Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Does God answer prayer?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 56
Does God answer prayer?Page 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

I am sure if you asked your earthly parents for stuff all the time, they would sometimes say no. Why wouldn't god be any different?

The point is that casting a spell or not praying is just as effective as praying.
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 57
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 7/18/2007 3:51:02 AM

y would we ever learn ne thing- if all we had to do was ask to gt wat we wnt.- besides is'nt the question more important thn the answer?

Not when it involves third degree burns and children. HIV, or cancer.
 help mate
Msg: 58
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 7/18/2007 8:07:20 PM
Very Well Said......allamericangirl1964

I believe GOD does answer pray, cares for US beyond our comprehension, hears all of our cries to him, and Phillip Yancey's book, "Prayer does it make any difference" is great on this topic.
 RDtoo
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 7/18/2007 10:40:18 PM
Heart of Ice, I am so glad that you brought up the idea of praying to an inanimate object to see if the results were the same as praying to God. It is an excellent illustration of why we cannot put our faith in answered prayer or unanswered prayer either. Unless it were something truly miraculous like the parting of the Red Sea, we have no idea if something was not going to go that way anyways. We can pray for someone to fall in love with us and they do. Perhaps they were already in love with us. We can never be sure, that is why we are called on to go in faith. Like many of us have said, prayer changes us, and that is the most important thing and something one would not understand unless they pursued it. Help mate brought up a book I mentioned earlier, "Prayer--does it make any difference?" by Phillip Yancey. It is an excellent beginning point for someone who wants to know how and what to pray for.
 And Can It Be
Msg: 60
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 7/19/2007 7:03:00 PM
I believe that God has foreordained all things whatsoever comes to pass as it is stated in the Westminster Confession of Faith. I believe that God already knows what He is going to do before we ask in prayer, and He is the one who causes us to pray for specific things. There is not a word that we speak that He has not ordained. As it says in Proverbs, "The preparation of the heart belongs to man, but the words are from the Lord."

Do I believe that prayer changes God's mind? No, God has already ordained what He is going to do. It is God's will that we pray so that we may have the privilege of bringing our petitions to the throne of grace and interceding for others also.

I believe that God works all things out in the lives of His People according to His Holy Providence. This includes such events as finding a job, a mate, going to school, moving to another city, buying a house or a new car, etc. I believe God works things out providentially by opening up opportunities or hindering us so that opportunities do not work out and we are forced to change course in our lives.

God know the end from the beginning. This would include the things that we pray about. God does not have a Plan B.
 And Can It Be
Msg: 61
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 7/20/2007 8:12:07 AM
Not Done Living Together: No, I do not believe in free will. In theology, free will has to do with man's ability to believe the Gospel when it is presented to him. I am a Calvinist, and I believe that man is dead in sin and trespass as it says in Ephesians 2:1-5 and cannot believe unless and until God regenerates him (Ezekiel 36:26-27, John 3:1-10).

Yes, I believe that God has chosen from the foundation of the world who is saved and who is lost.

Free agency has to do with man's ability to make choices in this life and be accountable for them.

I don't know where you are getting this "pre-existence war of the angels where Satan wanted us to come to earth and live a predestined life and Jesus wanted us to live a life of free will." I have never seen that in the Bible. Man has no pre-existence. Satan had no say-so regarding man prior to man's creation. God certainly doesn't consult with Satan regarding His plans. God is sovereign and does whatsoever He wills. Satan is a creature; God is the Creator.

I think you may want to study theology and may be understand some of the great debates of the historic Christian Church before you post such nonsense.

Just because you were foreordained to write this doesn't mean it isn't wrong and isn't a sin. I suggest you evaluate what I am saying instead of being so snide. I don't have to respect stupid, nonsensical comments that are merely an attack on me and that make no contribution to the subject at hand.
 RDtoo
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 7/21/2007 11:24:50 AM
And Can it be, I agree that the comments directed at you were snide. I also can see where this is difficult teaching to understand. Can you expand on it? Even if a person is a Christian, are you saying that whatever comes out of their mouth has been pre-ordained? If this is so, why does James 3 exhort us to tame our tongues? If you are a Christian and continually stumble, are you saying that God causes this? I am not attacking you. I just want to understand this thinking. It seems that the Bible has alot to say on what exactly is our responsibility. Surely we are not supposed to be helplessly resigned to whatever happens to us are we?
 And Can It Be
Msg: 63
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 7/21/2007 12:27:00 PM
RDtoo: Your original question was whether our prayer changes God's mind. I said no it doesn't because God has foreordained all things whatsoever come to pass from the foundation of the world.

Some people take the doctrine of God's eternal decrees as an excuse to justify their own evil behavior. That is why I told the previous poster that I did not have to respect his comments that were merely an attack on me and that did not address the subject of "Does God answer prayer?"

Yes, I am saying in a very narrow sense that all of our words have been foreordained by God because He has foreordained all things. I believe He knows the end from the beginning. That means that He knows EVERYTHING that will ever happen. There is not one thing outside of His omniscience. He does not know things contingently. He knows them actually. He has control over everything in the universe. If there were one word that someone uttered that God didn't know in advance, it could change the course of history possibly. Then God would not be Sovereign over His Creation.

James tells us to tame our tongues because the tongue is an unruly fire. God is not responsible for the way we sin with our mouth in blaspheming God, gossiping about our about neighbors, bearing false witness, lying, etc. Those sins are entirely on our own heads. Just because God has ordained that we will do something doesn't make Him complicit in the guilt of the sin.

For example, God allowed Jesus to be crucified, but God was not guilty of murdering Jesus: "Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. This man was handed over to you by God's set purpose and foreknowledge, and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross" (Acts 2:22-23 NIV).

I am not saying that God is responsible for our sin. God cannot sin neither does He tempt any man to sin. As it says in the NT, we sin when we are drawn away after our own lusts.

What I am saying is that there is no such thing as luck, fate, or chance. There is only God's decrees, and God's Providence. God rules this world to such a degree that a sparrow does not hop upon the ground without it being God's foreordained will.

In the Old Testament, the casting of lots was an appeal to God. It was a religious ceremony. We may now consider it a "game of chance," but there is no such thing as chance. As it says in Proverbs, "The lot is cast into the lap, but the whole disposing is of the LORD" (Proverbs 16:33).

I hope this helps answer your question. God answers prayers that deal with every aspect of His Peoples' lives. There is no detail of the life of a Christian that is too insignificant for God's Fatherly care. I believe that God guides us through His Providence and that we don't need to agonize over the past because we couldn't have changed it anyway. We did what we did by God's guidance and direction. We are where we are meant to be. God puts His People in the best spot for them to be today--even if that spot is in the midst of trial and affliction.
 Stonestongue
Msg: 64
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 7/21/2007 12:47:12 PM
Ask yourself to do the things you would ask this god to do... If all is preordained right to our choices, then asking for a change is to go against this god is it not? This makes no sense to me at all... Praying for a god to help change something it has already settled is in direct opposition to its will... Unless your god has no free will either... You want change? Raise a little hell.
 malabu
Msg: 65
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 7/23/2007 7:17:39 AM
I believe that the Universe is God, apparently we where given freedom of choice,did we not?With in mind and the fact that" we reap what we sow/what you give out you get back" ten fold or a hundred fold. Guess what? If you believe your going to get your answer you will , and if you have a tendency to believe you allways get nothing , that is what you are sure to receive. You know why? Well you get exactly what you think you deserve.God answers every prayer.

Malabu
 SAMARITANA
Msg: 66
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 7/23/2007 5:57:22 PM
Thy will be done, we just have to keep believing, and never lose hope that what he has in store for us will be perfect. I truly believe in pray, constant, and steady.
Well sttd. SUM.

PEACE BE WITH YOU ALL.

E.Kyro
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 8/3/2007 4:07:58 PM
God has 3 answers to every prayer: "Yes", "no" and "if you insist".
Watch what you pray for, you may get it.
 SpiderCMB
Msg: 70
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 8/3/2007 9:08:06 PM
"Does God answer prayer?"

Yes, God does. But God only answers the prayers of Godly people who ask for Godly things. Why would God answer the prayers of someone who serves Satan? Why would God answer a prayer that goes against His will?
 themadfiddler
Msg: 71
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 8/3/2007 10:38:34 PM

"Does God answer prayer?"

Yes, God does. But God only answers the prayers of Godly people who ask for Godly things. Why would God answer the prayers of someone who serves Satan? Why would God answer a prayer that goes against His will?

And of course when a godly, compassionate person who did all the right things and was saved and truly loved God with all their heart still dies of a malignant tumour, despite all of their praying, we all nod our heads knowingly and say "it was their time."

Or when a young child gets a rare form of leukemia and is taken before their time, we say "It was God's will" to take them, despite our desperate prayers for their wellness.

Then again, perhaps the former person was a closet Satan worshipper. The child secretly listened to Marilyn Manson on the ipod that was given to him and his immortal soul was damned.

Shucks...all that wasted praying time. What were we thinking.
 SpiderCMB
Msg: 72
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 8/3/2007 11:00:32 PM

And of course when a godly, compassionate person who did all the right things and was saved and truly loved God with all their heart still dies of a malignant tumour, despite all of their praying, we all nod our heads knowingly and say "it was their time."

You must have missed this...

SpiderCMB said...
Why would God answer a prayer that goes against His will?

I'm sure you already have heard the answers to you next comment/question, so don't ask.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 73
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 8/4/2007 12:22:44 AM
Obviously the correct answer is for the devout Christian - according to your interpretation - is do not pray to ask for things, for God knows what you need better than you do. Receive his will, submit to it joyfully and meekly and everything will work out like it is supposed to...

Which really contradicts a "yes" answer to the question. An honest answer would be to say, "Not really, because God already knows what you need or don't need and already decided if you get it, so thank him for your life and move on."

Whee. And there was much rejoicing.
 And Can It Be
Msg: 74
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 8/4/2007 4:46:48 AM
Themadfiddler: The one thing you will note in the Bible is that God never explains himself to man. When Job demanded an interview with God so that he could question God about why he was suffering so horribly, God immediately took control of the situation and interrogated Job. God has the sovereign right to do as he pleases and no other explanation is necessary.

The one thing that the Bible teaches is that suffering is for the present time only for God's elect. It is limited. God teaches us to trust Him even when "we see through a glass darkly" as it says in the New Testament. The very nature of faith is to persevere despite unanswered questions.

God expects us to pray without ceasing. Much of our prayer is to be spent praising God rather than demanding that He give us this or that. And yes, there is much rejoicing in praising God for His many, many wonderful attributes such as His purity, His holiness, His justice, His mercy, His pity on a rebellious creation, His common grace in sending rain on the just and the unjust alike, etc.
 Spence56
Msg: 75
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 8/4/2007 6:04:29 AM
This really is a simple question, but only for the faithful. God hears the prayers of his creations. He answers them. The question in my mind is, "are we listening for the answer". Man tends to pray with the anticipation that God will respond in the way we "want" Him to respond. Do we ignore the answer if it's not what we "want" to hear? Do we intentionally do things that prevent us from accepting the answer?

When we pray that our trespasses be forgiven, do we forgive others for trespassing against us first? In my mind, faith precedes the miracle. We must believe what we cannot prove if we really expect to begin to know God.

I believe that people suffer for a reason. If no one needed us then we would have no reason to do that which might bring solace and comfort to those that are suffering. I'm hesitant to blame God for the things we perceive as "bad" in the world. Man is fully qualified to mess up the world without blaming God for the things that happen. And some things just happen. It's not what happens that is important in life. It's how we respond to what happens that is important.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 76
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 8/4/2007 9:59:15 AM

God expects us to pray without ceasing. Much of our prayer is to be spent praising God rather than demanding that He give us this or that. And yes, there is much rejoicing in praising God for His many, many wonderful attributes such as His purity, His holiness, His justice, His mercy, His pity on a rebellious creation, His common grace in sending rain on the just and the unjust alike, etc.

I appreciate your answer And It Can Be, as it is cogent and describes fairly accurately the traditional view of prayer without taking any swipes at anyone else. It also put me in mind of the fact that of course the other primary reason for prayer is to be "mindful" of the Divine.

Prayer is the state of mind by which one engages in ritualized communication with the Divine. It takes many shapes and forms, but the primary thing about it is a reverent, and focussed state of mind where one is directing their being towards the Divine.
 Stonestongue
Msg: 77
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 8/4/2007 10:01:17 AM

Prayer is the state of mind by which one engages in ritualized communication with the Divine. It takes many shapes and forms, but the primary thing about it is a reverent, and focussed state of mind where one is directing their being towards the Divine.

Put that way, prayer could be considered the same as meditation...
 bear45408
Msg: 78
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 8/4/2007 10:42:31 AM
I'm pleased for those who have been sick, prayed and been healed.

But practically everyone who is sick prays to be healed. Seems like a sensible thing to do. One has nothing to lose, and everything to gain. And unfortunately most of those people pass away.

Now I realize this is part of the plan. If we lived forever, there would be no room for newborns and new ideas, and all of that. The very fabric of life depends on death.

But it's not fair to pick out the ones who survive and say "My prayers were answered", and to say about those who didn't "That's God's Will."

I don't think that God it there to be a Celestial Servant. My prayers are mostly to thank Him for what He's already done, rather than always ask for more. I think He's already done a lot for us, and a lot of it is up to us to go forward.
 grin2cu
Msg: 80
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 8/6/2007 10:45:57 AM

I don't think that God it there to be a Celestial Servant.

Many of the responders have considered that God's answer to a prayer must be a change in His plans. But I think there's a more literal answer as well. Sometimes when I pray, it's kind of like talking to a friend. And very, very rarely, I seem to hear an answer. No, no, don't put me away quite yet. I'm aware it could be just in my own mind. After all, how else is He going to communicate? But whether it's Him, Her or me, here's the story:

I was curious about the afterlife, and so I asked God if there was one. And I got an answer: "If I wanted you to know, I'd have told you." I took this as kind of a "Trust Me, don't worry about it" statement. Pay attention to what you're doing in this life. I found it to be a great comfort.

Take it for what it's worth. I hope that you too will pay attention to this life.
 lolalakes
Msg: 83
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/21/2007 1:14:03 PM
he does answer all prayers, no and wait and yes are all answers....I know he also helps those who help themself. Have you moved to the country ? are you looking for a man who lives in the country or wants to? children can be adopted. If that really is your hearts desire. getting a puppy is easy. Do you continue to pray for all these things? Do you read God's word after praying? What is he saying to you?
 And Can It Be
Msg: 84
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/24/2007 6:15:32 PM
Artz: A friend of mine told me that he was tricked into going to an Amway presentation thinking it was something to do with a job lead. The couple who presented the "seminar" went on and on about how much money they make and how my friend could achieve "financial freedom" by signing up for this multi-level marketing plan.

They even told him they were Christians and prayed about buying a $40,000 Cadillac. They wanted it, they could afford it, so they "prayed about it" supposedly seeking God's will. Lo and behold, it turned out that it WAS God's will that they go down to the dealership the next day and buy the Cadillac for cash!

Is that an answered prayer? Not in my book. That is people following the desires of their own hearts and mistaking it for an answered prayer. It is also pure selfishness. Did they need the Cadillac? Not from why they told my friend. They bragged that they both drove a Lexus already so the Cadillac was not to replace a car. It was just to fill up the garage with more toys.

One thing that angers me is the "health and wealth gospel" that is so popular these days. So many of the really large churches teach a prosperity gospel. "God wants you to enjoy abundant living now" is their message. They have jettisoned the old Gospel message of sin and personal salvation through Jesus Christ in favor of "have-it-all now" approach. Never be sick again! Never be poor again!

These congregations are growing like weeds; but as one pastor admitted, they are a mile wide and an inch deep. My congeregation, on the other hand, may be a foot wide but is about 200 feet deep. It is filled with very committed people who are not there because of promises of health and wealth.

I think the prosperity gospel is uniquely American because America worships money and success. Of course, people have always believed that prosperity was a sign of God's favor. This is not so as the 11th chapter of Hebrews shows.
 Forums Browser
Msg: 85
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 10/24/2007 7:17:15 PM

Does God answer prayer?

My answer to this question would be "Ask an amputee".
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Does God answer prayer?