Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 shy_lovin_gal
Msg: 726
ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out? Page 30 of 34    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34)
Well I see it both ways and when my girl started to have problems in school and testing was done I had a lot to think about that was for sure.. I was a stay at home mom and my kids had all of me they needed kids being kids running around didnt bother me at all I always had extra kids and they can play as loud and rough as they wanted they are kids after all ... but at school my daughter was having a hard time it was a small country school where everyone cars about everyone teachers most of them had been in the school since my ex and I had gone there. She just couldnt sit still was always off in some space and it made her sad that she couldnt sit like the others .. The test said she had add and adhd I agreed to the meds for one reason that was so she could do her school work i put her on the lowest and never raised it like the doc wanted me to it was just enough to let her learn and she took off an made big impovements.. I dont give them to her on the weekend or on vactions i feel she needs to be a kids but for school so she can learn and not have to fight it all the way yes the meds is what is for her. My mom or ex mother in law didnt like it but it was for her not because i want my child to make my life easy but for her life at school to be easy
 jvcv_1234
Msg: 727
ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?
Posted: 1/21/2008 3:49:17 AM
I'm appalled that someone would say it's a cop out!! I have a wonderful 14 year old daughter who was taught respect, manners and the proper way to act in private and public. She never was an uncontrollable child but always very hyper. Until the last few years she did excellent in school but her grades and social skills began to fall off severely. Her mother (The know it all with the Cosmopolitan Medical license) said the same thing as you have. It's just a cop out to get out of her responsibilities or school work. She's just plain lazy...Heard all the same Bullsh*t from her as you have posted. So with the inability to empathize she let her life denigrate right in front of us...went from all A's to complete F's...Fighting and arguing with everyone including her Mother.

It took close to two years to get custody away from her mother and had her enrolled in counseling, at which point she was diagnosed ADD and put on medication to help....And it DID! Her social skills and personality has improved 100% along with her grades at school. Her teachers have contacted me wanting to know what drastic changes have occurred? She's polite, respectful and participates in class now. Night and day difference...So maybe you don't know what your talking about? I agree that a large amount of kids out their are misdiagnose but the REAL Doctors and scientist that create and test theses psychological meds are the only people qualified to make a judgement on their necessity, not you! And if you read your own post and the description of your children's need for constant stimulation you see that they exhibit the symptoms of ADHD...Your ignorance is amazing!

Sorry if this sounds harsh and disrespectful, but closed minded people like you and my ex cause our kids to go through years of mental and emotional pain for no other reason than selfishness...Unable to admit that maybe you don't know everything and refusing to put your child's mental development before your own ideals! That really upsets me...Especially since I've seen the pros and cons of meds first hand.
 griffyq
Msg: 728
Posted: 1/21/2008 4:18:17 AM
First of all, it is Ritalin people - not Riddilan, Ridilan, Ridalin...or any of the other spellings that I read. Had you really read up on the topic then you should know how to spell the drug. Ritalin is only one of about 20 different drugs used to treat ADHD. If one drug makes your child a zombie then it is the wrong medication. The people who most strongly disagree with the ADHD diagnosis do not have children afflicted with it obviously. It has nothing to do with "beating their ass" as one person stated. These kids do not respond to discipline, or in this case abuse, like other children. Most of the testing that everyone mentions are standardized questionnaires filled out by the parent and teachers. The doctor simply conveys the results and the meaning, which due to the nature of the tests being standardized, leaves no room for personal interpretation.
 TAKEN fab-mom
Msg: 729
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2008 6:23:17 AM
I'll say it. It's a cop out. Kids are hyper. Kids get bored. They overreact and act out. That doesn't mean that we should dope them up to calm them down. I was appalled when my sister was going to start treating my nephew for his diagnosed ADD. Sure...lets drug him up so he doesn't talk during class or fidget with his pen. ...

Well, after taking him to several different doctors and psychologists it was found that his IQ level was extremely high and he was placed in advanced placement classes and has not been a problem since. Sure he's still your average kid that will climb up your walls but I'd rather see that then him be a shell of his original person.

It's an easy solution to a hyper child.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 730
Posted: 1/21/2008 7:52:16 AM
I'll say it. It's a cop out. Kids are hyper. Kids get bored. They overreact and act out. That doesn't mean that we should dope them up to calm them down. I was appalled when my sister was going to start treating my nephew for his diagnosed ADD. Sure...lets drug him up so he doesn't talk during class or fidget with his pen. ...

Well, after taking him to several different doctors and psychologists it was found that his IQ level was extremely high and he was placed in advanced placement classes and has not been a problem since. Sure he's still your average kid that will climb up your walls but I'd rather see that then him be a shell of his original person.

It's an easy solution to a hyper child.

First, there is no "easy solution to a hyper child". Second, you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. A child who does not have ADD or ADHD is NOT going to be turned into a "zombie" with ritalin or any of the other drugs to control these disorders. They are stimulants. I will repeat this, alright, STIMULANTS. They do not slow down the brain, they speed it up. Just happens to speed up the part that control impulses, therefore ADD and ADHD kids can control themselves. If anything, a "normal" kid on these meds would be more hyper. I get so sick of hearing people claim children are drugged so parents don't have to train them. It is an absurd notion. When parents start giving their kids valium, then I might listen. As I stated before, one of the most calming things for my son is a nice, strong, cup of coffee. Try that with a "normal" kid. It isn't about bad behavior. My child (the oldest of my 3 and the only one with this problem) is one of the most well behaved kids around, on or off his meds. He just CAN'T focus without them. Everything he has is put into sitting still. He can't listen, he can't learn. I DO believe certain groups are more prone to these disorders....perhaps poverty level families don't get proper nutrition, I just don't have an answer, but I do know it is real. Many of these are the exact same families who don't seem to understand proper discipline either (I am NOT running down all poverty level people, it is just all too common) which makes it APPEAR this is the cause.

I know the cause of my son's ADHD. He was a 25 week preemie. Weighed 1 lb 14 oz and had a grade 3 cerebral hemorage. Yes, my child has brain damage. If ADHD is the worst to come of it (and so far it seems it is) then I think we did alright.
 TAKEN fab-mom
Msg: 731
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2008 10:05:58 AM
I don't care..it's still drugging your child to change their behavior. And I never said anything about "zombie" so before you start ranting figure out who you are talking to. And have you EVER spoken to anyone that grew up on ritalin? even they will tell you it made them feel like they were in a cloud. Kind of a daze.
 skyydancerdreaming
Msg: 732
Posted: 1/21/2008 10:29:00 AM
"These kids do not respond to discipline, or in this case abuse, like other children."

Griffy, I had a friend whose child was hyper, didn't listen, was a total brat - you know the type and was placed on Ritalin. His mother just couldn't "handle" him. The funny thing is, when he was around his father, this boy was an angel. You want to know why? His father didn't take any crap from him! He respected his father, listened to him, and was a very well behaved child with him. And, before you ask, yes, this was before he was prescribed Ritalin. I do believe there are some cases where the child truly needs Ritalin, but I believe they are rare.

In the cases where I have seen parents pulling their hair out because they can't handle their child and want to get them diagnosed and put on Ritalin, these parents DID NOT DISCIPLINE their children. They let them run the show and run wild when they were toddlers. Then, when the child was around 4-5 years old and totally out of control because they never experienced the word NO and they never were held accountable for THEIR actions, the parents whined and wimpered and wanted to drug them. Yes, I said drug them.

Some kids are naturally more hyper than others -- that is normal! What is not normal are these parents that are afraid to discipline their child. Take a look around you and observe closely. The little brats (yes, I said brats) who run around screaming and throwing tantrums whenever they can't get their way, know that their parents will give in to them when they do that. Children are not stupid. They learn very early on what they can and cannot get away with. Discipline is tough! It's much easier to let the child to what they want. Discipline takes effort, consistency, and tough love. So many parents out there can't be bothered doing what it takes to raise a well behaved child, then they whine and cry about what went wrong, get some lovely little pills for their children, and life is good. How pathetic. Maybe they ought to give the parents some drugs that lower their stress levels, along with some parenting classes. They maybe, just maybe, these parents would learn that it's up to them, not drugs, to discipline their child. Hmmm...now there's a novel idea, too bad no one's thought of it!
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 733
Posted: 1/21/2008 10:54:51 AM

I don't care..it's still drugging your child to change their behavior. And I never said anything about "zombie" so before you start ranting figure out who you are talking to. And have you EVER spoken to anyone that grew up on ritalin? even they will tell you it made them feel like they were in a cloud. Kind of a daze.

First, it is not necessarily drugging your child to change their behavior. In fact, one of the first things I discussed with my son's doctors was that I would NOT put him on anything that would change him. I don't just love my son, I like him too. We tried ritalin first and it was AWFUL. It did change him so we flushed it and tried others. We finally ended up with concerta (which is still ritalin but absorbed and released differently) and loved it. He was my same active, happy, friendly, fun, playful, child. Not every parent wants to put their child in a drugged haze. Most do not.

Second, I knew full well who I was talking to. You may not have used the exact word "zombie" but made it clear that parents are using the meds to make their child silent and immobile. so, even if you did not use the exact word so many here have, you still jumnped on the zombie bandwagon with both feet. It is so incredibly easy to judge that which you do not understand, isn't it. I can assure you, if your nephew was started on meds and truly did not have ADD or ADHD, they would NOT have had the desired effect. Maybe he was mis-diagnosed (which does happen....see above, the little girl for whom the meds did not work at all) or maybe this was all it took for this particular child. Every child is different. Some have to have meds. Some do not. Mine is one who does, and I have spent countless hours awake, worrying, frightened, depressed, feeling helpless, but in the end, KNOWING his future is worth making sure he is not left behind. This is the only way for him. For most parents, giving their child meds is not a choice they take lightly.
 TAKEN fab-mom
Msg: 734
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2008 12:07:20 PM
Once again you are twisting my words but if I type anymore you'll just twist that up too. And it's amazing how just because your child was diagnosed with this "illness" that you all of a sudden become an expert. No matter how you twist it up you gave your child a drug to control his/her actions. I understand that your child has brain damage and therefor might have a legitimate excuse to be on medication (although to me it sounds like you and the doctors are just treating the symptoms and not the cause)

My nephew was diagnosed by 2 seperate doctors with this "disease" before my sister took him to an out of state specialty clinic and got the proper and correct diagnosis. I can see how some parents would just take the doctors advise and run with it. They are stressed and tired with an overactive child and have been giving some hope of relief. But it is still medicating a CHILD that has no say in it and it will affect their personality....why else would you give it to them if it wasn't going to "help" with their little kwirks.
 TAKEN fab-mom
Msg: 735
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2008 12:08:41 PM
What the heck did all the hyper, unfocused kids do before we could legally drug them?
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 736
Posted: 1/21/2008 2:13:06 PM

What the heck did all the hyper, unfocused kids do before we could legally drug them?

Well, that is an easy one, isn't it. They are the out of work, drug addicted, fell through the cracks because no one knew what to do with them degenrates you see thousands of every day. They are the people who started life with unlimited potential and couldn't cope, couldn't handle life, and were pushed to the side. They now fill up the prisons and the soup kitchens of the world. You can say and believe what you want, I (and most people I know) never medicated their child out of frustration and to control their "kwirks". Personally, I did it so my child could actually lsiten to the teacher instead of pinching the side of his leg, chewing on his jaw 'til it bled, and rapidly bouncing his feet just so he could sit in his chair. When he started school they said he could never learn to read, that he was retarded. I KNEW they were wrong. He is 10 now. Just a couple of weeks ago they tested to re determind their reading levels. His is now set at a 12th grade level. I knew his potential and knew I had to do what it took to help him. I never claimed to be an expert. You are the one claiming to know what is best for all children. It is incredibly funny you say that the doctors and I are treating the symptoms not the cause of my child's problems. Try to think here, the CAUSE is brain damage sustained at birth. would you suggest I try to cram him back in my uterus (he is kinda big for that at 10) and see if I can do better this time around?

Thanks, toddy666, and good luck. I know how hard it can be. We weaned him off medication for almost a year and then had no choice but to go back on it. I couldn't let him fail. :(
 Johne102
Msg: 737
Posted: 1/24/2008 3:01:10 PM
I was born 5 months pre-mature, I was being bullied at school when I was 6 years old. I fought back and back then (during the late 70's) the school felt I was the problem that I should just ignore the bullies.( I know it is handled differently today.) The school felt I should be on medication so I would not be hyper, my doctor said he would not put me on any medications as he felt I was defending myself. My parents were told by school officials I would not amount to much. I changed schools the next year. I graduated from college in 1993 and have a good job.

The school system just wants every kid to behave the same as it is easier for the system that way...no matter how they achieve it.

I think ADHD is over diagnosed but it is something some kids have and should get help with. In other cases the parents or school syastem use it as an excuse to put a hyper active kid on drugs so they can make life easier for the teacher. So just because your child is born pre-mature does not mean they have ADHD..they might but maybe it just might be a phase or maybe the child needs something to do. I was hyper active until my parents jhad me play organized sports...no problems with me having excess energy after playing hockey 2 times each week and doing homework.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 738
Posted: 1/24/2008 3:16:13 PM
Oh good grief, johne102, where to start. First, you WERE NOT born 5 months premature. They can't save a baby that pre-term now, certainly couldn't when you were born. So, you are not being quite honest here, are you. Next, I never said that jsut because a child is premature they will have ADHD. I said MY child had ADHD as a direct result of his brain bleeding due to his prematurity. His brain was damaged and this is the outcome. I know other kids who are blind, deaf, have cerebral palsy, etc. from the same thing.

No child would ever be put on medication for ADHD because they beat up some bullies at school. I have no clue what kind of school you attended but it sounds frightening to me.

My child was NEVER put on medication to "make life easier for the teacher" and never would have been. In fact, when they tried to say he was retarded I pulled him out of school and kept him home an extra year while we figured out what was really wrong. This is NOT a phase, my child does not need things to do. He is an active, healthy child.

Just because you don't have ADHD and claim to have been premature does not mean there is no one out there who does.
 Johne102
Msg: 739
Posted: 1/24/2008 8:58:30 PM
I never said no children born pre-mature do not have ADHD. Second My mom was told her due date wuold be in late September...you do the math as I was born in April.

My point is that often times the school system hides behind what is best for the child and really is concerned what is best for the system...not always but many times.

I have cerebral palsy as a result of brain damage from a brain hemerage...but just because you child is diagnosed with something does not mean they will not accomplish things in life.

Sometimes instead of medication maybe a child needs to be re-directed. My parents made it clear to me if I did not behave and do well in school I would not play sports..that is called motivation and fixed many problems.

For those who actually have ADD or ADHD then yes maybe they should be on some medication but we are too quick to medicate every little thing today as a society. Now what would have happened in the 1930's and 1940's with these kids? A previous poster stated thhat those were the drop outs and drug addicts...so before street drugs became a problm in our society what happened to these kids in those days?

Maybe what we need to do as a society is value the outcome of children's life as adults instead of just how to get them to behave as kids.

Maybe parents need to be more creative?
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 740
Posted: 1/24/2008 9:22:38 PM

Maybe what we need to do as a society is value the outcome of children's life as adults instead of just how to get them to behave as kids.

Maybe parents need to be more creative?

It appears that this prematurity has adversley affected your ability to comprehend? I clearly stated numerous times that this (medicating my son) had NOTHING to do with making my child behave (he does that anyway) and EVERYTHING to do with his future. I could keep him off medication and let him fail and essentially throw his futrure down the toilet. He means more to me than that. He has very lofty goals for his future. I plan to help him obtain those goals. He has no choice over his condition, it is not a matter of lack of discipline or the need for motivation. Watch you own child, the person you would literally die for, absolutely devestated, wanting nothing more than to be normal, and tell me you wouldn't be willing to give him one tiny pill a day to allow him to function as a person.

I am the poster who said the kids with problems were the drop outs and drug addicts, btw. Before street drugs they were alcoholics. They were the drifters. Society has always had people who fell through the cracks and just trudged along until they finally died. Many of these are people who have mental illness that could have been easily solved with proper medication. ADHD is one of these. It is real, it can be totally devestating to a person's life, and it can be controlled with medication. You also have the issue of more babies surviving now that never would have before, therefore more problems to deal with.

One more time, YOU WERE NOT BORN 5 MONTHS EARLY. The earliest a baby can reasonably be expected to survive is 24 weeks. The absolute earliest one has EVER survived is 21 weeks 6 days...almost 22 weeks. You are trying to tell me that 35 years ago you survived at 20 weeks. I call BS because I KNOW better. Perhaps your mom had to lie about the date of her pregnancy? How much did you weigh? Looks to me like you need to have a talk with your momma. :)
 Ms. Beavenhouse
Msg: 741
Posted: 1/24/2008 11:35:27 PM
Sometimes early on-set bipolar (having bipolar symptoms at a young age) is misdiagnosed as ADHD or ADD. Central auditory processing disorder can also be misdiagnosed as ADHD. The ADHD label is throw out very quickly because it's the easy diagnoses. But it doesn't mean there aren't legitimate cases.

It's easy to say..well I turned out alright because my parents did this but you'll never really know what your potential could have been.

And debating with a parent who has successfully raised a child with special needs is ignorant because you never lived with their child, you have no idea what they have been through. You have no idea how much research and constant modifying of parenting is require to raise a well adjusted child. You have no idea how frustrating it is to have a doctor blame the parent so they can deny service, when medical attention is all is need to turn the situation around. Everyone has a bad story about a child on medication but how many positive stories do you hear? Why do you think that is? One of the reason is you don't hear about the positive is because an effective parent is too busy to whine.

There are some parents that don't know how to raise children and as a result the kids are out of control but you can't lump everyone in same category.
 RubyRedMomma
Msg: 742
Posted: 1/25/2008 5:17:10 AM
First and foremost, I have a 5 year old who is ADHD and Bi Polar. So yes, they CAN be diagnosed younger than 18, I was diagnosed at 14. Secondly, I do personally believe that 90% of ADHD cases are over diagnosed, and parents who have not done what they needed to do as parents to teach a child certain behaviors, and let them run wild, but there is a percentage out there that I truly believe are ADHD/ADD. I think it has become horrible the over diagnosis of children now days, and I hate the medications. I have taken my child to 5 different places for studies, evaluations, etc... Because I did not want to believe he was ADHD. Not that it is a bad thing, but because I just didn't think my child was. I was not one of these parents pushing for it so they could go sit on disability and drug their child and turn them into a zombie. (Too many parents push different diagnosis on their kids so they can get disability for them, that's a whole nother thread!) Anywho. I knew there was something going on with my son, I seen the manic side of him so young it was scary. Me being bi polar and his personality/behaviors I took him in. That is where I ended up five psychiatrists later and 4 clinics later with the diagnosis.

HOWEVER, My son is Not a zombie. He still runs around, gets loud, enjoys life. He just doens't dip down like he used to into depressive states and his rageful fits. I refused to put him on certain medications, call me a bad parent or not, but when some pills are compared to crack, he's not going on those. I am very involved in his medical issues and very educated as to what pills are not approved by the FDA for use in ADHD or children. I think all parents should really truly educat themselves.

Also, teachers are pushing this issue too much also. Because a child has more energy than the next they immediately believe they are ADHD, and start the testings off. My nephew for instance, and he's not, I don't believe. I truly believe he has some anxiety issues due to my sister's narcotic ways, however I do not believe he is ADHD. But again, he's sitting there on meds. All because his teacher initiated the contact with teh Dr. and requested he get tested, and since a professional requested it he must be ADHD., right? Not.

So yes, it is over diagnosed, everyone knows that. But it is not impossible, it is a true problem. But because your kid is hyper or loud or has energy does not mean they are ADHD like so many parents/teachers believe now days. It's sad.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 743
Posted: 1/25/2008 6:54:01 AM
(Too many parents push different diagnosis on their kids so they can get disability for them, that's a whole nother thread!)

I noticed someone else mentioning the disability thing in this thread, previously. I have never met a single person who recieved disability for a child because of an ADHD diagnosis. I can't believe it would be possible, and if it is, needs to be changed immediately. I am sorry, ADHD is no reason for someone to get disability. The ONLY reason a child should ever get disability is if they have a condition severe enough that a parent absolutely cannot work and HAS to be with them 24 hours a day, or if the child is never going to be self sufficient and will require assistance their entire life. With the combination of proper parenting and, yes, many times medication, ADHD kids can not only succeed, but excel in life.

People are acting like you can just walk into a doctors office and say "hey, my kid won't sit still" and he will grab out the prescription pad and give you a lifetime of ritalin. I know with my son, it took tons of testing and evaluations......checking back from the day he was born all the way to that moment. it was not a "here, give him this and see what happens" sort of decision. I know there are some unscrupulous doctors and parents out there, but that certainly doesn't mean they are the majority. I truly believe that MOST people want what is best for their child. For me, medication was a last resort (as it should be for everyone) but when it came down to the choice of giving him meds or tossing his future, I felt the choice was already made.
 Ms. Beavenhouse
Msg: 744
Posted: 1/25/2008 7:41:05 AM
Comorbid symptoms are not easy to diagnose at any age. Bipolar disorder can have comorbid symptoms that appear to be ADHD.
 RubyRedMomma
Msg: 745
Posted: 1/25/2008 7:55:02 AM
It is sad, and personally should not happen, but there are tons and tons and tons of parents who get disability for ADHD. We do not, specifically because personally it is not a disability, but yes it happens all the time. I cannot count how many people have said... "Well, go get disability for him, he has a disability". It's not. But like I said, totally new thread...

I know personally it took tons of testing, and evaluations here for my son. However, like with any Dr. one will say no, the next will say yes. My nephew was NEVER tested for anything, and he goes to what is believed to be one of the most respected pediatritians in the area. Never had a darn test done. Literally, they walked in there with the teacher's evaluation, walked out with a prescription for Concerta. It happens, every single day. Our Dr. is not a pill pusher, and we do not even go to her for these types of meds, we have a psychiatrist, however it's out there, it happens, and it's sad.
 Johne102
Msg: 746
Posted: 1/25/2008 7:59:22 AM
Many in the school system push for this diagnosis...there are many cases where ADD or ADHD is realy a problem but in many cases it is not. Why would the school system push for a child to be diagnosed with something? Because it is easier for the school system. Some parents do noit want to take the time to be parents so they are looking for an excuse.

The school I attended would have had me medicated to suit them..I am so glad I changed schools. Some are not so lucky.

Incases where ADD oe ADHD is a real problem fine treat it but why do some go looking for it? They are looking for an easy way out. Proper parenting is the answer in some cases. A child is not a cookie and not all children can be raised/taught in school with a cookie cutter approach.
 angelah1975
Msg: 747
Posted: 1/26/2008 8:38:38 AM

I was born 5 months pre-mature

The WORLD'S youngest preemie to survive was born at 21 weeks. Here's the second youngest, born this year: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17237979/

You are claiming to have been younger. I call bullshit. Back when you were born, they didn't have the technology to keep a 21 week fetus alive. In fact, in 2002, there was a 2% chance of a preemie born at 22 weeks actually surviving.

You weren't born 5 months early. I'm betting your mom's doctor was wrong about your due date.
 Next Time Round
Msg: 748
Posted: 1/26/2008 10:19:07 AM
It's a cop out and in my case there were numerous factors contributing to the problem. The first was that I laid down with someone I was living common-law with who was highly unlikely to support a child since he was relying more on me to figure out a way. (An old habit that has it's early roots in childhood baggage.) There were also genetic factors on both sides to make the likelihood of some type of problem a higher risk.

My son was a forecep delivery and his head was extemely elongated at birth with hardly any sign of a soft-spot. Many babies are born that way, but the problem resolves itself in a few weeks from being mis-shapen within the birth canal. At eight months, however, there were still problems visible to the eye -- and his skull was not growing properly although any brain damage was indeed minimal.

The problem, however, was that there was frontal lobe damage which is the part of the brain that, among other things, is responsible to NOT going from zero to sixty when a person is frustrated. He was in day-care part time from five weeks old -- and if I could do it over again I just would have stayed home, applied for welfare, and raised my son myself. He needed far more early care than he would up getting. AndI know many moms who did a splendid job on welfare.

But I thought obtaining an education for myself and trying to work was the answer. And the school board refused to let him attend without ritilin. They also refused (initially) to home schooling. Damned if I did or didn't. I think the drugs had terrible lifelong side effects no matter what I bought into at the time...but once again, that's in hindsight. The greatest tragedy is that although many skills for controlling himself were taught to him, he never had the benefit of learning how without using medication except for one brief med-vacation & stay at home.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 749
Posted: 1/26/2008 10:26:27 AM

You weren't born 5 months early. I'm betting your mom's doctor was wrong about your due date.

He isn't listening. :) I have already pointed that out to him several times. However, during that era, there were still a LOT of very large "preemies" born. In order to hide the fact they were pregnant before they married they would claim a false due date. My guess is that is what happened. No doctor is going to be THAT far off on a due date.
 Johne102
Msg: 750
Posted: 1/26/2008 12:06:40 PM
All I can do is tell you what my parents and doctors told me about my due date.

Now why do schools look for a ADD or ADHD Diagnosis? No one has answered that but me...they want what is best for the system and is in some cases a cop out but not in all cases.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?