Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Helen0426
Msg: 172
Girls - Would you date a guy with bad teeth?Page 5 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

Depends on how bad his teeth are I guess.Black rotten teeth of which there are only a few left?No.Crooked uneven teeth?Yeah I think so.

Concurred. Singer Jewel has crooked, uneven teeth, but they are healthy and strong and white (a little over-bleached, in my opinion, but that is a matter of taste; AFAIK it doesn't harm the teeth). And she is lovely as the dawn, and so is her smile. One may or may not care for her art, but she is almost universally agreed upon as pretty, and appealing, crooked teeth and all.

I think it's things that look unhealthy that put people off. I have a slight overbite, and one tooth smaller than the others - the ones that are next to the front two, what are those called? one of those is smaller - and I am often complimented on my teeth. I think that is because they look healthy and strong. Which they are, mostly. I have been very lucky in that.

Which is not to say they've never needed any work. I have had cavities, and almost all my amalgam fillings have now been replaced with porcelain - it lasts longer, as well as looking better. I've had two root canals, one crowned, one still awaiting that. Those old amalgam fillings can cause problems in and of themselves. Very luckily, the teeth needing work have all been in the back area, where they're not so visible - but important functionally.

But they're still basically the originals, mostly, because I just got lucky in the genetic lottery, and won thick, strong enamel, pre-fluoridation era. Not everyone gets that. And if you don't get that, or even if you do, care of dental health is terribly important, not just in datability, but more so for your overall health as well, as noted previously on the topic.

So what I'm getting at is, I think people are turned off by bad teeth for a reason. Anthropologically, we tend to seek mates who appear healthy, and whether or not we want children does not seem to be a factor in this. Nothing yells "Unsound mate!" like unhealthy teeth.

Well, unless it's a nasty skin condition.
 Helen0426
Msg: 173
Girls - Would you date a guy with bad teeth?
Posted: 10/3/2010 11:23:10 PM

Overbleaching CAN hurt teeth. The carbamide peroxide used in bleaching solutions is a very strong oxidation agent. If overused, the carbamide peroxide can oxidize and destroy the collagen fibers that holds enamel together (yes, tooth enamel is actually infused with a protein fiber latticework), and cause the enamel to crumble. Definitely don't overbleach.

Good to know, thanks. I do it about every two years. Do you think that's okay? They feel the same as always, smooth and strong. But always a little different right after a bleaching, temporarily. A little cow's milk seems to help with that. Is that all right?

Off-topic, but, hey, as long as we're here... please feel free to write me.

I know that the (thanks for the term) lateral incisors are ordinarily smaller than the (thanks again) central incisors, but one of my lateral incisors is smaller than the other, on the opposite side, is what I meant. There's a slight gap between it and the central incisor due to this. I don't mind it much, my teeth are cute overall, so it's okay. But it is an irregularity, albeit minor.

Even to a dental professional like me who looks into mouths all day, a foul-smelling mouth full of decay or gum disease can still make me nauseaous!

As a semi-professional Language Nitpicker, I think you mean, "nauseated." But more to the point, I understand, I think. Last time I went for a cleaning, the technician who did the work said something about how they're not all healthy mouths, and it isn't fun when they're not. She reassured me, when I looked at her questioningly (I couldn't talk at the time), "Yours is one of the good ones."

I wondered what else she'd seen that day.
 sunbeach95
Msg: 174
Posted: 10/5/2010 8:23:13 AM
It would probably depend on exactly how bad his teeth were. I don't expect someone to have perfect teeth. A missing tooth, a crooked tooth etc is not a big deal. But having rotten teeth / bad breath is a dealbreaker.
 Remington55
Msg: 175
Posted: 11/6/2010 6:40:17 AM

"...decay around the tops of his teeth and it is like yellow and black just around the top..."

It sounds like this guy's gums have receded and now you can see the tops of his teeth. Good dental practices such as brushing and flossing would've prevented this long before they had gotten to this stage. If he's now changed his ways and has started brushing and flossing, he could improve the condition of his mouth, however the receding part will never grow back. If he hasn't changed his dental habits,eventually his teeth may become loose and fall out. He can get Cosmetic dentistry which can include tooth veneers which are thin pieces of porcelain or plastic cemented that covers the imperfections of front teeth. It will cost him a lot per tooth and he can get caps, this will greatly improve his smile. Good dental hygiene is important though.

Bad dental hygiene can lead to all kinds of mouth diseases. Many people do NOT brush their tongue either, if you look in the mirror and see a white coating on the tongue, it can lead to halitosis (bad breath) and other complications. So brush your tongue often.

As for crooked teeth, gaps between the teeth, I echo all the dentist's corresponding input...
 MarriedMommy
Msg: 176
Posted: 11/6/2010 7:23:04 AM
My husband had teeth that could be classified as looking bad. He took some kind of medication when he was younger and it messed up his teeth, made them all discolored.

Last week he had all of his teeth pulled and will be getting dentures soon. He's self conscious now but I think he'll feel better about himself once he gets the dentures.
 Welsh474
Msg: 177
Posted: 11/6/2010 7:43:40 AM
^^^have you had that baby yet???

Less and less people have to get dentures in this day and age with floride in the water and better tooth cleaning products. My kids had far less cavities than I did growing up. I don't want to date someone with a mouth full of decayed teeth, not so fussy about someone who puts their teeth in a glass at night either. My mother has had dentures for 40 years and I've never seen her without her teeth, she had them pulled and came home with her new dentures in her mouth. She never took them out at night either.
 MarriedMommy
Msg: 178
Posted: 11/6/2010 9:41:25 AM
I'm 41 weeks and 6 days pregnant today but so far no baby yet. I was supposed to have been induced Tuesday morning but I am so far refusing it unless absolutely necessary.

I'm not sure of the medication my hubby took when younger. I know he took it for acne and it made his teeth kind of a grayish color. He's been self conscious about it so I finally told him if he wanted dentures I'd help him pay for his dental work.
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 179
Posted: 11/6/2010 9:31:34 PM
This is where I'm screwed. I'll admit I have dental problems. After paying child support and maintaining a decent home so I would have a nice place when I had my children for visitation, did not leave enough to go to a dentist when needed. Now that I don't pay support any longer, I can't afford the cost of the major dental work I now need. Still I keep my mouth clean and pay attention to dental hygiene, but the damage is done.
 Helen0426
Msg: 180
Posted: 11/7/2010 10:46:49 AM

I'm not sure of the medication my hubby took when younger. I know he took it for acne and it made his teeth kind of a grayish color. He's been self conscious about it so I finally told him if he wanted dentures I'd help him pay for his dental work.

That'd almost certainly be tetracycline. A friend of mine has the same thing and it's never held her back any - it's a little startling on first meeting her, but taking a second look, it's clear that the teeth are in fact healthy and well-cared-for, which IMO is what people are really looking for in this area. She got married a couple of years ago to a man who isn't bothered by it in the least.

In your husband's case, I'm with you, since it bothers him, he might as well go ahead and do this. I'm a little surprised at the choice of pulling and dentures rather than veneers or implants, but as long as the dentist feels that's an okay way to go, I'm sure it is...

Good luck with your delivery, if it hasn't happened yet as I write this!

Beershark, you might look into getting dental insurance, if you haven't already. Relatively, it costs little, and many plans cover quite a lot. Dental health is so important to one's overall health!
 RushLuv
Msg: 181
Posted: 11/7/2010 10:53:35 AM
I'm self conscious about my teeth, and I would really like to get them fixed. They take away from my wanting to smile. I think having bad teeth overall takes away from having a nice smile, but this just my opinion.

If a guy is missing front teeth, his teeth are too yellow, brown spots all over them or even crooked, I'll have to pass.

I mean lets face it, everybody likes a nice set of teeth but I don't actually seek them out.
 Mon Cherie
Msg: 182
Posted: 11/7/2010 1:10:25 PM
he has like decay around the tops of his teeth and it is like yellow and black just around the top

That sounds like caps not cleaned properly. Maybe he should talk to his dental hygenist (not sure how to spell that) about it as it's not good if bacteria is getting in under his caps.

I personally like a nice smile and rotten/black teeth just turns me off.

I'm not sure I would know what to do in your friend's situation as I've just not gotten to the point of attraction if someone's teeth are nasty.

It would be a touchy subject but if they have a good rapport she should be able to talk to him about anything.

Maybe she needs to accept him as he is or walk away if she can't broach the subject with him.

Maybe she should get up close, put her arms on his shoulders, look him straight in the eye and in a sexy voice tell him "I really want to kiss you but I just can't see myself kissing you until your dental work is finished so tell me, when will it be done?" Then give him a big winning smile.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 183
Posted: 11/7/2010 4:53:56 PM
Bad oral hygiene = no way.

"Bad" teeth as in, crooked or a little discolored, but otherwise clean and maintained = yes.

"Bad" teeth as in moss-covered, several-are-missing-and-he-ain't-a-hockey-player = no way.
 1eastshore
Msg: 184
Posted: 11/7/2010 7:00:21 PM
I agree with the woman directly above me.
 ThinkPink
Msg: 185
Posted: 11/8/2010 7:55:13 PM
Decay/foul breath/large gaps = deal breaker

Small gaps or slight crookedness= not a deal breaker.
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 186
Posted: 11/9/2010 3:04:40 PM
I agree with the above ^ ^

I LOVE a nice, genuine smile!
 forums1
Msg: 187
Posted: 1/9/2011 10:37:44 PM
I got dumped like 3mo's after getting a tooth pulled, it just split all the way to the root (damn was that painful!).
I'm sure it had nothing to do with it, though.
 NotElvisJunior
Msg: 188
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2011 7:55:02 PM
Hrm, there seems to be some confusion.

Some might say I have bad teeth. Some might say I don't.

My teeth have been yellow since adolescence. I have been using whitening toothpaste for the past 10 years continuously. They are still yellow.

My teeth were in braces for 4 years. They were straight when the braces came off, but sort of shifted back slightly, so they're somewhat crooked.

I do not have a single cavity, nor any tooth decay.

I have heard, though really want to have it confirmed, that having whitening done actually SLIGHTLY weakens the enamel, though I have heard others refute this.

So, do I have bad teeth?
 amycatfish
Msg: 189
Posted: 1/12/2011 2:50:22 PM
Makes you wonder when you see a fuzzy picture of a guy and he is not smiling in picture. Do you want to meet him? lol!
 spankygel
Msg: 190
Posted: 1/12/2011 9:28:50 PM
amen to you. it is sad that we as a society have become as u put it superficial
 browneyesboo
Msg: 191
Posted: 1/13/2011 9:44:54 AM
Obviously having teeth or not having teeth affects how you look.
How you look affects how others see you.
People can still like you and respect you if you have bad teeth.
(although most people can see a difference between poor hygiene and
bad teeth)
Doesn't mean they want to date you, kiss you or marry you.
How does that make them superficial?
 Vannili
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2011 12:30:26 AM
I don't want to date a person with a bad teeth, it has a bad smell and it is a big turn off.

How could a person doesn't take care of his hygience, going to a Dentist for oral checkup twice a year , is paid by health insurance.
 CrazyCanuckz
Msg: 193
Posted: 1/17/2011 7:36:24 PM

(although most people can see a difference between poor hygiene and
bad teeth)

Fruitarians can have cavities that are hard to stop even when proper brushing is done. In this case, hygiene isn't the case. It's worse than eating processed sugar for some reason.

Also drinking soda can cause cavities or eat away at your teeth.

It's not always about hygiene.
 Vannili
Msg: 194
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2011 4:13:37 PM
Whatever the reason a person have a bad teeth (cavities still has a bad breath)whether eating fruits,drinking soda/coffee and proper brushing is not an excuse , he should see a dentist for his teeth care, I won't let him even kiss my foot or my butt, and I am not making fun of a person who has a bad teeth but sorry I am very turn off ...
 Helen0426
Msg: 195
Posted: 2/1/2011 12:07:22 AM
Replying belatedly to NotElvisJunior:

So, do I have bad teeth?

Yellow, slightly crooked, but strong and healthy? No. They may not be the most gorgeous choppers around, but bad teeth are teeth that are rotten, have empty places, and/or are really grievously malformed.

I have heard, though really want to have it confirmed, that having whitening done actually SLIGHTLY weakens the enamel, though I have heard others refute this.

Depends how thick the natural enamel is. If you've never had a cavity, yours is probably pretty thick, like mine. I've had my teeth whitened twice, and touched it up occasionally at home, and it hasn't hurt 'em any. My dentist says it's fine for most, but that you shouldn't do it more than once a year. The last time really lasted, so I haven't had it done again in a little over two years since or even touched it up. Still smooth and strong, no problems.

I recommend it - big confidence boost! It isn't so much what other people think, as that you'll look in the mirror and smile and think, "Wow, I look great!" This is a feeling that translates into pretty much everything you do. It also has the nice effect of visually diminishing any crookedness. When the teeth are whiter, it gives the illusion that they're also straighter than they may really be. Ask your dentist about it!

I would just add the caution to be careful how white you go. If they turn out whiter than the whites of your eyes, you could wind up looking jaundiced! Don't overdo it.
Msg: 196
Posted: 2/1/2011 7:15:55 AM
My niece has very weak enamel and although she brushes several times a day and flosses she has cavities.Just because someone has cavities does not mean they are a dirty pig.Now my nephew on the other hand brushes infrequently and doesn't have a cavity in his head.You can't base whether or not someone has bad hygiene based on some cavities.

Both of them see the dentist all the time.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >