Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Johne102
Msg: 751
ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out? Page 31 of 34    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34)
I was born 5 months pre-mature, I was being bullied at school when I was 6 years old. I fought back and back then (during the late 70's) the school felt I was the problem that I should just ignore the bullies.( I know it is handled differently today.) The school felt I should be on medication so I would not be hyper, my doctor said he would not put me on any medications as he felt I was defending myself. My parents were told by school officials I would not amount to much. I changed schools the next year. I graduated from college in 1993 and have a good job.

The school system just wants every kid to behave the same as it is easier for the system that way...no matter how they achieve it.

I think ADHD is over diagnosed but it is something some kids have and should get help with. In other cases the parents or school syastem use it as an excuse to put a hyper active kid on drugs so they can make life easier for the teacher. So just because your child is born pre-mature does not mean they have ADHD..they might but maybe it just might be a phase or maybe the child needs something to do. I was hyper active until my parents jhad me play organized sports...no problems with me having excess energy after playing hockey 2 times each week and doing homework.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 752
ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?
Posted: 1/24/2008 3:16:13 PM
Oh good grief, johne102, where to start. First, you WERE NOT born 5 months premature. They can't save a baby that pre-term now, certainly couldn't when you were born. So, you are not being quite honest here, are you. Next, I never said that jsut because a child is premature they will have ADHD. I said MY child had ADHD as a direct result of his brain bleeding due to his prematurity. His brain was damaged and this is the outcome. I know other kids who are blind, deaf, have cerebral palsy, etc. from the same thing.

No child would ever be put on medication for ADHD because they beat up some bullies at school. I have no clue what kind of school you attended but it sounds frightening to me.

My child was NEVER put on medication to "make life easier for the teacher" and never would have been. In fact, when they tried to say he was retarded I pulled him out of school and kept him home an extra year while we figured out what was really wrong. This is NOT a phase, my child does not need things to do. He is an active, healthy child.

Just because you don't have ADHD and claim to have been premature does not mean there is no one out there who does.
 Johne102
Msg: 753
Posted: 1/24/2008 8:58:30 PM
I never said no children born pre-mature do not have ADHD. Second My mom was told her due date wuold be in late September...you do the math as I was born in April.

My point is that often times the school system hides behind what is best for the child and really is concerned what is best for the system...not always but many times.

I have cerebral palsy as a result of brain damage from a brain hemerage...but just because you child is diagnosed with something does not mean they will not accomplish things in life.

Sometimes instead of medication maybe a child needs to be re-directed. My parents made it clear to me if I did not behave and do well in school I would not play sports..that is called motivation and fixed many problems.

For those who actually have ADD or ADHD then yes maybe they should be on some medication but we are too quick to medicate every little thing today as a society. Now what would have happened in the 1930's and 1940's with these kids? A previous poster stated thhat those were the drop outs and drug addicts...so before street drugs became a problm in our society what happened to these kids in those days?

Maybe what we need to do as a society is value the outcome of children's life as adults instead of just how to get them to behave as kids.

Maybe parents need to be more creative?
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 754
Posted: 1/24/2008 9:22:38 PM

Maybe what we need to do as a society is value the outcome of children's life as adults instead of just how to get them to behave as kids.

Maybe parents need to be more creative?

It appears that this prematurity has adversley affected your ability to comprehend? I clearly stated numerous times that this (medicating my son) had NOTHING to do with making my child behave (he does that anyway) and EVERYTHING to do with his future. I could keep him off medication and let him fail and essentially throw his futrure down the toilet. He means more to me than that. He has very lofty goals for his future. I plan to help him obtain those goals. He has no choice over his condition, it is not a matter of lack of discipline or the need for motivation. Watch you own child, the person you would literally die for, absolutely devestated, wanting nothing more than to be normal, and tell me you wouldn't be willing to give him one tiny pill a day to allow him to function as a person.

I am the poster who said the kids with problems were the drop outs and drug addicts, btw. Before street drugs they were alcoholics. They were the drifters. Society has always had people who fell through the cracks and just trudged along until they finally died. Many of these are people who have mental illness that could have been easily solved with proper medication. ADHD is one of these. It is real, it can be totally devestating to a person's life, and it can be controlled with medication. You also have the issue of more babies surviving now that never would have before, therefore more problems to deal with.

One more time, YOU WERE NOT BORN 5 MONTHS EARLY. The earliest a baby can reasonably be expected to survive is 24 weeks. The absolute earliest one has EVER survived is 21 weeks 6 days...almost 22 weeks. You are trying to tell me that 35 years ago you survived at 20 weeks. I call BS because I KNOW better. Perhaps your mom had to lie about the date of her pregnancy? How much did you weigh? Looks to me like you need to have a talk with your momma. :)
 Ms. Beavenhouse
Msg: 755
Posted: 1/24/2008 11:35:27 PM
Sometimes early on-set bipolar (having bipolar symptoms at a young age) is misdiagnosed as ADHD or ADD. Central auditory processing disorder can also be misdiagnosed as ADHD. The ADHD label is throw out very quickly because it's the easy diagnoses. But it doesn't mean there aren't legitimate cases.

It's easy to say..well I turned out alright because my parents did this but you'll never really know what your potential could have been.

And debating with a parent who has successfully raised a child with special needs is ignorant because you never lived with their child, you have no idea what they have been through. You have no idea how much research and constant modifying of parenting is require to raise a well adjusted child. You have no idea how frustrating it is to have a doctor blame the parent so they can deny service, when medical attention is all is need to turn the situation around. Everyone has a bad story about a child on medication but how many positive stories do you hear? Why do you think that is? One of the reason is you don't hear about the positive is because an effective parent is too busy to whine.

There are some parents that don't know how to raise children and as a result the kids are out of control but you can't lump everyone in same category.
 bona dea
Msg: 756
Posted: 1/25/2008 4:58:01 AM
Ritalin.... - so much easier than good parenting.......

(I and doctors I work with think its a cop out).....

Bi-polar - completely different thing and much easier to diagnose once the child is older.....
 RubyRedMomma
Msg: 757
Posted: 1/25/2008 5:17:10 AM
First and foremost, I have a 5 year old who is ADHD and Bi Polar. So yes, they CAN be diagnosed younger than 18, I was diagnosed at 14. Secondly, I do personally believe that 90% of ADHD cases are over diagnosed, and parents who have not done what they needed to do as parents to teach a child certain behaviors, and let them run wild, but there is a percentage out there that I truly believe are ADHD/ADD. I think it has become horrible the over diagnosis of children now days, and I hate the medications. I have taken my child to 5 different places for studies, evaluations, etc... Because I did not want to believe he was ADHD. Not that it is a bad thing, but because I just didn't think my child was. I was not one of these parents pushing for it so they could go sit on disability and drug their child and turn them into a zombie. (Too many parents push different diagnosis on their kids so they can get disability for them, that's a whole nother thread!) Anywho. I knew there was something going on with my son, I seen the manic side of him so young it was scary. Me being bi polar and his personality/behaviors I took him in. That is where I ended up five psychiatrists later and 4 clinics later with the diagnosis.

HOWEVER, My son is Not a zombie. He still runs around, gets loud, enjoys life. He just doens't dip down like he used to into depressive states and his rageful fits. I refused to put him on certain medications, call me a bad parent or not, but when some pills are compared to crack, he's not going on those. I am very involved in his medical issues and very educated as to what pills are not approved by the FDA for use in ADHD or children. I think all parents should really truly educat themselves.

Also, teachers are pushing this issue too much also. Because a child has more energy than the next they immediately believe they are ADHD, and start the testings off. My nephew for instance, and he's not, I don't believe. I truly believe he has some anxiety issues due to my sister's narcotic ways, however I do not believe he is ADHD. But again, he's sitting there on meds. All because his teacher initiated the contact with teh Dr. and requested he get tested, and since a professional requested it he must be ADHD., right? Not.

So yes, it is over diagnosed, everyone knows that. But it is not impossible, it is a true problem. But because your kid is hyper or loud or has energy does not mean they are ADHD like so many parents/teachers believe now days. It's sad.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 758
Posted: 1/25/2008 6:54:01 AM
(Too many parents push different diagnosis on their kids so they can get disability for them, that's a whole nother thread!)

I noticed someone else mentioning the disability thing in this thread, previously. I have never met a single person who recieved disability for a child because of an ADHD diagnosis. I can't believe it would be possible, and if it is, needs to be changed immediately. I am sorry, ADHD is no reason for someone to get disability. The ONLY reason a child should ever get disability is if they have a condition severe enough that a parent absolutely cannot work and HAS to be with them 24 hours a day, or if the child is never going to be self sufficient and will require assistance their entire life. With the combination of proper parenting and, yes, many times medication, ADHD kids can not only succeed, but excel in life.

People are acting like you can just walk into a doctors office and say "hey, my kid won't sit still" and he will grab out the prescription pad and give you a lifetime of ritalin. I know with my son, it took tons of testing and evaluations......checking back from the day he was born all the way to that moment. it was not a "here, give him this and see what happens" sort of decision. I know there are some unscrupulous doctors and parents out there, but that certainly doesn't mean they are the majority. I truly believe that MOST people want what is best for their child. For me, medication was a last resort (as it should be for everyone) but when it came down to the choice of giving him meds or tossing his future, I felt the choice was already made.
 Ms. Beavenhouse
Msg: 759
Posted: 1/25/2008 7:41:05 AM
Comorbid symptoms are not easy to diagnose at any age. Bipolar disorder can have comorbid symptoms that appear to be ADHD.
 RubyRedMomma
Msg: 760
Posted: 1/25/2008 7:55:02 AM
It is sad, and personally should not happen, but there are tons and tons and tons of parents who get disability for ADHD. We do not, specifically because personally it is not a disability, but yes it happens all the time. I cannot count how many people have said... "Well, go get disability for him, he has a disability". It's not. But like I said, totally new thread...

I know personally it took tons of testing, and evaluations here for my son. However, like with any Dr. one will say no, the next will say yes. My nephew was NEVER tested for anything, and he goes to what is believed to be one of the most respected pediatritians in the area. Never had a darn test done. Literally, they walked in there with the teacher's evaluation, walked out with a prescription for Concerta. It happens, every single day. Our Dr. is not a pill pusher, and we do not even go to her for these types of meds, we have a psychiatrist, however it's out there, it happens, and it's sad.
 Johne102
Msg: 761
Posted: 1/25/2008 7:59:22 AM
Many in the school system push for this diagnosis...there are many cases where ADD or ADHD is realy a problem but in many cases it is not. Why would the school system push for a child to be diagnosed with something? Because it is easier for the school system. Some parents do noit want to take the time to be parents so they are looking for an excuse.

The school I attended would have had me medicated to suit them..I am so glad I changed schools. Some are not so lucky.

Incases where ADD oe ADHD is a real problem fine treat it but why do some go looking for it? They are looking for an easy way out. Proper parenting is the answer in some cases. A child is not a cookie and not all children can be raised/taught in school with a cookie cutter approach.
 angelah1975
Msg: 762
Posted: 1/26/2008 8:38:38 AM

I was born 5 months pre-mature

The WORLD'S youngest preemie to survive was born at 21 weeks. Here's the second youngest, born this year: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17237979/

You are claiming to have been younger. I call bullshit. Back when you were born, they didn't have the technology to keep a 21 week fetus alive. In fact, in 2002, there was a 2% chance of a preemie born at 22 weeks actually surviving.

You weren't born 5 months early. I'm betting your mom's doctor was wrong about your due date.
 Next Time Round
Msg: 763
Posted: 1/26/2008 10:19:07 AM
It's a cop out and in my case there were numerous factors contributing to the problem. The first was that I laid down with someone I was living common-law with who was highly unlikely to support a child since he was relying more on me to figure out a way. (An old habit that has it's early roots in childhood baggage.) There were also genetic factors on both sides to make the likelihood of some type of problem a higher risk.

My son was a forecep delivery and his head was extemely elongated at birth with hardly any sign of a soft-spot. Many babies are born that way, but the problem resolves itself in a few weeks from being mis-shapen within the birth canal. At eight months, however, there were still problems visible to the eye -- and his skull was not growing properly although any brain damage was indeed minimal.

The problem, however, was that there was frontal lobe damage which is the part of the brain that, among other things, is responsible to NOT going from zero to sixty when a person is frustrated. He was in day-care part time from five weeks old -- and if I could do it over again I just would have stayed home, applied for welfare, and raised my son myself. He needed far more early care than he would up getting. AndI know many moms who did a splendid job on welfare.

But I thought obtaining an education for myself and trying to work was the answer. And the school board refused to let him attend without ritilin. They also refused (initially) to home schooling. Damned if I did or didn't. I think the drugs had terrible lifelong side effects no matter what I bought into at the time...but once again, that's in hindsight. The greatest tragedy is that although many skills for controlling himself were taught to him, he never had the benefit of learning how without using medication except for one brief med-vacation & stay at home.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 764
Posted: 1/26/2008 10:26:27 AM

You weren't born 5 months early. I'm betting your mom's doctor was wrong about your due date.

He isn't listening. :) I have already pointed that out to him several times. However, during that era, there were still a LOT of very large "preemies" born. In order to hide the fact they were pregnant before they married they would claim a false due date. My guess is that is what happened. No doctor is going to be THAT far off on a due date.
 Johne102
Msg: 765
Posted: 1/26/2008 12:06:40 PM
All I can do is tell you what my parents and doctors told me about my due date.

Now why do schools look for a ADD or ADHD Diagnosis? No one has answered that but me...they want what is best for the system and is in some cases a cop out but not in all cases.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 766
Posted: 1/26/2008 12:29:06 PM

Now why do schools look for a ADD or ADHD Diagnosis? No one has answered that but me...they want what is best for the system and is in some cases a cop out but not in all cases.

Perhaps, in some cases at least, they see a kid they KNOW has potential and is not able to achieve that potential? I know there are cases where teachers would like to drug every child that ever acts up. I actually had a teacher (who was long past due for retirement, BTW) tell me she wished EVERY child was on something to make them calm. That is a frightening attitude, but fortunately, no one would have ever listened to her anyway. It is also not the norm. MOST teachers and MOST parents are trying to do their best to raise quality adults.

The way I see it is this, if you have a child with issues you need to explore every possible solution to those problems. If, in the end, the only workable solution is medication, you have no reason to feel guilt. If your child had any other condition needing medication you would give it to him. Just like I will not allow a doctor to give my children antibiotics for the sniffles, I wouldn't have allowed ADHD medication without thourough testing. Perhaps there are parents who don't care. There are also parents who insist on antibiotics for a cold. You cannot eliminate all the bad parents out there by judging the good parents who have no other choice but to give their child desperately needed medication.

It amazes me how many people keep saying "but what did they do before these medications". What did women unable to deliver their babies do before safe c-sections? They died. What did people with what are now easily cured infections do before antibiotics? They died. The world of medicine makes major advancements all the time. We should be able to take advantage of the opportunity to give our children a life they never would have had an opportunity for 50 years ago without being ripped apart by people who just have no clue.
 lynnaire
Msg: 767
Posted: 1/27/2008 5:54:09 AM
ok first of all my son has ADHD,ADD,BI-POLAR,ODD
so it does exsist but my mom and i was tlaking one day if you look back in the yrs most of us was born wehn everyone was doing very bad drugs and thought nothing of it in the 70's they thought it wouldnt hurt their kids well they got prenant no it didnt hurt them but it could of messed with their kids their babys at that it had ...

i say it is all these people doign drungs that is messing up the kids heads ..i didnt do drugs but the person i was seeing did maryjane and lord only knows what else he did ...but my son and his other daughter both have close problem except she has adhd,add,bi-polar,and ocd ...
so you tell me everyone stop thsoe damn drugs.....

i wish my son was normal it drives me nuts somedays one minute he could be loving on my girl the next he goes off on her for no reason ....and he has scared off alot of people i have dated..i deal with it but it isnt fair .. hey i just had t o say this isnt just people wanting kids on drugs....but i do think they need to study them alittle better not use my son a a ginnie pig because we havent found one yet that helps him and then they said with him going through puberty it will mess with everything and have to start all over adn meds that didnt work before might work now well we have tried all of them except 1 so where do we go now !!!comeon doctors get your heads out of your asses and figure this out im sick of my son not beable to controll himself in some ways becasue the meds didnt work right or it made some kind of side effect that made it worse .... well im done ...
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 768
Posted: 1/27/2008 8:03:25 AM
ok first of all my son has ADHD,ADD,BI-POLAR,ODD

i say it is all these people doign drungs that is messing up the kids heads ..i didnt do drugs but the person i was seeing did maryjane and lord only knows what else he did ...but my son and his other daughter both have close problem except she has adhd,add,bi-polar,and ocd ...
so you tell me everyone stop thsoe damn drugs.....

Alright, you say your son has multiple issues, most likely caused by parental drug use. You admit in your profile to having been married to an alcoholic. Your short patience and irritation with your son comes through clearly in everything you write about him. THEN you blame the doctors for not being able to control him with medication.
comeon doctors get your heads out of your asses and figure this out im sick of my son not beable to controll himself.....

THIS is exactly the type situation that makes people look down on everyone who has an ADHD or ADD kid and claim we are poor parents who are not trying.

It sounds to me like this child needs in some really good therapy and perhaps some classes (for you) to help you deal with him and his issues in a more positive fashion.
 Johne102
Msg: 769
Posted: 1/27/2008 8:56:59 AM
^^^^^^And that is the problem...some parents and teachers just want kids medicated so that their lives can be easier...therefore sometimes you get kids on something they should not be on. In some cases it is warranted but not all cases. With my experience I say try all other options before medicating a child. The is just my opinion.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 770
Posted: 1/27/2008 9:54:13 AM

Maybe it's time to dispell a few myths about ADD/ADHD.... Now, as I speak on this I ask all to allow me some freedom, as I do deal with (notice I did not say suffer ADD) ADD on a daily and personal basis. How? I am ADD.

Moving on though. By refusing the "Zombie Pills" and paying attention to what this does to me I have learned how to deal with it in a positive manner. I actually use it to my advantage most of the time now. Here are a few facts about it that most do not know or realize.

It is wonderful that you were able to find what works for you. However, that doesn't mean it will work for everyone. My son, too, has a "through the roof IQ", unfortunately, without something to aid him in controlling his body, he can't use his mind. I currently drive about 100 miles (back and forth) daily to take my children to the best school in the area. I do this for all of them, but mainly so he has teachers who can help him harness his abilities. You call the medication "zombie pills" but I have never allowed my child to be a "zombie". What you and so many others do not seem to realize is, if you have to put every ounce of your energy into making yourself focus, you miss what you were trying to focus on to begin with. I know that my child has unlimited potential. He far surpasses me intellectually so I am not able to teach him what he needs to know in order to live up to his potential. I have to seek out those who can. I consider his unlimited energy a tool, but right now, while he is desperately trying to learn all he needs to know, it is only in the way. I know him well enough to know that he will use it to help him later, right now he can't. I allow him access to anything he wants or needs to help him learn. He is currently self-teaching Spanish, he has owned his own computer since he was 5, we spent countless hours and as much money as is required searching out bookstores and buying anything he wants. His bedroom looks like a library. I allow him to dissect electronic devices (well, within reason, of course) and try to re-assemble them in different ways.....better ways. He has numerous Science books he uses to do experiments. a telescope, a microscope, you name it, the kid has the tools to help him use his intelligence and his energy. He also rides his bike, plays with our dog, we go for walks and hikes and rock and artifact hunting. We are trying to cover every base, but still HAVE to have medical intervention.

Just a little side note that your post made me think of. When he was tiny (between 2 and 3) he used to get a screwdriver and take the cabinet doors off and put them back on for fun. :) It was all he could do to lift them but he did it anyway.
 ymeee
Msg: 771
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2008 6:25:53 PM
so i see we 've got it these kids or adults do not learn in the same manner as the masses
and should probably be taught how to learn new things in there own way
rather than waiting to learn things in such a way as set out by the school system
to be put on the path of self learning rather than waiting to be taught is the way they are figureing this out gradually
keep in mind alot of people make alot of money on medication that will make people conform to society and why does everyone need to conform?
government
corporations
education
they are all making money by manipulation

what about this they only want to teach us the good stuff when we have to pay for it our selves
better medicate before anyone catches on i guess
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 772
Posted: 1/27/2008 7:27:08 PM
It boils down to one thing: If a child is truly ADD/ADHD and takes the medication, the medication will help him. If a child is not ADD/ADHD, the medication will make them even more hyper. Ritalin is a stimulant just like caffeine. It has an idiosynchratic (opposite) reaction and that's how it works. If a kid's brain is going crazy with electricty, the stimulant calms it down. If he has a 'normal' brain, the stimulant will only make the kid hopped up as if on too much Mountain Dew. Some people try a modified diet with no foods with red dye in them (there's more I just don't know about the diet), and sometimes it works for them. Good for them.

I think people do tend to rush to that diagnosis, or rush to their doctors office hoping for a diagnosis, but that is also the school not knowing how to handle a classroom of 30 kids. They can't spank them like they used to. I have two ADD/ADHD boys, who got it from me. I was diagnosed after them both after trying umpteen medications for depression that never seemed to work. I do not take meds myself, but when I do, they do help.

My oldest boy was off the charts in his testing to determine the diagnosis. He had NO friends because he was too 'in your face' and kids were put off by it. He did poorly in school because he couldn't concentrate. He was up and down (emotional lability it's called) and his moods were all over the place. No impulse control. Since he's been on the meds he is now very popular at school, gets good grades, has a lot of interests that he actually follows through with, and is the joy I always knew he could be.

It's a tough decision to medicate your children, and most people don't take it lightly. I don't really think you can speak to this issue unless you know someone who truly has it.

**edit**
1. Most ADD people are actually quite intelligent. ADD is tacked up as a disease, when in fact, it can be a very positive thing for individuals if it is harnessed and used, instead of being stifled. I am sure you are all confused now.

Nope, not confused at all. I know exactly what you're talking about.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 773
Posted: 1/27/2008 8:17:08 PM

Nope, not confused at all. I know exactly what you're talking about.

That was my thoughts exactly when I read that, as I am sure it is with most people who have dealt with true ADD or ADHD. :) Glad to see someone who knows that feeling. :)
 Ashleigh86
Msg: 774
Posted: 1/27/2008 9:58:00 PM
My 10yr old son was diagnosed in December '07 with combined ADHD (impulsive and hyperactive). He was failing in school, couldn't get more than his name on the papers, was in trouble and suspended for a week for behavior issues, had no friends (kids thought he was 'weird'), couldn't get homework done. He was angry all the time and frustrated that he knew all of the answers but couldn't put them on paper. At home, I would ask him to take out the garbage and he would start, but then get distracted. Sometimes, I'd find the garbage next to the front door, or even outside on the sidewalk!

I was skeptical about meds because I didn't want his personality to change. He's a bright, intelligent kid and is really sweet and loving. But, I was stressed out and frustrated with the school situation. I had tried behavior/parenting classes, punishments, rewards, grounding, bribery - you name it I'd done it. Finally, I agreed to a one-month trial of medication. If I did not see a DRAMATIC improvement he was off of them.

Last week, my son received an award at school for Most Improved Student. In one month he has done a complete turn-around. The change was immediate and amazing. He finishes all of his classwork and homework with no problems. He is making new friends and is happier than I have ever seen him. He's more helpful at home and is still the sweet, loving, funny kid that he has always been. Now, he's proud of himself and knows that he couldn't do the work before - not because he was stupid but because his brain chemistry is different. All the meds do is replace the chemicals his brain is missing. His self-esteem is rising and he looks forward to going to school rather than me having to drag him every day as I was doing before.

The principal of his school, who in December said my son was "ruining the integrity of the school program", apologized to me and said that in his 30 years career of education had never seen a child make such a huge improvement.
 singlemaninMD
Msg: 775
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2008 9:46:04 PM
Look into your school systems' programs. Many have a new program which allows the adhd child to get special help and take longer to do work. You have to apply. My son is ADHD and gets good grades and tests very very high. So high he is enrolled in grade seven in a program through college to start ACT, SAT tests etc... He gets lower grades (b"s and an occasional c) as he cannot focus to do homework and Mom is apparently too busy to see it gets done.

They flat out denied our request due to his grades. We wanted to see he achieves his maximum potential but the school feels his grades are good enough and denied the request. Nothing like paying in tens of thousands in taxes and the only service you wish to access they deny. School is about nediocrity at best not striving for the best they can be! So sad.

You may have a shot if kid is in classes and c's & d's. Good luck.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?