Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Double Cabin
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Anime & Video Games: Gain/Lose Points?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Could you tell me what Anime is?
 Double Cabin
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Anime & Video Games: Gain/Lose Points?
Posted: 10/30/2005 4:52:58 PM
Thanks friend! If someone sees your treasure as trash they are not worth your time. When I was a boy Pong was about the only video game. I have a friend with one of those 30 plus year old machines in his adult playroom basement along with other more contemporary stuff. He has no problem with the ladies.
 DavePinFlorida
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/30/2005 5:51:46 PM
I used to be a big time game player.. but I realized that being next to a warm body every night was much better then battling the forces of evil. Now I'm just a PoF forum junkee!
 HaveYouMetHayden
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2005 8:22:20 PM
would video games and anime be the same as dress ups and girly flicks?

a small minority of people may idolise the violence and hardcore sexual attitude towards women in anime, but these movies are not the only culprit. they will find another "thing" to make them feel empowered over someone.

playing games is not an inner child. all animals play games through life. they just don't do it on a system that makes certain people very very rich :)
 PhyneLiquor
Msg: 7
Anime : Pre-Pubescent Girls???
Posted: 10/31/2005 4:07:27 AM
Doesn't "anime" usually portray the girls as quite YOUNG, almost pre-pubescent??

(or at least early teens type thing..)

something DISTURBING about 25-30 year old plus guys doing that stuff, to me..

I don't know much about it, but that is the impression I got, please correct me if I'm wrong..

I think the Japanese sort of tend to have a fetish about that type of thing, teen girls in catholic school-girl uniforms, if you do some reading on it there are quite a few teen girls in Japan who "supplement" their allowance by meeting with older men...for..??
 Mojo_LA
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/31/2005 11:47:59 AM
this gains intelligence and dexterity... but you loose a lot of hit points with the ladies!
 PhyneLiquor
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/1/2005 4:28:25 AM
Think of it this way:

Being a huge "star trek" fan ( a "trekkie") Gain or Lose points??

whaddya think?? LOL :)

you might attract a FEW oddball girls, but if you're talking about the "odds" ..probabilities..

I'd say overall, big "lose points"..
 Mojo_LA
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/1/2005 9:53:29 PM
Ah, yes, "Star Trek" fans! What is wrong with these people? These guys should hang up their pointy ears and get into something like sports. Their lives would be so much more worthwhile... I mean, let's look at the life of a sports fan:

- They get together with friends and watch every game
- They memorize the stats of their favorite players
- They have heated debates about which teams are best
- They go to games and dress up in the uniform of their favorite team
- They drink lots of beer

Just compare it to the life of those ridiculous Star Trek fans:

- They get together with friends and watch every episode
- They memorize the stats of their favorite spaceships
- They have heated debates about which episodes are best
- They go to conventions and dress up in the uniform of their favorite characters
- They drink lots of Coke

Clearly, sports fans lead far more normal and productive lives!
 PhyneLiquor
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/2/2005 1:03:26 AM
^^

@ mojo:

It's not an either/or option..there are people that are neither trekkies nor obsessed sports fans..people that have a life..in the real world..

so you're a Trekkie, then?

didn't mean to offend you, sir..
 Ricardo67
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/2/2005 6:14:39 PM
I think "sci-fi" should be put into that mix.

My darling sister met a guy she fell for. It was deep into the relationship when she discovered that he was REALLY into star trek and Sci-fi. (Her exact words at this discovery was a mental "Oh no!")

Deep into the relationship (he moved in) and then discovered him up, late at night playing computer video games and watching Sci-fi. He went to such extremes she couldn't help but know that he was trying.

Anyway, point is that for SOME women (my sis) it's usually a deal breaker if it's early onto a relationship.
 Mojo_LA
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/2/2005 8:56:03 PM
You can't end the list with anime, video games and sci-fi! Let's tack on to it sports, cars, Elvis, cats, model trains, crochet and sex.

In fact, let's add any hobby that people tend to get overexcited about and devote countless hours of maniacal devotion to.

The point of this thread should be that we all have to be wary of folks who devote too much time to ANY hobby or extra-curricular activity. It's just as easy for people to spend every waking hour watching Star Trek as it is for them to talk about sports, work on their car, build model trains or knit sweaters for their cat.

It should be commended if anyone has a hobby or interest - so many folks just go to work, eat and watch TV. It's keeping everything in perspective that's important.

Personally, I'm a sci-fi nerd and Elvis freak. Then again, I don't own a white jumpsuit and I have an Emmy Award for making space battles, so no one's complaining.
 Mojo_LA
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/3/2005 11:16:10 AM
You are right, they are completely different.

Serious sports fans are generally low brow, drunk, loud and obnoxious. Serious sci-fi fans are generally introverted, intelligent, creative and geeky.

The fact that people are more comfortable with sports fans is understandable - it's more mainstream and therefore more acceptable. It shows a person who is more generic, average and goes with the flow. A follower. The fact that you are worried about what someone may think of a sci-fi loving boyfriend proves this; you cannot tolerate someone different for fear of going outside the box and people viewing you as anything other than average. That actually works out better for you, since there are far more average people out there.

Die hard sports fans are construction workers, salesmen, truck drivers and other average, mundane jobs. Sci-fi fans are the artists, writers and directors.

Sports fans are more likely to make a date of dinner and movie. They listen to rock and roll, country and rap. They are more likely to have a temper, ignore you and be uncreative lovers. They're also probably better at social gatherings and can easily talk about the weather.

Sci-fi fans are more socially inept. They tend to stick with their own kind and definitely don't know how to dress. They like alternative music. They are also more sensitive, sharing and creative. I guarantee you that, as a group, they have higher IQs. They enjoy deep, intelligent conversation and like to debate and they definitely are more creative date-planners and lovers.

Sports fans are republicans, sci-fi fans are democrats.

In their spare time, die-hard sports fans like to off-road and hang out at bars.

Sci-fi fans like to write and go to movies.

Choose your medicine.
 Tinkle
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/17/2005 10:42:06 AM
Hey! The violent video games I play is where I kill things to save the EARTH! U people that don't like violent video game betta not be pro war!
 wiserd
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2005 9:45:58 PM
I agree with a lot of what Mojo said. Admittedly it includes a lot of generalization. But the games we play and the games we watch say a lot about who we are. Very few people take a step back and say "maybe there's a reason why we enjoy watching sports, watching plays, or whatever." Maybe we there's a reason we enjoy this type of 'practice.' Look at how many metaphores from business come from sports - things like 'team player' 'long shot' etc. Look at how many sayings come from plays and movies. Anime is not fundamentaly worse than any other daytime TV show, and it's generally artistically better.

In terms of sexual innuendos;

Is it okay to idolize a 25 year old sports star on steroids, but not be attracted to a 16 year old comic character? As much as I'm sure this will rile the older ladies, they're both close to the ideal sexual archetypes for their sex. 16 year olds have some of the healthiest babies (assuming they get access to proper medical care), and if it wasn't for the fact that our current society makes having kids at 16 economically impractical (We need a lot more schooling to get by, so we have to unnaturally postpone reproduction and stigmatize sexuality in people who are too young to take care of children in modern society), we probably wouldn't frown upon such romances the way we do. After all, in Romeo and Juliette, Juliette was supposed to be 13 years old. Yeah, 13. But over time what's considered appropriate changes and nowadays if a guy married a 13 year old he'd be considered a bit off, to say the least.

A lot of my female friends are into anime. They draw it, and watch it. They dragged me into it. I don't care too much one way or another. I like Anime from an artistic standpoint and I love J-pop, but the Anime plots could often be better.

It doesn't matter to me very much what someone's hobbies are, though I tend to get along better with girls who are into anime as opposed to sports, for whatever reason. Most of the girls who like anime are either artists, or into character analysis and I jive with that. They're more happy writing fanfics (several of my friends do this) and playing 'what if...' It's true that if you're looking for an aspiring author, you'd be better off with the Otakus than the sports fans.
 designingwoman
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2006 10:29:16 PM
I have not seen much anime before but I have seen a little bit of it. I would have no problems with a guy who likes anime.

Video games fall into the plus and minus category.

Minus: Plays them day and night to the detriment of having a job and other interests

PLUS: Would enjoy setting up a game room with all those fabulous old arcade classics--a game room in which we could entertain our friends--a MAJOR PLUS!! Loving the old classic games goes over VERY well with me! Enjoying a game or two after work is normal and enjoyable. I'll join you!
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/1/2009 9:59:42 PM
I will be going to Dragon*Con this year in Atlanta.

If I am still single by then, I am almost sure to walk away from that con with a decent gf.

Over 40, 000 people. Roughly 20,000 girls. Guessing 5,000 single girls of datable range.

All in 6 square blocks for a 4 day weekend.

The gods are good.

And 40+ sexy women wearing slave Leia metal bikinis is something that must be seen to be appreciated.

These days I will not date a girl unless she is a cosplayer, video gamer, artistic geek, super intellectual, martial artist, or somehow open minded to all things geeky.

Vanilla plain Jane women bore me.

Geeky girls ftw!! I love my introverted exhibitionist ladies!
 Andrew Wiggen
Msg: 26
Posted: 6/22/2009 4:34:37 PM
I always had a weak spot for girls who played video games. I got over that. I still smile when a girl I am dating enjoys Anime though. Anyone here like Bleach or Soul Eater
 Andrew Wiggen
Msg: 27
Posted: 6/23/2009 7:04:05 AM
If I could get that anime to be banned from U.S. TV, I'd do it.

^^^Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum. You do realize you wouldn't be able to enjoy it then? Even online, as they would place regional net restrictions as well.

And many silly people who are into anime, tend to get trendy cliquey and ELITE because they don't watch the main stream anime..this is no better than people who only listen to a certain type of music, and critic others because their brand isnt "indie" or because it is main stream.
People like you enjoy an anime, but when it gets popular, and more people like it, you no longer get to view it as your own little secret. You don't get to say "That isnt real anime, I watch real anime."

Also, they act as if they are better because they watch it with subtitles.
Jesus, people like you trip me out. YOU DONT SPEAK JAPANESE FLUENTLY, yet you are willing to condemn anyone who watches mainstream anime on tv in the states as not cool..

I GREW UP WATCHING JAPANESE TELEVISION. I grew up, with the language and to this day, I adore Do rae mon. (Cat like robot.) I still remember crying as a little boy in the late 80's when KuLiLin dies at the hands of P. Daimyo. I still recall Kamesenin being the dirty perv he was, and how later in life Rumiko Takahashi adopted his attitude for her happosai charater. I still read manga, as well as several japanese biweeklys THAT AREN'T ANIMATED CHARACTERS.

I am fluent in Japanese. I grew up on the lots of Japanese Tv show that you knew nothing about as you werent even born yet, but the second Anime shows came to america, I was excited!!!

Because I then was allowed to show my friends in the states what I grew up with.
So get off your high horse, you aren't as cool as you think you are.
Oh, and I love Naruto It is huge in Japan. HUGE.

Why would it not be huge in the Americas?
You are no better than anyone else. All the animation limitation does is LIMIT YOU.
 Andrew Wiggen
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/23/2009 4:47:41 PM
Yes, because I enjoy Naruto.

... Did you even bother reading my post in its entirety?

Oh, and thank you for the informative post, oh omniscient one. We're all idiots except for you.

Uhh yes little girl I did. And I wasn't referencing naruto specifically. I was referencing all of the "Overated Anime" you were talking about. Yet still, that was not even the point. And I was speaking in general to people jsut like you, but if you want to personalize the stupidity,go right ahead.

You have no more right to decide what is or isnt over rated. You are bashing an awesome Manga by Kishi, as if whatever you read is better, when and intelligent person knows that better is nothing more than a matter of perspective and preference.

You can only speak and decide for yourself. Also, my level of intelligence doesn't exceed anyone here, save you. So before you go about making assumptions, perhaps you should think about what I said, and approach me with a better thought out retort.
 WalkingInLondon
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/1/2009 12:15:19 PM
Ok, I like the games where you sing or play guitar, but only for about an hour. If my boyfriend wanted to spend all his free time playing video games instead of doing things with or to me, I'd get really annoyed.

My daughter, 18, just dated a guy a couple of times, had a good time, but it seemed all he could talk about was World of Warcraft or something like that. She dropped him like a hot potato. Any guy that interested in a video game, and not the real world was definitely not for her! It's funny, now she has a nice boyfriend, and they occasionally play video games together, but it is not an obsession. Real world fun is so much better than scaring at a screen.
Beth
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >