Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Does God answer prayer?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RDtoo
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?Page 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Heart of Ice, I am so glad that you brought up the idea of praying to an inanimate object to see if the results were the same as praying to God. It is an excellent illustration of why we cannot put our faith in answered prayer or unanswered prayer either. Unless it were something truly miraculous like the parting of the Red Sea, we have no idea if something was not going to go that way anyways. We can pray for someone to fall in love with us and they do. Perhaps they were already in love with us. We can never be sure, that is why we are called on to go in faith. Like many of us have said, prayer changes us, and that is the most important thing and something one would not understand unless they pursued it. Help mate brought up a book I mentioned earlier, "Prayer--does it make any difference?" by Phillip Yancey. It is an excellent beginning point for someone who wants to know how and what to pray for.
 RDtoo
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 7/21/2007 11:24:50 AM
And Can it be, I agree that the comments directed at you were snide. I also can see where this is difficult teaching to understand. Can you expand on it? Even if a person is a Christian, are you saying that whatever comes out of their mouth has been pre-ordained? If this is so, why does James 3 exhort us to tame our tongues? If you are a Christian and continually stumble, are you saying that God causes this? I am not attacking you. I just want to understand this thinking. It seems that the Bible has alot to say on what exactly is our responsibility. Surely we are not supposed to be helplessly resigned to whatever happens to us are we?
 E.Kyro
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 8/3/2007 4:07:58 PM
God has 3 answers to every prayer: "Yes", "no" and "if you insist".
Watch what you pray for, you may get it.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 29
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 8/3/2007 10:38:34 PM

"Does God answer prayer?"

Yes, God does. But God only answers the prayers of Godly people who ask for Godly things. Why would God answer the prayers of someone who serves Satan? Why would God answer a prayer that goes against His will?

And of course when a godly, compassionate person who did all the right things and was saved and truly loved God with all their heart still dies of a malignant tumour, despite all of their praying, we all nod our heads knowingly and say "it was their time."

Or when a young child gets a rare form of leukemia and is taken before their time, we say "It was God's will" to take them, despite our desperate prayers for their wellness.

Then again, perhaps the former person was a closet Satan worshipper. The child secretly listened to Marilyn Manson on the ipod that was given to him and his immortal soul was damned.

Shucks...all that wasted praying time. What were we thinking.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 30
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 8/4/2007 12:22:44 AM
Obviously the correct answer is for the devout Christian - according to your interpretation - is do not pray to ask for things, for God knows what you need better than you do. Receive his will, submit to it joyfully and meekly and everything will work out like it is supposed to...

Which really contradicts a "yes" answer to the question. An honest answer would be to say, "Not really, because God already knows what you need or don't need and already decided if you get it, so thank him for your life and move on."

Whee. And there was much rejoicing.
 Spence56
Msg: 31
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 8/4/2007 6:04:29 AM
This really is a simple question, but only for the faithful. God hears the prayers of his creations. He answers them. The question in my mind is, "are we listening for the answer". Man tends to pray with the anticipation that God will respond in the way we "want" Him to respond. Do we ignore the answer if it's not what we "want" to hear? Do we intentionally do things that prevent us from accepting the answer?

When we pray that our trespasses be forgiven, do we forgive others for trespassing against us first? In my mind, faith precedes the miracle. We must believe what we cannot prove if we really expect to begin to know God.

I believe that people suffer for a reason. If no one needed us then we would have no reason to do that which might bring solace and comfort to those that are suffering. I'm hesitant to blame God for the things we perceive as "bad" in the world. Man is fully qualified to mess up the world without blaming God for the things that happen. And some things just happen. It's not what happens that is important in life. It's how we respond to what happens that is important.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 32
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 8/4/2007 9:59:15 AM

God expects us to pray without ceasing. Much of our prayer is to be spent praising God rather than demanding that He give us this or that. And yes, there is much rejoicing in praising God for His many, many wonderful attributes such as His purity, His holiness, His justice, His mercy, His pity on a rebellious creation, His common grace in sending rain on the just and the unjust alike, etc.

I appreciate your answer And It Can Be, as it is cogent and describes fairly accurately the traditional view of prayer without taking any swipes at anyone else. It also put me in mind of the fact that of course the other primary reason for prayer is to be "mindful" of the Divine.

Prayer is the state of mind by which one engages in ritualized communication with the Divine. It takes many shapes and forms, but the primary thing about it is a reverent, and focussed state of mind where one is directing their being towards the Divine.
 lolalakes
Msg: 33
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/21/2007 1:14:03 PM
he does answer all prayers, no and wait and yes are all answers....I know he also helps those who help themself. Have you moved to the country ? are you looking for a man who lives in the country or wants to? children can be adopted. If that really is your hearts desire. getting a puppy is easy. Do you continue to pray for all these things? Do you read God's word after praying? What is he saying to you?
 RDtoo
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 1/13/2008 1:10:42 AM
If you did, the rest of us might be in big trouble.
 Spence56
Msg: 35
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 6/22/2008 7:52:37 PM
Most people that profess to have a spiritual aspect to their personality eventually ask this question. Life is full of turning points. And most of them are painful. The nice thing about 'believing' something is that in most human cultures you can believe just about anything you want.

There is no meaningful scientific data 'proving' that "God" answer's prayers. But that serves what might be the nature of faith. If we are to have "faith" in God, then we have to do so without "knowledge" of it. We often mix up knowledge and faith, they are two different things.

Personally, I don't believe it is possible to scientifically "prove" God. You can choose to believe or you can choose to not believe. But you cannot prove. That's why science and faith will always be at odds with each other, i.e. 'pride'. And it's probably not desirable to actually prove anyway. Whether you believe the creation was had on the back of a giant tortoise or the result of a "Big Bang". Whatever you choose to believe you have made a choice, not a proof.

I've often wondered if the world is pretty much on automatic. If God chooses to answer a prayer it must be for a reason. And if He chooses not to answer a prayer, then it is either for a reason or just because it doesn't matter. The reality in my mind is that what we choose to do is more important than what happens to us. And most of the things we pray for are directly related to what happens to us. Rich or poor, healthy or ill, whatever happens to us means less in the eternal scheme of things than our simple choices relative to what happens to us.

What we choose to do, think, believe and love is what makes up our character. What happens to us to test our resolve in life is the most important thing. Or that's what I think, anyway....
 rockondon
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 6/22/2008 8:04:31 PM
He does answer prayer.
Unfortunately, one of the first guys who prayed was havin a bad day and asked God not to answer prayers anymore. It was kind of a spiritual legal loophole but His hands were tied and we've been ignored ever since.
 janofc
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 6/23/2008 9:50:45 PM
I can only tell you what I told my son one night. My faith is a simple faith. I know what I know! I know God has answered prayers and given me peace when things didn't turn out the way that I wanted. My Dad is sick with cancer and his faith and humble spirit is amazing to me. He is ready to take what ever comes because he knows what the end result will be. I thank God that he gave me a Dad that makes it so easy to trust my heavenly father. Call it what you want but I have peace can you say the same
 susan_cd
Msg: 38
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/15/2010 11:28:00 PM
I'd say no, here's a link that looks at th eissue in length:

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/
 susan_cd
Msg: 39
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/16/2010 7:39:19 AM

Again a basic confusion in thinking what is "real" to us is also real to God

Could you clarify what you mean by this statement?
 scorpiomover
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/16/2010 12:04:14 PM

I looked at the site. It doesn't seem to address the REAL question:

Why did G-d make amputees in the first place? If G-d felt there was a good reason for amputees, that would be likely to explain why G-d wouldn't heal them.

But why did the authors of the site call it "whywontgodhealamputees.com"? Why didn't they call it "whydoesgodmakeamputees.com"?

Seems to me, that there is some things NOT being considered by this site.

Of course, it would be appropriate for those who believe this site is valid, to point this out to the authors. Wouldn't be right to claim they considered the matter at length, if they didn't even ask themselves if their assumptions are correct.
 susan_cd
Msg: 41
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/16/2010 1:38:57 PM

But why did the authors of the site call it "whywontgodhealamputees.com"? Why didn't they call it "whydoesgodmakeamputees.com"?

Since the site in question's purpose is to demonstrate & explain why prayers don't work, the site title & content is completely appropriate and there's no need for the site to explore "Why did G-d make amputees in the first place". That question isn't the site's purpose.

Others who feel that prayer DOES work are free to create their own sites demonstrating & explaining why it does.

Why did G-d make amputees in the first place?

The site addresses the question the site creators have asked, not questions they haven't asked. As such, the site asks, examines & explains what they have asked just fine.

But you can feel free to create a site ( or perhaps simply start a thread here) asking "Why did G-d make amputees in the first place".
 susan_cd
Msg: 42
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/16/2010 1:40:38 PM
And I'm still waiting for an answer to my query:

Again a basic confusion in thinking what is "real" to us is also real to God

Could you clarify what you mean by this statement?

Hopefully the answer will be something concise & not some ambiguous statement that doesn't answer the question.
 susan_cd
Msg: 43
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/16/2010 3:18:15 PM
Ok,think about it,I have read that it is estimated that one God "day" is 24/26 thousand yrs as ref by our time.

But since there is no proof that "god" exists, then calculating a "god day" is pointless.

My mother lost her leg at age 10.it wasn't God who did it

How the limb of the person was lost isn't the point, the point is that even tho the bible says prayers will be answered & can accomplish anything the fact of the matter is that unambiguous prayers ( that is, prayers asking for something that could only be answered by Divine intervention) are never answered.

and we already know enough about the body to know it's not going to grow back.

And the site doesn't say a limb will grow back. It says that the Bible's verses ( several of them, if anyone wants I'll quote them in a later post) make claims that prayers will be answered & can accomplish anything when in fact prayers ( unambiguous ones, that require Divine intervention) aren't answered & can't accomplish anything.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/16/2010 4:35:14 PM
RE Msg: 131 by susan_cd:

Since the site in question's purpose is to demonstrate & explain why prayers don't work, the site title & content is completely appropriate and there's no need for the site to explore "Why did G-d make amputees in the first place". That question isn't the site's purpose.
It is correct that this isn't the site's purpose. In more than one place on the site, the site's articles have stated the equivalent of "G-d doesn't exist". What's more, such statements describe theism as a superstition, which is the equivalent of saying "atheism is the ONLY TRUE BELIEF on the subject of theism/atheism/religions".

However, I cannot claim that presidents don't listen to their people, on the basis that the UK President doesn't listen to his/her people. If there is no President in a country, then that is the salient point, as a non-existent being cannot be expected to listen to his/her people.

Thus, the purpose of the site is to promote atheism as "the ONLY TRUE BELIEF", when it comes to theism/atheism/religions.

The subject matter is merely a pretext to move into that. It is a leading argument, designed to confuse people who are not so obstinate as some are, to think everything out, and to demand of themselves that everything they believe must be based on reason. As that is the status of most people, it is a site designed to lead people into a series of persuasions, who are not themselves equipped with the skills required to evaluate those arguments properly.

That makes it propaganda.

I'm sure that the site owners do not feel that way. They clearly hold the viewpoint that "atheism is the ONLY TRUE BELIEF on the subject of theism/atheism/religions", from what they've written. So from their POV, they are just "educating the public".

But a Xian fundamentalist would take exactly the same viewpoint about their perspective, and would thus feel that any site that uses equal amounts of propaganda, are just "educating the public".

I'm not against the viewpoint of atheism as a possible way of looking at things. I AM, however, against things that read like total propaganda, which are likely to be read and believed, by people who don't know better, and who don't practise reason-based reductionism enough to not be persuaded of falsities.

That way, you'd just get a whole group of people who are convinced of atheism blindly, and would happily end up causing a war with Xians, leading to many losses of lives, that was totally unnecessary.

After all, such deaths due to atheistic viewpoints have happened before.

Others who feel that prayer DOES work are free to create their own sites demonstrating & explaining why it does.
At this moment in time, I don't want to do that. I feel that there are other things that everyone can agree with, that could do with a site.

However, there are plenty of Xian fundamentalists who would look at that site, and feel they need to counter it with their own site. I've come across a few such sites already, after I found atheist sites on the net.

I feel sure that with the proliferation of such pro-atheist sites, that pro-Xian fundamentalist sites will spring up even more, and there are plenty who will happily be persuaded of them, and that will lead to further problems for atheists.

Why did G-d make amputees in the first place?
The site addresses the question the site creators have asked, not questions they haven't asked. As such, the site asks, examines & explains what they have asked just fine.
I already addressed this. I know WHY the site authors made the site the way they did. It's obviously full of leading arguments, for a different purpose.

But you can feel free to create a site ( or perhaps simply start a thread here) asking "Why did G-d make amputees in the first place".
I already addressed this as well. If I WAS to make a site, which I am thinking of doing, it's going to address issues that everyone can agree with, and that will help everyone, not just atheists, and not just theists.

I'm not a party-liner. I'm here to help all, including all humans, animals, plants, everyone and everything.

I know that you won't like what I've written. But then, I am not like feminists, or male chauvinists. I don't think that if "women ruled the world, they would make everything great". I don't think that if "men ruled the world, they would make everything great". In my opinion, intolerance breeds intolerance, and it doesn't matter who you are, what you believe, or how much you feel that you've been persecuted, or how much you feel you need to "protect" the world from the "evil" influence of those who don't agree with you.

I remember the old rule of history:

The oppressed make the worst oppressors.

If atheists are being oppressed, or just feel they are being oppressed, then this rule is likely to be the result if they get to control their countries, and that will not be good for anyone.

So I'd rather we have a multi-cultural society, in which everyone gets an equal representation.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/16/2010 4:43:14 PM
RE Msg: 134 by susan_cd:

Ok,think about it,I have read that it is estimated that one God "day" is 24/26 thousand yrs as ref by our time.
But since there is no proof that "god" exists, then calculating a "god day" is pointless.
Actually, it's very important. If there is no proof that G-d exists, then you cannot say that G-d does or doesn't exist. Calculating what a day would be to G-d, if G-d exists, will give you some very real clarity that will help you to better determine if G-d exists or not.

How the limb of the person was lost isn't the point, the point is that even tho the bible says prayers will be answered & can accomplish anything the fact of the matter is that unambiguous prayers ( that is, prayers asking for something that could only be answered by Divine intervention) are never answered.
Speak for yourself. I prayed for things, and I got them. They didn't happen in the way that I expected them. But then, why should things always be the way I want them to be? Things need to work the way that is best for me and for everyone else.

It says that the Bible's verses ( several of them, if anyone wants I'll quote them in a later post) make claims that prayers will be answered & can accomplish anything when in fact prayers ( unambiguous ones, that require Divine intervention) aren't answered & can't accomplish anything.
Just because something CAN happen, doesn't mean it WILL. You can survive a fall that is hundreds of feet, with only a few scratches and bruises. There are people who have. But lots of people don't.

Similarly, if you ask your teacher for an extension on an assignment, then he can give you an extension. Doesn't mean he will. Depends on the circumstance. He doesn't usually tell you WHY you didn't get an extension why either. Even if you ask your teacher why he didn't give you an extension, he doesn't always tell you.

Why do you expect your teacher to act rationally, but G-d to act irrationally, and just give everyone whatever they ask for, even if it's not good for them?
 susan_cd
Msg: 46
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/16/2010 5:20:29 PM

Calculating what a day would be to G-d, if G-d exists, will give you some very real clarity that will help you to better determine if G-d exists or not.

That statement makes no sense. With no evidence "god" exists, what would the calculations be based on? The person doing the calculations could insert any values he or she wants into the calculation, so the end result would ultimately be worthless. The old GI-GO acronym would be appropos.

I prayed for things, and I got them.

So you say. But anecdotal evidence isn't proof of anything. And what exactly were you praying for?

Just because something CAN happen, doesn't mean it WILL.

True.But the relevant verses in the Bible aren't vague, they state:

Matthew 7:7 Jesus says:

Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!

&

Matthew 17:20 Jesus reiterates that same message:

For truly, I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.

&

Matthew 21

I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.

&

Mark 11
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

&

John chapter 14, verses 12 through 14, Jesus tells all of us just how easy prayer can be:
"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son; if you ask anything in my name, I will do it.

&

Matthew 18:19 Jesus says it again:
Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Not "ask & you may get it, ask & you will get it ( particularly Matthew 21

I If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer. ).

So either the Bible is mistakne/lies or a faithful person can pray for whatever they want & they will get it.

but G-d to act irrationally, and just give everyone whatever they ask for, even if it's not good for them?

Maybe because the Bible says God will ? See my earlier quotes from the Bible. Those are unambiguous passages that make promises... OK then, let's see some evidnce of it.
 forumschick
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/16/2010 7:47:36 PM

I say yes, He doesn't answer when we want Him to, or how we want Him to, but then again He knows what we need better than we do....

susan_cd
Msg: 48
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/16/2010 8:09:09 PM

I say yes, He doesn't answer when we want Him to, or how we want Him to, but then again He knows what we need better than we do....

But the Bible doesn't say "ask & I may or may not answer, I will answer how I want to not how you want Me to, and if I think your needs are different than what you pray for then you won't get it".

The Bible is clear in what you can get through prayer, as I quoted in Msg 137.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/17/2010 3:24:50 AM
RE Msg: 137 by susan_cd:

Calculating what a day would be to G-d, if G-d exists, will give you some very real clarity that will help you to better determine if G-d exists or not.
That statement makes no sense. With no evidence "god" exists, what would the calculations be based on? The person doing the calculations could insert any values he or she wants into the calculation, so the end result would ultimately be worthless. The old GI-GO acronym would be appropos.
EXACTLY. GIGO. Garbage In => Garbage Out. If you don't have any clue over what you mean by G-d, then how can you even claim to have any clue over if G-d exists or not?

So if you have ANY way to determine if G-d might exist or not, you have to have a good idea over what you mean by G-d. But if you HAVE a clear idea over what you mean by G-d, then you CAN determine other things about such a being, including its sense of time, which would mean it would be anthropomorphic to claim that G-d's idea of time would be the same as ours.

I prayed for things, and I got them.
So you say.
So you are saying I lied, because I wrote something? Then how can you believe ANYTHING I write is not lies? So why do you even bother responding to my posts?

But anecdotal evidence isn't proof of anything.
Of course it is proof of something. Every scientific experiment is anecdotal evidence. If anecdotal evidence isn't proof of anything, then neither is anything in science

It's just not proof using a scientific methodology that requires something to be testable in a lab by scientists who don't believe in prayer in the first place.

Mind you, if prayer was proved scientifically, then doctors would all have to advocate prayer, and that would mean that doctors would also have to become priests or Rabbis or something like that. It wouldn't be feasible with the current infrastructure of medicine, even if prayer was acknowledged to work scientifically.

Anyway, reasoning things out, and from talking to others, prayer doesn't work in the way that scientists like things to work. It wouldn't conform to the controllable process that the scientific community likes to see things.

And what exactly were you praying for?
A significant improvement in my life. Most of my friends and family are astonished that my life has improved as much as it did.

Just because something CAN happen, doesn't mean it WILL.
True.But the relevant verses in the Bible aren't vague, they state:
I'm not a Xian. I'm a Jew. We only follow the OT.

Not "ask & you may get it, ask & you will get it ( particularly Matthew 21

If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer. ).

So either the Bible is mistakne/lies or a faithful person can pray for whatever they want & they will get it.
The Bible has to be tempered with reason. If one took everything literally, then the sentence "I will kill you" would count as attempted murder. It doesn't. It doesn't make sense that G-d would give you EVERYTHING you wanted. I know that many Westerners were raised to think of "daddy and mummy" like a person who will give you what they want, no matter what, and they have based their views on G-d on their experiences of their parents. But it's not rational to raise your children to give them everything. You end up with a spoiled child, who cannot understand the concept of "no". Then they produce pollutants that cause climate change, and then we have to deal with the fallout.

but G-d to act irrationally, and just give everyone whatever they ask for, even if it's not good for them?
Maybe because the Bible says God will ?
That's the sort of thing Biblical Literalists are accused of.

Either you agree that Biblical Literalists, like the ones who say that the Bible was made in 6 days, are right to do so, and in which case, they are right to reject science on the matter, or the aren't right to take things literally and just assume they are that way, in which case, your perspective is flawed either.

Did you go to a Xian school or something, and just assume that it was all true as a child, and never question if the way you learned the Bible was due to you taking a non-adult attitude to knowledge and understanding?

If so, it would explain a lot.

You weren't wrong to do so as a child, because you were a child. But now's the time to put away childish things, including childish ways of looking at things. If that means that you have to re-think everything you thought, that's one of the responsibilities that come with becoming an adult.
 susan_cd
Msg: 50
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/17/2010 1:47:03 PM

GIGO. Garbage In => Garbage Out. If you don't have any clue over what you mean by G-d, then how can you even claim to have any clue over if G-d exists or not?

I don't claim to have a clue whether God exists or not ( like I have no clue whether leprechauns or pixies exist or not), but if & when someone tells me leprechauns or pixies exist I'll say "show me the evidence". The same reasoning applies when someone tells me God exists, I'll say "show me the evidence".

It boils down to not believing in something for which no evidence exists. I won't be believing in leprechauns & pixies anytime soon ( as I trust you also don't) but the fact that a belief may be someone's faith ( the God of the Bible or 1 of the Hindu Gods for example) doesn't grant that belief a special status of not requiring evidence of it's existence, anymore than claiming leprechauns or pixies exist would.

But anecdotal evidence isn't proof of anything.

Of course it is proof of something. . If anecdotal evidence isn't proof of anything, then neither is anything in science

Apparently you don't understand how science works.

Every scientific experiment is anecdotal evidence

Until such time as it can be tested & demonstrated yes.

When a scientist makes a claim of something they've discovered ( like the cold fusion story a few years ago) then other scientists will go to the lab & attempt to duplicate the results. If the results can't be duplicated then the first scientists's claim is discarded as mistaken ( whether deliberately or through some error is irrelevant).

Thus the anecdotal evidence the first scientist has presented isn't accepted until such time as it is proven.

But this forum is discussing whether or not God answers prayers, so ket's stick to the topic shall we?

What evidence exists to show that God answers prayers, keeping in mind that if the prayer is for something that may have occured without the use of prayer then the evidence isn't proof.

And what exactly were you praying for?

A significant improvement in my life.

And again, that's anecdotal & subjective so isn't proof to anyone other than yourself.

So either the Bible is mistaken/lies or a faithful person can pray for whatever they want & they will get it.

The Bible has to be tempered with reason. If one took everything literally, then the sentence "I will kill you" would count as attempted murder.

The thread is about whether or not God answers prayers, it isn't about not about threatening to kill, or attempted murder, you should stick to the thread topic.... I suppose if someone were praying for God to kill someone then it would be on topic, and we could see if God answered the prayer... but it would have to be a death that left no doubt as to the cause to be considered proof God ansered the prayer.

Either you agree that Biblical Literalists, like the ones who say that the Bible was made in 6 days, are right to do so, and in which case, they are right to reject science on the matter, or the aren't right to take things literally and just assume they are that way, in which case, your perspective is flawed either.

If you are taking the Bible as the word of God, with the writers being given "divine inspiration" as they wrote then you can't take the Bible and start cherrypicking what parts you will choose to believe & what parts you won't.

In any case, the thread isn't about whether or not we should take the Bible literally, it is about "Does God answer prayer?". Please stick to the thread topic.

Did you go to a Xian school or something, and just assume that it was all true as a child, and never question if the way you learned the Bible was due to you taking a non-adult attitude to knowledge and understanding?

If so, it would explain a lot.

No, I took a very adult view & asked for concrete evidence. Perhaps you will try it sometime. To quote you, "If that means that you have to re-think everything you thought, that's one of the responsibilities that come with becoming an adult".

In any case, the thread isn't about how we should interpret the Bible, it is about "Does God answer prayer?". Please stick to the thread topic.

But now's the time to put away childish things, including childish ways of looking at things.

Such as believing in an almighty creator ( one whose existence can't be proven)? How is such a belief different than belief in leprechauns, pixies, etc?

I'd say praying to a being whose existence can't be proved seems pretty childish.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Does God answer prayer?