Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > If You like early Pink Floyd....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 drifting star
Msg: 21
If You like early Pink Floyd....Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Excellent. Thanks a lot. I'll have to look into that.
 GTunes
Msg: 22
If You like early Pink Floyd....
Posted: 12/12/2007 11:29:06 AM
I heard a recording of a 1970 Pink Floyd concert at the Fillmore West at http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/ and the quality was top notch.
Wolfgang's Vault rules!!!
 AfterThe Rain
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/16/2008 8:53:01 AM
Hmmm. This is a bit dated but I was cruising old posts and came across a reference to Porcupine Tree
Well, this band just completely blew me away. As a huge fan of Pink Floyd, I was amazed at the music. Sort of a cross between Floyd (definite Waters & Barrett influence) and fusing sounds from some older more obscure bands like Ultimate Spinach and Hawkwind - this is amazing! Why I never heard of these guys before now (they've been around since the beginning of the 80s)but I'm making up for lost time. Even their really early stuff is great.....quite trippy and great ambiance. Back in the late 60s, I lived for music. I still do like to listen to something special and it's been a long time since I heard something that just left me with a WOW factor.
 evolving62
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2008 10:42:33 PM
A couple of people have mentioned "obscured by clouds" and I agree, great album.

Songs like "careful with that axe eugene", " set the controls" ,"the nile song" and Barretts "bike" are some early classics.

Watched a few early interviews on youtube the other day and interestingly, Rick Wright comes across as the bands early mouthpiece
 GuelphDude
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/20/2008 5:04:47 PM

Porcupine Tree is very much like Pink Floyd and they've even taken the same route as Floyd as far as their progression goes...their earlier albums are trippier and more progressive...and their later stuff is a little more accessible....

No, they really aren't. I have listened to a bunch of their albums and they are nowhere near close to Pink Floyd in any way humanly possible. I would say The Beatles Sgt Peppers album is closer to anything Floyd ever did then anything Porcupine Tree has done thus far in terms of sound.

I like most Floyd albums from Meddle right to the end of the bands existance, including A Momentary Lapse of Reason, their early stuff is really weird at times and I just like the later albums more because they are easier to get into and listen to.
 horneschwoggle
Msg: 26
Posted: 3/20/2008 5:51:59 PM
I don't hear too much of Pink Floyd's stuff except songs from "Darkside of the Moon" and "The Wall". Two other albums that are favorites was "Wish you were here" and "Animals", in which I rarely hear played on local radio.
"Atom Heart Mother" - kind of remember that album, maybe I should start listening to that pre Darkside of the Moon Floyd again and get re-acquainted.
This is a little off the subject, but I recently listened to "Sixty Six to Timbuktu" which has alot of Robert Plant's early pre Zepplin and post solo stuff. I thought the album was pretty cool. Check it out if you haven't already done so.
 AfterThe Rain
Msg: 27
Posted: 3/23/2008 7:51:18 AM
Guelphdude said:

No, they really aren't. I have listened to a bunch of their albums and they are nowhere near close to Pink Floyd in any way humanly possible.

Well, then you obviously haven't listed to their earlier music - particularly early to later 90's. Listen to "Voyage 31 Phase One" - and tell me that you don't hear a Pink Floyd Influence. Pick up or listen to a copy of "Stars Die....The Delerium Years '91-'97". There are several songs on there that clearly do. "Up The Downstair" and "The Sky Moves Sideways" both are particularly 'Floydesque'. Granted, later Porcupine Tree albums don't have quite so much of a PF influence (they've largely developed their own sound) - but there are still songs that remind me very much of PF's style and form.

I would say The Beatles Sgt Peppers album is closer to anything Floyd ever did

Huh? The Beatles are nothing like Floyd. More like Floyd have some Beatle-like sound...especially apparent in early Floyd tracks such as "The Gnome" and "Arnold Layne". But to say that Pepper sounds anything like PF is silly. After all, PF were recording their first album "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" at the same time the Beatles were recording Pepper - and were virtually a totally unknown band at that time.
 evolving62
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2008 6:32:51 AM
Floyd is tied to The Beatles, because ,the fab four were still dictating the direction of British rock leading up to "Piper" and there is little doubt that Syd digged the Beatles.

The Beatles were a bunch of uneducated kids finding their sound and they seemed to find psychedelia before most.

Floyd were publically educated and did'nt need to "find a Hamburg" to hone their art.

They went straight into the genre with Syd at their helm and had plenty of time to experiment.

He must have been influenced by Lennon's play with words and his harmonic daring on "tomorrow never knows".

Rest in peace Syd
 AfterThe Rain
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/24/2008 4:01:46 PM
evolving62 said:

Floyd is tied to The Beatles, because ,the fab four were still dictating the direction of British rock leading up to "Piper" and there is little doubt that Syd digged the Beatles.

That's right. That's why I said:

More like Floyd have some Beatle-like sound...especially apparent in early Floyd tracks such as "The Gnome" and "Arnold Layne"

There the similarity ends. The arrangements and music that made PF such a unique band are nothing like the largely Martin-arranged tracks in Pepper. Nothing anyone had done up until then sounded anything like Pepper. It was a totally unique album. That was the point I was making.
 2good2long
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/18/2008 9:20:03 PM
Hey! Not just guys like PF! Check my profile, I have "Marooned" as my theme song. Dark Side of the Moon is great, my favorite is Division Bell. Anyone listen to David Gilmour? He's still one of the world's greatest guitarists.
 INTOART
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2008 8:58:54 AM
Members of Can played with the Eurythmics on their first album. (I think the title is "In the Garden")
 rhodes73
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/19/2008 2:12:37 PM
i don't really think you can compare any band to floyd and the same goes for can. hawkwind, eloy, porcupine tree.... this is a cool forum that i can get into. here are some other bands that are adventures that you all might want to look into. amon duul 2, nektar, guru guru, gong, embryo, neu, ash ra tempel, ozric tentacles, soft machine, xhol caravan, premiata forneria marconi, agitation free, faust, gentle giant, kraan, pell mell, arktis, deuter, birth control, out of focus, jane, eroc, krokodil, cosmic jokers, area, grobschnitt, alrune rod, eiliff, hatfield and the north, magma, van der graaf generator, harmonia, aavikko, achim reichel, cluster, brainticket, camel, jade warrior, national health, acqua fragile, henry cow, kayak and the list goes on and on. happy hunting and listening.
 Madcaplaugh
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2008 10:06:55 PM
I love early pink floyd!! Syd Barrett was a musical genius, I also play alot and sing alot of syd barrett sonfs like "dark globe, terrapin" for example and my favorite song of all is "green is the color"

:)
 Vindicator
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/25/2008 7:40:54 PM
"i don't really think you can compare any band to floyd and the same goes for can. hawkwind, eloy, porcupine tree.... this is a cool forum that i can get into. here are some other bands that are adventures that you all might want to look into. amon duul 2, nektar, guru guru, gong, embryo, neu, ash ra tempel, ozric tentacles, soft machine, xhol caravan, premiata forneria marconi, agitation free, faust, gentle giant, kraan, pell mell, arktis, deuter, birth control, out of focus, jane, eroc, krokodil, cosmic jokers, area, grobschnitt, alrune rod, eiliff, hatfield and the north, magma, van der graaf generator, harmonia, aavikko, achim reichel, cluster, brainticket, camel, jade warrior, national health, acqua fragile, henry cow, kayak and the list goes on and on. happy hunting and listening."

_ I think you forgot Caravan in that heap of bands...lots of good ones there!
 Uncle Fist
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/26/2008 10:25:22 AM
Not a big fan of the early stuff. Well, not the early, early stuff. Not the Syd Barrett era.
 rebel777
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2008 8:40:16 PM
one night they were playing a pink floyd concert on TV,so I watched it for a minute after a minute when on to something else...came back an hour later and they were still playing the same note
I don't like old or new...they must of done drugs and or something cause that music is.....crapola
my older brother use to listen to them alot and he would listen to them loud..so I heard alot of there older music.... **** that...SABBATH rulez...
 rhodes73
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/27/2008 3:30:56 PM
ooops! your rite.

Echoes Answer
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/3/2008 4:16:42 PM
I love early Floyd! I spent the day in my room the day Syd died, cried a bit as he was a musical hero to me, and then after the moruning, I went outside with Piper on my Discman. I'll definitely check out Can and Porcupine Tree.

Another band to check out is Broadcast. It's not really Floydish, but it's absolutely daunting.
 AfterThe Rain
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/5/2008 6:54:52 AM
Modernboy77 said:

I'll definitely check out Can and Porcupine Tree.

I think you'll really enjoy Porcupine Tree. Amazing band. I'd start off with "The Sky Moves Sideways" which to me, is very Floyd-esque. As their chronology progresses, you will find that they move away from that somewhat, and later CDs are more diverse. It's difficult to put a "kind" of music to label PT....they explore many different styles. Their current CD "Fear of a Blank Planet" is nothing like their earlier albums, but is excellent.
 MrT.
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/7/2008 9:26:23 AM
How about some early Genesis,"Selling England By The Pound" and "Trick Of A Tail".Not for the Black Sabbath fan,although Sabbath is my #2 band behind the Beatles(#1!!!)
I second Ozric Tentacles.It's a Pink Floyd sound but raised up ten times the decibels.
This may be somewhat obscure(by clouds!),but The Stones~"Their Majesties Satanic Request" is a nice 'long strange trip'.(it's been!)
Speaking of trips,"Journey To The Center Of The Earth"~Rick Wakeman.

I gotta go trip at the brain...(suicidal tendencies)
 Echoes Answer
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/7/2008 10:26:47 AM
After the Rain, thanks for the recommendations!
 MrT.
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/7/2008 1:28:57 PM
If you like Can,man,then you'll like;
The Doors,Devo,Kraftwerk,Iron Butterfly,Donovan,The Beatles,The Stones and The Moody Blues.

If you like Porcupine Tree;
Genesis,Led Zepp,B.O.C.,Zebra,Fuel/Filter,Stabbing Westward,Al DiMeola,Ozric Tentacles,Creed,Pink Floyd and Rush.
 AfterThe Rain
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/7/2008 3:38:34 PM
Modernboy77 said:

After the Rain, thanks for the recommendations!

You're welcome!
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/4/2016 2:03:56 AM
Here is a video of "See Emily Play" from the US release of the 1967 Pink Floyd debut studio album The Piper at the Gates of Dawn featuring Syd Barrett on lead vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6HFknUsh9E

Incidentally, "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" from the 1975 studio album Wish You Were Here is a tribute to Barrett, whose mental breakdown had forced him to leave the group seven years earlier.
 Laidbackguy1964
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/17/2017 8:52:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UXircX3VdM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > If You like early Pink Floyd....