at volume, I doubt I'll regret this.
 BlondMusician
Msg: 2297
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2007 11:49:08 AM
I'd say, make your own.

Pick a type you like the sound of... myself, I like dimished/suspended types. You can sit and take ones you already know and figure out the math of the intervals between notes that construct them, then pick a root note elsewhere and 'construct' it from there. Even better, pick a note somewhere you wouldn't usually start a chord from (say the first 2-3 lowest strings being normal... try the g string higher up) and make the fact the chord is in a 'weird' place work for you instead of against in that you'll end up with something most people don't use. Position doesn't just affect the fingering, it affects the tonality of the chord too. Throwing in open strings when you can can really punch up a chord too, but open strings tend to dominate fretted ones depending on how you mute and play so they're hard to find a set way to use them effectively.

If you're pushing your limits and your fingers get sore, you're probably headed in the right direction :)
 Marcel57
Msg: 2302
Posted: 12/21/2007 10:23:18 PM
Hey Guitarman How are you longtime no talk in here...lol...it's good to be back...
a friend of mine has a couple of those GARRISON i got to try them and yes they are a very nice guitar...
hey Guitarman is LATE still in here? hehehe ...
anywho I just wanted to say hi, I'll be back take care guitarman...
 Marcel57
Msg: 2304
Posted: 12/23/2007 12:03:44 PM
Hey guitar man how are you budd... I did'nt sell my '70 fender jazz bass yet, so ill wait till the new yr... but I did get myself a '65 fender deluxe reissue w/ a alnico spkr..the "blone" finish ...so far so good it sound awesome but i need some info @ the "bias" of the tubes bro... you always had good advice in the past so here i am again asking your opinion... do have a merry x-mas and a awesome 2008 budd...thx.Marcel.
 Criollo
Msg: 2308
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2007 8:37:30 PM
My gear:
2005ish Epiphone Studio DOT (335 copy?).
70s Bassman 50 w/overdrive circuit someone installed, constantly giving me issues. Looks like the transformer could be bad, or a simple cap. Haven't bothered to take it in since I don't have cabinet right now (was a Randall 4x12" celestion cab)
Ibanez Tube Screamer

Nothing fancy and nothing I'll be too upset over if it gets soaked in beer, dropped, smashed, or burned.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >