Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 W8tn4U
Msg: 92
Cops and FirefightersPage 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I believe Police and Firefighters have the most dangerous jobs due to the fact that, daily they come in contact with people with comunicable diseases in situation where the diseases are easily transmitable. That is why these positions are called "high risk".

A fisherman does not have fish shooting at him (or her) and the fish don't have hep-c, HIV, MRSA (google it. it's very pretty) or any other disease.

Pilots and Navigators? The NTSB and all the other experts say flying is the safest way to travel.

Structural Metal Workers. DANGEROUS JOB. I'll give you that.

Drivers? Could be dangerous. I did it for several years. Never an accident. I worked with a large group of people who drove. We never got into an accident and never got a disease or exposed to any.

The list goes on but really anyone who says police and firefighters don't have a dangerous job is fooling themselves.
Police have to deal with people trying to give them diseases and kill them. It's pretty dangerous.

Lets not forget the people on the deck of a Navy Aircraft Carrier. They can be killed in a million ways.
 AppreciableKiss
Msg: 93
Cops and Firefighters
Posted: 9/20/2008 7:34:49 PM
Police and firefighters are just like any other people..... I personally love a man in uniform!
 bamaangel642002
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Cops and Firefighters
Posted: 9/25/2008 1:38:04 PM
i like fireman.and i like good policeman.we do have some policeman that are bad.but we have alot of good policeman to.my best friend's house got broke in to and alot of her stuff was stolden.the police kept on working on it untill thay got her stuff back. so yes we do have alot of good policeman.
 kane stays
Msg: 95
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 9/26/2008 2:11:53 AM
I love a man........................................Out Of uniform!
 god_of_rock
Msg: 96
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 2/9/2009 7:58:56 AM
actually not true, but they love to say it..we are all supposed to kiss their butts.
not in North America anyway..check the stats on how many (% ges) of construction workers and miners die or are seriously injured on the job vs. cops & firefighters..

in my town at least a few construction workers die each year..no cop has died on the job here since 1952..(then there was one..before that it was at least another 50 years prior)

or factory workers..get a little tired of cops & FF's constantly repeating that..sounds like whining way too often.

If it's too much for you, quit and get another job at 1/4 the pay & benefits.
 god_of_rock
Msg: 97
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 2/9/2009 8:05:12 AM

The only people that hate cops are the ones breaking the law. Cops ticket or arrest people. Firefighters do not. It's that simple. People admire those that help others as long as they're not getting a ticket.

uhh, I think that David Milgaard, Steven Truscott, Guy Paul Morin, Donald Marshall, Robert Baltotovich, Thomas Sophonow, Robert Driskell , and others _- a short partial list of people wrongfully convicted based in least in part by biased and/or tainted and false witness by cops (yes lying), and who each spent at least 10 years or more in prison for things they didn't do- would have a good reason to somewhat 'dislike' and distrust cops.

many cops are like other people -lazy- and there is no 'competition' so they go for the easy arrest/conviction..someone dead -charge the husband/boyfriend or neighbor..

'nuff said.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 99
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 2/9/2009 12:17:54 PM
When i was a kid cops were awsome. Even when we were doing something "wrong" say swinning in a creek or something they were nice. They would say "hey guys you should'nt be swiiming here it is dangerous and you could get hurt, let me give you guys a ride home" Now they tear into people for nothing . I don't want to hear a cops job is rough and such. They can quit at any time and find a new career. Of course like anything there are good and bad, normally a few bad apples ruin it for everyone but now most of the apples are bad.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 101
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 2/9/2009 8:27:10 PM
The only people that hate cops are the ones breaking the law.

I think you forgot "In my opinion" somewhere in this overgeneralization . I don't "hate" anyone but I hold a very deep-seated dislike/disrespect for many (not all) of America's supposed "finest." Spend some time researching Federal 1983 claims (and other civil rights violations) and pay close attention to police brutality/officer abuse of power and/or be a domestic violence complainant. It's not difficult to figure out why some of us don't trust those who are supposed to serve and protect. (Some of us aren't criminal, just aware .)
 WanderingRain
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 2/9/2009 10:37:01 PM
I notice that most people hate cops... until they need one.
Just like so many people hate lawyers... until they need one. The culture here in particular seems to paint lawyers in a very negative way. That's because the actions of a few bad apples erase the good so many lawyers are doing everyday for people. Just like cops.
 Blondehoney2008
Msg: 104
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 2/10/2009 5:35:13 AM
I love cops haha. Firemen though, alays get to play the good role. Wow a man put out a fire and saved some children...who hates that lol? On the other hand... a man gave me a speeding ticket...damn it! Lol cops have to do things we may not always like lol.
 mysteriousromeo
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 2/11/2009 6:18:23 PM
I have the utmost respect for (male) police officers. Not so much respect for female officers though. Females, at least in the state of New York, aren't held to the same standards as the men are. When they perform the physical agility test the women are allowed more time to run 1.5 miles and they don't have to do as many sit-ups and push-ups as the men do. That's absolutely ridiculous seeing as they're supposed to be performing the same duties out in the field. Do the criminals not run away as fast when there is a female officer chasing them as opposed to a male officer? I seriously feel sorry for the men who are put into situations where they have to rely on a female officer to back them up knowing full well that the female officer didn't have to meet the same physical standards that he did.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 109
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 3/17/2009 6:02:54 PM
lonely pod do you honestly believe that those SAME men if they were not cops are figherfighters would have been loyal ,faithful men? Hardly, our govenor just tepped down a year ago for getting caught cheating on his wife. Then Paterson steps up and says "oh yea before you guys find out and ruin me,i cheated on my wife to." So whats that say?
I have had 4 serious relationships in my life,only one of wich ended with her being faithfull. So i guess so far 75% of women are dirty liars and cheaters regardless of their profession?
 rickety02
Msg: 112
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 3/31/2009 11:37:42 AM
Lets not all forget the contract police and firefighters of which I was for many years before settling down. Most firefighters and police talk about being away for days at a time. I know from experience that we'd be away for months at a time and always working with things that the general service divisions were not trained to handle. The only difference was that we did it for the rush. And of course we loved the attention! lol
 FL CO
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 4/1/2009 9:05:07 AM

Cops have low intelligence. They see world in black and white. Good vs evil. Nothing more than hired thugs

Thats funny, alot of agencies require a 4 year degree or a 2 year degree plus military/previous experiece in corrections to be an officer. When it come to LE they have to make black and white decisions. If there is a gray area its up to a judge/jury to decide. The officers are there to enforce the laws. Nothing more, nothing less
 Panda1208
Msg: 115
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 4/2/2009 12:01:47 PM
I love a man in uniform! My opinion- men and women can become cops at an early age giving them the priviledge of holding a gun and a badge (and all the responsibility AND ego that go along with it) and frankly, some young cops I have encountered are just too immature. Cops think they have the license to do whatever they want. Drive drunk, disobey basic traffic laws and things like that. I'm not just saying, I've encountered it numerous times- friends and family are cops.

So I do show more love for firefighters in general but each person should be judged individually!
 johnzzz
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 4/2/2009 7:10:46 PM
I understand that the law can make policing difficult at times it is important so police are unable to abuse the powers the public bestows on them on the same note it is up to the public to understand their rights when encountering the police to make sure they are kept in check. even if it makes it harder to enforce the law some of the redundant crap on the street is enuf to make any one jaded. like any profession their are people who are good at their job and others who perform poorly i feel cops who make it an effort to become part of the commmunity they are patrolling and use some discretion with the power they are trusted with are cool and have my full support the guys who see the public as mere civillians our worse yet the enemy and get a kick out fining, or pushing people around, abusing their authority and yes even commiting crimes themselves and using a badg to cover it up or protect other officers are useless and build lots of public distrust.
 FL CO
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 4/2/2009 10:17:34 PM
It could also be that they've always wanted to be one, realize that unless your screw up you've got a secure job, the benefits and retirement usually aren't too bad (even though one of the local agencies benefits went up $200 employee cost since Oct). You don't have to be a LEO in most states to carry a firearm, and its not something that gets used often anyway unless you're in a highcrime area. Even then its usually just drawn and not fired. Almost everyone breaks traffic laws when they think they can get away with it so you can't really count that. As far as authority goes, they do have it. It just depends on how they choose to use it. Its a high stress career, which unfortunately spills over into offduty time sometimes.
 RSwindol
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 4/11/2009 5:36:01 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with both cops and firefighters.

Cops:
I love the idea of their job. The idea that they are here to protect and serve us.

But if you want to know the reality, most cops are control freaks and at least borderline violent people. This is why they become cops in the first place. And in the end, this controlling nature prevents them from really "serving" the public. Every one that I know (and I know quite a few) are far more interested in putting their foot down and establishing dominance than either serving or protecting.

Firefighters:
Once again, I love what they do, but not necessarily why they are doing it.

While most firefighters I know aren't as bad as cops, they are still firefighters for what I like to consider "all the wrong reasons". They become firefighters to fuel their egos first and to save a life second. If you don't believe me, I challenge you to talk to a firefighter for half an hour. If you walk away without the sensation that he's an egomaniac, then you have either met a diamond in the rough, or you have a sorry sense of character (most likely the ladder). And as it is with any egotistical person, they are constantly looking for a means in which to maintain or even strengthen their egos. It's just the way the human mind works.

If you look at the divorce rate amongst firefighters and cops, it is staggering. The irony is that women end up divorcing them for the same reasons that they were once attracted to them. And while you will probably here the firefighters and cops blaming their divorce on stuff like crazy work hours, it's normally their overbearing dominance and egotistical characters that lead to their divorce. I mean, look at how many factory workers work crazy hours, yet the divorce rate with factory workers aren't normally as high.
 barbee1970
Msg: 119
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 4/11/2009 1:08:53 PM
My 16 yr old wanted to be either or. He's going for his internship for a Firefighter in high school. I actually have a large pic of him in his gear.

He wants to be a Marine also. I am proud and scared at the same time. He really wants a dangerous job.
 FL CO
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 4/11/2009 10:07:18 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with both cops and firefighters.

Cops:
I love the idea of their job. The idea that they are here to protect and serve us.

But if you want to know the reality, most cops are control freaks and at least borderline violent people. This is why they become cops in the first place. And in the end, this controlling nature prevents them from really "serving" the public. Every one that I know (and I know quite a few) are far more interested in putting their foot down and establishing dominance than either serving or protecting.

Firefighters:
Once again, I love what they do, but not necessarily why they are doing it.

While most firefighters I know aren't as bad as cops, they are still firefighters for what I like to consider "all the wrong reasons". They become firefighters to fuel their egos first and to save a life second. If you don't believe me, I challenge you to talk to a firefighter for half an hour. If you walk away without the sensation that he's an egomaniac, then you have either met a diamond in the rough, or you have a sorry sense of character (most likely the ladder). And as it is with any egotistical person, they are constantly looking for a means in which to maintain or even strengthen their egos. It's just the way the human mind works.

If you look at the divorce rate amongst firefighters and cops, it is staggering. The irony is that women end up divorcing them for the same reasons that they were once attracted to them. And while you will probably here the firefighters and cops blaming their divorce on stuff like crazy work hours, it's normally their overbearing dominance and egotistical characters that lead to their divorce. I mean, look at how many factory workers work crazy hours, yet the divorce rate with factory workers aren't normally as high.

Sounds like you need to talk to some more LEOs and firefighters then. I'm a corrections officer and I've got totally different reason for going in that field than ego. I can retire and take home 75% of the average of my three highest earning years (not counting OT) before I'm 50. Get on with a good agency and the benefits aren't bad. Unless you really mess up you'll always have a job. Again, get on with a good agency and the pay isn't bad either. I also like jobs that are more hands on and that allow me to interact with others. I don't use my authority unless I have to. I find that talking to people like they're human works fine. I'm still using my authority, but in a passive way, if that makes any sense to you. For example, instead of telling someone to go to their room, I'll say "I need you to go to your room".

When it comes to divorce rates you can't compare LEOs to factory workers. I'll use your example of hours to start. Factory workers may have to work a late shift or a long shift, but they normall have set schedules. With LE your days off normally change and your shift may change depending on the agency. In LE you'll probably have to do doubles. You may not get to eat or go to the bathroom for several hours if stuff comes up. Factory workers also don't have no where near the stress that a LEO has. They don't have to deal with/witness things like domestic violence, fatal car crashes, homicides, rape, robbery, etc. They may have a boss yell at them, but they don't have to be cussed out and called racial slurs and still maintain a professional attitude. Factory workers don't have to worry about being shot at, stabbed, run over, or having human waste thrown at them. Also LEOs always have someone watching them just waiting for them to make a mistake so they can get him/her written up/fired or collect some money. Do some LEO have big ego issues? Yes, but you can't be a very passive person and do well in LE. It'll only get you or someone else hurt or killed.
 jessek1990
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 4/11/2009 10:59:31 PM
i love being a firefighter even as a intern its awsome , its fun to put on the gear and go in save people or pets, and we take pride in what we do and do it safely.

i remember my first day of trainning to become a memeber of the ladder company which was climbing the 100 foot ladder to the bucket from top and bottom =)
 JMars
Msg: 122
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 4/12/2009 12:05:34 PM
I dunno, after hearing all about the Polish immigrant that recently got tasered 5 TIMES by the police at the Vancouver airport for being frustrated, and then hearing the officers invovled shamelessly LIE about what went on, and then of various shootings in which the cops took control of certain video footage and "accidentally" erased it, all the while claiming that the shooting was perfectly legit, cops are getting harder and harder to trust.

I personally have never had a a bad experience with a cop. Unless you count them never showing up when you actually NEED them to being a bad experience. In fact, I've personally known a few cops and firefighters. Most got in it for respect, the uniforms appeal, job security, their dad did it. All of them are alright people, but not necessarily anykind of spectacular people. They're certainly no better than any one else, as they sometimes imagine amongst themselves. Maybe they spend too much time dealing with trash to realize. I've known a fair number of non-cops/-firefighters who have risked their safety and wellbeing to help others in dangerous situuations ... with no training, no equipment, no back up, no accident insurance. It's easy to be "brave" when you have all of that going for you. It's easy to appear moral when you control the information and/or surround yourself with indecency

But in the final analysis, they're people. I generally tend to like people. But I don't see any reason to centre them out as somehow special ... be it "of unique quality" special or "shortbus" special.
 SimplyKmplicatd
Msg: 123
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 4/24/2009 1:43:54 PM

Thats funny, alot of agencies require a 4 year degree or a 2 year degree plus military/previous experiece in corrections to be an officer.

Now, I could be wrong but we just spent two weeks on this in one of my cj classes this semester and as far as I know, only the state of MN requires a 2 year degree to become a beat cop. Now, as for needing degrees to move on up to sergeant or detective or whatever, that I don't know. It's possible and probably true.

For some reason I've been thinking about this a lot today. Yes, a lot of cops deserve the bad reps they get. I have run into far more than my share of bad cops. But just like we get pissy when people generalize men or women or whatever, you just cannot make a generalization about cops across the board.

A good friend of mine is a cop. Is he old fashioned in his beliefs? Yes. Does he prefer to be dominant? Yes. Does that mean he's a liar and a cheater and a wifebeater? Nope.

I have to give them a lot more respect lately. These are people putting their life on the line for us everyday. Well, unless you live in like, Bohunk, Iowa (no offense lol).

It comes down to this. I may not like a majority I've run across. I sure as hell like them more in this state. But you HAVE to respect what they do. Or don't call them when you need them
 FL CO
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 4/24/2009 10:01:49 PM

Now, I could be wrong but we just spent two weeks on this in one of my cj classes this semester and as far as I know, only the state of MN requires a 2 year degree to become a beat cop. Now, as for needing degrees to move on up to sergeant or detective or whatever, that I don't know. It's possible and probably true

Maybe its just in my area then that they want degrees.
 JIMMY927
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 4/25/2009 12:17:31 AM
You have got two of the most dangerous jobs

We admire Firefighters for what they do every day. But we hate cops for what they do....

Where is the love for cops ????

In the Donut Shopps across America is where they hang out .....Most of them are into activities as cheaters, liars and drunks....And they are all just a bunch of ticket pushers for the Counties and Cities.....
on two mighty towers high,
many people on the street
like each day it was so sweet.
Then an airplane came in sight,
and then struck one tower with all its might.
Oh, the anguish and the pain,
of all those in the tower and plane.
People are running to and from,
not knowing just where to go.
People jumped from the tower high,
knowing they would surely die.
Then some minutes passed and then,
there came another plane again.
It struck tower number two,
just as it was instructed to.
People tried to get away,
and forget about this nightmare day.
As the building burned and the towers fell,
it must have felt like burning in hell.
The towers crashed to the ground,
leaving piles of bodies, like a burial mound.
Many police and firemen too,
lost their lives to save a few.
Many were buried alive that day.
Oh, the tragedy to die that way.
Then miles away, in another state and city,
a plane crashed through the pentagon, oh, what a pity.
Thousands upon thousands died this day.
It was Arab terrorists they say.
They hijacked four planes, and flew in the sky,
to crash into buildings, so American’s would die.
Oh, the mourning and the sorrow,
many feared there would be no tomorrow.
Many lives this day was lost.
Too many to even count the cost.
People are running in the street,
to get away from the smoke and heat.
Ashes fell to the ground,
as thick as snow, without a sound.
It brought us New Yorker’s closer that day.
We donated blood and started to pray.
The country shut down, and we all took a part,
and gave the survivors our love and our heart!
God bless New York City and the United States of America, and “We will Never Forget”
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >