Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 goodguy_78
Msg: 156
Girls - Would you date a guy with bad teeth?Page 3 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Well I just wanted to thank all of you for letting me in on how it really is... I myself have been cursed with horrible teeth. Genetics have played a big part, no one on my fathers side of the family have kept their teeth past the age of 35. I was also diagnosed with cancer when I was a child, so the chemotherapy and lack of calcium during treatment really helped to start the problem at an early age. Finally my parents didn't have the insurance or means to help when I was younger and I still do not have dental insurance to this day, so I am pretty much forced to live with this curse. I brush and floss multiple times a day yet they are still crumbling out of my mouth. I would go on to list my good qualities but they would pretty much fall on deaf ears from what I am reading. I am 30 years old and do not want to spend the rest of my life alone. Seeing as I dont have an extra 15-20,000 dollars laying around, I feel the next best alternative would be to shotgun blast to the head...
Thank you all for making my day.
 curiousaboutu77
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Girls - Would you date a guy with bad teeth?
Posted: 10/1/2009 2:40:35 AM
I find that you don't need to be all that lazy to damage your teeth. All it can take is one cup of coffee with sugar or coke per day without drinking plenty of water after is enough to burn holes in your teeth. In the OP situation it sounds more like the person isn't brushing there teeth thoroughly since the damage is located in a certain area. I know a woman whose only crime in requiring lots of dental work last year was drinking sports drinks while working out instead of water which led to the problems.
 whatever3321
Msg: 158
Posted: 10/1/2009 6:38:56 AM
I was hit by a county vehicle and lost a majority of my teeth and I didn't have dental insurance and it took me about 2 months to get them replaced. There are some real nice options to getting teeth replaced and bridges are not as expensive as they use to be. Also there are some people that just have bad teeth with weak enamel that can take all the precautions and still get cavities.
 Sabrosura
Msg: 160
Posted: 10/1/2009 12:40:41 PM
YUCK YUCK YUCK! I will NOT date someone who has not cared enough for his teeth. How the heck are you suppose to kiss someone like this? I would be totally grossed out. Nope, ain't happening..............

I take care of my pearlie whites, and I expect my partner to care for his.
 ReallyCleverOne
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2009 2:42:58 PM
NO! It's 2009 not 1809. There's no reason for anyone to have a jacked up grill.
 Helen0426
Msg: 162
Posted: 10/1/2009 3:43:17 PM
goodguy_78, this is hugely important to your overall health as well as datability. Teeth that bad will shorten your life. Tooth decay and gum problems are linked to heart attacks and strokes in younger men. Haven't you been through enough already? Don't take my word for it, do a search yourself...

It's really not optional - you have to either get dental insurance or finance the work you need done, probably a combination of both will be needed. There may also be a dental school in your area where you can get work done on a sliding scale. It is medically necessary and it cannot wait.
 InNCsearching
Msg: 163
Posted: 10/2/2009 12:02:04 PM
personally from my point of view, i'd rather a woman not have any teeth...just makes things a little less painful for me.
 PregnantLady
Msg: 164
Posted: 9/13/2010 12:41:01 AM
My husband has good dental hygiene but he was on a medication (can't remember the name) that gave his teeth a little bit of a gray tint.

He is currently undergoing dental work to get it taken care of but even if he didn't I wouldn't care since it wasn't a case of lacking in dental hygiene. He has nice teeth they are just off colored due to that medication.
 readthedamnprofile
Msg: 165
Posted: 9/13/2010 10:10:11 AM
Nope, sorry, wouldn't date him. It shows poor personal hygiene and unless he is unemployed and has no financial resources at all, there is no need in this day and age to run around with a mouth full of rotten teeth.

A bit crooked is fine, braces are not convered under all dental plans and are expensive so not everyone can afford to get them straightened but, everyone can afford a toothbrush and some toothpaste I am sure. If they can't they cartainly cannot afford to date either. Whitening products are also relatively inexpensive. If you can afford a case of beer or a take out dinner you can get some Crest White Strips and get the stains off your teeth. Letting them rot out of your head is just sheer clear laziness or, a complete lack of regard for your personal appearance. Either way, it is gross
 markm19
Msg: 166
Posted: 9/26/2010 4:39:56 PM
girl or guy... if you got bad teeth/ bad breath then it out of the question. it hygien!
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 167
Posted: 9/27/2010 3:44:38 PM
funny. I knew a girl...she was smoking hot....I'd seen her around with her friends, etc...danced with her some....nice girl...

then I saw a guy one time and we became instant friends...but this poor bucky toothed beaver had kick stand teeth and looked like he had been used to open beer bottles on when he was a kid...truly terrible teeth. and he spoke funny

One day I saw the two of them together and I was just shocked...it was his WIFE...I was just shocked in all honesty.

guess what? ran into him a year later and he had gone through either a complete dental work up OR had false teeth...

either way, it completely changed the look of his face and he was a good looking guy and clearly a great guy with a great personality, etc that his gorgeous wife saw, fell in love with and married.
 Helen0426
Msg: 168
Posted: 9/27/2010 7:14:50 PM

I have a fang tooth and my teeth are crooked and yellow.

That actually doesn't sound like a big deal to me. It's decay, and missing teeth, that are real turn-offs. If you're near or in LA, though, I can see it being a larger matter. Kinda the same thing as a woman's figure - where I live, I am considered voluptuous and sexy, but in LA, I'd be fat. Standards are definitely different there!

Same thing I said to goodguy_78 applies, though, even though it doesn't seem to be a health issue for you - yet, anyway - get dental insurance (it's not that expensive), and/or finance the work. It's worth it. You're only likely to get the one set after all. And there are lots of "invisible braces" options available for adults.
 forumfishie
Msg: 169
Posted: 9/27/2010 7:30:25 PM
"he has like decay around the tops of his teeth and it is like yellow and black just around the top"

Not in a million years, I'll let that mouth get close to mine
or any of my body parts
the short
answer
NO!
Msg: 170
Posted: 9/28/2010 10:12:12 AM
Depends on how bad his teeth are I guess.Black rotten teeth of which there are only a few left?No.Crooked uneven teeth?Yeah I think so.
 jezebellpgh
Msg: 171
Posted: 10/3/2010 10:01:58 PM
Why would rotten teeth be appealing if you take care of your oral hygiene? Desperation?
 Helen0426
Msg: 172
Posted: 10/3/2010 10:24:37 PM

Depends on how bad his teeth are I guess.Black rotten teeth of which there are only a few left?No.Crooked uneven teeth?Yeah I think so.

Concurred. Singer Jewel has crooked, uneven teeth, but they are healthy and strong and white (a little over-bleached, in my opinion, but that is a matter of taste; AFAIK it doesn't harm the teeth). And she is lovely as the dawn, and so is her smile. One may or may not care for her art, but she is almost universally agreed upon as pretty, and appealing, crooked teeth and all.

I think it's things that look unhealthy that put people off. I have a slight overbite, and one tooth smaller than the others - the ones that are next to the front two, what are those called? one of those is smaller - and I am often complimented on my teeth. I think that is because they look healthy and strong. Which they are, mostly. I have been very lucky in that.

Which is not to say they've never needed any work. I have had cavities, and almost all my amalgam fillings have now been replaced with porcelain - it lasts longer, as well as looking better. I've had two root canals, one crowned, one still awaiting that. Those old amalgam fillings can cause problems in and of themselves. Very luckily, the teeth needing work have all been in the back area, where they're not so visible - but important functionally.

But they're still basically the originals, mostly, because I just got lucky in the genetic lottery, and won thick, strong enamel, pre-fluoridation era. Not everyone gets that. And if you don't get that, or even if you do, care of dental health is terribly important, not just in datability, but more so for your overall health as well, as noted previously on the topic.

So what I'm getting at is, I think people are turned off by bad teeth for a reason. Anthropologically, we tend to seek mates who appear healthy, and whether or not we want children does not seem to be a factor in this. Nothing yells "Unsound mate!" like unhealthy teeth.

Well, unless it's a nasty skin condition.
 Helen0426
Msg: 173
Posted: 10/3/2010 11:23:10 PM

Overbleaching CAN hurt teeth. The carbamide peroxide used in bleaching solutions is a very strong oxidation agent. If overused, the carbamide peroxide can oxidize and destroy the collagen fibers that holds enamel together (yes, tooth enamel is actually infused with a protein fiber latticework), and cause the enamel to crumble. Definitely don't overbleach.

Good to know, thanks. I do it about every two years. Do you think that's okay? They feel the same as always, smooth and strong. But always a little different right after a bleaching, temporarily. A little cow's milk seems to help with that. Is that all right?

Off-topic, but, hey, as long as we're here... please feel free to write me.

I know that the (thanks for the term) lateral incisors are ordinarily smaller than the (thanks again) central incisors, but one of my lateral incisors is smaller than the other, on the opposite side, is what I meant. There's a slight gap between it and the central incisor due to this. I don't mind it much, my teeth are cute overall, so it's okay. But it is an irregularity, albeit minor.

Even to a dental professional like me who looks into mouths all day, a foul-smelling mouth full of decay or gum disease can still make me nauseaous!

As a semi-professional Language Nitpicker, I think you mean, "nauseated." But more to the point, I understand, I think. Last time I went for a cleaning, the technician who did the work said something about how they're not all healthy mouths, and it isn't fun when they're not. She reassured me, when I looked at her questioningly (I couldn't talk at the time), "Yours is one of the good ones."

I wondered what else she'd seen that day.
 sunbeach95
Msg: 174
Posted: 10/5/2010 8:23:13 AM
It would probably depend on exactly how bad his teeth were. I don't expect someone to have perfect teeth. A missing tooth, a crooked tooth etc is not a big deal. But having rotten teeth / bad breath is a dealbreaker.
 Remington55
Msg: 175
Posted: 11/6/2010 6:40:17 AM

"...decay around the tops of his teeth and it is like yellow and black just around the top..."

It sounds like this guy's gums have receded and now you can see the tops of his teeth. Good dental practices such as brushing and flossing would've prevented this long before they had gotten to this stage. If he's now changed his ways and has started brushing and flossing, he could improve the condition of his mouth, however the receding part will never grow back. If he hasn't changed his dental habits,eventually his teeth may become loose and fall out. He can get Cosmetic dentistry which can include tooth veneers which are thin pieces of porcelain or plastic cemented that covers the imperfections of front teeth. It will cost him a lot per tooth and he can get caps, this will greatly improve his smile. Good dental hygiene is important though.

Bad dental hygiene can lead to all kinds of mouth diseases. Many people do NOT brush their tongue either, if you look in the mirror and see a white coating on the tongue, it can lead to halitosis (bad breath) and other complications. So brush your tongue often.

As for crooked teeth, gaps between the teeth, I echo all the dentist's corresponding input...
 MarriedMommy
Msg: 176
Posted: 11/6/2010 7:23:04 AM
My husband had teeth that could be classified as looking bad. He took some kind of medication when he was younger and it messed up his teeth, made them all discolored.

Last week he had all of his teeth pulled and will be getting dentures soon. He's self conscious now but I think he'll feel better about himself once he gets the dentures.
 Welsh474
Msg: 177
Posted: 11/6/2010 7:43:40 AM
^^^have you had that baby yet???

Less and less people have to get dentures in this day and age with floride in the water and better tooth cleaning products. My kids had far less cavities than I did growing up. I don't want to date someone with a mouth full of decayed teeth, not so fussy about someone who puts their teeth in a glass at night either. My mother has had dentures for 40 years and I've never seen her without her teeth, she had them pulled and came home with her new dentures in her mouth. She never took them out at night either.
 MarriedMommy
Msg: 178
Posted: 11/6/2010 9:41:25 AM
I'm 41 weeks and 6 days pregnant today but so far no baby yet. I was supposed to have been induced Tuesday morning but I am so far refusing it unless absolutely necessary.

I'm not sure of the medication my hubby took when younger. I know he took it for acne and it made his teeth kind of a grayish color. He's been self conscious about it so I finally told him if he wanted dentures I'd help him pay for his dental work.
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 179
Posted: 11/6/2010 9:31:34 PM
This is where I'm screwed. I'll admit I have dental problems. After paying child support and maintaining a decent home so I would have a nice place when I had my children for visitation, did not leave enough to go to a dentist when needed. Now that I don't pay support any longer, I can't afford the cost of the major dental work I now need. Still I keep my mouth clean and pay attention to dental hygiene, but the damage is done.
 Helen0426
Msg: 180
Posted: 11/7/2010 10:46:49 AM

I'm not sure of the medication my hubby took when younger. I know he took it for acne and it made his teeth kind of a grayish color. He's been self conscious about it so I finally told him if he wanted dentures I'd help him pay for his dental work.

That'd almost certainly be tetracycline. A friend of mine has the same thing and it's never held her back any - it's a little startling on first meeting her, but taking a second look, it's clear that the teeth are in fact healthy and well-cared-for, which IMO is what people are really looking for in this area. She got married a couple of years ago to a man who isn't bothered by it in the least.

In your husband's case, I'm with you, since it bothers him, he might as well go ahead and do this. I'm a little surprised at the choice of pulling and dentures rather than veneers or implants, but as long as the dentist feels that's an okay way to go, I'm sure it is...

Good luck with your delivery, if it hasn't happened yet as I write this!

Beershark, you might look into getting dental insurance, if you haven't already. Relatively, it costs little, and many plans cover quite a lot. Dental health is so important to one's overall health!
 RushLuv
Msg: 181
Posted: 11/7/2010 10:53:35 AM
I'm self conscious about my teeth, and I would really like to get them fixed. They take away from my wanting to smile. I think having bad teeth overall takes away from having a nice smile, but this just my opinion.

If a guy is missing front teeth, his teeth are too yellow, brown spots all over them or even crooked, I'll have to pass.

I mean lets face it, everybody likes a nice set of teeth but I don't actually seek them out.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >