Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sarahbecca814
Msg: 635
ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out? Page 30 of 34    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34)
my outlook has nothing to do with my son's trauma disorder. post traumatic stress disorder is a result to having a life threatening experience, or anything that the person perceives as a life threatening experience. i once upon a time used to laugh about phrases like that or maybe even used them myself (ex:"i'm gonna strangle this child). of course in no way do i think that everyone who says things like this will then act upon it but when you are giving advice or suggestions to millions of people there is a chance someone will take it literally or try it. that is why i posted my response. and thats all i will say. and i will not apologize for not seeing humor in something that is now a big disturbance for ME cuz of MY experiences.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 636
view profile
History
ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?
Posted: 10/15/2009 1:01:05 PM
"i once upon a time used to laugh "

From reading your post, I really find it hard to believe you ever were able to to that. I'm not a real doctor, but like I said before I do play one at the beer barn when I try and impress the women folk and I tell every one to laugh for good health. Give it a try.
 Sarahbecca814
Msg: 637
Posted: 10/15/2009 7:24:19 PM
please if you are gonna quote me please quote the whole part of what i said. I said i used to laugh at using such phrases because before my son got seriously hurt by someone basically acting out what alot of people say lightly or jokingly, i was able to take things like that in a different perspective. our perspectives and associations change with our life experiences.
 dolphinlvr36
Msg: 638
Posted: 10/15/2009 8:54:03 PM
[They can focus very well when playing games but not when they are studding. They can behave very well when they know that they would get spanked if they don’t behave. Their memory is fantastic when it comes down to girls phone numbers, what was the score in the 1969 World Series while being born in 90’s. They can remember the names of every NFL player but not the ABC’s. It seems a little convenient that a child’s disease some how is a problem when they walk into a school. Then we have our school teachers that for some reason can’t seem to teach our kids to read or write but yet they have a medical degree for a disease that their is no real test for except for some questions and observation of behavior. If we were not talking about kids and ADHD & ADD what would anyone think of teachers and schools? And let me say I respect teachers and the hard work they do but we have a big problem in this country today with incompetence in our schools. I really do feel that most of the kids have a diseases called Lack of discipline compile with boredom that is contracted by spending to much time in building infected with incompetence. ]

i guess you didn't notice what i talked about in my post above. ADHD kids can most certainly focus in certain situations and not others, just like people with depression can be unhappy in some situations, and not others.

In terms of the whole school thing? Wow...such strong words. Do you have children in school? If so, do you take part in their education, not just rely on their teacher's to teach them without parental support? It's a team effort between the student, teacher, and family. We have too much to teach in one day to also "so called" diagnose kids, not to mention try to teach them in a world with which we have to compete with.
 staceyssc
Msg: 639
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2009 7:42:31 PM
I have 2 kids with ADHD and 1 with ADD. They are not on meds and after a lot of study I think most kids dont need meds. It is very real though. There are all different degrees as well. Some can cope with simple exercises, some need a special diet or natural remedies, but don't let uninformed idiots tell you no kid needs meds for this. I have an adopted brother who is 6 yrs old. His ADHD is so bad that at 2 the drs thought he was autistic. My stepmother spent 4 years and probably a fortune trying diets, holistic drs, naturopaths, and studying every natural cure known to man. Her and my father are wonderful parents and I know that discipline is not the issue - no problems with the 5 yr old they adopted either. When she finally gave in (he was not even capable of attending school) and put him on concerta, he was fine. The only person who didn't do well with the meds was my stepmother. She had been convinced that this was a copout and that she was drugging her child. The people who say ADHD doesn't exist made her feel like a failure. The quality of life improved for him as well as everyone around him and he is able to learn. These are not "zombie pills". They are not meant to sedate the child, but to help them focus. If it turns your kid into a zombie, they are on the wrong med for them or the dosage is not correct.
 staceyssc
Msg: 640
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2009 7:51:26 PM
I just wanted to add that untreated ADHD is very dagerous. These kids can get violent, run into traffic, jump into water that;s to deep, etc, etc, etc. For teens it is worse - look up statisitics on ADHD and car accidents, suicide, etc, etc. Nobody should try to make parents or educators feel guilty for trying to get kids help when it is needed. Yes the medication is abused - what medication isn't? Parents should try other alternatives first, but in the end do what is best for the child - not what a bunch of uninformed people who have never dealt with this think is best.
 licoricecat_1
Msg: 641
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2009 9:51:29 PM
I am RN, BSN and know all about bipolar and ADHD. My son was dx with ADHD at 3 yrs old. He definitely had this. However, Dr's do overdiagnose people with labels and the pharmaceutical companies make more and more drugs to fit the label. The Dr's oftentimes have stock in the drug companies. The video, "Making a Killing" has documented stories about this and the Billions$ that is being made daily and we the American people are the ginny pigs and so are our children. Most of these conditions are real. Most of them are genetic. Most of them could be helped immensely through diet. Vegan Diet. Get rid of the meat (filled with hormones and garbage) pesticides (so eat organic and raw), red dyes, food coloring, processed foods, white sugar and white flour, etc. Eat instead vegetables and fruits, nuts (if not allergic) oatmeal, grains, sprouts, seeds, etc. Get child tested for allergies first to rule out any. Read Living Foods Lifestyle book by Brenda Cobb and Hallejuah Diet by George Malkmus and you will understand more what I am talking about. American Food is deficient in nutrition and kills your cells causing all sorts of health problems and the drugs we take continues to weaken our cells .
 licoricecat_1
Msg: 642
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2009 9:57:53 PM
Want to add to not take child off med's, but do change their eating habits to nutritious eating and then maybe you will not need to give them med's or may be able to lessen them. Ask Dr. first. Get them on healthy eating and then see the change. Then ask Dr. about decreasing med's or maybe totally not need it anymore. Kids with ADHD are very impulsive and do not think of the consequences of their behaviors. Later on they could be violent, get into trouble of all sorts. They also have difficult time focusing.
 Janewantstarzan
Msg: 643
Posted: 10/22/2009 10:00:52 PM

Why is it that every time some talks about spanking or discipline there is mostly some woman that comes up with some sorry ass story about some kid getting his head kicked in.
It is never a 'sorry ass story' when someone brings to light abuse of a child! When even one child is abused that is one to many! You could be a little more tasteful in your wording!
 Lady Seinu
Msg: 644
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2009 4:43:31 PM
From my own personal experience, disorders are a cop out for me (and I will explain why), although they may not be for others. Every situation is different... however, I don't believe we should have our children on medication unless every other option has failed. Kids go through a lot of stages, teenagers have a lot of issues due to hormonal changes. It's perfectly natural for children and teenagers to be distracted, stressed, depressed... all of the above.

At any rate, I was once that kid on ritalin, the kid with ADD... I was also the teenager with "borderline-personality-disorder" which is slightly more extreme than bi-polar disorder. I was on Lexapro, Adderall, and Depakote as a teenager... I can openly admit, I was a rotten teenager. I acted out, got into trouble, I was severly despressed, suicidal... all that fun crap. Any way, I was on ALL these medications and still acting up (this all happened when I was 14-17)... if anything, I probably got worse, my doctors kept upping the dose, swithing things around. I was even put in a Behavorial Center for a week. Anyway, when I was just barely 17, my mom finally threw in the towl... she was tired of spending the money on medications that did nothing and was at the end of her rope with me. She cut me off from the meds and after about six months started seeing improvements with me.

In the end, I believe the medicine (especially the Depakote... I have not met one person yet who has taken that medication and has told me it did any good for them), did more harm than good. I can't even remember half of the stuff I did in those years that I was on that medication and it's been less than five years since! It also made me eat like a pig... and I gained about sixty pounds because of it. I think, especially in my scenario, the more the doctors diagnosed, the more I had convinced myself that something was wrong with me! It gave me the EXCUSE to act out. And my mom finally said enough's enough, cut me off, and left me alone because she didn't know what else to do with me at that point, that was when I "sobered up" so to speak and began maturing a little. I put my depression to somewhat of an end with a mind-over-matter sort of attitude. Don't get me wrong, I still get VERY depressed every once in a while but I can pull myself through it without the help of medication and I'm certainly not suicidal anymore and I don't speak with a doctor either (although there's nothing wrong with seeing a social worker, that's just my personal choice).

But of course, every person is different, every case is different. To me, disorders ARE a cop-out. They don't exhist with me. I've learned to over-come them with my own tactics, by constant optimism. I have a very strong will-power that you can't find in a lot of individuals. But anyway, I don't think I would ever want my daughter on medications unless it was a last resort and nothing else worked.
 gentleplus
Msg: 645
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2009 8:42:49 PM
Daily doses of the nutritional suppliment GABA is a wonderful and very effective alternative to meds for children and adults
 packagedealx3
Msg: 646
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2009 9:26:19 AM

Ok one thing I never understood since I have a few nephews that supposedly have ADHD and/or ADD. If kids have a hard time focusing why is it that the only time they have the focus issue in is when they are doing something they don’t like to do? They can focus very well when playing games but not when they are studding. They can behave very well when they know that they would get spanked if they don’t behave. Their memory is fantastic when it comes down to girls phone numbers, what was the score in the 1969 World Series while being born in 90’s. They can remember the names of every NFL player but not the ABC’s.

Do some reading on this disorder and you will get it, doesn't make it easier to live with at times but it is what it is. Just like other people, people are interested in what they like to do but with my daughter, she loves history so if she is having a particularly bad day, even though she would normally be engaged she cannot manage it.
 daydreamin_honey
Msg: 647
Posted: 11/21/2009 7:43:24 PM
In the particular case you mentioned OP, I would vote for cop-out. They should have seen the signs/symptoms much earlier on if those were actually present.
But I DESPISE being told my son doesn't have ADHD, that he's fine and i'm just trying to medicate him. My son's father still has rather severe ADHD as an adult and our pediatrician suggested when my son was clearly showing symptoms that it's possible his father's strand was age-resistant and that it's more common in boys. But they refuse to diagnose til the age of 5. So my son was kicked out of 2 daycares because of his energy level and my not "putting him on something" even after bringing in notes from our doctor saying they don't diagnose behavioral disorders (aside from autism) before age 5.
Long story short, my son will be 7 this week and in the last 2yrs has been diagnosed with ADHD, ODD and borderline Asperger's/PDD-NOS (high functioning autism). Yes, he is on the lowest effective dose of medication to HELP him in school but is not medicated at home or on weekends. He is top of his class in school and loves learning. Before we found a medication, he was always frustrated at school/daycare and thought he was a "bad boy" because he couldn't help himself.
We tried changing his diet, homeopathic remedies, all the non-medication approaches our pediatrician (who specializes in behavior disorders) could find. We had to face the music that the only avenue left to us was medication to HELP him. My son is NOT a zombie at all. He is still running around at recess, still full of imagination and loves art class. But now he is able to think clearly and participate in class. His doctor has been amazingly helpful in helping him to understand how his brain works and what the medicine does.

While there are a LOT of kids out there that are mis-labeled, ADHD really does exist and can be severely detrimental to a child's ability to learn. Please don't judge before you know the truth :)
 Cookie121603
Msg: 648
Posted: 12/9/2009 8:39:33 PM
I posted this in the night terror's thread, but I think it did touch a bit of ADHD.

Ok. Night terrors. Ppl, do some research. My son, now almost 6 has had them since he was 2 and a half. Night terrors differ from nightmares in the fact that your child does look like he/she is awake and alert, can answer to mostly all your comments or questions. But they are not awake; you cannot console them whatsoever. Actually, the more you try to help them, the more the night terror will last. These episodes can last from 5 minutes to hours. The child seems rather terrified of something, but when you ask, they pretty much scream (if they are young and can't verbalize) and fight with you verbally ( or even physically). They go back to bed as sudden as they "woke up" and they do not recall the events in the morning.

These nigh terrors can't be completely prevented, but you can do many things to try and lessen the conditions for them to happen. After much discussion with our psych and peds, we came to the conclusion that a nightly bath and massage would set the grounds for better sleeping ( routines, routines, routines). I came to the findings that when my child has very active days (like play dates, bday parties, the such) he tends to have more of these terrors than when he has had a mellow day. He sleeps with me quite often, and now at his age, when he wakes up fighting and screaming, I turn, tell him he is dreaming, make sure he isn't hurting himself, and watch him until he goes back to sleep.

The Sedative you talk about, was this before the ADHD diagnosis? My son has lots of trouble falling asleep, unless I calm him down with a massage or a story. I understand that we as parents don't have the time or energy to do this every night ( both decrease with increasing number of children in household) but they do benefit from it. Even then, I have had him jumping around while I try to read to him, or kicking and fidgeting while I massage his legs. The ADHD, and not the night terrors, seem to be more responsible for the trouble falling asleep. My kid is NOW being assessed for ADHD. When I brought up the night terrors YEARS ago to his peds, he told me to put him to sleep and then wake him up with some lame excuse an hour after he fell asleep. I thought: ARE YOU NUTS???!! Do you know how long it took me for him to fall asleep??? But it is the case that if you wake them up, lets say to go potty for 5 minutes while he is awake, it breaks the REM cycle and restarts the sleep timer, so he won't have the night terrors at the same time every night (which tends to happen a lot) and eventually breaks the brain loop they fall into.

In conclussion, yes ADHD and night terros to tend to go along (also sleepwalking and night terrors, I have read the children grow up to be walkers later on if not taken care of now). Sedatives, you might want to consider using a different one if he is still having the terrors while he's on it. The ADHD meds are taken nowadays only during the periods needed, and they only last for 12 hours, depending on the meds half life, and are taken once a day. The children see the benefits of it while in school, then it wears off and they go back to their normal hyperactive selves during the evening, but enhanced. They know they feel better with the meds, they look forward to being better at behaving. If your kid is zombied out, either the meds are wrong for him/her, or they are getting too much. Talk to your doc about it. I will post this on the ADHD thread too, seems like I touchd enough of that too.

Hope this helped.

MsBeave
Msg: 649
Posted: 12/10/2009 9:18:28 AM
Until you've with lived or taught a child with bipolar or ADHD you don't have a clue what it's like for them. Many of these kids are suffering, image always being the "problem kid" at home and school, and no matter how hard they try they can't control the behaviour.

A qualified and current paediatric psychiatrist will run cognitive, psychological, physical and socialization testing before making a diagnoses. The problem is too often family doctors, pediatricians and psychologist are making the diagnoses without excluding the other possible causes. Bipolar and ADHD/ADD can be diagnosed as early has 3 years old if the psychiatrist is qualified and the symptoms are absolute.

Unfortunately too often the behaviours are the result of socialization and lack of effective parenting. And the children are medicated because it's easier then dealing with the problem. The "zombie effect" is the result of over-medicating, being on the wrong medication or not needing medication.

Auditory Processing Disorder can often be mistaken for ADD, this should always be excluded before a diagnoses of ADD. Food allergies are another possibility as are metabolic disorders.

A child with ADD/ADHD doesn't always require medication either, sometimes the problem can be resolved through cogitative therapy, success is dependant on the commitment of the parents and school.

As parents we have to educate ourselves because it's expensive to diagnose a child with mental health issues and medical administrators would much rather "cure" the problem through medication then find a solution.
 gentleplus
Msg: 650
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2009 1:03:00 PM
In my life the solution without drugs???? GABA 500 mg 3-6x daily, DHEA 50 mg daily, MACA 200 mg daily.... U will feel totally different in ur mind with zero drug effects.... these will feed ur body to do what it knows to do not force it to behave as with a mind altering drug.... good luck!!!!
 gentleplus
Msg: 651
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2012 7:28:13 AM
Is there any new discussions on this topic?????
 Debyduz_
Msg: 652
Posted: 7/15/2012 10:49:47 AM
ADD and ADHD is not a cop out. The pills won't work if the child doesn't have it. If the child doesn't have ADHD all the pills do is make them hyper. If a child has it and they are zombielike meds and or doses need to be changed. In order to get on the meds a child should have a proper evaluation. Evaluation includes surveys from teachers, parents and daycare workers. then they are evaluated by "Child psychiatrists and psychologists, developmental or behavioral pediatricians, or behavioral neurologists are those most often trained in differential diagnoses. Clinical social workers may also have such training."

I have son who is now 19 and has extreme ADHD, Asperger's, Bipolar(that can be diagnosed before 18), Anxiety Disorder and Depression. I know it is not a cop out in our case. You will very like see many members of a family with similar disorder it can be genetic. You will also see step families with similar disorder because having a ADHD child is very difficult and the parent would be attracted to each because they understand.

I have seen people who are cop outs because they don't deal with their children. I will assure that the ADHD meds don't work if they don't have it.

The conditions are mostly on what they call Spectrum disorders. You will find overlap in diagnoses and that diagnoses change as child ages. The symptoms difficult to separate in younger children. Our son was diagnosed with extreme ADHD at age 2 and we started meds at age 5. The meds made a positive change for him and made life easier for him.

You will also get different opinions from different doctors. Some doctor don't believe in the meds. That is a disservice to the child. We disagree with out son's shrink about the bipolar.

Please try to be understanding with your friend and offer support if it is possible. Many friends disappear when children's behavior is bad. It can be a hard lonely life.
 audrianna333
Msg: 653
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2012 9:57:36 AM
This can be used as a cop out and plenty of kids are misdiagnosed. The meds can make you like a zombie if they drop your blood pressure in which case your dose is to high. But ADHD is real and a real issue for some of us. Meds don't work for all kiddos, behavior modification does work as long as all adults are consistent. The problem is that most adults can't keep up with a truly ADHD kid to be consistent all day. It's exhausting. My son is the same on and off meds, a bit more intense off meds, but the same personality. The most noticeable diff for my son...off meds he'll only sleep 6 hours.
 meowkatt2012
Msg: 654
Posted: 7/16/2012 9:45:19 PM
The jails are full of ppl w add who needed to be on ritalin. It is a real thing. It's not just a wild child. It interferes with their ability to learn . And if you can't learn you can't work. Its a serious problem.
 gentleplus
Msg: 655
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 12:58:45 PM
I found the best medicine for me was a nutritional called GABA ...3000 mg daily in divided doses
 bamagrl68
Msg: 656
Posted: 7/17/2012 5:43:31 PM
jessika2908- I don't think people should be quick to judge unless they have experienced something themselves.
I am a nurse and a mom and it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine for people to say what other people should or should not do with their kids, especially medical issues.
Add/adhd is very real.
My brother was diagnosed in the 70's when it was fairly unheard of.
He was given medication, but eventually refused to take it and ended up getting in trouble all the time and dropped out of school.
Btw-they don't give Ritalin anymore, but there are drugs that are still given that are very similar to it chemically.
Add/adhd is more common in boys and no one is sure why, it is also common for more than one child to be diagnosed with it in the same family, which tells me it is genetic.
Both of my boys have it. My oldest son has adhd and my youngest has add.
I didn't want my sons to have this, I didn't want to medicate them.
I would NOT put my oldest son on it until I tried everything else, no foods with red die, a diet log, allergy testing you name it, I did it. Medication was a LAST resort.
He repeated the decision my brother made and refused to take it anymore at 14, he quit school at 16.
Eventually he got his GED and is now a chef, so things worked out, but it was HARD.
My youngest son is on a medication that is low dose and time release. When he was first diagnosed, I tried again to modify his diet, all the rest, to no avail.
Once he was on medicine, he was able to sit still and concentrate, he went from having an IEP plan for children with learning issues to a gifted program, his reading scores almost doubled.
As a parent, you do what is best for your child.
If you aren't one or haven't experienced such issues, you have NO basis to finger point!
 calimamma05
Msg: 657
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 11:03:27 PM
I myself have childrens, twins exactly, who were both diagnosed with ADHD. There is family history on both my and my twins's fathers side for ADHD. I have ADD and their father has ADHD> My son's behavior and grade have improved dramatically in the past year. My daughter's has also inproved.

It is possible that these meds do work. Just as long as the prescription is right for the child.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 658
Posted: 7/18/2012 1:11:25 AM
cop out. my dad tells me a story of when he was a kid spacing out in class like he often did, and the teacher came around and slapped him in the hand really hard with a ruler to snap him out of it. dad says he paid attention in that class from that point on.

im not condoning teaching beating our children, but nowadays my father would probably be diagnosed with ADD and medicated. turns out a slap on the hand was all it took to cure his disorder.

i think our society is too quick to run to medication as the answer to all our problems.
 gothicgirl86
Msg: 659
Posted: 7/25/2012 6:00:45 PM
My son is ADHD and is medicated to get through school but he is in no way zombified. The meds just take the edge off so they can actually settled down alot better. If my son don't take his meds, he goes non stop.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?