Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Does God answer prayer?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 76
Does God answer prayer?Page 4 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.

God invented (or created) evil, for his own purpose. Thus why would God prevent something that God allowed to exist. If it exists then there is a reason for it.

Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.

you cannot know good without knowing that which is evil. Evil is needed as a point of reference to highlight that which is good (or not evil).

it / he / she can not answer prayers any better than the Easter Bunny can.

In order to have prayers "answered" (which doesn't necessarily mean that what is itself prayed for will be granted); you already have to have faith and be spiritually connected to the "spirit being"; and NOT the other way around! Such individuals have had prayers "answered" and pple around them (usually unbelievers) won't even know that anything has transpired. God will not show a non-believer what he/she does not believe to be possible.
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 77
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 1/16/2012 6:47:32 PM
When I was a kid, I was told god answers…
1. Yes
2. No, or
3.Wait.

To which I add…
4. Maybe, and
5. I Don’t Know.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 78
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 1/17/2012 10:01:59 PM

Or maybe God screwed up & didn't mean to create evil, according to the Bible God has screwed up & done things He regrets. Here's 1 example:

I'm not talking about an Anthropomorphized version of God (with human attributes). I'm talking about a "cosmic creator' who exists in a timeless realm, whose persona cannot be understood by the human mind.

Easier to leave the evil out & live with the not know that what we are experiencing should be called good.

This is non-sensical, because to know something ALWAYS involves experience; thus you cannot know what you cannot experience. If you cannot ever experience evil, how can you make a determination on what constitutes the good(opposite of evil) and where its boundaries are. Most (if not all) lower animals do not have the ability to be good or evil; as they act solely upon instinct. An animal that 'obeys' (such as a dog) does it only because of its instinctive nature where it recognizes its position within a pack. Not because it knows what is supposed to be "good' or "bad".

Apparently He also won't show believers what they do believe to be possible. Or there are a lot of believers (in an all powerful God) that are in wheelchairs or blind or missing limbs and never think to pray to be healed.

There is a huge difference between "praying' and being "connected" to the spirit being; You can get connected thru praying (perhaps); but that won't always be the case. There will always be countless pple who've claimed to have prayed and witnessed but have had no change in their condition. But in order to be "healed" (receive a transformation); one has to be in unison with the spirit being such that there is NO DISTINCTION between that individual and God himself. Then and only then will something take place. But this will involve the capacity to reach a highly enlightened state! Yes, you will get lots of pple who have prayed without any apparent answer; but those who have obtained a transformation will never be counted; thus you will never get a side-by-side comparison of (a). those who received healing and (b). those who didn't
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 79
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 1/18/2012 7:42:59 PM

So in other words, you're using your own definition of what "god"

And just whose definition should I be using? Do you seriously feel that some Religion(s) actually has a "patented" understanding of what God is really like? My definition is as good as any, and perhaps more on target as I don't infuse human qualities onto the creator.

that definition is, basically, "god" can't be defined or understood.

If you could define him then he clearly wouldn't be God; but rather just some material entity that could be exposed by human deduction.

If I had known we could use our own definitions of words in the discussions, I would have told you that God is a word meaning "the grilled cheese sandwich I made for lunch"

To which I would have told you that your grilled cheese sandwich wouldn't qualify because it is an earthly substance!

If there is no evil, you wouldn't need to "make a determination on what constitutes the good(opposite of evil) and where its boundaries are".

And therefore the concept of "good" would then not exist! But that isn't how reality is like; whether or not there is a God!

If there were no evil, we of course wouldn't apply the name good to what we were experiencing, but so what?

Well, they say that ignorance is bliss; then to answer your "so what" statement; then we would all be in a state of blissful ignorance concerning this concept; But if one is to believe in God, then I just think it would be incongruous for him to keep us in blissful ignorance anymore than it would be incongruous for a (normal) parent to keep a child in perpetual Blissful infancy

So along with your definition of god ( god can't be defined or understood) you use your own vague definition of what prayer is.

and whose definition are you using, and what makes you so sure that theirs is right and mine is wrong? Prayer is not somebody rattling off some recital over and over and getting on their knees or crying and making a wish list. God already knows WTF you are going to say well before you can open your mouth or get your brain thinking. Its like you telling me a joke that I've already heard over and over and expecting me to laugh at the punch line each time. The object of prayer is to enter into a state of enlightenment such that you will be encompassed by the so-called spirit; and thereby be 'connected' to the creator as one! How you do that is for you to discover, as what might work for me, may not work for you.

Just as an example; it was said that a few days before the Battle of Little Big horn (gen'l Custer's last stand!); chief crazy Horse did a ceremonial dance that lasted about 24 hrs non stop; normally it wouldn't go for more than a few hours. But during this "dance' he had supposedly entered into a realm where the great spirit lay; and was told that he would be victorious and not to worry, as the 'spirit' would be with him; the rest is History! But this may be just one of the multifaceted forms of prayer and what it can lead to!

No evidence has ever been presented for a prayer for anything that may have happened without prayer being answered.

the effects(or lack of) of prayer aren't subject to empirical analysis.

Now a miracle is the face of Jesus appearing on toast,

How would you know that its really the image of Jesus, that you'd be looking at?

a plane crash that kills a couple hundred people but a couple people survive it.

What if the survivors happen to be evil pple; such as drug dealers, child-molesters, or politicians. Would you still consider it to be a miracle?

JP1111
Msg: 80
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 2/1/2012 12:39:50 PM
If you ask me, God will answer prayers just as much as Santa Clause will bring the presents you wanted and hoped to get.
 kailania
Msg: 81
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 2/6/2012 8:22:24 PM
^^^^funny JP

when your prayer is answered..how do you know it was God who answered it?
does God change the circumstances around so that your prayer is answered?
or does he change them for another reason...but through that your desired prayer is answered?
I believe in God. But I have no answers on how He does things.
why do some people think they Know for sure the answers?
because their organized religion tells them to read the Bible a certain way with a certain understanding.
dont those people realize that other religions are reading the same Bible but coming up with a different view point?
who is to say they are the only right one?
who has seen God?
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 82
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 3/5/2012 9:49:07 PM
It depends.
Do you answer God's prayers?
It's a two way street you know.
 kailania
Msg: 83
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 3/5/2012 11:38:55 PM
How do we answer Gods prayers?
who is God praying to?
maybe the angels are getting in gear. lol
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 84
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 3/8/2012 7:52:58 PM
Kailania

God Prays you will live a good life
but without doing so at the expense of others.

Hard to do.

but if you do...
he prays you will share your life with others
to enrich their lives and guide them.

If we all can answer that prayer...
all of us will benefit and find joy.
(and we will quit whining to God so much)
 ro1970
Msg: 85
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 3/9/2012 4:32:23 AM
Yes....God Answers your prayers......He has 3 answers:

Yes
No
Later

......and it always seems the answers I personally receive are no.
 balrog67
Msg: 86
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 4/11/2012 10:57:20 AM
The answer of course is Yes and No.

The Christian God does NOT answer the prayers of the 5000 some odd children who die of cancer every single day.

He has NEVER answered the prayers of any children or their loved ones who have prayed to have a severed limb restored.

He DOES however answer the prayers of people like Talulah in Bogalusa who prayed to win $50 on her scratch off ticket.....

Go figger.
;-)
 lagoda
Msg: 87
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 4/14/2012 2:37:43 PM

The answer of course is Yes and No.

The Christian God does NOT answer the prayers of the 5000 some odd children who die of cancer every single day.

He has NEVER answered the prayers of any children or their loved ones who have prayed to have a severed limb restored.

He DOES however answer the prayers of people like Talulah in Bogalusa who prayed to win $50 on her scratch off ticket.....

Go figger.
;-)

I have another perspective. But it means a personal anecdote that will probably result in accusations of "delusion" and "irrationality" from the more stable minded who will be compelled to tell me that coincidence is the only reasonable explanation for my experience. Oh well we can't all be smart and sane.

I was raising my child as a single parent and down on my luck to the point of having no laundry soap to wash clothes. I'll spare you the emotion of a desperate mother. The first day I prayed (for soap only, because my cupboards at that time had sufficient food). Nothing. The second day I prayed. Nothing. The third day I prayed. (no there's no allusion to the significance of a triumvirate here). Anyway on the third day I said "Lord, by now we stinketh". Later that day, there came a knock at the door. It was a salesman who literally held out a box of tide in front of my face. Although he was merely a young vacuum cleaner salesman wanting to do a demonstration, and this was his gimmick, I was so delighted that I let him in to clean my living room carpet even though I'd just vacuumed that morning. After all, he was probably making at least a token amount for just the demo. I think god may have been pleased with all of this.
 _shakti_
Msg: 88
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 4/14/2012 2:55:41 PM
"Trust in Allah but tether your camel first"

"This saying comes from a small story. A master was traveling with one of his disciples. The disciple was in charge of taking care of the camel. They came in the night, tired, to a caravanserai. It was the disciple's duty to tether the camel; he didn't bother about it, he left the camel outside. Instead of that he simply prayed. He said to God, "Take care of the camel," and fell asleep.

In the morning the camel was gone--stolen or moved away, or whatsoever happened. The master asked, "What happened to the camel? Where is the camel?" And the disciple said, "I don't know. You ask God, because I had told Allah to take care of the camel, and I was too tired, so I don't know. And I am not responsible either, because I had told Him, and very clearly! There was no missing the point. Not only once in fact, I told Him thrice. And you go on teaching 'Trust Allah,' so I trusted. Now don't look at me with anger."

The master said, "Trust in Allah but tether your camel first--because Allah has no other hands than yours." If He wants to tether the camel He will have to use somebody's hands; He has no other hands. And it is your camel! The best way and the easiest and the shortest way is to use your hands. Trust Allah--don't trust only your hands, otherwise you will become tense. Tether the camel and then trust Allah."

You will ask, "Then why trust Allah if you are tethering the camel?"--because a tethered camel can also be stolen. You do whatsoever you can do: that does not make the result certain, there is no guarantee. So you do whatsoever you can, and then whatsoever happens, accept it.

This is the meaning of tether the camel: do whatever is possible for you to do, don't shirk your responsibility, and then if nothing happens or something goes wrong, trust Allah. Then He knows best. Then maybe it is right for us to travel without the camel. It is very easy to trust Allah and be lazy. It is very easy not to trust Allah and be a doer. The third type of man is difficult--to trust Allah and yet remain a doer. But now you are only instrumental; God is the real doer, you are just instruments in His hands."

Yule_liquor
Msg: 89
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 4/14/2012 3:58:17 PM
@Iagoda

I think god may have been pleased with all of this.

It was not a coincidence at all; because he made you pray for 3 days to make sure you realized it wasn't just coincidence. It was God's way of HIGHLIGHTING the response to your prayer. Hope you picked up on it!
 lagoda
Msg: 90
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 4/14/2012 5:39:28 PM

I think god may have been pleased with all of this.

It was not a coincidence at all; because he made you pray for 3 days to make sure you realized it wasn't just coincidence. It was God's way of HIGHLIGHTING the response to your prayer. Hope you picked up on it!

Yule, I think I know where you're coming from but god didn't make me do anything and I didn't need to have anything highlighted. I remember this incident as clearly as if it had happened yesterday because it was by no means subtle. My child's well being was affected, so it is very significant to me. I've had my faith for as long as I can remember. I would have had it with or without any religious training because this incident was just one of many like it that long ago ceased to be "lessons" to convince me that there is a force that will sometimes interact with us. I don't know how it works, when, why or anything like that because that is all speculation. It remains for me as an example of a need having been met through prayer. Perhaps the prayer was answered because (during that period in my life I was working long hours for little money, without anyone's help), and after having done all I could do, the desperation added some element that came into play, that wouldn't have otherwise. Because I don't know what really isn't knowable, I don't want to define it as any more than that. I will continue to remain positive about prayer, despite the fact that some faithful people are known to have prayed for decades for a specific with the same expectation, without ever getting a positive answer. In conclusion I'll say that having faith is enough for me.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 91
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 4/15/2012 9:15:45 PM
^

So if someone has terminal cancer, or a severed spinal cord, or an amputated limb, they just need to make sure they pray for 3 consecutive days & they'll be healed?

You don't understand; the time period here was merely symbolic; it could be 3 minutes, 3 days; 3 months, or 3 years. If "god" had answered the prayer before the person praying wasn't ready to receive it in the form that it was, then it might not have had the kind of impact it did on the person praying it!

Obtaining healing involves entering into a whole other (supernatural) dimension; which cannot be perceived or quantified physically. The actual healing that takes place (whether a cancer cure; or amputated limb re-growing) is not something that is shared with or made known to the rest of the "non believing" world through the media. God won't heal someone to just recruit believers or to show-case his power by flexing his supernatural muscles. "God' responds only to those expressing true faith in him.

Many times, "god' does not heal an individual praying the way it is hoped for, because he/she may be wanting it for the wrong reason, at the wrong time; or perhaps granting it fully may not be for the best interest of that person, as "god" may have other plans in mind for that individual beyond restoration. ( A motorcycle rider who was in a biker gang that became a paraplegic after an accident, is NOT going to get healing from "god" by praying for it just so he can get back on his bike and join his gang again).

It doesn't make one bit of difference to "god" if you believe in him or not, because it would be YOUR loss if you didn't! If healing of this kind does take place, it will NOT be done for nothing; there will likely be something ordained for that person(healed) to do that he/she could not have otherwise been able to do without being healed. The point is that "God" will want your full attention, and will make you an offer that "you CAN'T refuse" ; so be careful what you pray for; there is a chance you might just get it(and then some!).
 _shakti_
Msg: 92
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 4/16/2012 7:49:45 AM
I find it amazing that people can act as though they are an authority on the subject, as though they are 'in the mind of God' and can speak for 'him', lol...
 lagoda
Msg: 93
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 4/16/2012 8:01:01 AM
I just posted this quote in the Science/Philosophy thread and it's worth repeating here.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.

Albert Einstein
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 94
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 4/16/2012 8:41:43 AM

I find it amazing that people can act as though they are an authority on the subject,

What is authoritative is what is written in the scriptures for anyone to read. If you ever bothered to read it; you'd probably understand why I said what I said. Whether or not you choose to accept such scripture is entirely up to you, but you'd first have to read it and understand it!

The title of this thread is: "Does God answer prayer". My view is on it that "god' can answer, dismiss, or postpone someones prayer for whatever reason, whether its obvious to us or not! If you rather hear or accept the reasoning of some (credentialed) authority figure on this matter then go right ahead; they are quite a few out there, just take your pick!
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 95
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 4/16/2012 8:24:55 PM

Right......
You forgot to mention God also won't answer any prayers for anything that needs His intervention to be granted

How do you know God hasn't done so? Do you honestly think that restoring an amputee or curing a paraplegic is something that God will allow to be aired out publicly, and thus turn these pple's lives into a 3 ring circus! And even if he did do it publicly; do you really think that it would be objective enough proof to convince the unbelievers? secondly, what use would God have for believers whose only basis for their belief is objectivity. That would be akin to some Gold-digger marrying you for your money, and constantly expecting you to dole out money upon request!

According to His Son, a person just needs a small amount of faith ( "if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you") to have their prayer answered. If only a small amount of prayer is needed to be able to move a mountain by praying for that to happen

the parable of the mustard seed is about overcoming life's hardships (the mountainous obstacles). It says that a believer needs to have a modicum of faith in order to overcome such obstacles. That is all it is intended to bring across. An amputee has access to the same grace that someone able bodied does and can overcome with the same amount of faith, without necesarily requiring that his lost limb need be restored in the process.

it's strange that no amount of prayer will restore someone's amputated limb.

If someone ever did; it would not ever be made apparent for reasons stated. So in your world, it isn't something that can even happen

Surely the Pope has enough faith

he does? what makes you so sure?
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 96
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 4/16/2012 10:45:11 PM

If someone is claiming prayer works, the onus is on them to prove their claim.

the actual claim is that prayer supposedly works for those who already believe or have faith. There is no "onus"(that I know of) on the part of christians that says that they obliged to demonstrate it to anyone upon request. The onus is on the believer to find out for himself.

because He cares about them too much to have them subjected to publicity.

that isn't what i said; go back and read well. I said that if Gd effects a "cure' for said pple; he would not allow it to become common knowledge, thus it will not be apparent. This can only be done supernaturally; thus non-believers can never know whether it is has been done or not, for reasons already stated.

Matthew 21:21 I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.

So then according to your logic; if you pray to have sex with your neighbor's wife; it should be granted to you as long as you pray for it in Jesus name? right!
firstly; you have a hard time discerning that which is metaphorical and what isn't. Secondly, these passages that you quote apply only to those enlightened enough to put his directives into practice. None of his closest apostles were able to do so while JC was alive.

What other world is there?

Try to pray on that, and see what kind of answer you get! What would be the harm?
 _shakti_
Msg: 97
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 4/16/2012 11:06:11 PM
Yule:
What is authoritative is what is written in the scriptures for anyone to read.
I assume you are referring to the bible with this.. so, which version? Translation? Interpretation.. ?

We do not have the original documents, only copies of copies of copies, ad infinitum.. all of them varying greatly. And we don't even know for certain who wrote much of it.. you call this authoritative??

If you ever bothered to read it; you'd probably understand why I said what I said. Whether or not you choose to accept such scripture is entirely up to you, but you'd first have to read it and understand it!
I find your assumptions here laughable. I not only have read it, I have read a couple of different versions as well. I have also read many other sacred texts that some consider authoritative. I don't like to limit myself.

The title of this thread is: "Does God answer prayer". My view is on it that "god' can answer, dismiss, or postpone someones prayer for whatever reason, whether its obvious to us or not! If you rather hear or accept the reasoning of some (credentialed) authority figure on this matter then go right ahead; they are quite a few out there, just take your pick!
My entire point is that NONE of us can speak as an authority on the matter. You would have to BE God in order to be so certain.. and there's a clinical diagnosis for such thought processes.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 98
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 4/17/2012 5:37:36 AM
which version? Translation? Interpretation.

It does not matter a great deal as nearly all versions convey the same principles; it matters only to those who like to split hairs.

We do not have the original documents,

Then you've never heard of the "Q" manuscripts!

I not only have read it, I have read a couple of different versions as well

if you understood much of it (the NT) then you should be able to see the gist behind what I've said.

My entire point is that NONE of us can speak as an authority on the matter.

Where did I say i was an "authority" in my posts; I merely gave my POV, based on my understandings; Secondly, do you see anywhere in the Bible that orders its readers to become official "authorities" (if that is ever possible); or limits its access only to a certain group of elite priests, bishops, pastors, etc?

You would have to BE God in order to be so certain

So if I understand you correctly, you are inferring that only God can be "certain" of what is in the Bible; but He (god) nonetheless, allowed for it to be put together so none of us (humans) could ever be certain of what he meant! Now I get it!
 _shakti_
Msg: 99
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 4/17/2012 6:18:42 AM
Yule:
It does not matter a great deal as nearly all versions convey the same principles; it matters only to those who like to split hairs.
I strongly disagree. One little typo or omission can change the entire meaning of a sentence. In order to build a house, you have to make sure its foundation is solid.. faulty bricks built upon each other is not very stable. The myriad sects and beliefs within christianity is a testament to what I am saying.

Then you've never heard of the "Q" manuscripts!
Lol.. oh I haven't? Thanks for letting me know. But while we are on the topic.. where IS the Q document??

if you understood much of it (the NT) then you should be able to see the gist behind what I've said.
If you were basing what you have written on the NT, I fail to see where you have backed it up with scripture.

Where did I say i was an "authority" in my posts; I merely gave my POV, based on my understandings
Your post 199 certainly sounds as though you believe that you are some kind of prayer authority. Which I found laughable, as are your continued assumptions.

Secondly, do you see anywhere in the Bible that orders its readers to become official "authorities" (if that is ever possible); or limits its access only to a certain group of elite priests, bishops, pastors, etc?
I don't need the bible to guide my opinions.

So if I understand you correctly, you are inferring that only God can be "certain" of what is in the Bible; but He (god) nonetheless, allowed for it to be put together so none of us (humans) could ever be certain of what he meant! Now I get it!
Wow, I'm seeing the inherent futility here.

I quite clearly meant that you would have to be God in order to be so certain as to his intentions in regard to prayer. Which ones he supposedly answers and which he says no to and so forth.. to think that you know of a certainty which is which in such situations is nothing more than a projection of your own mind, and actually has very little to do with the bible you keep bringing up.
 ComplekCity
Msg: 100
Does God answer prayer?
Posted: 4/17/2012 9:32:31 AM
If I pray for something and it doesn't happen does that mean God didn't answer ?
Or was the answer " No " ?

If I pray for something and it does happen does that mean the answer was " yes " ?
Or just coincidence ?
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Does God answer prayer?