Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 good guitar player
Msg: 2435
view profile
History
The guitar player's [GEAR] threadPage 22 of 102    (8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48)
true but good gear just makes it so much better,
but then again the best delta blues slide tone I even had was from a 5.00 plywood no name guitar , that is an eception .
 good guitar player
Msg: 2436
view profile
History
The guitar player's [GEAR] thread
Posted: 8/29/2008 2:38:08 PM
My gear,
Amps
Marshall
77 4x12 with G12H 55 HZ.
mid 70's 4x12 Ri Green backs
8x10 cab from 1970
homemade cab made to fit a jmp head , 1x12
76 Jmp 2100 lead n bass combo 2x12
76 50watt head 6550
74 50watt head El34
73 50watt head El34
Fender
77 pro reverb
67 Bassman /2x12 cab
68 Showman cab
other
1950 Oahu tonemastervalco/supro
1964 Gibson Scout
50's bogen pa modded for guitar
leslie 825
Sunn Beata lead
Guitars
Gibson
02 !958 ri les paul
73 Lp Custom 3 piclup black beauty
1974 Les Paul Standard stock humbuckers
1962 Melody Maker
1997 EDS 1275 double neck
1991 Firebird
1960 Lgo acoustic
Fender
1979 Strat
1962 Strat
57 ri strat
1984 MIJ squire strat
1985 Mij squire tele ....these are nothing like the shit squires made today
parts tele with a hipshot b bender
odd n sodds
electric sitar
Wasburn J6 ...older archtop think USa or Japan made
71 Guild D35
LaPatrie Classical
70's Yahmaha Classical
Dobro Df 60
Johnson Metal body national copy with a new bridge n quarterman cone
1947 supro lap steel
late 19th century sitar
washburn mandolin
mandolin bowl back ca 1900

effects
70's thomas wah
space echo Re 201
echoplex Ep3
Fulltone Tube tape echo
Ts808...bought it as a teen in 81
TS9
phase 90
rat
Fulltone mini Deja vibe
Analog man Sun face nkt 275
Dunlop Fuzz face Ri ..Blue( great for gilmour tones, not just jimi dunlop did a nice job
Analogman Beano boost treble booster
 good guitar player
Msg: 2439
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:59:24 PM
if you still have the Green back G12M been running 2 with 2 of the H. the bottom and top end of the H mixes well with the midds of the M. My Cab of H's are great but they have a 100bd rating that makes them loud next to the M 97db, so I can crank my NMV head more with the M. Mixing gives me a bit of both
 good guitar player
Msg: 2441
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2008 3:58:42 PM
well for live, find the one that sounds the best ...experiment, Id suggest the GB since it is a bit overpowered in the mix.at 97db vs 100db,...but use you ears. studio :what tone are you seeking also a big fan of ambient miking so get the mix of both
 sydbarrettfan
Msg: 2444
The guitar player's thread
Posted: 9/17/2008 9:35:25 AM
i too have an Ibanez artcore AG75-semi hollowbody electric, a Cheap Epiphone acoustic electric, and my baby= a 1966 Guild T-100 slimline hollowbody-all original=and a fender hot rod deluxe amp- which i love but it is very hard for me to carry.
 cooldude
Msg: 2456
Posted: 4/1/2009 10:31:55 PM
Does anybody still post on this thread?...lol
 cooldude
Msg: 2459
Posted: 4/3/2009 9:51:01 PM
Originally, I thought a heard a rumor that once a page reach 100 you can't make anymore posts, but I guess its false.
So to get it started again:

Well, I'm a bass player so mostly that kind of equipment.

Amps:

Ampeg SVT-3Pro Red & Blue label
Ampeg SVT-410HLF classic cab
Fender Bassman 250 15"

Guitars:

Moses-Jackson 4 string bass (Moses carbon fiber neck/Jackson body)
Ibanez SR500 4 string bass

54 effect pedals
Boss, DOD, Akia, ROSS, Tech21
Guytone, Dunlop, Morley, Digitech
Mostly vintage, discontinued ones.

Some rack gear:
Dbx 166XL compressor
alesis 3630 compressor
Korg 1000 Rack tuner
Aphex 204
 cowhead001
Msg: 2461
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2009 7:34:10 PM
well.. the past few years... I have been playing an ibanez (the les paul rip off that they got sued for.. has great action, lighter than a les paul and has a 25db boost switch... it's taken a beating and keep chugging along), amp wise? I use a fader/pan pedal to switch between my johnson marquis 60 and a marshall 8100 valvestate. I use them both about equally.. you can just get some amazing tones with them. pedals? an old beat up mxr distortion pedal, a big muff, a jim dunlop wah pedal and that's about it.. the johnson has a whole array of digital effects so I have cut back on my pedal addiction. my other guitars... A rogue acc/electric (it's not that great... but it's a workhorse), an epiphone sg knockoff (sold my 67 sg for a big chunk of money) an old Japanese fender strat (it has two humbuckers and no pick guard... weird guitar...)and an olp maple quilted thing.. it has really good tone once I swapped the pickups out w/ duncans . that's about it... I have all the junk that one might expect... I gotta say though... behringer makes a 4x12 D.I. box that if you're running straight into the mixing board.. great product. (if you're interested garageband.com/slurry) although what I'm working on now is a bit different.
-Brandt
 funtimes in calgary
Msg: 2473
Posted: 5/6/2009 7:28:17 PM
Dean
simon & patrick
yamaha bass
fender bass
3 fenderamps
esprana 12- string
aria pro
fender squire
pf80 yamaha piano
pearl drumset
2 firepods
core 2 quad computer
about 20 mics
a little cheap classical guitar for playing flamenco(but it sounds great)
lost count of pedals and preamps
and about a tonne of other gear

good guitar player
Msg: 2475
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2009 7:13:04 PM
go to the stewmac web site the have all the supplies plus books et al to get you through the process. IN truth best to get a pro, but good luck and check their site
 late™
Msg: 2484
Keyboard amps and Rick-O-Sound
Posted: 3/23/2010 7:15:50 PM

The question is, should I think about getting a keyboard amp and also using it to bi-amp the Rick.

I wouldn't bother, while it may be neat to play with through a DI, ...I can't see any practical application for live "rick-o-sound".

Are keyboard amps ever tube-type?

This is where you can have fun, ...using guitar amps is great, ...make sure you don't use guitar speakers though, ...unless you have a lot of headroom (more speaker than you need).

And, I've heard you can blow a guitar amp with a bass guitar, and I'm wondering if the line level bottom end of the digital piano is also a bad idea for a guitar amp.

You won't blow the amp, ...but you may (well, ...probably), blow the speaker(s) if you push a lot of low transients (bass/piano).

If anyone knows stuff about amps for pianos

There are a lot of good keyboard amps, basically designed to cover a wider bandwidth and use a speaker designed to handle this. Most of them are mono-output (basically, to be used as monitors).

A bass amp will do in a pinch.

Stereo amplification is a waste of time (most of the time), ...you won't usually run stereo in smaller venues from FOH, ...and if you aren't going through the PA, your stereo mix probably wouldn't translate anyway. Think of it as a monitor, because that's all it really is.
 late™
Msg: 2485
Posted: 3/23/2010 8:06:27 PM
Oh! ...before I forget, ...it's a good idea to invest in a good DI for any instrument, Radial makes very good transparent DIs that use Jensen transformers. A few of them double as record-out lines for re-amping.
 late™
Msg: 2487
Posted: 3/23/2010 10:12:02 PM

Upgrading my passive DI someday might be nice.

Some of the Radials are passive, ...they just have awesome line transformers...
This one's great for keys:
http://www.radialeng.com/re-duplex.htm

This is the one I use for both bass and guitar:
http://www.radialeng.com/di-jdi.htm

The piano's stereo output splits the keyboard top and bottom somewhat, with low end coming out more to one channel and high to the other, so I really do need both channels playing out.

That's okay, ...even the mono (output) keyboard amps often have a "mixer" (2 0r more inputs) on the front-end, ...no need to drop a channel, ...but they do sum to the mono output.

In fact, if the sound guy panned them hard it would be stupid.

Never underestimate the power of a lousy FOH guy ha ha
 late™
Msg: 2488
Guitar Builds
Posted: 5/30/2010 11:34:40 AM
I'm bringing this over from the other thread,

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/7503045datingPostpage2.aspx

Maybe G-man will see this and have some suggestions...

I'm with you there... ta..
the measurement of the peg holes is a tight 10mm . 9.5 maybe... not the smaller holes...
so the tuners which I hope come in the post monday morning ,along with 2 bridges I bought to try, will fit ok without too much reaming or drilling.... and I can fit the neck.,.

new builds are always exciting.. assembling the parts....

I stripped my squire telecaster this arvo and put proper sized CTS 500 pots in and tried a few different caps.. it's got a budget range SD HB in the bridge only..
..a .33 cap russian paper and oil number made it muddy... eekk... so I pulled an old .22 cap from a valve tape deck Dad made in the '60's... to replace the stock .22 ceramic asian one... OK..

got the twang back... and the tone pot is very subtle now... keeps the tone all the way down...
that'll do for a while on that one until I rout out a spot in the body and pickguard for a good tele neck PU to do it justice... I thought the body might be pre routed for all combos when the pickguard came off..... but it was solid except for the bridge and control routs... damn!!... ...

With the Tele p'up, don't forget to put the "metal plate" under the p'up.

With caps, I just worry about the capacitance values, I've never bought into that "boutique" cap stuff, sure, for high voltage caps in a valve amp, quality electrolytics make a big difference, but in a passive guitar circuit, ...I always stick with ceramics, anything electrolytic or paper/oil will go bad quickly as there's no current to keep it "formed".
 late™
Msg: 2490
Guitar Builds
Posted: 5/31/2010 9:09:45 AM
the humbucker didn't like the .33 cap.... I have a .33 cap in a S/S regular tele set up and it didn't seem to have as big a difference changing from a .22 ..as it did on the bucker...
it's a learning curve.. tone adjustments..

VERY general "rule-of-thumb":

SINGLECOILS................
1Meg = ear-piercing, shrill
500k = bright, punchy
300k = clean, articulate
250k = normal FENDER

HUMBUCKERS................
1Meg = bright
500k = punchy
300k = normal GIBSON
250k = dull, constrained

You may want to try a 300k pot?

You should also try different 1/4 watt resistors (I'd try a 470k resistor across the outside legs on a push {switched} 500k pot). Probably the best way to do this is with a cap/resistor combination and literally "trial and error" it until you get it dialed in, ...trying to balance HBs and Tele p'ups can be a pain (unless you can do it pre-switch, ...not possible with a strat config). Using a push-pot switch might work for a "best of both worlds" solution.

Um, ...be sure to measure the pots/resistors first, ...they tend to vary A LOT. You might want to get at least 3 or 4 pots and a few different resistors, ...don't trust what it says on the package, use the meter if you want to be sure.

yeh, my tele bridge PU has a big base plate on it... though that guitar is in bits.. I'm milling 5+ mm off the top of the basswood? body.. hollowing it out in part ,thinline style.... and dropping a top of Aussie timber on the top.... Burdekin Plum or Qld maple,,even Blue gum maybe.. an old bloke around the road has a shed full of seasoned slabs of nice timbers...

F-HOLE!!!!!

On most guitars I tend to use the neck p'up most often (which is why I like the scale-length on Fenders, the neck pickup falls right into the perfect node to grab just the right bandwidth (I detest 24 fret, 24 3/4" scale necks, like some of the Godins, because the neck p'up SHOULD be right between the 23rd and 24th fret!). If I need to brighten things up I will switch to the middle pick up, ...but the bridge position tends to be too thin for me, unless I have something to kick up the output a bit, ...of course if I could get my hands on a Bardon Tele p'up....

I prefer the SSS config anyway, I guess I prefer the articulation inherent in single-coils, HBs tend to sound too muddy for me, especially when playing any chord more complex than a dominant 7th, unless I'm using an amp with tons of headroom. I also tend to use my volume and tone controls rather than the amp's (which is why I prefer lower-watt {<30w} amps so I can run the amp wide open and control the sweet-spot from the guitar).
 late™
Msg: 2492
Guitar Builds
Posted: 6/4/2010 10:04:14 AM

I found the tuners went into the predrilled holes a bit too easily... not a press fit I would have liked..... I might build the inner of the holes up with a dob of glue/dust mix or something to make a good solid fit before I screw the ferruls down and put the small screws in...

I wouldn't worry about this too much unless the ferrules are loose...

a vintage Fernandes neck

The Japanese DO make wonderful strat necks...

next step is drilling holes ...neck and trem anchors........

Do you have templates?
 late™
Msg: 2495
Guitar Builds
Posted: 6/5/2010 2:37:40 PM

I'm going to go with the tortoise shell SSS armed with the 50th ani strat PU's I got..... it looks good on the bare wood...... aged white knobs and PU covers...

I like it already, are these the Bill Lawrence designed p'ups?

lowell george style...

Hmm... he had a tele p'up in the bridge position, an LA2A compressor, ...and a Dumble amp! the last two will set you back ten figures, ha ha ha.
I watched my pirated copy of Little Feat, live in Essen Germany, '77 last night.
"I miss Lowell George more than I miss being 8 years old"
~ Bonnie Raitt
 late™
Msg: 2497
Guitar Builds
Posted: 6/13/2010 1:27:33 AM

My mate , my teacher, was just over... with his B bender aged Tele... gawd what a tone...
I'm learning rhythm blocks and he's noodling leads over the top.... on my very worthy '90 strat... posy4,,
times I just stop.. and think.. pharrk man that tele just sounds so good.. warm and rich... makes a damn good strat with me playing sound like it was from pharrkin china... grrrr....

Dude, one of my rules for testing an amp, ...never use a Tele.
 late™
Msg: 2502
Guitar Builds
Posted: 6/26/2010 5:11:29 PM

I also play through a small class A valve amp ..locally made.. champ copy with gain.... one 12AX7 and a 6L6GC... tweed covered head...

While it is a "single-ended" amp, it's not a true "class A", which makes for a great marketing label, but it isn't exactly accurate.

Low watt single ended, single tube with a one tube front-end, simple tone-stack and a decent alnico 12" speaker.

There is no better sweet spot to be had, no matter how many bells and whistles you add to an amp, they all have one thing in common, they suck tone out of the amp.

I'd love to build a single-ended KT-88 powered amp with a single 12AX7, ...no volume pot, no tone controls, just two inputs (high/low) and an on switch driving a vintage Altec 417 12".

Yeah.... that's a tear on my cheek.
 late™
Msg: 2504
Guitar Builds
Posted: 6/30/2010 7:40:00 AM
I love Tele's, I'm still kicking myself for not buying a beat-up ol' '60 Butterscotch (slab rosewood board) Tele back in '80, (I had bought an old '71 Ampeg VT 22 w/Altecs on layaway at the store, and the Tele showed up just as I was making the last payment)...it was only going for about $500, ...ah, where's that time machine when you need it. It wasn't so much beat up as it was really dirty, it had a few decades of dead-skin scuz on the fb, and maybe in need of a fret dress, ...other than that it was the "real deal", orig tweed case and everything, probably worth about $10,000+ today.

I have a love hate relationship with Teles though, ...they sound so good, it's almost not a challenge to play them, still never owned one.
 late™
Msg: 2506
Guitar Builds
Posted: 6/30/2010 6:37:41 PM
Yeah, you know your in a room full of veteran guitar players when a "missed opportunity" story gets told, and every single cat in the room gets a "far away" look in there eyes, ...then they shake their heads and say, "Let's not talk about this please."

But, oh man, the stuff I saw in the '70s that had $200 price tags on 'em.

It's tragic.
 late™
Msg: 2511
Guitar Builds
Posted: 11/18/2010 9:35:03 PM
Dude, you know me, I like a different guitar for every day of the week, but ...when it comes down to it, if it's a "desert island" choice, ...I'm a strat guy, ...vintage (or at least vintage spec {esp radius} style '59 - '62. I've owned one of each {no, I'm not talking reissues}) only though, I don't like the CBS style, and won't even call the '80s+ flat radius, fat fret, locking crap knock-offs a strat. Dude, ...just ewww, know whatta' mean?

But, teles?

Never use a tele to test an amp, they make shit sound even better than it is.

Oh, yeah, ...teles? ...no contour please, ...or it just doesn't feel like a tele.

Teles like strats aren't the kind of guitar that is an effortless dream to play on, ...they fight you, they make you play by their rules. That's where the magic is for them, ...not comfort, but challenge.

chrisrz1012
Msg: 2513
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2011 4:44:27 PM
Ah the music question:
Amps - I'm right now playing through 6 amps for my sounds ( 2 on all the time). Having owned and played through almost everything. I got 2 Peavey 5150's ( block and signature) and ValveKing( cleans only) on one side. The other side has 2 Marshall JPM's and a XXX for sounds.
Guitars: Charvel (model series ( 2-4) and San Dimas) Kramer American ( Pacers,Sustainers, and etc) Jackson DK series plus a Les Paul or 2 .
Effects: Eventide H-3000 , Digitech TSR series ( very good and underrated) & 256 xl ( great for a 5150),and a Japanese made Boss SD-1.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >