Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 69ForUNMe
Msg: 543
ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out? Page 12 of 34    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34)
jessika there are certain kids that need ,forgive me for staying this but drugs.i have a friend that his son is on these drugs and would be uncontrolable if not. even now still in trouble with law. parents just have to be sure that the Dr. they are using is relible and knows the difference in sysmptions.
 69ForUNMe
Msg: 544
ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?
Posted: 2/2/2008 9:58:21 PM
not all kids need this even though Dr. say they do. my nefew has a.d.d. but with a little ertra efford he is able to cope wwith it.Dr just have to tell the difference between those who do and don't, not just to drug them and forget them.
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 546
Posted: 2/3/2008 9:30:44 AM
I haven't seen those reports, but I have read articles about ADD/ADHD and people with depression not taking their properly prescribed medications and instead self-medicating with drugs and alcohol. They do this, because they truly do have a problem, and feel the need to fix it in whatever way they know how.

Please don't try to guilt these parents into thinking properly administered meds under the supervision of a trained physician is a gateway to addiction. What worked for you might not work for everyone else. Good for you, do what you feel is best for your child. That's what I'm doing too.
 angelah1975
Msg: 548
Posted: 2/3/2008 9:48:04 AM

You should really do some serious reading on it before you judge though. Because the idea that sugar/caffiene makes an ADHD kid hyper, and people bashing the adhd kids parents and automatically assuming that is the childs problem is just assanine.

I'm not sure why you are talking about sugar. It's a carb, and carbs are quick energy. Too much sugar can cause hyperactivity. It also causes a "crash" where your blood sugar drops because it is so quickly digested. That's why carbs should be combined with a complete protein.

Caffeine has actually been shown to increase the ability to concentrate in persons with ADHD. I'm talking about adults here, not children. Caffeine is a stimulant, not unlike Ritalin. However, too much caffeine also can cause insomnia, nervousness, irritability and increased heart rate. This is especially true in children, which is why they don't recommend treating with caffeine.

There have been some studies that show certain dyes used in food (yellow #5, in particular) will actually make ADD/ADHD symptoms worse. Staying away from foods containing both red and yellow dyes AND too much processed sugar can improve a child's behavior and ability to concentrate even if he/she does not have ADD/ADHD.

The rest of your post, I agree with. Except I would say that it's often teachers (who are overworked and underpaid) who push to get kids medicated, not just parents.
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 549
Posted: 2/3/2008 10:41:29 AM

The ones who fall for the trend or that let teachers and doctors use ADD as a cop-out for normal childhood behavior just really bursts my bubble

Mine too. I have seen people complain that they think their kids have it, when I look at the kid and think they are nuts. I really don't agree though, that doctors just bend to these peoples' will. But I'm almost always on the side of doctors, I've been working for them for 20 yrs. I'm usually on the side of teachers too, because my family is full of them, but I think they are frustrated at large class sizes and not enough staff in the classroom. I can't imagine how it would be at my job if I had 30 little people to try to educate, and one or two were so disruptive every day, at every chance, that the other 28 couldn't learn.

Back in the day, teachers and principals used corporal punishment to deal with that kind of situation (which wasn't right either), but today they got nothin. I feel for them.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 550
Posted: 2/3/2008 2:55:27 PM
Caffeine has actually been shown to increase the ability to concentrate in persons with ADHD. I'm talking about adults here, not children. Caffeine is a stimulant, not unlike Ritalin. However, too much caffeine also can cause insomnia, nervousness, irritability and increased heart rate. This is especially true in children, which is why they don't recommend treating with caffeine.

My son actually spent most of his first year taking perscription caffeine to make sure he continued breathing. That was one way I discovered it calmed him. He also cried most of his first year. Some of the only calm time I had was right after a dose of his caffeine. So, when he is off his medication and we need something to take the edge off, I KNOW we are safe with a caffeine containing beverage. If he tolerated it as a newborn I am certain he can handle it now.

Back in the day, teachers and principals used corporal punishment to deal with that kind of situation (which wasn't right either), but today they got nothin. I feel for them.

Believe it or not, our school still paddles children.
 angelah1975
Msg: 551
Posted: 2/3/2008 4:05:20 PM

My son actually spent most of his first year taking perscription caffeine to make sure he continued breathing. That was one way I discovered it calmed him. He also cried most of his first year. Some of the only calm time I had was right after a dose of his caffeine. So, when he is off his medication and we need something to take the edge off, I KNOW we are safe with a caffeine containing beverage. If he tolerated it as a newborn I am certain he can handle it now.

Wow. I had no idea that newborns could present with ADHD symptoms. We didn't notice that my daughter had it until she was in school. She's not on meds right now, so I'm hoping she has outgrown the worst of it. We are controlling it via diet, and it seems to be working (she's doing well in school, at least).
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 552
Posted: 2/3/2008 4:10:16 PM

Believe it or not, our school still paddles children.
If I hadn't heard it from you, fishy, I would not believe it. I know you like to make fun of where you live, but I didn't realize how backwards it really was. That is kinda scary. Do they let you paddle the teachers when they get out of line? lol That might be kind of fun, I know a couple of principals who are just cute enough to spank.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 553
Posted: 2/3/2008 4:50:34 PM
If I hadn't heard it from you, fishy, I would not believe it. I know you like to make fun of where you live, but I didn't realize how backwards it really was. That is kinda scary. Do they let you paddle the teachers when they get out of line? lol That might be kind of fun, I know a couple of principals who are just cute enough to spank.

LOL....yeah, when we moved back here from Alaska and had to fill out a consent form to allow them to paddle or not I almost fell over!!!! My children have told me stories of their friends being paddled. It takes a name on the board 3 times and you get paddled if your parents allow it and get a 3 day suspension if they don't. It is pretty harsh. Oh, and our principal is female and even my husband wouldn't really want to spank her. :)

Wow. I had no idea that newborns could present with ADHD symptoms. We didn't notice that my daughter had it until she was in school. She's not on meds right now, so I'm hoping she has outgrown the worst of it. We are controlling it via diet, and it seems to be working (she's doing well in school, at least).

Of course, at the time no one actually knew he had ADHD......the caffeine was because of apnea. However, when he was in the NICU he was on constant valium and demerol so he would calm down enough to actually grow. This was when he weighed less than 2 pounds. I freaked out at first but they finally helped me realize it was the only way to hepl him grow and, ultimately, help him survive. So yeah, his problems showed up from birth. When he was a baby he never slept more than about 10 minutes and he has NEVER taken a single nap since he started sleeping about 5 to 6 hours at night. His body and his mind have never slowed down enough. He actually sleeps better now, on Stratterra, than he ever has.
 0773H
Msg: 554
Posted: 7/22/2008 12:43:55 PM
Remembering my childhood and school years I most likely had Attention and Hyperactive disorders and maybe even a bit of Dyslexia thrown into the mix but back then none of it was recognized like in more recent years. I had 5 kids of my own and my current job entails being with school age kids every day I work, so I have had quite a bit of experience observing and working with kids.
There are a lot of posts here, I have not read them all and I may be repeating something already said, ...sorry!
My son, the eldest, has Dyslexia and the next child, a daughter has Attention Deficit and could be hyperactive at times. As someone posted and as I remember of myself and observed of my children, there were things that could be completely concentrated on for hours and other things for not even a minute or two in/by completely natural unassisted mental activity. There had to be a certain kind of coloring to something for it to be interesting. It had to be something new, exciting, intriguing, challenging or even dangerous.
It doesn't seem to be entirely that all of these kids can't concentrate at all but rather what most of them can and can't concentrate on. Ten similar addition or division questions in Math or writing a paragraph in English is usually impossible without turning to some other attention, whereas watching something like a caterpillar for hours or grooming a horse all morning was no problem.
My advice to anyone who faces this problem for either yourself or a child is to get a qualified assessment and better yet 2 or 3 of them if you can. Professionals are reluctant to admit it but brain study and psychology are still in infancy and much assessment is an educated "best guess". After this learn everything you can about it as fast as you can for yourself, so you will at least have some idea of what questions to ask.
Not everything works the same for everyone is an absolute fact.
This might sound strange but Ritalin and the like, are actually stimulants, ...so it is fair to ask why are they given to a child who is already very active? The planned effect is to stimulate a different part of the brain so as to bring all functions to the same level so the whole brain works together with itself and the individuals whole mental energy becomes more focused. Caffeine is a stimulant and that is why some people claim it works in their situation.
For any drug to work the person has to take the medication for it to work and herein is something to be very careful about with a child of any age. Be sure they take it as prescribed.
Here is my story about this:
I don't care who you are or what you think, as soon as your kids start school you lose over 50% of your influence on their mental intake(what they hear and see).
My daughter was prescribed Ritalin. Her mother worked at the clinic where the diagnosing doctor practiced and believed every word he said. Unfortunately he neglected to impart to her everything there was necessary to know about Ritalin and my daughter was trusted to take her own twice daily medication. One in the morning and one just after noon. It is not uncommon for children to know things their parents don't know which the children learn from their pool of peers at school and kids like to have money to spend, the more money the better. At 14 my daughter looked convincingly old enough to by cigarettes and was reselling them to other kids for $1.00 each we found out only because her older brother told on her. She then learned from her peers that she could make money selling her Ritalin so she stopped taking it, only pretending to and lied about it. Because Ritalin is a stimulant when it is taken by a kid who doesn't need it to just come up to par, that other kid gets a high from it. By my daughters behavior it was thought the Ritalin was not working good enough so her dose was increased and she had more to sell. Then she became envious of these other kids getting a buzz from her Ritalin and she didn't. Enter the child drug expert, ....she learned from someone that although the pill when swallowed works over time, if instead she powdered it and snorted it up her nose she could get a buzz from it too. Long before the time I ever found out about this it was already far too late. Problems at school were constant. We put her in a different school to try and give her a fresh start. Two months later she ran away from home in BC all the way to Ontario with the local police chiefs stepdaughter. She phoned her mother asking for money to be sent and told the lie that I had kicked her out. My exe wife was dim witted and believed the girl. Bad went to worse my daughter eventually came back(was brought back actually) but would not live at home afraid to face what she had done. Divorce happened and this was a factor. When it all came out in the wash later she had moved from snorting Ritalin to Cocaine and who knows what else. When she ran away it was really to escape her drug debt. I was told it was her drug supplier who dragged her back to pay him. She conned a student loan for $5,000.00, deliberately totaled her car for a cash settlement, stole from her mother and sisters and who knows what else to pay the debt. She then ran out on the student loan, lived between the seams with a string of creeps, was involved in credit card fraud, has been on the run for nearly 10 years from a collection agency. The last thing I have heard of her is that she is still hiding from her debts, always changing menial jobs, working now, of all things, as a live in Nanny and probably getting her remuneration under the table.

Be careful with ADD, ADHD and anything else! Be careful with prescription drugs! ....and .....Be careful with your kids!
 SJC25
Msg: 555
Posted: 7/23/2008 6:43:01 AM
My 9 year old son is diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD. He gets a low dose of Concerta in the mornings, and a "short release" ritalin in the afternoons. He also gets a multivitamin and a DHA tablet every morning (fish oil which also helps with ADHD), and sees a behavior therapist to learn coping skills.
He tells me that he likes his meds. They help him concentrate at school and he doesn't get into trouble.

However, it is my goal to eventually take him off the meds. I believe that meds are a great BRIDGE while a kid is learning coping mechanisms. Think about it. How difficult would it be to learn ways to cope if you couldn't concentrate long enough to learn?
 Jeff1971
Msg: 556
Posted: 8/28/2008 6:41:28 AM
I must say your a great parent for trying medication !!i had trouble in school because i was bullied around and i was offten punished for it!!it really seems unfair that someone who stands up for him self is punished while someone who preys on weaker children is let go!!!but on to what im saying,i tend to think i had troubles that needed addressed when i was a child but it went overlooked!!I got really sick when i was 22 i was disagnoised with bipolar and scizofrania!!!which was later changed to scozpaffective disorder!!i take medication everyday and wont go with out it if it can be helped!!!there is a major problem with parents trying to be doctors and diagnoising children themselves!!!i spent 13 years sick and at the hands of my father suffered for being "lazy" and unmotivated and suffered untold mental and emotional abbuse because my father didnt believe that mental illness is actuall a physacal illness that can be seen on an MRI scan so i feel for all the kids out there that suffer for being sick!!!i have a criminal record and have not got to go to school because iwas to sick to learn!!!the only thing that i can pride myself in is the fact that i have worked since i was 16 and i have never failed to support my children!!im on this web sight but find it hard to find a date because of my record and the fact that mentally ill people are still labeled as BAD people!!well iwish you all luck in your lives !!and by the way i was premuture too i wieghed 2 pounds 11 ounces and i survived dont know if that has any affect on my mental health but yes it is correct that most premature babys die,mostly due to the fact that their lungs arent developed !!!luck to all!!!
 razzle456
Msg: 557
Posted: 10/11/2009 6:43:08 PM
The people who really have ADHD actually have different brain function. I am not talking about psychology, I am talking about biology. The Brain is an organ of the body. Organs vary from person to person. Brains vary from person to person. ADHD brains are different than regular brains, it is a proven fact, don't believe the propaganda. You can do therapies and coping mechanisms but they will not give you a normal brain no matter what you do. Stimulants ( caffeine, nicotine, amphetamines ) can change the way the brain functions so that it is a lot closer to normal and you can still do all the non-drug therapies, they won't hurt anything.

There are a lot of adults out there that never got diagnosed or treated, and they survived and got by somehow, and I am one of them. I would tell you that if you have all the symptoms, and stimulants really make you feel better, take the damn stimulants. Its simply worth the risks if you are already an adult. You need to be able to hold onto a job, maintain a relationship, and take care of kids, or else your life is just an existence, and not really a life. Take the stimulants.
 WayTo South
Msg: 558
Posted: 10/12/2009 4:57:34 PM
The problem with medications is that the medical establishment has started treating them like cures and not the band-aid they are. While I do believe in medication for ADD children (my son is on medication for ADD), there needs to also be significant time teaching children to use their gift as opposed to it using them.

As I child I was diagnosed with ADD and spent many hours in special ed (that horrible banned place in most school systems now) being taught how to use my ADD. The problem now is that special ed teaching is not available to children and parents aren't trained in the methods to teach those skills. Without those classes I am sure that I would have become a problem child and adult heading for jail.

What I have now is trained ADD...which is a gift! I have had up to 10 IM's and four computer programs going at once, a degree in physics, and multi-tasking skills that are unreal. So it is a gift....not a problem. Teaching children to use their gift is the answer...not covering it up with medications because nobody knows how to deal with it. Sadly that is the reality a lot of kids see today...parents who don't know to deal with ADD and school systems that have had their hands tied to deal with it.
 JudoDad
Msg: 559
Posted: 10/13/2009 12:47:31 PM
It is so way beyond cop out.
I just finished the normal crappy divorce.
Ex is / was so insistent on drugging youngest that she did a zig and then hit me with ADHD Drugs will be prescribed in d papers......

Shorting this up.

I have been fighting and winning, but during this time, kid has doubled in size.
From size 8 to 16 at 10 yrs old.
Was a nationally ranked gymnist, not anymore
She told him that it would be better to take the pills at night and on the weekend to lessen the negative impact.

Have done some pretty indepth research and spent a pretty penny on keeping one of my babies from the DOPE DEALER DOCTORS.
ADD - Created in 1980 by Pharmacy study group.
ADHD - Created in 1987 when sales of Rydaling began to fall and people really were questioning the authority of schools to dope kids.

You can believe in it if you want, but if you really must drug a kid, smoke a joint with them.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 560
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2009 12:57:15 PM
I think this post and the "Does this change your mind about spanking your child?"
post should be looked at together and see if there is a good way to spank the ADHD and ADD right out of the kids that act the way they do. I think you can spank the ADHD right out of most kids. I am not a real doctor, but a do play one down at the beer barn when I am trying to pick up the chicks there. I think my spanking cure should be tried before the drugs.
 dolphinlvr36
Msg: 561
Posted: 10/14/2009 6:52:42 PM
[To add to the problem, many school administators will attempt to force parents into medicating their children, making the diagnosis on their own.]

Actually, we are not allowed to tell a parent we think their child is ADD, or ADHD. I can only tell the parent what I see in the classroom, and make suggestions (not meaning medication here) as to what can help. The thing is, teachers are usually the first to pick up on a kid having this problem, because in some cases we spend more time with a child then the parent (we get them a large portion of the day).

A child with ADHD can certainly spend a large chunk of time in front of a video game, and struggle in the classroom....It's like a "down" for them. In a lot of cases, if you give a child with ADHD caffeine, it will actually calm them down, whereas a kid without ADHD will go wild.

I have spent time as a nurse, in a pediatrician's office, for 11 years before I started teaching. I've had the opportunity to see both sides of the spectrum. Yes, there are doctors and parents out there willing to "drug" up their kid quickly. However, there are MANY doctors out there willing to look at other factors. Just last year I had a student who was having issues with behavior in the classroom. We sat down and had a conference with the parents, and we decided to try and take certain things out of his diet. We saw an immediate change. I truly believe that the things our kids (and we as adults) are exposed to in our environment have played a huge impact in lots of ways, ADHD being one. I also know that, just like depression, it can be caused by problems with the neurons in the brain.

I think some of the issues with this problem could be solved with education about the problem. Unfortunately, just like lawyers, chefs, bankers etc., not all doctors are great doctors who are willing to take the time to do the education. Sometimes, it is pressure from the parent(s) to give the kid the medication.
 Sarahbecca814
Msg: 562
Posted: 10/14/2009 7:34:26 PM
Freetime2bme, even if this is a joke it is not at all funny. There are people out there that believe this. I know of one in particular and its my son's father. SO i can tell you the results of this hypothesis as my ex beat my son so brutally at the tender age of 4 that he now suffers from PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) on top of his ADHD. He now also has serious issues with anxiety. I had to do therapy with him for 8 months to get him to even be able to trust ME again. If you have children i'd like you to think of what it must be like for your child to feel like he can't trust you and therefore shows no affection towards you for that long or longer, cuz of what some STUPID idiot like you did. And he still has a long road of therapy ahead of him, but i do mostly have my baby back at least. However that is only cuz this beating only happened ONE time. For children who endure this kind of logic more could leave permanent lifetime scars and may not be able to be helped like my son was. You disgust me.
 Sarahbecca814
Msg: 563
Posted: 10/14/2009 8:13:39 PM
For the original post, i've been dealing with my son's disorder for close to 2 years. Allergy testing, psychiatrists, special schools, changing diet, behavior analysts, and therapists. I have 2 children, one is ADHD, the other is not. You can tell a major difference. With an ADHD child they know what to do, and not to do but when the situations arise this thought process simply seems to disappear. The scariest and worst aspect of the disorder (for me and i'm sure many other parents would agree) is the hyperactivity and impulsiveness. These children do not perceive danger correctly and do not realize consquences for their actions. I have watched my son dart into the street several times even tho in the house he can tell you all the reasons not to do so. They also can get very aggressive. I've come to the point that i'm ready to try medications, after 2 long years of trying everything that i've been advised to try. Its not to make my child a zombie or so i don't have to "deal" with him anymore. Its so my child has the help he needs to make the right choices. Its about my son's safety as well as every other child around him. And, forgive me if this is selfish, i don't want to bury my son.
 Sarahbecca814
Msg: 564
Posted: 10/14/2009 8:43:06 PM
Well 1st of all i don't feel the need to go into the whole story cuz i'm sure alot of people don't care to hear it. I only made my statement as some people can take spanking a child too far and to suggest "beating a disorder out of a child" could get out of hand. I am not against spanking or disciplining my child. I know there is a difference, but some people will not see that difference so to suggest it as a solution to millions of people, there is a chance someone could take it to dangerous levels. Btw, child services ruled the case as abuse and charges have been brought against his father. I also got a PFA for my child against his father cuz the justice system is taking its sweet old time on it. If it was BS a judge would not have signed the PFA. Besides that, with the child services ruling as they did, he will never be able to be around the child even after the PFA lapses or after he gets any due punishment. I never said my son was going to be in therapy the rest of his life. I said that a child that possibly endures more than he did possibly could. Also to clarify, my son did not trust or show affection towards anyone. Of course this hit me the hardest, as i am his mother. He became totally withdrawn cuz he was only 4 yrs old and thats where his mind had to go to deal with the experience and the pain he endured. A withdrawn child will not be affectionate. The therapy he has done so far has brought him well out of his shell but he still has more to go. But no i don't think it will be for the rest of his life. Still it has been alot for him to deal with at his age and something that should not have happened to him.
 Sarahbecca814
Msg: 565
Posted: 10/14/2009 8:47:37 PM
And yes i do get rather defensive on this topic cuz when i came home from work that evening my son's father said he had "whooped his ass" , so i guess when i hear those words or anything like it my mind goes back to my son covered in bruises. I hope this would be an appalling sight for any parent. I was only trying to share my experience to possibly prevent this from happening to other children.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 566
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2009 4:06:40 AM
"Freetime2bme, even if this is a joke it is not at all funny" "You disgust me."
"cuz of what some STUPID idiot like you "

With that kind of an out look no wounder your son now suffers from PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). May be you can spank that out of him too. If you don't see the hummor this time get your self back into the therapy.
 Sarahbecca814
Msg: 567
Posted: 10/15/2009 12:46:43 PM
thank you friends2b for your apology and best wishes, i truly appreciate it. i did write my posts in the manner i did cuz i was very upset at the time, so i can understand a misunderstanding. again, to anyone else reading this, i was not sharing my story to get sympathy from people i do not know. that is not my intention or what i need. i was only sharing cuz of a mindless suggestion that you can beat a disorder out of a child which attempting to do such a thing could lead to only more problems for your child. i hope that no one would take this suggestion seriously or literally but somewhere there may be someone that does and i feel for those children and feel an obligation to share my son's experience to potentially prevent it from happening to another child.
 Sarahbecca814
Msg: 568
Posted: 10/15/2009 12:54:07 PM
my outlook has nothing to do with my son's trauma disorder. post traumatic stress disorder is a result to having a life threatening experience, or anything that the person perceives as a life threatening experience. i once upon a time used to laugh about phrases like that or maybe even used them myself (ex:"i'm gonna strangle this child). of course in no way do i think that everyone who says things like this will then act upon it but when you are giving advice or suggestions to millions of people there is a chance someone will take it literally or try it. that is why i posted my response. and thats all i will say. and i will not apologize for not seeing humor in something that is now a big disturbance for ME cuz of MY experiences.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 569
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2009 1:01:05 PM
"i once upon a time used to laugh "

From reading your post, I really find it hard to believe you ever were able to to that. I'm not a real doctor, but like I said before I do play one at the beer barn when I try and impress the women folk and I tell every one to laugh for good health. Give it a try.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?