Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 225
view profile
History
ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out? Page 19 of 34    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34)
I have ADD. My child does not.

I am on dexedrine (slow-release)..it doesn't "zombie" me out. I am actually able to function better with it. I'm more spaced without it because of the inattentiveness factor. (I don't have the physical hyperactivity)

I have noticed that red and yellow food dyes affect my kid's behavior. As does refined sugar. Diet is very important. Food allergies should be examined first. Only when everything else has been ruled out would I suggest medication. I would only consider meds if the ADHD was affecting my child in a negative way ie: schoolwork or social life. There is a lot more to treatment for ADHD than medication. Behavior modification is extremely important as is learning to utilize organizational techniques...and finally acceptance that ADD and ADHD seem to run parallel to creative abilities and enterpreneur-like qualities, people who think "outside the box". The important part is to foster the ADHD childs uniqueness but balance it with basic life skills. Here's the thing. I wasn't diagnosed until my thirties...those thirty years living with ADD were painful because I didn't know what was wrong. It affected my schooling, my social abilities and caused depression. My diagnoses and subsequent treatment plan has made a world of difference for me.

There is a lot of great info on the web about ADHD.

Peace
 ningonature
Msg: 228
ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?
Posted: 9/27/2007 8:14:40 AM
We're over medicating are kids, with drugs that are not tested enough for children.... Great site to check out..... www.newstarget.com
 Madrid62
Msg: 232
Posted: 10/11/2007 3:44:23 PM
Hi there,

Unfortunately, many kids and also adults get diagnosed with ADHD because many of the symptoms of Bipolar Disorder also mimick the symptoms of ADHD so a good child psychiatrist is a gret resource. The treatment for ADHD works for a while for children who are true bipolars but eventually the mood swings get stronger, the rages, and the anxiety increases. When the anxiety increases and irritability then the person becomes hyper and this is often confused with ADHD. ADHD and Bipolar disorder is very often hereditary. For more information you might try to go to this wonderful link www.thebipolarchild.com and read the newsletters, the "Bipolar Child" book is also a great resource. Often kids who are bipolar and given ADHD meds (amphetamine derivatives) develop worse symptoms with age and can become really psychotic and manic. Hope this information helps!!!
 TOSanderella
Msg: 237
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2007 3:41:28 AM
I totally agree with what you said. My son struggled for many years. I would have lists around the house giving him instructions for daily routines, because it was the only way for him to remember what he was supposed to be doing. It was the same routine every morning, get up, eat your breakfast, wash up, brush your teeth, get dressed. But he would sit there not knowing what to do. The lists helped.

One day I found him crying over his math. It was a page of math questions. He said the numbers were all jumping out at him and he couldn't do it. He had been working on it for over an hour and only had 2 questions done. I had to cover the entire page except for the one question he was working on. He finished it in 10 minutes after that.

He had a teacher who found that he could get his work done faster if he put him in the hall away from the other kids. Not all teachers are like that though.

It took a while before the doctor gave me a prescription, but let me tell you, life for him became normal! He didn't need the lists everywhere. I could tell him 3 things I wanted him to do, and they would get done, without any reminders. He was able to do his school work without being a distraction or without having any distractions. The best thing is that his school marks improved. He not a zombie at all, in fact when he graduated from grade 8 he was voted most likely to host the Emmy's. He is funny, athletic, outgoing, and if you weren't told that he was on meds, you'd never know.
 singlemaninMD
Msg: 243
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2007 4:45:13 PM
Fish,
I have been trying to convince my ex and her doctor this is the case. I have scoured the web and not come up with any credible diet plan. Do you have any suggestions.

Alos, it is NOT a cop out. My son and I are the same. WE have been tested and our minds are almost twice as active as the norm. We are both very smart and he gets great grades except when he is not made to sit and do his homework forcefully. Mom has thrown in the towel and we get our first D this period. Basically all due to incomplete homework. I need help as she refuses to let him change residences as the big money evaporates. I offered to pay half, but I need money to support tutors/sitters until I get home as well as food, clothes, etc if he moved here. I want him to succeed and having no real influence directly is frustrating!
 WinnipegStormchild
Msg: 248
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2007 9:01:40 AM
One of my sons was diagnosed as A.D.H.D. with emphasise on the attention disorder..
This dianoses was made only after hours of testing by a occupational therapist and his pediatrician. He was placed on low dose medication.. we tried it for a year.. must be honest his school work improved but the side effect was that his appitite decreased to the point where he was not growing properly, suffice to say I took him of the meds..
He is in High school now.. still has a sever reading problem.. and problems with a school that really doesnt understand that he does have the condition and that he won't be placed on meds..
I think that there are truely some children that have the condition.. like my son that have only been diagnosed after complete testing..
I also believe that there are a bunch of kids that have been miss diagnosed, and placed on pills that the have no buisness being on..
Some children have naturally high energy and instead of pills would be better off if parents would remove sugar from the diets and get them outside doing some organised sport so that energy could be put to some good use.
well thats my two cents worth..
 WinnipegStormchild
Msg: 250
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2007 8:22:01 PM
Not every child with these conditions has to be placed on meds ... some children can succeed with out the medication given the proper diets and support ..
My son was on medication for a year... the affect were such sever suppressed appitite that it put him approx .. 2 years behind in growth.. and that was on a extremely mild dose of the meds..
My son does well in all classes that require hands on.. power mechanics, welding , carpentry, he also scores above 95 percent in all maths..
Children with some forms of A.D.D. do not have to be on meds.. what the need is support both from home and school..
As I stated his school staff does not have the experience in dealing with a child with his A.D.D. .. if they did I would not be the one having to educate them on helping him succeed..
I am glad that you found what was needed for your child ... just as I have found what was needed for mine... every child is different and cannot be grouped together .. each is an individual and needs a course of action or treatment , specifically designed for each individual child.
 singlemaninMD
Msg: 272
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2008 9:46:04 PM
Look into your school systems' programs. Many have a new program which allows the adhd child to get special help and take longer to do work. You have to apply. My son is ADHD and gets good grades and tests very very high. So high he is enrolled in grade seven in a program through college to start ACT, SAT tests etc... He gets lower grades (b"s and an occasional c) as he cannot focus to do homework and Mom is apparently too busy to see it gets done.

They flat out denied our request due to his grades. We wanted to see he achieves his maximum potential but the school feels his grades are good enough and denied the request. Nothing like paying in tens of thousands in taxes and the only service you wish to access they deny. School is about nediocrity at best not striving for the best they can be! So sad.

You may have a shot if kid is in classes and c's & d's. Good luck.
 WayTo South
Msg: 289
Posted: 10/12/2009 4:57:34 PM
The problem with medications is that the medical establishment has started treating them like cures and not the band-aid they are. While I do believe in medication for ADD children (my son is on medication for ADD), there needs to also be significant time teaching children to use their gift as opposed to it using them.

As I child I was diagnosed with ADD and spent many hours in special ed (that horrible banned place in most school systems now) being taught how to use my ADD. The problem now is that special ed teaching is not available to children and parents aren't trained in the methods to teach those skills. Without those classes I am sure that I would have become a problem child and adult heading for jail.

What I have now is trained ADD...which is a gift! I have had up to 10 IM's and four computer programs going at once, a degree in physics, and multi-tasking skills that are unreal. So it is a gift....not a problem. Teaching children to use their gift is the answer...not covering it up with medications because nobody knows how to deal with it. Sadly that is the reality a lot of kids see today...parents who don't know to deal with ADD and school systems that have had their hands tied to deal with it.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 291
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2009 12:57:15 PM
I think this post and the "Does this change your mind about spanking your child?"
post should be looked at together and see if there is a good way to spank the ADHD and ADD right out of the kids that act the way they do. I think you can spank the ADHD right out of most kids. I am not a real doctor, but a do play one down at the beer barn when I am trying to pick up the chicks there. I think my spanking cure should be tried before the drugs.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 297
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2009 4:06:40 AM
"Freetime2bme, even if this is a joke it is not at all funny" "You disgust me."
"cuz of what some STUPID idiot like you "

With that kind of an out look no wounder your son now suffers from PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). May be you can spank that out of him too. If you don't see the hummor this time get your self back into the therapy.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 300
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2009 1:01:05 PM
"i once upon a time used to laugh "

From reading your post, I really find it hard to believe you ever were able to to that. I'm not a real doctor, but like I said before I do play one at the beer barn when I try and impress the women folk and I tell every one to laugh for good health. Give it a try.
 licoricecat_1
Msg: 303
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2009 9:51:29 PM
I am RN, BSN and know all about bipolar and ADHD. My son was dx with ADHD at 3 yrs old. He definitely had this. However, Dr's do overdiagnose people with labels and the pharmaceutical companies make more and more drugs to fit the label. The Dr's oftentimes have stock in the drug companies. The video, "Making a Killing" has documented stories about this and the Billions$ that is being made daily and we the American people are the ginny pigs and so are our children. Most of these conditions are real. Most of them are genetic. Most of them could be helped immensely through diet. Vegan Diet. Get rid of the meat (filled with hormones and garbage) pesticides (so eat organic and raw), red dyes, food coloring, processed foods, white sugar and white flour, etc. Eat instead vegetables and fruits, nuts (if not allergic) oatmeal, grains, sprouts, seeds, etc. Get child tested for allergies first to rule out any. Read Living Foods Lifestyle book by Brenda Cobb and Hallejuah Diet by George Malkmus and you will understand more what I am talking about. American Food is deficient in nutrition and kills your cells causing all sorts of health problems and the drugs we take continues to weaken our cells .
 licoricecat_1
Msg: 304
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2009 9:57:53 PM
Want to add to not take child off med's, but do change their eating habits to nutritious eating and then maybe you will not need to give them med's or may be able to lessen them. Ask Dr. first. Get them on healthy eating and then see the change. Then ask Dr. about decreasing med's or maybe totally not need it anymore. Kids with ADHD are very impulsive and do not think of the consequences of their behaviors. Later on they could be violent, get into trouble of all sorts. They also have difficult time focusing.
 gentleplus
Msg: 306
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2009 8:42:49 PM
Daily doses of the nutritional suppliment GABA is a wonderful and very effective alternative to meds for children and adults
 packagedealx3
Msg: 307
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2009 9:26:19 AM

Ok one thing I never understood since I have a few nephews that supposedly have ADHD and/or ADD. If kids have a hard time focusing why is it that the only time they have the focus issue in is when they are doing something they don’t like to do? They can focus very well when playing games but not when they are studding. They can behave very well when they know that they would get spanked if they don’t behave. Their memory is fantastic when it comes down to girls phone numbers, what was the score in the 1969 World Series while being born in 90’s. They can remember the names of every NFL player but not the ABC’s.

Do some reading on this disorder and you will get it, doesn't make it easier to live with at times but it is what it is. Just like other people, people are interested in what they like to do but with my daughter, she loves history so if she is having a particularly bad day, even though she would normally be engaged she cannot manage it.
 gentleplus
Msg: 311
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2009 1:03:00 PM
In my life the solution without drugs???? GABA 500 mg 3-6x daily, DHEA 50 mg daily, MACA 200 mg daily.... U will feel totally different in ur mind with zero drug effects.... these will feed ur body to do what it knows to do not force it to behave as with a mind altering drug.... good luck!!!!
 gentleplus
Msg: 312
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2012 7:28:13 AM
Is there any new discussions on this topic?????
 Debyduz_
Msg: 313
Posted: 7/15/2012 10:49:47 AM
ADD and ADHD is not a cop out. The pills won't work if the child doesn't have it. If the child doesn't have ADHD all the pills do is make them hyper. If a child has it and they are zombielike meds and or doses need to be changed. In order to get on the meds a child should have a proper evaluation. Evaluation includes surveys from teachers, parents and daycare workers. then they are evaluated by "Child psychiatrists and psychologists, developmental or behavioral pediatricians, or behavioral neurologists are those most often trained in differential diagnoses. Clinical social workers may also have such training."

I have son who is now 19 and has extreme ADHD, Asperger's, Bipolar(that can be diagnosed before 18), Anxiety Disorder and Depression. I know it is not a cop out in our case. You will very like see many members of a family with similar disorder it can be genetic. You will also see step families with similar disorder because having a ADHD child is very difficult and the parent would be attracted to each because they understand.

I have seen people who are cop outs because they don't deal with their children. I will assure that the ADHD meds don't work if they don't have it.

The conditions are mostly on what they call Spectrum disorders. You will find overlap in diagnoses and that diagnoses change as child ages. The symptoms difficult to separate in younger children. Our son was diagnosed with extreme ADHD at age 2 and we started meds at age 5. The meds made a positive change for him and made life easier for him.

You will also get different opinions from different doctors. Some doctor don't believe in the meds. That is a disservice to the child. We disagree with out son's shrink about the bipolar.

Please try to be understanding with your friend and offer support if it is possible. Many friends disappear when children's behavior is bad. It can be a hard lonely life.
 meowkatt2012
Msg: 314
Posted: 7/16/2012 9:45:19 PM
The jails are full of ppl w add who needed to be on ritalin. It is a real thing. It's not just a wild child. It interferes with their ability to learn . And if you can't learn you can't work. Its a serious problem.
 gentleplus
Msg: 315
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 12:58:45 PM
I found the best medicine for me was a nutritional called GABA ...3000 mg daily in divided doses
 bamagrl68
Msg: 316
Posted: 7/17/2012 5:43:31 PM
jessika2908- I don't think people should be quick to judge unless they have experienced something themselves.
I am a nurse and a mom and it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine for people to say what other people should or should not do with their kids, especially medical issues.
Add/adhd is very real.
My brother was diagnosed in the 70's when it was fairly unheard of.
He was given medication, but eventually refused to take it and ended up getting in trouble all the time and dropped out of school.
Btw-they don't give Ritalin anymore, but there are drugs that are still given that are very similar to it chemically.
Add/adhd is more common in boys and no one is sure why, it is also common for more than one child to be diagnosed with it in the same family, which tells me it is genetic.
Both of my boys have it. My oldest son has adhd and my youngest has add.
I didn't want my sons to have this, I didn't want to medicate them.
I would NOT put my oldest son on it until I tried everything else, no foods with red die, a diet log, allergy testing you name it, I did it. Medication was a LAST resort.
He repeated the decision my brother made and refused to take it anymore at 14, he quit school at 16.
Eventually he got his GED and is now a chef, so things worked out, but it was HARD.
My youngest son is on a medication that is low dose and time release. When he was first diagnosed, I tried again to modify his diet, all the rest, to no avail.
Once he was on medicine, he was able to sit still and concentrate, he went from having an IEP plan for children with learning issues to a gifted program, his reading scores almost doubled.
As a parent, you do what is best for your child.
If you aren't one or haven't experienced such issues, you have NO basis to finger point!
 calimamma05
Msg: 317
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 11:03:27 PM
I myself have childrens, twins exactly, who were both diagnosed with ADHD. There is family history on both my and my twins's fathers side for ADHD. I have ADD and their father has ADHD> My son's behavior and grade have improved dramatically in the past year. My daughter's has also inproved.

It is possible that these meds do work. Just as long as the prescription is right for the child.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 318
Posted: 7/18/2012 1:11:25 AM
cop out. my dad tells me a story of when he was a kid spacing out in class like he often did, and the teacher came around and slapped him in the hand really hard with a ruler to snap him out of it. dad says he paid attention in that class from that point on.

im not condoning teaching beating our children, but nowadays my father would probably be diagnosed with ADD and medicated. turns out a slap on the hand was all it took to cure his disorder.

i think our society is too quick to run to medication as the answer to all our problems.
 gothicgirl86
Msg: 319
Posted: 7/25/2012 6:00:45 PM
My son is ADHD and is medicated to get through school but he is in no way zombified. The meds just take the edge off so they can actually settled down alot better. If my son don't take his meds, he goes non stop.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >