Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 no_1_bby
Msg: 171
view profile
History
ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out? Page 6 of 34    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34)
Rayray -
My son is 8 and diagnosed with HD and anxiety. Although I know something is wrong I agree, the Zombie meds suck. My son didn't gain a pound in 6 months. I took him off and started punishing him as, I believe, parents should.
I believe the meds are a cop-out for parents that are tired. Not lazy but, tired.
You see many parents are single and can only depend on themselves for help. I don't remember there being this many ADHD kids when there were 2 parents in the house.
Remember when your mom would say "Wait till your dad gets home"? I was scared to death.
And believe me when my dad got home I got the crap beat out of me.

Point is-I believe my son's problem is......His dad sucks! And isn't around to whop his A$$!

Believe me I love him more than life and he knows it. I'm just more of a pushover as are most woman.

God Bless you all.
We need a support group for this.

Ok.. so it's ok to get the crap beat out of you, but it's not ok to medicate?? Hmmm...

My 9 yo is better off in my house WITHOUT his father around to *beat the crap* out of him. Believe me, that was what it was like two years ago. My son has been on meds for 3 yrs now, and prior to that we did the non-medicate route... didn't work for us. I don't think the issue here is "I medicate, so therefore I'm right" or "I don't medicate, so therefore I'm right"... it's a case of whatever works for your family. It's an individual choice.

ADD/ADHD kids NEED stability, consistency, discipline, routine. I agree. *SOME* of them even require medication to help. I think if there is a case of more then one neurological issue happening, in most cases medication is the only thing to help. For me it's not a case of being lazy (which I admit I can be sometimes), or tired (which I am pretty much ALL the time!!), being a single parent (which I have been for 2 yrs), married and with a co-parent (who was about as helpful as t*ts on a bull when it came to our children)... it's about my son getting the best out of life that he can. The meds help him do this.

I strongly admire any parent who can deal with a child who has ADD/ADHD without medicating. Goodness knows I tried for 18 mo to 2 yrs. I was stressed out. My ex and I were fighting pretty much daily because of our son and his behaviour. I could have spent my whole day at the school with my older son every day because they were not able to *deal* with him. I've done the diet, supplements, metabolic route, chiropractic, homeopathic, naturopathic, behaviour modification, parenting classes, reward charts, timeouts, various forms of discpline, etc... been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, own the factory and now I'm broke because of it. Then I tried the meds. Overnight it was like night and day. He improved. Then he stopped improving and started regressing again. Then he'd improve. Then he'd regress. It took us two years to find the right combination of medications... remember.. he has multiple neurological issues... what works for some, doesn't work for others. Right now the meds work for us. I'm not a bad parent for having him on the meds. I certainly have never called anyone who doesn't medicate a bad parent.

I would be a bad parent tho if I failed to do the best for my child that I could.

We just need to remember that name calling, especially with adults, is not appropriate and it doesn't solve anything. It's all about respect. You respect me for my views and beliefs, and I will respect you for yours. Neither one of us is more right/correct then the other. And I don't happen to have to agree with your beliefs in order to respect you for having them. THIS is what the world needs more of.. not parents bashing one another for how they handle/deal with their children
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 174
ADHD and ADD the real thing or a cop out?
Posted: 11/10/2006 6:07:31 PM

I have a friend who's child is on ridalin, and the "zombie" pills is what they are. He is always moping around. Sure is school work is better but now he is always breaking down and crying hysterically. He doesn't smile or talk, just sits there and plays with his cars. Its wierd. She is thinking of taking him off, she wants her little boy back. She is also changing his diet, all healthy, all natural foods, I really believe this could be the problem. She has contacted a nutrionalist who says the same thing, alot of problems are caused by not eating the right foods. I will never medicate just parent alittle better.

If the child is behaving this way then it is his mother's responsibility to get him back to his DR. and get his meds changed. It took many attempts before we found something that worked for my son, but it was an absolute necessity that SOMETHING work. It was not a diet or a discipline issue......I even made all of his food from scratch from the time he was eating baby food to make sure he was eating right, he has two brothers and he is the only one with an issue of this type.

You say you will never medicate, just parent a little better. It is not always that easy. When I decided to medicate my son was when I realized I had two choices, I could give him a medication he desperately needs and watch him have the potential to be anything he desires, or I could flush his life down the toilet and get him his own refrigerator box now...........he would need it when he became a homeless person later in life.

The school was insisting my child was unable to learn....I knew better, but I also knew he had to have help to be able to focus and retain the knoweledge. He is now 9 and reading books written for adults because he got bored with the young adult category. If taking one tiny pill a day can prevent him from being considered mentally retarded and allow the brilliant child to surface, then I don't care who thinks I am a bad parent, I will medicate my child.

If a child is on the right medication for them they will not be a zombie. In fact, my son is still extremely difficult to manage most of the time. The meds take the edge off for him at school and that is it. Just a few minutes ago, while I was tucking his brothers in bed, and before I got to him, he melted a red crayon all over his reading lamp. Lfe with a true ADHD child is incredibly hard. If you ever have the joy of knowing one you will understand.
 bulldog1966
Msg: 175
Posted: 11/12/2006 3:54:59 AM
I can only speak to this out of my own experience, but here goes: When I was a kid, I was what was then called hyperactive. Had ADHD been as commonly diagnosed in 1970 as it is today, I would have been so full of zombie pills, I would have rattled like a castanet when I walked. Things were very different then, my father had his own cure for ADHD, though said cure was normally used to hold up his pants. Nothing focuses the mind like a stinging backside. My parents also eliminated all processed foods from my diet. Somehow, I made it through childhood.
Fast forward to 1990. My son is starting school, and every bit as hyper as I was. His unionized, putting-in-time-till-retirement teachers insisted that he had ADHD, and that he should be on medication. At that time, I had no drug benefit plan where I worked, and flat out could not afford the sky-high costs for medications of dubious benefit. My solution? The same as my parents. Literally overnight, all processed foods, of any type, disappeared from our house. Discipline, always strict but fair, gradually became absolute. I told him over and over, certain things were expected from, at home and at school. If he was unable, or unwilling,to find the self-discipline to make those things happen, that discipline would be applied FOR HIM. I also pointed out that I was the softest touch he'd encounter.
This applies both for children and adults equally, either you learn to control yourself, or you will be controlled. Prisons are full of people who never understood this.
Fast forward again to 2004. My son, unmedicated, receives his undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering at the age of 19.
Fast forward again to today. My son, 21 yrs old and after two years in the military, one spent in Afghanistan, has recently been promoted to sergeant, nearly unheard of in the modern army. He's never taken the zombie pills, probably never will.
Incidentally, if a teacher or even a doctor said your child should be given cocaine to make them sit still in class, would you give it to them? If your child is on Ritalin, you may as well be.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 176
Posted: 11/12/2006 7:57:25 AM
Bulldog, with all due respect, then your child never needed the medication, just needed proper prenting to begin with. If it was that easy then he did not have ADHD (and no, I did not even indicate you said it was easy). I am so insanely tired of parents who have never even seen a true ADHD child but KNOW their solution works. You had an active child. With three extremely active little boys, trust me when I say I KNOW the difference. My oldest son has no ability to control any impulse without something else. You are correct when you told your son that he would go to prison if he did not learn self control. Try to imagine watching your son trying to walk across the house and seeing every single muscle in his body twitching because he HAD to run but you wouldn't let him. Sit and watch him start hitting himself to try and stimulate SOMETHING enough to control his own body. I watched my child, my tiny child, at his absolute wits end ready to give up becasue no matter what he did he could not stop his body from doing what his body wanted to do. He lived in terror because he KNEW he was going to grow up uneducated and a criminal because he couldn't LEARN self control. He would sob and beg me to do something because he did not want to do the things he was doing. My youngest son has asthma. He cannot learn to breathe right and stop relying on that damn flovent, though I have not yet tried the belt. Perhaps today I will start that program?

Oh, one more little thing, I now know my son had ADHD and showed signs PRIOR to birth. While I was pregnant he never once stopped moving (no, I mean NEVER), I learned to sleep with PAINFUL kicks all night. At 25 weeks he stopped.......he had wrapped his umbilical cord entirely around his body and ripped his placenta loose from my body. He was delivered weighing 1lb. 14oz and spent the next three months in the NICU........most of that time drugged on valium and demerol because he was so active he couldn't gain any weight, an absolute requirement for his survival. And people still say he could have learned self control with proper parenting.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 177
Posted: 11/12/2006 10:15:13 AM
Wow, bewitching, I just had to comment. This is the first time I have seen another parent of an ADHD child mention the puzzle thing. At 6 my son completed a 1000 piece Crocodile Hunter puzzle (all browns and greens). I do not think I could have EVER made it through that one!!! Just thought it was cool to see that common connection there. :)
 dinnie
Msg: 178
Posted: 11/12/2006 1:53:40 PM
It is so nice to see someone who knows about this topic. You are 100% right in that the DR doesn't go straight to meds for this. I have taken my son to 5 Drs' for his AD/HD and not one of them tried to force meds on me. In fact each one of them told me not before he is 7 would he be put on them. At the start they advise putting kids into a structured enviroment such as a sport or things along those lines. To those who feel that simply changing what your child eats will calm them down, guess again not many out there realize that removing sugar from a diet makes little if no effect on them for there is so much natural sugars in food that it is made up for the added sugars we take in. Now i am not saying it will happen for every child but on average it has been proven.Now those who think that a child on meds for AD/HD acts like a zombie, you are so far from right, my 2 cousins have been on it for years and they are more respectful and allert on them then when they were not on them. It is a common misconception that it has this effect on children.
 bulldog1966
Msg: 179
Posted: 11/12/2006 3:28:24 PM
My son and I may or may not have, or have had, ADHD. I know according to the description from one or two previous posts, we both would have qualified.
One way or another, I believe that ditching the processed foods, and a regimen of consistent and strict discipline, as well as allergy testing, should be put in place before medication is even considered.
ADHD and ADD may very well be legitimate ailments, but as many previous posters have stated, there IS NO DEFINITIVE TEST. The best you can hope for is a "maybe, let's fill him with pills and see what happens". That being said, I believe this diagnosis is hugely overused. In speaking with their parents, I have discovered that eleven of the sixteen primary school age children who live on my block (That's right, ONE CITY BLOCK) are on medication for ADHD/ADD. This cannot in any way be considered normal. If ADHD or any other condition is so prevalent that it's affecting two out of three children, it's not a disorder, it's the norm, and parenting and education styles need to be altered accordingly.
Where I live, in Ontario Canada, it seems that any child who so much as has an off day in school is suddenly considered in need of medication. Burned out doctors, carrying a far higher than reasonable patient load are unlikely to perform all possible testing before placing a child on medication, when simply prescribing zombie pills is much easier and faster.
Teachers, whose union fights tooth and nail against any measure of accountability, prefer a class full of zoned out little robots. They're easier to manage if they do nothing but sit there drooling on themselves. They'll learn nothing, but that can always be blamed on the drugs. Public schools teach to the lowest common denominator, which means if your child is capable of tying his or her own shoes before reaching high school, he or she is in danger of wearing this label simply because they learned the lesson on the first day, and do not require two weeks of re-inforcement.
Big pharma is making a killing on drug sales, and too many parents are either too busy, too uninterested or too ineffectual to take control of the situation in their own homes.
Couple more points:
Some children apparently grow out of these kinds of problems, but some never do. Would you be so quick to put your child on meds, knowing it was a life sentence, that he or she would be drug-dependent for the rest of their lives?
Also, here's something a former acquaintance, a heavy drug user told me. If you take Ritalin tablets, crush them and snort or inject them, you apparently cannot tell the difference from cocaine. Personally, I'm not willing to turn a child into a crackhead, or close to it, simply to make them sit still.
 bulldog1966
Msg: 180
Posted: 11/12/2006 4:06:48 PM
Seems that some people just love to argue. Maybe we should help them out, start an arguement thread, where people can come to flame each other at will. No wussies please, if you can't take it, don't hand it out.
Any takers?
 bulldog1966
Msg: 181
Posted: 11/12/2006 6:34:51 PM
I am not easily insulted, and being flamed for my opinions, which are admittedly controversial in many cases, does not bother me at all. I try to make a valid contribution where I can, and am not aware of ever having posted simply to provoke a flame war. I have permanently left more than one thread when any useful discussion stopped, and the flame war took over. My posts are based solely on my own opinions, though I make an effort to have informed opinions. Meaning I will actually research a subject I am a little hazy on, before I post. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. I am aware this is a thread for ADHD/ADD, though at a couple of points, it seems to have been in danger of degenerating into a flame thread.
I was merely wondering if there might be a place here for such a thread, to provide those who feel the need to fight and flame an avenue to do so. I've even considered starting such a thread, possibly call it "Bulldog's Rants". Post my own opinions and let the flamers take their best shot. I'm not sure if that would be permitted though, and have not yet found an answer.
Back to the topic, I'm just concerned about the prevalence of supposed ADHD/ADD children, and the long term consequences of drugging children . It seems to be far too common, and I'm wondering how this came about, since it was unheard of twenty years ago.
 bulldog1966
Msg: 182
Posted: 11/12/2006 9:49:01 PM
My God, that's a smart kid! Keep trying, the solution you need is out there somewhere. I personally would not trust any doctor who, upon meeting a child for the first time, reached immediately for the prescription pad. If he can come up with that idea for the keys at five, you don't want to kill that kind of intelligence with drugs. Many adults would not have thought of that.
All I can suggest is to try to channel that energy and creativity. Point him in the direction of something he's interested in, and watch the fireworks. You just may have the next Einstein there.
 thisguy2
Msg: 183
Posted: 11/13/2006 12:06:13 PM
well i am very happy to say that of my 4 children, none has any signs or symptons of add or adhd. perhaps its my parenting skills, and yes along of course with the mothers. i feel that for to many things in todays life pills are used to treat. a child with energy is a child that needs something to do, when my kids get raring to go, i take the to the park, wear off some of the energy then we come home and do whatever,, usually watch a movie. i have mind you seen one child, my ex wifes child that is uncontrolable, he cant be trusted around animals or other kids, you litereallly have to watch him,, and i mean acutally watch him all the time or he will injure an animal or another child. my ex did not see this as a problem but seen it as tho he was just playing rough, we acutlaly had friends ask us not to bring him around their child, he is one child that should be taken to see what is wrong with him, and no i didnt raise him, we had a very short marriage.
 thisguy2
Msg: 184
Posted: 11/13/2006 12:28:45 PM
apparently i have been gifted with wonderful children and dont know the differnce, or is it that i feel a hyperactive child is just a child with lots of energy. guess i see the cup as half ful.
 allusnine
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2006 3:57:41 AM
How dare you ask if ADHD or ADD is real or a cop out, yes, both diseases are real, although some do diagnose children who are just very active with this. If you research this, you will find out that ADHD/ADD is a chemical imbalance in the brain, on the right dosage of medication children are not zombies but are able to focus on their school work. Both of my children are either ADHD or ADD. My eldest was on Ritalin until she was in middle school then the Doctor took her off of te medication and she learned to focus herself.
My son is ADHD along with having a mild form of CP.
If your friend does not want his son on medication, there are other ways to control the symptoms of ADHD, he could try diet modification, behavior modification, etc...
There are websites he or you could lookup dedicated to ADHD that has different ways of coping with children that has ADHD.
I do know that it took at least 6 months of observation at my son's school along with at home before he was diagnosed with ADHD, so whether or not your friend allows the Doctor to just say "yes, he has ADHD, here is some pills," your friend can ask for an complete evaluation.
 shar76
Msg: 186
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2006 10:00:40 PM
I have always thought ADHD was the real thing. My family has a long history of mental illnesses. My son being one of the latest in a long line. He has been diagnosed with sever ADHD, oppositional defiance disorder, bipolar and a pending diagnosis of aspergers autism. When he was first diagnosed I tried the health food route and found for him it didn't work so he was put on medications. Unfortunately we now play what I call the drug game where we switch drugs until one works. He is eleven and has been on medications since he was eight and has been diagnosed since he was seven. But I also have a friend who is ADD and he uses the nutritional path and it works for him. I think the treatments need to be as individual as the people are. As well as the drugs we see a family councellor and a child and youth psycologist, these also help the parents deal with the stress of raising these children. But I am a single parent and I say keep at it because in the long run they are all worth it. Never give up. javascript:smilie('')
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 189
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2007 11:04:56 AM
they don't diagnose younger children because of the interaction with hormones and neurotransmitters and the overlap with several complex diagnoses, as well as not wishing to doom a person who might get better via the various stages of neurodevelopment. for example hallucinations can be signs of schizophrenia or bi-polar or post trauma or chemical dependency. that being said, bi-polar is a lot more complicated than ad/hd, alhtough recent research has suggested there is a continuum. and yes it is inherited. remember the diagnosis (wrap some lines around a complex set of symptoms with some falling within the box and some without), is mainly so a dr. can provide a dx and prescribe drugs "legally". that is western medicine. it has it's good and it's bad.

but getting back to your question, the official dx of ad/hd or plain add is relatively easy to assess. they try some time released concerta. it either works immediately or it doesn't. there is a coming off period and there are food issues. i used to feed my kid a lot before and after so he wouldn't lose weight. it took him a while to adjust when he came off the pill in the evening. there are other issues such as kids not wanting to take the pill and hiding it under the tongue (they feel funny about not being "normal") and some kids are selling the pills for drugs in school--it calms them down (reverse effect) but gets others high. it makes you focus if you are ditzy, but if already focused it can heighten the intensity.

numerous strides have been made for kids with real ad/hd who take meds. i wouldn't judge if she has a competent dr. you wouldn't tell a diabetic not to take insulin. but then again, not many people are told they have diabetes if they don't. nor does it mask or overlap with other symptoms. but again, the ad/hd meds work or don't not complicated, except maybe determining dosage.

now if it's anxiety posing as ad/hd they might try an anti anxiety med such as wellbutrin. the problem there is that if it doesn't work you start getting into the other stuff of figuring out what does. everyone is different and that's why some people luck out and others go through hell with their meds. my other fost/adopt kid, sibling of the first mentioned, had severe post trauma and may have bi-polar (hard to tell when a person is "crystal mething" /;self-medicating as well). as her hormones iron out and she gets off drugs (so far, so good thank G-d), we will see.

bi-polar is so hard to treat as there are so many different kinds. my friend got hers in order in her mid twenties, but she had to change drugs often. hers came about after pregnancy and her mom was put in a mental instittution in the days they had no help for the dx. it's a very difficult one because if you medicate the depression w/o a stabilizer, it can swing in the opposite direction and that's a real good high, so the person may not wish to get rid of it and then WHAM, a bit later they are depressed and suicidal. they also cannot sleep.
 luv6980
Msg: 190
i agree
Posted: 1/28/2007 8:10:46 PM
For the people that understand and have kids and themselves that have ADHD i appluded you, it is a mental illness that is very hard to handle sometimes.

My son was diagnosed with ADHD, OCD, and Aspergers. He went through 2 years of testing went through 13 different doctors with all the same results. He had speech problems, and now that he takes Concerta a low dose he can speak great and actually has a vocabulary of a 13 yr old.

So for those people that think it is a cop-out try spending a week with a child that has any of these symptoms and think you will last. You all need to get a reality check, everyone thinks that busting a kids ass will work well it doesnt all the time. I used to bust my kid's butt when he missed behaved, and still do. But there is a big difference. Maybe you need to do some research before opening your mouths and saying shit you dont know about.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 191
i agree
Posted: 1/28/2007 8:23:23 PM
You know, for every parent who has a child with ADHD or any of the other mentioned disorders, it is so easy to understand. We KNOW it is real, we KNOW it is not a cop out. However, no one is listening. They aren't going to listen no matter what you say.

Had what I thought was becomming a great friend recently say to me upon hearing my oldest has ADHD (and this is a direct quote) "I am so sick of hearing this shit about ADHD, every kid in America has it. If you weren't too lazy to bust the little bas**rd's ass once in awhile he would behave". I was angry, I was hurt, and I (of course) immediately ended the friendship.

I have three beautiful, intelligent, well mannered little boys. One has ADHD.....it is obviously not a parenting issue. However, like I said, no one else cares.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 192
i agree
Posted: 2/4/2007 9:33:21 PM
Just wanted to add this one thing. I just did the final check of my kiddos for the night. My oldest, my most difficult, is last because of the location of the bedrooms. It was one of the rough days. Sunday, no meds today. A break for his little system, a day of hell for me and his brothers. He is the sweetest, kindest, most intelligent and compassionate, most brutal, spiteful, vicious, impulsive person I have ever met. Days like today, when I just want to run away, I can see in his eyes that if he could, he would run away too. Away from himself. How can anyone judge? How can anyone say it is not real? I just don't know. All I do know is that I looked at him sleeping, tiny and perfect, and tonight like so many nights before, I will lie in bed with tears running down my cheeks, wishing life was perfect for him. Wishing it was at least fair.
 jefcoat
Msg: 193
view profile
History
i agree
Posted: 2/4/2007 10:28:56 PM
I have adhd. I was diagnosed with add when i was 8 and they added the h in when I was 19. From all my research that I have done on my condition i will gather that most people will discover that the children who are violent have other conditions such as ocd, or bipolar. I can not keep my attention on one particular item or thought and am hyper. How did I controll it simple diet and discipline. I have to know exactly what I need to do planning is very important in my life. Also eating chocolate sets me off. I know what I can and can not do. I excersice often which helps with my hyperactivity. I am also reserching things. Mind training to help learn to maintain attention.

i have dicovered that those that need to take meds are either having another problem and being misdiagnosed or are being forced by parents, doctors, teacher. ADD and ADHD alone do not require meds it are the other conditions that do.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 195
Posted: 2/5/2007 9:12:42 AM
nascargal.....just wanted to tell you, Concerta IS ritalin. It is a timed released ritalin. That is what my son takes. Standard ritalin didn't work for him but Concerta has been the best thing that ever happened for my child. We tried a lot of different meds before we settled on Concerta. It was the only one that didn't change his personality at all. Just gave him those few seconds to focus before acting.......the only thing he needed. Give an ADHD kid a cup of strong coffee sometime. See what happens. It stimulates the same part of the brain the meds do. Instead of a bouncing off the wall kid you will have a hyper kid but with increased focus. It is pretty amazing.

It is really cool, jefcoat, that you are able to diagnose EVERY SINGLE CHILD with ADHD, sight unseen. That is pretty amazing stuff!!! Why don't you now cure cancer, 'K. :)
 jefcoat
Msg: 196
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2007 6:49:52 PM
Sweet Fish,

I think you need to actually read my post. At no time did I ever diagnose every child. I was stating my own opinion on this issue. My opinion is based lengthy ongoing research and observations and discussions with parents and individuals with ADD and ADHD.

Also there are treatments that have assisted in the removal of cancer. But this post is not about that.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 197
Posted: 2/5/2007 7:19:59 PM
Read your post. Just read it again, and it has not changed a bit. This right here
i have dicovered that those that need to take meds are either having another problem and being misdiagnosed or are being forced by parents, doctors, teacher. ADD and ADHD alone do not require meds it are the other conditions that do.
is YOU trying to claim you can definitively diagnose every ADHD child who needs meds with another disorder. Don't make claims then try to back down.
 jefcoat
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2007 7:38:15 PM
Sweet Fish

I am not backing down. Please remember my posts. I encourage continue to research the topic in your own time. You will discover that ADD and ADHD people generally do not need meds and are not violent. You will learn that those who are violent will later be diagnosed with another disorder such as bipolar or obsessive defiance disorder.

As for my post I am reading what you are quoting. Again i will say At no time did I diagnose I shared my opinion. You don't have to like it nor do you have to accept but to put words into my mouth is not proper. I ask that you try to think abit more rational. And I also encourage you to read and reread posts before jumping to an attack.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 199
Posted: 2/5/2007 7:52:04 PM
Not only did I not 'attack' I did not put words in your mouth. A direct quote from you does not say it is an opinion, it says that ADD and ADHD people DO NOT need meds. The word generally was not added until this last post.

I do not have to be encouraged to research anything when I am living with and researching ADHD daily. As for the extreme violence some parents have mentioned, yes, there is obviously something seriously wrong. However, you cannot say it is not just another form/degree of ADHD without KNOWING the situation. Thankfully, even though my son can be extremely hard to handle, I never have to fear for the other children, the pets, or my safety. Aparently, some do. But, as the parent of a child with ADHD who does not only need meds but REQUIRES them to be able to function in society, I am saying you are WRONG.
 jefcoat
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2007 7:59:49 PM
Whatever. So I guess That as aperson who suffers with ADHd most of my life and all the hard work I do daily to ensure that I function with out one pill is wrong. i will not back down from my view and hopefully when you do some homework you will discover that a child with ADD or ADHD does not need drugs.

When I was first diagnosed I was the kid that would have tantrums cause things did not go my way. I would destroy things in those tantrums. However strict discipline and structuring my daily routine is what I need to deal with the issue. but I appearently know nothing about the condition so
i will allow you Sweet Fish to continue thinking that your right and I am diagnosing every child with ADD or ADHD. Even though you know that I have never said that.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >