Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dceeeee
Msg: 66
WOMEN and MEN ... would you like to date deaf people??Page 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
@Deen, I too, had never heard a bird sing or a clock tick, until I was about 35, and the hearing aids had become much more technical. I heard a new noise when I got my new hearing aids one day. I couldn't figure out what it was. I was alone, so I couldn't ask anyone. So I put my ear against the wall and walked around the room in the direction of the noise. It was a clock ticking and it clicked louder than the others. What I couldn't hear before, was suddenly so annoying, that I had to get rid of the clock! LOL!

@Shy, I never have any trouble hearing moans...are you sure he couldn't hear them, or did you just assume that he didn't? Most of us hear sounds, but have trouble making out the words...moaning is a language of it's own. LOL! You can show someone what you like by moving their hands....honestly, my men have never complained about it interfering with sex....except that I can't hear 'sweet nothings' whispered in my ear, but that's MY loss, not theirs...they can still whisper them, and pretend I hear them, I don't care!!

@edgerunner2005, I have a child who has excellent hearing. She has been tested at the hospital before I took her home...standard procedure, I'm told. Now she is 21, still no problems. FYI, I have been deaf since birth, but no one in my family has a hearing loss, so there are no guarantees for a perfect child, even if both parents are perfect.

@mindsky, music is no problem for me. I love it, I love concerts...(one of my favorite things to do!!), and I have my preferences, like anyone else. The only problem I have is that I don't understand the words, therefore I don't know the names of many songs. You could ask me if I like a certain song, and I wouldn't know, but when it's played to me, I'm like, "Oh my God!! I LOVE that song!!" LOL!

@HarleyKat, we are on the same page here, I totally agree with everything you are saying. (I've always enjoyed reading your posts, but was totally shocked to hear that you were deaf too!! I have a story about the Cochlear Implant. I'm in my fifties, and for the last few years, my mom has been on me to get it done. I told her, "Mom, I have been different all my life, (not that it bothered me, though), why would I want to get the Cochlear Implant now, when people my age are losing their hearing? I'm about to be like everyone else my age and that would make me different than them all over again!" LOL!
 dceeeee
Msg: 70
WOMEN and MEN ... would you like to date deaf people??
Posted: 11/20/2005 2:53:50 PM
Way to go, Ireland, I agree with you wholeheartedly!!!

HarleyKat, I laughed out loud at your post...more than once....you are just too funny!! I think I just found an online friend...(if it's okay with you)
 Bigger Guy
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2005 11:03:12 PM
Deaf or blind or in a wheel chair or to too tall or too short or only speaks an unknown language .... it all doesn't realy matter .... does it?
If the attraction is REAL .... you find a way to communicate ... and getting there can be a lot of fun and a great relationship builder and stabalizer.
LIVE LOVE LAUGH!
 Tinkle
Msg: 75
Posted: 11/21/2005 7:34:43 PM
As for my comment about experiencing music. I said I wished that deaf people could have the *option*of experiencing *like I do*. I know that they can enjoy music, I just don't know if it's as good for them as it is for me:)
 dceeeee
Msg: 80
Posted: 11/22/2005 8:11:10 PM
This is a little off the topic of the last few threads, but it is a story related to being deaf. This happened to me about 12 years ago. I had a foster child, and I had her and my daughter in the back seat, (They wanted to sit together...so what if I looked like a taxi driver, right?), as we were going to take my foster child to her therapy appointment.

Anyway, I'm driving along, and the kids are screaming and yelling. I'm asking them to please be quiet...they kept at it, and I said "Listen! I can't hear what you are saying, so we will discuss this as soon as we get to the Therapists office!!!" About this time, as I'm getting to the freeway entrance, I look in my rear view mirror and see the flashing lights of a cop. I pull over, thinking he's going to go around me. Well, not only does he NOT go around me, but all of a sudden these cops, (7 vehicles in all), come from all directions, the vehicles pointing at me from all angles!!! I'm thinking, 'WTF'????

The cop makes me get out and go stand next to another cop while he searches my car. I turned to the cop next to me, and said, "What was I stopped for?" He said, "Speeding". I said, "Gee, I've never been searched, and had so many cops involved, just for speeding!!" He said, "Well, why wouldn't you stop?? He was trying to pull you over quite a ways back." I said, "Oh my God! I'm so sorry, I didn't hear the sirens", and lifted up my hair so he could see my hearing aids. He started laughing, and yelled to the other cops, "Hey, you guys! We don't need to stick around...She's DEAF!!!" They were all laughing, as they left me alone with the original cop, and he was MAD...his temples were throbbing, and his hand was shaking as he wrote my ticket!!!

I was a nervous wreck, but that isn't the end of the story.....this is the kicker!!! I got back in the car, and said to the kids, "Why didn't you TELL me that the cops were behind me with their sirens on?"
(Are you ready for this?)

They said "We were TRYING to, Mom, but you kept telling us to BE QUIET!!!!!"
 dceeeee
Msg: 81
Posted: 11/22/2005 8:44:32 PM
@ Linguatic msg#97, signed interpretation of music performances is indeed beautiful. We learned to sign-sing to the song, "I Can See Clearly Now" and it was Awesome! I swear, one of these days, I'm going to re learn enough sign to be able to do that song again. It left a lasting impression on me.

@gbg msg#105, and Kat msg#109, My sense of smell is really keen too, and it's not always a GOOD thing! I'll smell a skunk in the neighborhood or on the road long before anyone with me is aware of it!

@gbg msg#112, I'm also pretty good at "eavesdropping" by lip reading. I would amaze my friends sometimes when I would tell them something someone across the room said. this doesn't happen very often, though. Usually someone gets in the way, or the person talking, turns their head in the middle of talking.
 SixDemonBag
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2005 10:33:30 PM
ilove2smile, I agree that there would be a challenge, but we all tend to bring some challenge or another to the table. It's all part of the package deal; the general challenge of the relationship. I'd have no issue with deafness, but I don't seek it out. It's just part of a person or it isn't. I don't seek out or avoid people with glasses, either. ;)

I already know some sign language (very little; I remember the dirty words best), but would love to learn more, even if I don't date someone deaf. Speaking of gestures, I've amused a couple of casual friends with my tendency to fill in with "descriptive" gestures, since I don't know enough yet.

Once a person knows sign, I consider not signing while speaking around a deaf person to be rather rude.

No embarrassment. There can be some awkwardness in new social situations, hearing or not, but I would want to be a part of her group of friends and have her a part of mine. Hopefully they would end up overlapping to some degree.
 Black_Hockey_Guy
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2005 4:37:38 AM
When I was a kid, there was a deaf girl who lived near us and we became quite good friends, had a blast together and seemed to have no probs communicating that I can recall. Unfortunately, we moved to the other side of the city & I never saw her again....

I've often thought about taking a Sign Language course just for my own benefit...really it's just another language. This last course I'm taking should be the last "official" one that I "have" to take so maybe now, I'll find the time to see that through.

So yes, if I was attracted to someone and we had common interests, I wouldn't hesitate at all.

Cheers,

Dave aka BHG
 blondegreeneyedgal
Msg: 94
Posted: 12/5/2005 6:45:18 PM
I know someone who has alot of hearing loss n luv him to death!!.I would definately date anyone deaf
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 95
Posted: 12/6/2005 12:18:20 AM
I think both my husbands were deaf!!! Or wanted to be at times!!!

I dated a guy that was legally blind and absolutely loved him to pieces. I've been to a bar and been the only person who would "dance" with the guy in the wheelchair. I had a boyfriend who couldn't hear well at all, he ended up getting a hearing aid. Therefore I do not think a person who was deaf would be a problem for me. Some people are very shallow and probably would not consider it but who would want to be with someone like that anyway?
 dceeeee
Msg: 97
Posted: 12/7/2005 6:51:55 PM
@ black Hockey guy,
I've often thought about taking a Sign Language course just for my own benefit...really it's just another language. This last course I'm taking should be the last "official" one that I "have" to take so maybe now, I'll find the time to see that through.

Sign language IS an official language. I took it in college to fill my language requirement.
 catman40
Msg: 100
Posted: 12/11/2005 9:52:01 AM
My ex-girlfreind was hard of hearing . we first met . we went to deaf club in wisconsin . We were together for 4 years . AFTER , my money was gone and credit cards maxed out she moved on to another guy . I work with 3 deaf people . I have to watch who I talk to . because 1 gets mad at the other one . Deaf people can read lips too well . I would date a deaf woman again . no doubt .
 dceeeee
Msg: 102
Posted: 12/16/2005 11:09:57 PM
Oh, Ilove2smile, that story was too good!!!
the deaf four friends sat in a restuarant and used sign language of course.. man on next table stared stared and stared at them.. he laughed and made fun of them. they discussed about something to make him feel stupid.. one of them walked to the phone and dialed something then he talked in sign language on the phone .. then sayd bye kisses.. then he went and sat with them ..
the man was shocked and wondered so he got up and walked to the phone .. he tested himself and used hands to the phone.. all deaf friends laughed soo loudddddd. he was blushed. he hanged up and left..

Yes, yes, yes!! I want to hear MORE!!!!!
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2005 5:26:30 AM
I would not consider it a problem at all.

Hell, I was married for 17 years and sometimes thought my ex-wife was deaf anyway. Maybe I should have tried ASL.

I used to date a woman that worked with deaf and autistic children. She told me some fascinating things. One day she was on a bus going on an outing, and she noticed something she shared with me.

Some of the kids were sitting there alone, and "talking to themselves" in ASL. We both thought that was quite revealing. It really shows how much we are really all alike.

It's like any "disability" , which is a word I really dislike. I once almost dated a woman that was in a wheelchair. She looked a little like Salma Hayek, and had an incredible personality. We went to a college dance together once, and I am not by my nature a dancer. I suffer from a bad case of "white boy syndrome" . ( Talk about disabilities...)

Funnily enough, we got up and danced - and were quite the center of attention. The sad part ? Even in her chair, she outdanced me.
 jakl78
Msg: 105
Posted: 10/18/2009 7:31:11 PM
Yes ! Honest some deaf people i know are total sweetheart not corupted by this world and tend to be taken have yet to meet a single deaf person yet I care about personality and caringness compation and romance would the road traveled to be a part of a deaf persons life be any harder then another no just a differant hill in the road just as to learn a new language for love and be understanding i know some sign language but not good and speed signing i learned cued speach i feel it should be a universal language to be required to be learned in schools it is one thing that has helped me in life and i can say that it may be selfish and rude but i have had eye problems in the past and i have to beautiful children that i am now the sole surviving parent to them and i would honestly give limbs and hearing up as a choice verses sight i think that it is judgmental on all parts if one chooses not to befriend or get to know someone for lack or sight or hearing or walking everyone deserves to be loved.
 barbee1970
Msg: 106
Posted: 10/18/2009 8:27:37 PM
There was a very hard of hearing guy at the VFW liked me few years ago, but that would be a tough sell. I tend to be soft spoken.
 PickMe2
Msg: 110
Posted: 12/23/2011 2:58:35 PM
can you be willing to learn sign language ??

I know ASL

can you be patience??

PATIENT - yes very

would you like to be involved in our world ?? deaf socials ??

I love PAD (Pittsburgh area deaf club) and pittsburgh area deaf/hearing socials - it is a great way to practice sign

would you interpret for us what you talk bout when we are with you ? and on phone with your friends ??

to the best of my ability

would you feel awkward when we are with you in front of your friends??

NEVER

if you want to date deaf people tell me why??

Because I have worked with the deaf and am comfortable with the culture eventhough it is not always accepting of hearing people entering the circle. I have many deaf friends from years of contact through workk and now socials. But mainly I would date someone for all thye same reasons I would date anyone - because they treat me well and I treat them well and we have a mutual physical attraction and interests. I don't descriminate.

would you love us for us ??

DUH

do you think we are easy??

That doesn't even make sense.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BOOK
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 111
Posted: 12/23/2011 5:17:29 PM
Some people are, among other things, deaf---or blind, or blonde, or short, or heavy, or ripped, or bi-polar, or good-looking, or well-educated, or dog-lovers, or opera fans, or pilots, or, or, or, or, or. . .

A characteristic like deafness is, to me, no different than any other characteristic. Sometimes that characteristic is a choice, sometimes it is not. Regardless, the person is a whole package and one characterisitic does not define them, at least not in my eyes. One characteristic is unlikely to "make or break" it with me--unless that person chooses to define themselves by one characteristic, thereby becoming one-dimensional and not very interesting.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2011 6:51:28 AM

Absolutely.
 northwildwoodnjman1969
Msg: 115
Posted: 12/25/2011 9:45:21 AM
I was born with a clubbed hand, so its impossible for me to sign due to lack of movement I have in that hand. Because of this reason, I wouldn't date somebody who's deaf. Would make it too hard for me to communicate.
 wildandfreee
Msg: 116
Posted: 12/25/2011 6:25:58 PM
yes if we have similar mindset in some area of life i will learn anything, i will make her my shadow to me there is no difference
 marjorie450
Msg: 117
Posted: 6/16/2013 12:48:20 PM
I like deaf man. i was deaf woman. please help me find deaf man
 marjorie450
Msg: 118
Posted: 6/16/2013 12:51:54 PM
I am deaf woman. i wearing hearing aids.
 mark/1948
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2013 2:48:02 PM
well, i am deaf in one in and use a hearing aid in the other. i still go on the stage from time to time, and so far the most part so good. i have a zen setting, so when i want a little peace, bada bing, bada boom. i don't have to hear to know what's going on, or how a peson feels. hearing and sight, just enhances the feelings. i sometimes ask for something to be repeateted, but i will give you my attention, can hearing people say the same. one more thing, as a culture, heaing is going to pot (w/all the devices in the ears, etc.). the question was wooden eye date a deaf person, sure. which reminds me, did you ever hear the one about...............................mark
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >