Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Sidney Crosby      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 masterspirit
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Sidney CrosbyPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Given the fact that the NHl has made all these rule chabges (and assuming the refs actually keep enforcing the new rules) can Sidney Crosby break Gretzky's records? The way things look right now a few players are on a pace to score 150-160 points-that hasn't happened in a LONG TIME. And for that matter, how good can Eric Staal be?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 2
Sidney Crosby
Posted: 11/8/2005 9:51:21 PM
Gretzky's records are like Wilt's 100 point game - never be touched.
 masterspirit
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Sidney Crosby
Posted: 11/9/2005 12:13:04 PM
supersonic
You've probably seen Staal more than I have , then. He's been compared to Yzerman and Francis but I get the sense he's a little more dynamic. Would you say he's a star or superstar?
 masterspirit
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Sidney Crosby
Posted: 11/10/2005 4:46:34 PM
I just need to throw in that you f****** canadiens are lucky as hell. Hockey in America is like nonexistant compared to you up north.
 masterspirit
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Sidney Crosby
Posted: 11/10/2005 6:03:12 PM
Char2:Yeah, thats true. I'm from Connecticut-ever heard of Avon Old Farms?
 YamIhere
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Sidney Crosby
Posted: 2/20/2007 8:31:32 AM
Fun to go back and read this thread. Didn't take long for Sid to become - inarguably - the best player in the NHL. And only 19! Add Fleury, Malkin, Staal and Whitney and the Pens have a young core drawing comparisons to ... Gretzky's Oilers, and with good reason.

Now, we just need to get that arena deal done (which should be inked in a month or so) and Pittsburgh will once again piss off the hockey-loving world by regaining its place as the most dominant franchise in the sport.

As for these comparisons between Sid and Gretzky ... I'd rather compare him to 66.
 YamIhere
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Sidney Crosby
Posted: 2/21/2007 6:06:23 AM
"...Pittsburgh will once again piss off the hockey-loving world by regaining its place as the most dominant franchise in the sport. "

??!? ...and what sport would that be? Certainly not hockey!! As for "..regaining its place..."; in order to regain something, one must first have previously attained said position. Don't ever recall that happening with Pittsburgh. 2 measly Cups do NOT qualify as even a MINI-dynasty!! Can you say "Delusions of grandeur"?

Through most of the 90s, only a handful of franchises were nearly as successful as the Penguins. Yeah, only two cups. That was disappointing. Maybe if the NHL had gotten serious about rules enforcement sooner the Pens would have won four or five. But when you had the completely talentless (minus Brodeur), gooned up Devils allowed to clutch and grab for 60 minutes every night, it gives little chance to superiorly talented teams such as those Pens teams.

When was the last time there was a dominant hockey franchise in Canada? The 80s? Now that is funny.

As for Crosby; brilliant player, BUT...he has GOT to stop with the diving and drama. He should take a lesson from Shanny who, last weekend, took a puck in the mouth and, instead of lying on the ice as if he'd been shot, just got up, spat out his teeth and carried on. THAT'S how it's done in the bigs, Kid!!

There's nothing like regurgitating Don Cherry's idiocy to make a point. Cherry is a dinosaur and his vision of the game is outdated. The Charlestown Chiefs were fictional, just in case anyone hadn't figured that one out yet.

And on the note of Pittsburgh moving.. I really hope all goes through with their contract signing. Forget moving the team to Kansas.

The franchise won't be going anywhere. The NHL will never allow it. Pittsburgh is one of the top three hockey markets in the US. It has the best TV ratings for local broadcasts of all US teams. It has sold 95% of its seats this year, including double-digit sellouts. The NHL is not a stupid organization. It sees what is happening in Nashville, St. Louis, Miami and other markets. Hockey is a very regional sport in the US and you must stick with the top regions.

That said, Kansas City will end up with a franchise. I see either Nashville or Miami relocating.
 YamIhere
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Sidney Crosby
Posted: 2/21/2007 1:44:49 PM

You know what's even funnier? At the time the Pens won their two Stanley Cups, as was the majority of NHL clubs, were comprised of mostly Canadian born players.

Canadians still dominate the player ranks. But you also have to consider, it was only shortly before then that Russian and other Eastern Bloc players were able to more easily immigrate. Even today it's still problematic (look at what Malkin had to go through). No doubt, hockey is still Canada's game, but it's largely being played in the US. Bringing me to the next point...

Listening to a sports talk show here in Vancouver, Winnipeg is apparently one of the potentials for getting a team.

Shame that Winnipeg lost its team. That city would certainly do a lot better supporting the team than many American markets. But I think the next franchise that moves will be doing so to Kansas City. KC has a brand-spanking new, state-of-the-art arena just waiting for a tenant. But I have heard the same rumblings about Winnipeg. I could see the Predators landing in one city and the Panthers in the other. Of course, though, Portland, Oregon and Houston are supposed to be very serious suitors for any potentially relocating franchises which could be very strong competition for Winnipeg.

I have my own hockey franchise problems to worry about ... it looks like we're going to lose our ECHL franchise which would just suck. No more Chiefs?
 YamIhere
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Sidney Crosby
Posted: 2/22/2007 5:41:35 AM

Don Cherry? More like ANYone who knows ANYthing at ALL about hockey!
(Don't even know how Don Cherry got in here anyway. Can you say "Thread Hijacking"?)
If you can't take a little bit of criticism about your precious little bonus baby, maybe you should stick to the "Needlepoint" thread.
As for the Penguins "regaining" their lofty position in the standings, that's certainly to be expected, seeing as they've been the beneficiaries of, shall we say, charitable drafting arrangements over the past few years.

I love how Canadians always find something to get pissed off about in regard to the Pens any time the team experiences success. Crosby, Lemieux, "charitable drafting arrangments," and it goes on and on. The reason I mention Cherry is because he becomes the most prominent voice of it all. Does Crosby dive? At times, but so does every other player in the league. Envy is so ugly.

(At least, however, you DO acknowledge that the Charlestown Chiefs were a fictional team, so maybe there's a bit of hope for you. )

Bonus trivia: Can you name the real team upon which the Charelstown Chiefs were based?

As far as expansion teams.. I've heard they might be boosting the NHL up by two more teams, and you're definitely right with the teams you mentioned, but be it because it's a Canadian sports show, they were talking about Winni having a very high potential, and also Las Vegas.. now wouldn't that be something?

I think further expansion of the league would be a catastrphic mistakes. It's overextended as it is. If anything, the league should probably kill off a couple of franchises. It definitely needs to relocate some franchises. I give the league credit for doing its best to capture the momentum that existed for the sport in the US during the 90s. But it turns out that the fascination was pretty short lived. Last year's Stanley Cup finals didn't even draw a million viewers nationwide. The NHL All-Star game drew a lower rating than a rerun of MASH that was on at the same time. It's virtually ignored on sports talk radio in the states.

Seven franchises are drawing less than 15,000 per game: Nashville (14,814), Phoenix (14,580), Boston (14,436), New Jersey (13,924), Washington (13,587), Chicago (12,902), NY Islanders (12,239). Among those seven, four are currently in the playoff picture ro within 10 points of eighth place. Which of them can you really relocate? Nashville is probably the only one that could be moved with little resistance. Phoenix is one of the fastest growing cities in America and I can't see the NHL wanting to leave that market. Boston is a great hockey market and the lack of attendance surprises me. The Devils ... well, great market in the past, but if the dying interest in the sport amongst American fans is evident anywhere, it's here. Washington is the worst hockey town in the country; the only sellouts are when the Pens or Flyers are in town. No way are the Blackhawks moved. Ditto the Islanders.

I am hoping there is no further expansion. The timing is not right. But I would like to see some of these American markets left in the dust and more teams placed back into Canadian markets where they will be supported. Interest in hockey in the US is only going to get worse, especially with the NBA regaining interest here.

As for Vegas, that is interesting. I just don't know if the NHL really wants to do that. There is good reason why none of the major professional sports leagues have touched that market.
 YamIhere
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Sidney Crosby
Posted: 2/22/2007 7:46:25 AM
^^^The only problem with that is most American markets are awful for hockey. Most - read: vast majority - of Americans could care less about hockey. Pittsburgh is one of the best hockey markets in the states and the Pens are a distant, distant second to the Steelers.

I think with hockey, you have to look past market size and look at how good of a market it actually is for hockey. A team will go into KC because the city is offering one helluva sweetheart deal. But I bet in five years attendance is the lowest in the league. For Christ's sake, the newspaper there ran a story about how to be a hockey fan, explaining everything from what a goal is to what the difference between wrist and slap shots.

What is it going to take for it to reach high levels of popularity in the US again? Time. The good news for hockey in the US is its fan base is largely young (18-36). It's also tapped into the female sports fan market like no other sport. None of the other major team sports, plus NASCAR, gold and tennis have the same level of female fans that hockey has managed to attract.

Canada, though, is dying to get more NHL teams ... I think that is the direction the league should take.
 YamIhere
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Sidney Crosby
Posted: 2/22/2007 8:21:22 AM
The Pens went through some times of very poor management, then became a victim of salaries spiraling out of control. No way Pittsburgh can compete with the likes of a New York without a salary cap. It’s a huge relief that a cap got done because the NHL ending up like MLB - where 90% of the teams are already out of contention for the 07 season - would have been flatly sad.

Right now its a matter of getting an arena deal finalized. The state and local players have put together an extremely good package for a new arena. It’s not as lucrative up front as the deal being offered in KC, but KC doesn’t offer the same market or long-term viability. The board of governors would never approve the move, either.

A second franchise in Toronto is an interesting idea. You’d have to beleive the support would be there. But the franchise would also always play second fiddle to the Leafs.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Sidney Crosby