Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 annywn
Msg: 123
WOMEN and MEN ... would you like to date deaf people??Page 6 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I'm fairly certain I date them exclusively. Otherwise known as men. :)
 Lone-Loser
Msg: 124
WOMEN and MEN ... would you like to date deaf people??
Posted: 6/18/2013 3:02:58 AM
Is it hard to learn sign language?(I tried to learn both french and Chinese, and while i got the basics down, I could not learn much more than a 1st grader can when compared to English)

Patience is easy to have :D and what exactly sort of things do deaf people do(the socials thing). and for the rest, for any other reason, i don't see it being 'different' than being with someone who can hear.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 125
Posted: 6/18/2013 6:33:20 AM
I don't know how probable that would be for me.

How would we get to know each other in order for me to be interested or not? we can't communicate effectively from a very beginning already. Unless that person knew how to write and can text me while I learn sign language, I'm not sure that any communication would occur, and therefore no interest to develop. It would take some getting used to.

For the right person, everything is possible and anything can be learned.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 126
Posted: 6/18/2013 7:00:03 AM
I have learned sign language for "Would you go to dinner with me? I'll buy."
I tried it out on a deaf woman the other weekend. I now know the correct sign language for "Fvck off, @sshole."
I may have gotten the phrasing wrong.

do you think we are easy??

Apparently not.

It would take some getting used to.

What relationship doesn't take adjustment? I would enjoy the challenge of learning a new language.

My only question may not be appropriate for the forums, but I'll ask it anyway:
Does a hearing impaired woman sign dirty during sex?

I only ask in case I need to keep a dictionary handy.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 127
Posted: 6/18/2013 7:40:53 AM

What relationship doesn't take adjustment? I would enjoy the challenge of learning a new language.

I meant adjusting to the fact that I won't hear their voice, can't call them from another room, cannot share a song and dance to the rhythm, can't whisper into his ear, cannot sneak up on them and say "boo!", cannot share the sound of rain falling on leaves, cannot call them and they cannot call me (it would have to be video in order to do sign language). I like to talk, it would get exhausting to have to do hand gestures for it all. This is what I mean by adjustment, its a different kind of adjustment, its an additional kind of adjustment on top of trying to figure someone's essence.

It's not that I'm concentrating on what "cannot" happen versus what could, its that it would be new for me.

Its not just a new language, its an entirely different way of communicating. I can learn a new language in a matter of a few weeks and up to year if I really want to be fluent and spend time with the natives (I already speak various languages), but sign language involves body language and hand gestures, not training of vocal chords and mouth positioning for correct pronunciation.
 BabblingBrookes
Msg: 128
Posted: 6/18/2013 8:47:49 AM
My best friend in high school was born with 50% hearing and slowly began to lose the rest of it as she grew older. By the time I met her in high school, she was completely deaf in one ear and could barely hear with the other. I learned sign language so that I could communicate with her after she lost all of her hearing.

I can "speak" American Sign Language, so a person who knows that language won't be a deterrent for me. I've met a few deaf persons who "spoke" English Sign Language, and there was a snag when communicating. I guess it all comes down to whether we can communicate or not. I haven't researched this topic in awhile, but the last time I read up on it only 30% of the English language could be deciphered through lip reading. If he's good at lip reading, and I can understand him when he speaks, then there's no issue. I'm willing to learn a new sign language if need be.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2013 4:11:03 AM
I honestly wouldn't care if a woman was deaf. For me it wouldn't be an inconvenient adjustment at all. It'd be fun to learn her sign language. I think that two people speaking with sign language is even pretty to watch. I'd see no issues with us being able to call each other either - texting would be our thing. And I think it'd be a cool relationship, us interacting and relating to each other in that realm of silence that would nonetheless be loud with gestures and attentiveness and touch, etc, feeling like we reach that point where we're telepathic, my awareness having to be in another place in order to communicate and always be in tune with her from not being able to use my ears.

I could always have my own music playing too.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 130
Posted: 6/23/2013 3:51:46 PM
[QUOTE] I meant adjusting to the fact that I won't hear their voice, can't call them from another room, cannot share a song and dance to the rhythm, can't whisper into his ear, cannot sneak up on them and say "boo!", cannot share the sound of rain falling on leaves, cannot call them and they cannot call me (it would have to be video in order to do sign language). I like to talk, it would get exhausting to have to do hand gestures for it all. This is what I mean by adjustment, its a different kind of adjustment, its an additional kind of adjustment on top of trying to figure someone's essence.[/QUOTE]

Credit given for an honest answer...

But, to clear a few things up; you would hear the person's voice; you can text them from another room; you can share a song and dance; you can whisper and as long as you look at that person he/she will understand; you can certainly sneak up on them; they can feel/see the leaves and the rain; they can read your lips when you talk.

Definition_Of_Insanity
Msg: 131
Posted: 6/24/2013 9:20:09 AM
I dated an incredible man with severe hearing loss (that had happened to him in adult hood) for almost 2.5 years. I didn't know about it until I met him. (He approached me here on PoF, he also didn't have a picture up on his profile, FWIW). But the tone in his communication sold me right from the start. He was WONDERFUL with the written word (a real weakness of mine) and we communicated a good bit via email and text throughout our relationship.

When he wore hearing aides, he could hear me decently (I am naturally loud, with a voice that carries and it was great having that be appreciated, lol). He was a talker and I loved listening to them. When he didn't wear his hearing aides, he could not hear anything.

Our relationship was more 'private' than others I'd been in. I came to enjoy the quiet VERY much. Our 'non-verbal communication' was great... I will say, social environments were difficult for him. We didn't do a lot of parties or go out to sports bars, for example. We stayed home a lot, I had CC on my TV. I really enjoyed a relationship where WE were the primary focus (my ex-husband was a 'big shot' and I had to go to all sorts of stuff but we got to where we barely talked to each other at home, when he was home).

When my BF and I went to eat, we sat next to each other and I repeated things the server said quite often. It felt natural (I just sort of did it from the start for some reason). He could read lips fairly well, he never learned to sign.

I ended the relationship because I wanted more of a commitment than he did. But I adored him for a million reasons and the hearing loss (though I know it was tough for him in many ways based on what he told me) never hurt our relationship.
 Dansup1
Msg: 132
Posted: 6/24/2013 10:24:56 AM
Sign language would be cool as hell to learn. Then I can finally read those dots on the wall.
 pandusvenator
Msg: 133
Posted: 6/24/2013 1:56:32 PM

Sure. Why not? It's hard to sign talking dirty during sex though.

Just think of the benifits.....
 localRenoite12
Msg: 134
Posted: 7/5/2013 3:19:09 PM
Yes I would, but I understand that it would be a difficult relationship. While there is a deaf culture and identity, the disability doesn't entirely define the person.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 135
Posted: 7/7/2013 9:10:55 AM

Just think of the benifits.....

Yeah, but in your next relationship you'd have to make adjustments. When you argue and her back is turned you can't yell "Fvcking B!tch!" outloud. :)
 Vannili
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2013 9:21:45 AM
Yes I would date to marry or have a relationship with a deaf person.
I would want to learn the sign language and lip reading.

Being deaf, mute, sightless or bound in a wheelchair is not an excuse
to share what is the best in you to someone to make their life
meaningful..

Vannili
 bamagrl68
Msg: 137
Posted: 7/9/2013 2:39:48 PM
barnbyjames1- What makes things really hard is that insurance won't pay for hearing aids.
Like it's optional to be able to hear well, so not right.
I don't know about you, but now and them, when I tell people about my hearing problems, some will actually ask if I've thought about getting a hearing aid. Gee, no, I never thought of it, lol :)
 Sleepless_in_C_Mesa
Msg: 138
Posted: 7/11/2013 11:40:31 AM
No issue at all. She won't complain when I feel like playing my guitars at 3:00am!

Also, I learned ASL because my grandniece is deaf.
 sportyshortgirl
Msg: 139
Posted: 11/22/2013 9:07:37 PM
I actually would prefer to date a deaf man, their patience and powers of observation are so endearing to me. I have decided to learn ASL in the prayer I find my perfect match, so I can speak with him and learn all about deaf couture and his beliefs. I'm a very patient person, and would love to become involved in the deaf/hearing impaired couture; interpret, help interact with daily life and society. I would be honestly proud and eager to introduce and involve a deaf partner in my life and around my family and friends. Personality is what matters to me.
 Seki1949
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2013 10:15:49 PM
I wouldn't...Guess that makes me a terrible person in these parts....I specialize in dating the bi-polar.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2013 12:13:19 PM
Now look...I done responded in this thread and said that, yes, I would date a deaf person. So, where's my deaf person already? C'mon, quit hiding. We gonna have that date, or what?
 aanarchist
Msg: 142
Posted: 11/26/2013 12:39:14 PM
As long as they are actually hearing impaired and not listening impaired. How many people with functioning eardrums seem like they are deaf hehe.
 sigungq
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2013 4:35:38 PM
At least if you're deaf, you don't have to listen to a woman blither endlessly............
 nuninho28
Msg: 145
Posted: 5/31/2016 1:41:28 PM
What is up is + four four seven five two zero two eight nine three zero one

S k p is nunoportugal Viber is the same numba

You found me. Here I am, just testing the waters to see who is out there. I really enjoy meeting people in the real world but am giving online a try. I'd like to find that beautiful type of relationship where life can be shared on a deeper level. I’m looking for someone who is genuine, intelligent and has a good sense of humor - being genuine is very important for me. An ideal long-term relationship is easy to maintain, involves lively discussions, engages our friends and family around us, contains laughter and a mutual pursuit of our passions.

My name is Nuno Miguel, 35 single, Portuguese, no kids, never been married, and currently been living in United Kingdom since 2000.​ A perfect night for me is getting my family together and cooking a nice dinner for everyone. I try to always remain positive and be in a good mood. I like to go out and have a good meal over stimulating conversation. In terms of going on dates, I am not very hard to please. As long as I am spending quality time with my significant other, I am a happy guy. I believe in karma and that you should always treat others how you would like to be treated.

I am looking for a women that is fun loving and spontaneous. Some other characteristics I am looking for include: independence, sense of humor,career driven and trustworthy.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >