Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sugarstwisted9
Msg: 21
How long do you usually wait before meeting up with somebody you meet on POF?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I agree with BBQbat as well, I don't like to wait, someone could be wonderful online, but in person not compatible with you at all. The sooner you know the better, you can scratch them off your list and move on to the next.
An internet persona may never be a real life person
:O
 STH III
Msg: 22
view profile
History
How long do you usually wait before meeting up with somebody you meet on POF?
Posted: 8/14/2008 5:21:35 PM
LAYING LOW? That is just more games. Why cant people just be honest, either meet in a safe place or tell him you really don't see it happening. If you don't want to meet someone then why are you here with a profile?
 flyingiguana
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:23:44 PM
more than a week would be pointless, would be kinda like having a pen pal. i'd much rather get to know someone by looking into their eyes instead of a bunch of text.
 Droleci
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 9:31:49 PM
ASAP.

Ideally, you're setting up a meeting by your third e-mail.

Waiting is bad.
 geeleebee
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/16/2008 4:20:14 PM
Put me in the 'meet as soon as possible' catagory. This way, you don't delude yourself into believing that he/she is the 'one'. Meet, talk, decide...asap.
 Xcen
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:29:21 PM
Blakeman, msg 39, that is a nice, concise way of answering and I agree that the two parties should meet sooner, rather than later. To me talking is easier in person, the body language and mannerisms are in view, and one can get a quick sense of whether there is something special to pursue. Diverging a bit, I notice that the usually vocal group of "paranoid" POF women have NOT weighed in on the issue of length of time. Those are the ones that have to do a credit check, fingerprints, and have three letters of recommendation before they would ever meet for coffee or dinner and even then it has to be with an armed guard nearby. I am sure their answers would be in stark contrast to those posted so far.
 bellazingara
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:34:01 PM
I don't have a set time frame. I've waited anywhere from one week to two years. I'd say two-three months has probably been the average for me overall.
 hamtaro
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:34:01 PM
Yeah meeting ASAP is the best way to go. The longer you wait (especially if the emails are going well) the more you emotionally invest in a fantasy of someone and when you finally meet if there's nothing there, there's a lot of wasted time.

My best friend initially made an account just to write a testimonial for me but then decided to "play a bit", she had more emails in one hour than I'd gotten in a week, and she played with all the guys, but ended up emailing one guy somewhat regularly until she got tired of the whole thing. The poor guy probably thought he was getting somewhere seriously.

The odds are seriously stacked for women here and I know a lot do it just for the attention. Its depressing sometimes and it makes me wonder why we even try. It's for these reasons and more that I've already decided to split all initial dates, maybe if there's a 3rd date I might start paying but so far I haven't had one yet :)
 Sparkopassion
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2008 7:33:37 AM
To many timewasters who do not really know what they are looking for, many just want to chat and not meet up, if your not intrested just be honest and upfront

I say if you have not met within the month then its not really going to happen, unless they are far away in which case thats understandable.

After 500 texts and a full inbox of emails from some females, and weeks of arranging a meet for lunch...yes we will meet... and no i am busy this week crap from them has made me sit up, no more timewasters!
 Jer-C-Girl
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2008 7:43:52 AM
I like to email a few times and then about the third email to him, I would include my phone number. Leave it up to him to call (although they may send me their number too). By now he knows my work and gym schedule (as they both do tend to keep me somewhat busy). Then, if he is not intimidated by my schedule, he will call. I find that I don't get called too much but that's okay. I know by the possible lack of calling that he would be wasting OUR time. I'm not desperate for someone in my life --- if and when the time comes for both of us to find each other, we will.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >