Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 3BKeys
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Does anyone else play classical piano?Page 7 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I would like to talk to some other classical musicians
 Musicphilosophy
Msg: 68
Classical music
Posted: 5/2/2007 7:13:47 PM
Absolutely! But then, I'm a composer by (off-hours) trade, so it's kind of natural.

But I'm much more an enthusiast of the more recent music. Iannis Xenakis, Edgard Varése, George Crumb, Carl Ruggles, Kaija Saariaho, Kalevi Aho, Steve Reich, Darius Milhaud, Thea Musgrave, them cats are the ones I'm most likely to spin up in winamp.
 Musicphilosophy
Msg: 69
Classical music
Posted: 5/3/2007 4:37:49 PM

Korngold is equally "known" as a composer of "classical" music, including at least one opera ("Queen of Sheba").

Another one that comes to mind is Nino Rota, the cat responsible for the soundtrack to The Godfather.

Nino's Trombone Concerto is an absolute standard in the trombone rep, and it often shows up in graduate recitals and once, even, on an orchestral program a few years back, though the specifics evade me.
 starrow
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Does anyone else appreciate Classical music?:)
Posted: 5/4/2007 2:16:53 AM

I enjoy classical. Much less than I used to, but it's the style I can handle best longest.

The same with you.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 71
Classical music
Posted: 5/7/2007 11:14:45 AM
Bach!
Beethoven
Debussy
Saint Saens
Copeland
some Mozart.
 BRASS
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Classical music
Posted: 5/13/2007 2:39:43 PM
I have lots of music in my collection. I have cassettes I haven't listened to since the 70's. But my favorite music is classical. especially Bach )what can you expesct, I'm Lutheran). When I am at home I listen primarily to Tango or Classical music. I won't list what my fsvorites are because that varies from week to week. At the end of June I will be in Cement Park southwest of Denver providing concussion for the '1812 Overture' by Tchaikovsky, It's a blast. normally I fire a three inch rifle . Last time we had 25 pieces of Artillery on line, and yes the music was fantastic even through the ear plugs. As a Pyrotechnician, the absolute bliss would be the firing of the mortars for Handels 'Music for Royal Fireworks'.
You can call me a snob if you like, but I do consider classical music more refined, elegant and classier then the filth you hear walking down the street these days. Now let me make lunch and settle down to some nice 'Gregorian chants'.
 OxfordBrunette
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Classical music
Posted: 5/17/2007 3:59:32 PM
My favourite piece of classical music is, Tchaikovsky - Violin Concerto in D major.
Itzhak Perlman plays it fantastically.
 junipermoon
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Classical music
Posted: 12/7/2008 12:05:33 PM
does beethoven's ninth bring to mind a clockwork orange for anyone else? i loved that symphony until i saw that film. which, i suppose was one of the film's main points. i still find it an amazing piece, but now i bring a 'condition' to it.

thank goodness prokofiev and gottschalk didn't have work in that film.they're my favorites right now and have no negative connotations for me.
 nipoleon
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Classical music
Posted: 12/15/2008 4:08:58 AM
What most people refer to as Classical music is actually a jumble of different styles of western composition which have evolved over some 500 years. Probably the richest contribution of western culture is our music.
It's ironic that people who think they don't like classical music listen to it all the time and don't realize it. Popular music is rooted in and follows the same basic musical style that even Bach used. That is, a simple ABA compositional form and Tonic/Dominate chord progressions. Every Rock and Roll band in the world hardly dares to stray from the bedrock of a musical style which is centuries old. Yet each generation is convinced it is breaking new ground.
 nipoleon
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Classical music
Posted: 12/17/2008 3:18:16 AM
Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, and Aaron Copeland are all lumped together as " Classical " music, yet their styles are very different and they span about 500 years of musical history and evolution. It would be interesting to find out if Indian or Japanese music has evolved stylistically over the centuries like western music has.

The Jazz oriented style which encompasses Rock and Roll, R&B, and Country/Western and we call Popular Music is more firmly rooted in the basic western classical style than most people realize. That is, in the structure of the composition itself.
Literally every Pop song follows a basic 4/4 time and simple 1-5-1 chord changes. There is only 1 example ( Yes, " Close to the Edge " ) that I know of, in which a Pop/Rock composition has dared to use 3/4 timing.

There is nothing stylistically in their compositions which The Beatles, Rolling Stones or even Nine Inch Nails do which Bach and Beethoven didn't already do hundreds of years ago, and more.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Does anyone else appreciate Classical music
Posted: 12/17/2008 9:22:46 PM
An absolutely WONDERFUL recent piece is Sketches From Pinehurst, by North Carolina composer Terry Mizesko.

Also.... if you want to hear one of THE most hauntingly beautiful pieces of music ever composed, track down Wagner's Prelude from Lohengrin. It will literally haunt your dreams!

And if you can find the Bernard Herrmann-conducted version of Erik Satie's Gymnopedies(On the London label, in their "Weekend Classics" series), buy it!! It is exquisite!!!
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2008 9:35:25 PM
While I'm on the subject of Bernard Herrmann...
Several of HIS concert pieces are available on CD(Most notably, the Unicorn Kanchana label). His Symphony is one of the greatest composed in the 20th century. His clarinet quintet and string quartet are sublime.
James Sedares premiered several Herrmann works on the Koch label. Among those pieces, "Silent Noon"(Aubade) and the Currier and Ives suite are the stand-out works!
 junipermoon
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2009 4:57:24 AM

Carl Orff is where it's at!

i agree 100%!

i once did an exciting piece of choreography to the first piece in fortuna imperatrix mundi. it just screams for movement!
 Opal-in-October
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2009 8:33:58 PM
Love Eric Satie's Gymnopedies and Gnossienne's.( Chris Martin of Coldplay must too as I heard him play one of Eric Satie's Gnossienne's during his rock concert. )
Love Chopin's Nocturne's as well. So simple and lovely.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2009 9:43:05 PM
Since you like Satie's Gymnopedies, you'd LOVE Bernard Herrmann's recording of them! It was reissued on the London label's "Weekend Classics" series(I think it's OOP, though). Upon it's initial release on LP back in the early 1970's(Entitled "The Impressionists), this recording was critically praised pretty much "Across the board", with reviewers applauding Herrmann's interpretation of the Saties pieces! Well worth seeking out the CD reissue!!!
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Classical music
Posted: 9/14/2009 10:12:53 PM
"...My favorite piece is "Brandenburg Concertos No.5-i: Allegro" by Bach ...do you think that odd? "

Not at all! Of the 6 Brandenburg Concertos/Concerti, my favorite is the 3rd movement of the third concerto. I have a Yamaha V-50 keyboard, and one of my passions in life is to play along with my CDs as I'm listening to them. Whenever I fire up the keyboard, the first thing I usually play along with is that 3rd movement from the third concerto....LOTS of fun!!!
 Opal-in-October
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Classical music
Posted: 9/20/2009 3:18:23 PM
Thanks Shoulderlegs for the heads up on the Herrmann recording of Satie. I'll look into that. Yes the Brandenburg Concertos I think rate in many people's classical favorites. I spoke to a DJ at the classical radio station in Miami who said that they play more baroque music than music from other periods as that is what they get the most requests for.
 spray1970
Msg: 85
Posted: 10/1/2009 7:05:58 AM
Do you ever listen to classical guitar? Most people just listen to the same composers and don't know about the incredible composers that didn't write big symphonic pieces. Like how about John Dowland? Some of the most famous Renaissance songs from that period and he was a lutenist. Everyone that has been described in this forum is a pianist. How about some other instruments. How about Mauro Giuliani of Fernando Sor? These are two composers from the Classical period that are well known in guitar circles but not commonly known, eventhough Sor did write operas that were popular in his day.
 junipermoon
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2009 6:03:08 PM
We were rescued by of all things an old television sitcom, Frazier. The two main character, brothers, although having Phd's in psychology did not know music. When invited to a party of music afficiendos Frazier coaches Niles with an easy phrase in which to use as a reply to music inquiries. Niles learns to participate to inquiries by saying with a note of awe in his voice, "Ah, Bach." This satisfies the other characters as they give a respectful bow of the head and echo, "Ah, Bach."

this actually was a scene from m*a*s*h*, with the dialogue between radar and hawkeye. radar wanted to impress a girl who had a significantly more sophisticated background than he did.

i find that, when i listen to prokofiev, i can't imagine anything more exciting. then i hear mozart, and i can't imagine anything more incredible. then i listen to beethoven, and i can't imagine anything more amazing. it seems that whoever i happen to hear at the moment takes on a transcendent quality, and it seems that no one else could possibly reach that same level of perfection. does anyone else have this experience?
 GQSunset
Msg: 88
Posted: 10/6/2009 5:25:54 PM
To me Mozart is truly the best, the magic flute and don giovani still amaze me at his genious.
 hyoid
Msg: 89
Posted: 10/7/2009 7:05:53 AM

Do you ever listen to classical guitar?

Check out anything in the catalog for Manuel Barrueco. Except for a Beatles title-that's dross. The man's facility with 6 strings is nothing short of astounding. He hasn't recorded much baroque/pre-classical music and his playing has become more romantic (more rubato and dynamic) so he's not likely to go back to that more mechanical style.

I have recent cds where he reprises Giuliani and Albeniz pieces he recorded in the 70's.
I thought the earlier versions were the best I'd ever heard. But he surpassed them.
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 90
Posted: 10/27/2009 7:12:34 PM
I play classical probably a lot more often than I listen to it. I adore the Bach Cello Prelude no. 1 so I adapted it for piano with harmony in the left hand. I know some purists might frown on that but I believe just because it's doesn't mean that creativity needs to be totally sifled.
 Devilsfan58
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2009 6:00:47 AM

Carl Orff is where it's at!

Bingo. I accidently came across him watching a hockey video on Youtube this morning. Carmina Burana is such a great piece.

I really love all kinds of music and am really appreciative of all media and artists that incorporate the classics into their music. One of the most recent that I really like is what Trans Siberian Orchestra does with their tribute to Beethoven and their frequent uses of well known artists such as Pachabel Canon in their Christmas album.

In truth I don't recall even seeing Pachabel on the 10 pages so far and If I did I must have missed it.
 Ostinato
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Classical music
Posted: 12/27/2009 1:24:16 PM
Definitely Jean Sibelius, besides his orchestra works, his piano pieces are priceless. My favorites include:

Op 24, No. 9 Romance in D Flat major:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUdHfD_3XiI

Op 75, No. 5 The Spruce:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyHb9bkxl3k

also works from Gabriel Faure, Edvard Grieg, Gustav Mahler, John Strauss are very enjoyable too.....
 bestbaritones
Msg: 93
Posted: 1/13/2010 6:11:20 PM
I've been a fan of classical since the age of 5 , but didn't appreciate baroque music until I came across the foot tapping goodness and intellectual stimulation of Bach, especially in his concerto for two pianos http:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j5afxSv1q4 . Since then I've enjoyed much of that eras music.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >