Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Introductions  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hawkdream
Msg: 84
view profile
History
First Nations/Native American folks say hello!Page 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Hey, Spudmama, does your name have anything to do with the Wild Potato Clan?
There's a pretty great powwow in Mammoth Spring (just missed this year's) sponsored by the Amonsoquath Tsalagi. I got info on them, if you want it.
And there was a pretty good one at Eureka Springs at Turpentine Creek Wildlife Reserve. Used to be one around Clinton, but haven't heard anything from them in a couple of years. Gas costs too much to try to make it to Tahlequah or points west or south for a granny playing "single mom", these days. Think we mixed-breeds could hit the boys in DC up with a Granny's Council and get things straightened out pretty quick?
 spudmama
Msg: 85
First Nations/Native American folks say hello!
Posted: 7/14/2006 10:19:18 PM
i am stone sensitive, a grand old cherokee traditional gift, and i gathered stones for a ceremonialist who was making medicine bundles. cherokee was his first language but he hadn't spoken it since his childhood in north carolina.

because my family had not named me, he decided to thank me with one, but he was too vain to look anything up. in an attempt to name me "stone woman" (nuya ageya) he accidentally named me "potato woman" (nuna ageya).

years later when i came online (mid-90s) other cherokees told me. i actually rolled on the floor laughing.
 Raveninns
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2006 12:11:08 PM
^^^^^^^^^^

hey pokey baby, how's stuff in C.B.?

Cheers, Raven
 Hawkdream
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2006 4:38:19 PM
Hey, nIsh! I was a CD counselor for 12 years. Worked with women's issues, used some indigenous stuff (real basic things like feathering, minerals, herbs, etc) there and in the women's prison where I build on therapeutic community concepts in working with women who are about to parole in the Pre-Release program. Worked with a battered women's shelter, for 2+ years while going to college in the 80's (at 35). Trust I will be allowed to celebrate 22 years sobriety Aug 1, and I still attend meetings. Keep up the good work, ma'am!
 dancingshadowhawk
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2006 1:11:14 AM
Hello My Friends
Potawatomi here , or at least thats what iv been told, i am currently doing much research to trace my exact roots , and as many others here , i also have scottish irish blood in the brew, but my heart and soul remains native.
 Ratero-park-man
Msg: 96
Posted: 9/9/2006 3:07:42 AM
Welcome to the swamp. lol

Happy "fishing"!!
 Huggablehottie
Msg: 100
Posted: 9/17/2006 6:13:33 PM
Non Native, sneaking in to say HELLO to you all, and
welcome to the newbees!
 Pandy
Msg: 105
Posted: 12/6/2006 12:58:59 AM
Raven's right - the threads are getting bloody at times, and the ingnorance and ill-faith is sometimes intimidating, depressing and irritating, but I'm doing my best (and so are others, brown and otherwise) to share good information with a good heart and mind. Except for the occassional time when I just slash my opponent to bits without sharing anything, but this is reserved for when I lose my patience with the haters... ;) Wrowr!

report any rules violation abuse to me directly or to the help/suggestions forum, and it will be dealt with... "slash your opponent to bits" and you might end up facing forum suspensions for off topic yourself.

As with any good community, we ask that you all report abuse to make it a better place.

Welcome to all Natives who have posted to say hello since last I visited this thread

Mita kuye ayasin

Pandy/Moderator
 Hawkdream
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2006 10:08:33 AM
Hey, Nish and Spudmama, got something for you guys to pray with me about. Could cost me my job if I stay directly involved in this issue. I was told to quit doing "native american therapy" after feathering a sister who is incarcerated. Apparently she told another NA inmate and someone (non-native) else had a problem with it. In the discussion it was linked also to "native american religion" and I was told I am to not do anything like that again. I don't want to start a conflict, but I do know that the Islamic religion is allowed to have a chaplain and conduct their ceremonies or whatever they're called. Feathering is such a little thing and is not anti-anything. I am allowed to use an occasional NA CD for centering with the inmates only BECAUSE I also use Celtic music as well. There is so much therapeutic stuff we are not allowed to do in prison because the inmates might use it in some criminal way (can't have crayons in the compound).
This sister's mother wanted to have a feather ceremony when she completes Therapeutic Community (loosely similar to old Cherokee Peace Villages), but I am not involved in that at all and don't have any contact with her mother. I do not want to feed the fires of prejudice, I do want to see NA inmates in this state have their civil rights as well as anyone else.
 lln0627
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Looking For Family
Posted: 12/26/2006 7:17:48 PM
My mother was German & Swiss, but my father was French Canadian with a last name of NADEAU.
His mother was full blooded Native American and his father... I am not sure, but would not be surprised if he were part Native as well.
I have been told they were Ojibiwa or possibly my grandmother was Saulteaux. Is it possible she used Saulteaux as her maiden name?
I am 50 years old, my father's parents were at least in their 70's when I was a child.

Both of my parents died whenI was young and no one knew how to reach my father's family. My mother's family had my brother and I put in foster care because no one else would take us. Since I was a kid I didn't know how to find my father's family in Canada and no one in authority tried. But now I would like to find some of them at least.

I remember my father had a sister in Winnepeg named Rita. There were several brothers, named Jean Paul, Roger, Rocky, Benoit, and my father was Adrien.

My uncle Benoit had a wife, Theresa, and they had 13 kids. They moved to Redwood City, CA for a while but returned to Qubec after less than a year here.
One of the girls, Pirette married an American service member - Steve but died at a young age from a work related illness. One of the boys married a US woman - Linda.

I wanted to apply for recognition of my heritage, but because my father was born at home with me not having a clue what parish he may have been baptized in (they were Catholic), plus the fact they were native NORTH Americans, which never had a registry, and were not US natives, I came up empty handed.
Anyone have any ideas how to remedy this situation?
Nonetheless, I want to say hello to all.
LN
 wndmanitou
Msg: 117
Posted: 12/27/2006 3:51:39 PM
hownikon,i am half potawatomi,from north carolina by way of shawnee okla.this is a fantastic site,not only for dating,but,forums,chats,so much to offer for free,hope to meet some of you online when i get back home to nc,work keeps me pressed for time,glad to see some skins here,hope everyone had a merry x-mas,and may you all have a great(sloppy but safe)new year
 subtle_savage
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2006 11:23:59 PM
Hey guys.

I'm not Native American myself, but lived beside 6 nations (Cayuga Ontario) for many years and grew to love the culture and people there. Also spent time with Pat Rivers, whom some of the locals may know.

Just passing my respect, and am glad to have come across this thread.

ss
 c_deacon
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2007 12:55:19 PM
Hello to all those of us who embrace our past history. It is to bad that many prefer not to talk about it and what happened to our ancestors.

I am Lakota and Cherokee with many white parts added as the push to take america from sea to shinning sea happened. I continue my search for truth and enjoy knowing all natives that can add to my quest for knowledge and understanding of all that makes what we are, no matter what our mix might be.

Enjoy......

Just my opinion.....
 texasbaby
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2007 9:09:30 PM
Cherokee, Scots, Irish mix here... with Pawnee cousins...
To those of you trying to reconnect with your roots, it can be very difficult, don't give up. The page unturned may hold the information you search for. Reach out to people, they will help you in your search.

tb
 moves_like_water
Msg: 137
Posted: 2/8/2007 4:59:05 PM
Hi, I'm a Dakota Sioux from Canupawakpa, currently going to college to become a doc. Hi everyone!!
 c_deacon
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2007 11:55:47 AM
Time to bring this thread back since the Pow-Wows are starting to happen for the spring and summer.....

I you would like to say hello and give some information about yourself and native happenings in your area or want to travel some to attend, feel free to connect with us on here.
 Dr.Strange
Msg: 139
Posted: 3/16/2007 3:03:38 PM
Wooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooo!!! CowBoys and Indians thread.

Hello Yall......or should I say were I come from... "Cle-Co-Cle-Co",

Some of My Ancestors were Oceanic,Artists, Hunters,Fisherman.....the normal Indian stuff.

Nice to see this thread good to pay homage to Your roots.Where I come from on My Mothers side the clan system is matrilineal which means I would take My Fathers Crest and songs,Thunderbird,Wolf and Lightning Serpent.........
 smiles46
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2007 2:26:41 PM
Hello! Just here to say hi. I am from Christian Island Ont. Was just looking around and stumbled on this site,it is great to have this! Nice to see everyone here. I will be back here to keep in touch and see what is going on. Take care
 Anockqus
Msg: 146
Posted: 4/15/2007 10:04:36 PM
Aquene! Im Mashpee Wampanoag from Cape Cod,MA :D
 Kramer111
Msg: 147
Posted: 4/30/2007 11:09:47 AM
tansis hello and hello
 Hawkdream
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2007 7:01:44 PM
May 19 - 20 Circle of Hope Ozark Pow Wow Salem, Ark. City Park
For info, www.amonsoquath.com, I think should get you there.
 Chiffster33
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2007 8:34:11 PM
Yah Tah Hey from the Great Navajo Nation,

We are called navajo by the outsider, we call ourselves dineh. I am from New Mexico, i grew up both on and off the rez. I joined the Army right out of high school, and have just recently called it quits. I have another month to go, but i start College tomorrow and well, here on POF looking for a great squaw.....as the saying goes..have tee pee, need squaw!!

Robert
 Brizo
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2007 9:50:04 AM
having done some research on my grandfather's last name and tribal records, I think I'm choctaw......the very northern region, I would suspect, as last I heard my grandfather was from West Virginia. He was a full blooded native, though I have no idea if he was registered. He left my grandmother with three daughters, one only five months old, and understandably, she would never speak of him...........I do know my mother was often mistaken for mexican, because of her skin tone, but she was half native.......
 kangarucci
Msg: 156
Posted: 6/13/2007 5:05:22 AM
Hi to you all.
I am a Tasmanian Aboriginal. I am somewhat surprised by the fact that a lot of you are posting the degree of aboriginality you have. Here we are either black fellas or not. There is no such thing as half caste. White men tried to eradicate us, but we are still strong and proud.
 Raveninns
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2007 7:51:37 PM
Nice to meet you too! Tansi!

THUNDER!!! Nice to *see* you back.

Cheers, Raven
Show ALL Forums  > Introductions  >