Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dewkiss31
Msg: 26
ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out? Page 2 of 34    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34)
too jess's question my daughter is now showing signs of ADHD I have been working with the school to keep her off meds we are going to try the herbal form for helping with ADHD (which did not help my son unfourtunatly) But I am doing everything I can to keep her off the meds. I am ADHD and so is the kids Father. I think it is more hereditary, Yes I see more boys with this problem than girls I am getting a book on ADHD to try more things but I feel that every aspect has been tried with my son and I am hoping that we won't need to do that with my daughter. I also know that with extra stimilation that can also cause problems with ADHD kids. I hope this answers some questions
 jessika2908
Msg: 27
ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?
Posted: 11/13/2005 3:47:25 PM
Just a suggestion take them off anything that has red dye # 5 I think in it.
 cotter
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2005 5:44:04 PM
Jess .... red dye has nothing to do with it.

even the boys on summer vacation would not do go without the medicine (sometimes parents will good off the meds in the summer).

And that's understandable ... children do not need a break from the medication in summer ... giving them a break just gives them back the "feeling" of having ADHD. I'm telling you it breaks my heart to visualize any child having to go through with that day in and day out. I copied it below.

How would any of us feel with something going on like that in your head every waking moment?

THE FEELING OF HAVING ADHD

Having ADHD is like being put into a dark room with things scattered around to trip you. You don't get a flashlight ..... but everyone else does. You trip around the room, bumping into things, until you finally learn the layout of the room. Then someone moves you to a new room, and the process starts again.

It's like having a whirlwind in your mind. Everything seems to be blowing around and nothing stays put. Some people have compared the feeling to watching someone change the channels on the TV every few seconds. You can get a general idea of what is going on, but you miss most of the content.

People with ADHD tend to be "socially blind". They may miss rules and structures which other people see much more readily.
 sereneroosta
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/13/2005 6:08:08 PM
I have had ADD my whole life, I was off medication from the ages of 17 to 35, and I can tell you from experience its not a cop out of anything like that. My life was a mess when I wasn't on meds and now I can hold a good job and actually have some self esteem. Most people don't understand it because the medications they give normal people don't affect us the same way. it is a chemical imbalance and cant be disiplined away or taken care of by diet or anything else. I hope this helps, careful diagnosis is the key, as is having an expert in the field dothe diagnosis..............
 jessika2908
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/13/2005 6:19:37 PM
Cotter some kids are alergic to red dyes me for one and it can masks the side effects of adhd or add. If you check out my previous posts I think maybe my 2nd or 3rd it will tell you what happened when I was a child.
 OverIt50
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/13/2005 6:45:39 PM
Yo, dv8471, you do have ADD/ADHD. Sorry to break it to you. You can deny it all you want but you wouldn't have been kicked out of schools and gotten into all that trouble if you didn't. If I'm wrong, what did you have? All you did was grow out of it like many do and put other people through a lot of hell because you didn't want to admit you had the syndrome.

And that's what it is. A syndrome. It's not a disease, it's a collection of naturally occurring characteristics that prevent those afflicted from successfully integrating into their peer group. Does that sound familiar to you? It's not like cancer or scabbies or ingrown hairs, it's a collection of characteristics and you had them. You probably still do. Just because you claim not to need the medication doesn't mean it won't do you any good even now.

So, for a 22-year-old to start telling all us parents/patients that you know better 'cuz you're brilliant and got into schools that accept students that average 85 is a crock. Those doctors were basing their educational predictions on the schools they went to that allowed them to be doctors diagnosing wise ass know-it-alls. Grow up.

To all: can you tell me of a quality university that accepts students with B averages? I really need to find one for some not-so-good students I know.
 kayleesdaddy
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/13/2005 7:15:14 PM
adhd is over rated they say they cant keep thier attention well its because there to smart and BORED with what is going on present the child with a challenging task and see what happens my 2 yr old was diagnosed with it her physcologist threw a fit and showed the docs up he had her counting to 20 and saying her abc...s then she drew a stick figure of her daddy (me) the docs were profounded give them challenges not a future of drugs my deepest concerns dale
 OverIt50
Msg: 33
Posted: 11/13/2005 8:26:19 PM
Kaleesdaddy,

I sure hope your daughter doesn't have it. She's as cute as a button and looks smart as a whip, too.

I've met doctors who won't examine for ADD/ADHD/OCD etc until the kid is of school age. Why was she examined? Is she not sleeping? hurting herself? If she's OK, then just go on with your lives until there's a problem. No need to look for trouble.

ADHD is not over-rated. I just hope you never have to find that out.

Good luck to you and your daughter. If trouble finds you, we'er here.
 cotter
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2005 9:37:54 PM
Jess ... sorry if I missed that ... my bad ... I didn't realize where you were coming from with that. I thought you were talking about the "red dye" being in the actual medication.

Shakti ...

If your doctor is not doing the scans and just wants to hand out prescriptions ... and does not recommend therapy sessions accompany the medication therapy, then get another opinion.

I hate to sound morbid ... just hope nothing happens to you like what happened to me and the death of my son. ADHD children occasionally seek their own solutions when parents won't listen or help ... in my case it was my ex-husband who would not listen.

Since our children are not scientifically qualified to "self medicate" they sometimes make mistakes ... mistakes like my son made. That's all I really care to say about his death right now.

The effects, however are tragic and devasting.
 OverIt50
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/14/2005 5:48:10 AM
Shakti,

All the alphabet soup psychological conditions are syndromes and not real, actual diseases per se. The main thing is to control the behaviors that are impeding your child from participating in class successfully. Whatever it takes, even if it's a placebo, should be considered. At first, I didn't want to drug my sons either but one of the psychologists pointed me to the body of research that has found that these kids do a lot worse later in life if they are are not treated successfully at this stage.

You touched on something that I find puzzling. I'm a scientist, not involved in the pharma business, who wonders why it is that people think vitamins can have therapeutic effects other than to ease specific metabolic problems. Vitamins are enzymes that aid, not cause, beneficial reactions to take place in your body. And it's only because our bodies can't make them on their own that they are vitamins. All the other enzymes you need are manufactured inside you. Such as that is, I hate to inform you, vitamins will NOT address a problem of neurotransmitter imbalance such as ADD/ADHD/OCD/ODD/etc. Try it but don't spend too much money on supervitamins. If this guy tells you that your kid needs 3000 IU of vitamin x, get the cheap brand. All your body sees is the molecule anyway. It doesn't care if it came from a test tube or the thymus of the rare Sumatran camel.

I also find it fascinating that people don't trust the pharma industry which is regulated up the wazoo by the government and is constantly challenged in court but they do trust vitamin and other "dietary supplement" charlatans who are completely unregulated and are shifty enough to avoid litigation, for the most part. Occassionally, you'll see a huckster prosecuted then start wailing about how the government wants to shut them up. It is to cry.

Good luck. I hope you can control your children's behavior in a manner that is comfortable to you. But, please, get them treated before their self-esteem nosedives.
 dewkiss31
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/15/2005 9:36:04 AM
I just hope that someday this problem will be whiped out like any other illness I wish our school wern't so quick to get these kids on these drugs so they can "control" classrooms I wish the ppl would relize that our socity is quick to judge and quick to shun. I wish that life could be more peaceful and that more ppl were careing. MAbey someday it will but for now we have to deal with what we are delt in life and ADHD and ADD are one of the many plauges in our socity today good luck to the ones who have to deal with it everyday and to the ones who don't I am glad that this did not hit your door step good luck to all.
 cotter
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2005 5:28:46 PM
Golf God

A lot of work on my part goes into it.

Yes ... this is what goes on in the therapy sessions. It's also the reason I enrolled my son in the Karate lessons and the square dance lessons. It's good practice for them to try to train their brains for focusing at least 20 minutes at a time, then increasing the focusing intervals as you see success.

We do that in order to empower these people (young and old) so that if they run into a point where the medication is not helping or even just run out of medication, they have some help.

We have some mild cases where the people don't need to be medicated continuously, however occasionally go for help during times when they need to focus, focus, focus. This is common among some college students when trying to study for and taking their final exams.

Of course, they only get the medication because they can prove their history of ADHD and then only enough medication to help them through that time frame. After that, they go back to just doing their "focusing exercises" that are taught in therapy.
 OverIt50
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/19/2005 4:22:37 PM
Artandsoul,

You've given your opinion this way three times now on this thead alone. You've opined that the current medical thrust behind the treatment of ADD and ADHD is pseudoscience and have used Dr. Phil as your be-all-and-end-all for your beliefs. By the way, here's a link to the webpage Dr. Phil has on ADD. http://drphil.com/articles/article/150/ I can't see that he agrees with your position at all. Maybe you can point it out to me?

I'm a scientist. I've read the literature. Could you tell me specifically where it is wrong? Where is the pseudoscience? The great majority of test performed that back up the medical treatment of Asberger's/ADD/ADHD/OPD kids were properly run, double-blinded tests reported in peer-reviewed journals sanctioned by the AMA and APA. So where is it? I can't find it.

BTW, do you "discipline" your chihuahua when it gets too feisty? No? Why not? Somebody has to teach that dog how to act, yes? Give it hell. You know where I'm going with this, don't you?

So, please give us some tangible evidence why we should deep-six the current treatment regimen for these kids and brutalize them the way we did in the past.
 cotter
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2005 5:55:57 PM
^^^^ Correct ... not all ADHD children qualify to need medication ... often we can reach them through stimulating them with appropriate therapy. During the teen years when few of the available medications seem to work, we often have nothing but the therapy to fall back on.

As "Fun and Flirty" pointed out:

MOST parents wouldn't wish this on anyone. And I'm pretty sure that most parents research the hell out of this before deciding on treatment.

Thank you "Fun" for repeating that for us ... it was appreciated!
 Divorcednlkn
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:10:20 PM
douglajl maybe you need your ass busted. I spend tons of time with my son. He is ADDH and he is taken meds for that as well for astma. He is not a zombie. He has more concentration and a few less volient outburst. Do you even have kids?
 Divorcednlkn
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/19/2005 7:32:06 PM
I don't believe such thing as ADD or ADHD exist. It is just society that affects children as well as how they are brought up that might bring about certain behaviour pattern. But it doesn't mean to take pills and put your whole body in dishormany

what you said really upsetted me. I have been raising my son alone since he was 15 months. I keep him away from sugar and bad cartoons. He knows he can't have sugar so he gives his trick or treat candy to his cousins, because I won't let him have it. When he goes to a birthday party I make sure that he eats before he goes because then he won't want cake and ice cream. I spend time with him and read to and with him. His first outburst was when he was 2 and he dropped kicked his sister cause she wouldn't give her pillow up. I have tried timeouts, spankings, corner, taken away toys, and put to bed early. I tried everything. After 3 years of testing and theropy I finally decided to put him on something. He started on Nov 3, 2005. He is on Adderall XR. No major changes yet, but his teacher did say he stopped playing around so much at school. He is not sleeping all day and he doesn't have any bad side affect. I had to put him on something because he pulled out my shoulder and I fear for him. I don't want him to turn out like his father. His father is so messed up and I want the best for my son. So I will put him on meds. The meds take 3 to 4 weeks to build up to help, so I will let you know how it goes.
 Rocknrob
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2005 9:07:49 PM
Tell them to check out a book called "Why won't my child behave". Also check into a group called Fiengold. I have one child that we thought was ADD, when we heard of this book and after reading we found that all 6 of our kids and my ex have reactions to dyes and perservatives. What a difference and a life saver this discovery has been.
 OverIt50
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/19/2005 10:45:06 PM
Medicine is full of bad science, Rocknrob.

You had a good experience with this? It might not be due to the "dyes and perservatives [sic]" that your children were consuming. This diet works sometimes due to the fact that the whole family has to maintain a strict regimented lifestyle. This is much like some affected children respond to the establishment of a strictly-enforced routine.

Beware of anyone making blanket statements about common substances or phenomena causing widespread malaise. If there is ever any basis to these claims at all, it's based on very sparse data such as Feingold used. Don't get me wrong, Feingold based his recommendations on what he observed but the population he personally treated was such a minute fraction of all hyperactives, he really should not have jumped to the conclusions he did. That's bad science. Nevertheless, his regimen seems to work for a small number of patients so it's worth using in those cases. Let's face it, there are lots of people walking around today that have been cured with placebos.

I've tried taking my kids off sugar, foods with dyes, etc., to no avail. If it worked for you, that's wonderful but your experience is not universal.

For a moderating opinion, see:
http://consensus.nih.gov/1982/1982DietHyperactivity032html.htm

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/feingold.html

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/66/4/521

http://curry.edschool.virginia.edu/sped/projects/ose/information/hypersugar.html
 cotter
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2005 5:04:17 AM

Let's face it, there are lots of people walking around today that have been cured with placebos.

And there are lots of people who have continued problems who did not get the help they needed because people close their minds to the possibility that a problem exists.
 skisnobound
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/23/2005 9:54:28 PM
My daughter is 5 and in full day kindergarden. She is also Type 1 Diabetic. She had several out bursts in classes and the school staff immediatly decided she was ADHD. Wanted me to get her checked and on meds. I refused. She has enough going on right now with finger pokes and shots, she doesn't need anymore. So I told the school that next time she has these "outbursts" to check her sugars. Guess what, she was having minor sugar crashes. And at 5 she can't always express that something just isn't right. The teacher was torked that I wouldn't put her on meds, oh well my child not yours. Figured out why she was crashing and gave her more food at snacks, haven't had a "outburst" since. Just goes to show, the school doesn't always know what's up. Oh I have ADHD (among other things) and I take meds everyday, my brother is extremely ADHD and takes meds too. I can function without the meds, but I'm better when I'm on.
 Guitarmanou812
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/24/2005 2:37:35 PM
Cop out.

Meds kill!

Some kids just need more ass whippings than others.
 Guitarmanou812
Msg: 47
Posted: 11/24/2005 7:09:01 PM
The candida diet is good for everyone. What a great post.
Im on a similar diet myself. Cured my GERD, and my fat butt!
I now carry no extra weight.
 CaringClownfish
Msg: 48
Posted: 11/24/2005 7:36:46 PM
That is interesting input paradisequeen. I worked with autistic children and one family put their child on a special diet somewhat similar to what you are talking about. It was known to drastically diminish symptoms of the disorder in children. It doesn't surprise me to hear that diet modifications can also be beneficial to individuals with ADD/ADHD.

However, I do agree with what others on this thread have mentioned about meds.....What I think it REALLY comes down to is that each situation IS different and one needs to determine if medication is necessary, what medication is necessary, and how much medication should be taken in THEIR particular situation.

I think a holistic approach that involves a combination of behavioral modification/therapy, diet and medication can be extremely beneficial and produce maximum results.
 OverIt50
Msg: 49
Posted: 11/25/2005 12:35:45 AM
All who think that neurotransmitter imbalance is caused by diet should return to the local high school biology class for a refresher. Have you any idea how drop-dead easy it would be to spot this solution if it were real? Do you think that no one tracks endemic changes in epidemiology and would not notice a causal relationship between any product and disease patterns?

Listen, for all who believe that they've found a diet that somehow miraculously cured/alleviated symptoms of psychosis, good for you but just keep walking. Yes, diets have been found to help many diseases based on chemical imbalances in the body (gout, arthirtis, etc.) but these are well understook and are not based on shotgun, hokus-pokus theories. Don't present these strategies to others as tried-and-true science unless you can also post references detailing the research that establishes mode-of-action, epidemiology, or even the idiopathic statistics of occurence. Most of these miracle solutions vanish into thin air once researchers perform classical epidemiological investigations into the regimen to see if they really hold water.

More information:
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candida.html

It is soooo easy to propose off-the-wall theories and even justify them with anecdotal/testimonial information and leave it at that. Maybe if these people were forced to take the proceeds from recommending these alternatives (books, fees) to proving that these programs are epidemiologically valid, we'd see fewer and fewer of these programs. Instead, these panaceas are pedalled to a public who believe MD or Ph.D. means the speaker must know what they're talking about which leaves real scientists to break the bad news later on after long hours of expensive research, usually on the backs fo taxpayers.
 Goresh
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2005 4:41:25 AM
Personally I believe ADD and ADHD are real diseases and in some cases medication is the only viable treatment, even if it is sometimes only to give the parents a respite. If the parents break under the strain, the outcome for the child is worse than the medication.

I do think however that many parents and doctors turn to a medical solution long before other more appropriate solutions are attempted.

Greg
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?