Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > I just quit smoking 4 days ago .......Any tips/advice?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 macks
Msg: 101
I just quit smoking 4 days ago .......Any tips/advice?Page 5 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
Congrats UV, give it awhile, your tastebuds come back, as does your appetite ( not a great thing, but great to taste the food you are eating, lol ), you will feel alot better in the long run, you might be a bit fatigued in the beginning as the nicotine does not give you that rush, but you will eventually get away from it. Find something to occupy yourself with...gum....ju-jubes,,,gummi bears, whatever... Congrats
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 102
view profile
History
I just quit smoking 4 days ago .......Any tips/advice?
Posted: 1/26/2006 5:08:18 PM
awesome, tunia!
can you believe ya ever where a smoker?
sometimes i feel a wave of a nervous little bit, but no real desire to smoke, thank God.
it passes or i start moving and deflect the damn irritating nervous thing i call a tic...
it's something that will take a bit of time; i can't expect my mind/body connection to
"get it" overnight; i AM human, lol...
i have been keeping to myself more lately, being extra nice to myself.
except for that stint, shopping the other day...

thank you macks, i do appreciate you kind words;
and everyone here, thanks for all the support!
and alis cat started it all in this post here, hiya, and good goin, girlie!
smoochies!
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2006 8:01:30 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060127/hl_nm/smoking_dc

i just saw this:
Smokers more likely to quit if decision is spontaneous Thu Jan 26, 7:01 PM ET
LONDON (Reuters) - If you really want to give up smoking then do it.

Research by British scientists shows that smokers who decide to quit immediately, without making plans about how or when, are more likely to succeed.

"Contrary to what experts had previously believed the idea that you have to plan your quit attempts ahead of time isn't necessarily true," said Robert West, a professor of psychology at University College London.

West and his colleague Taj Sohal questioned 1,900 current and ex-smokers in England about their efforts to kick the habit. They discovered that nearly half of all attempts to quit were spontaneous.

Smokers who decided and stopped immediately were also 50 to 60 percent more likely to succeed.

West, who reported the research in the British Medical Journal on Friday, said the findings do not imply that planned attempts to quit are counterproductive.

But the results suggest the state of mind and motivation of the smoker is important for how successful the attempt to quit will be.

West urged smokers who have not managed to quit to keep trying. "The number of times you have tried to quit in the past isn't related to how likely you are to succeed in the future. It's another roll of the dice," he added.

what do YOU think?!
 Little Lady
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2006 4:48:17 AM
All those that have quit/stopped, could you please update.

Day you stopped......... Health progression

It would be nice to understand a bit better how your body/health is reacting, so some will know what is in store.
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2006 5:18:13 AM
i quit the day after Christmas.
at first didn't really feel anything i'd describe as a craving;
but some defintite nervousness.
i've had a backslide (with a cig one night...)
felt blah the next day and also felt some real tiredness too.
i'd say i had about a week that i felt "grey" or a down; but that passed.
now i have returned to my teen habit of nailbiting;
and eating too much in spurts, but
found diverting my attention in any way, getting up & moving,
excercise and/or a big glass of water helps a lot.
my eyes don't tear; i don't hack,
not an asthma attack...
no real hacking or hacking anything up;
i was kinda disappointed;
why didn't anything come up n outta my lungs?!

i feel best about knowing i quit and feeling easier to breathe.
and everone else?
 katvalleau
Msg: 106
Posted: 1/30/2006 12:21:32 PM
I quit December 17th so it's been 6 weeks.
I used the patch and the first four weeks were the toughest.
I gained 5 lb's but started walking 3 miles 3-4 times a week.
I feel confident that I won't start again because when I walk by smokers I think, "I'm so glad that's not me anymore."
I love having my time back again.
I hate having my time dictated by anything or anyone, smoking was a bad offender of my need for freedom.
I had a bad day yesterday and thought, "I would love a cigarette right now," but it was not serious enough to make me get in my car and go get one. Instead I did a meditation and woke up in a much better mood this morning.
I still say to myself and my children, "I don't smoke, I don't smoke." But then, I'm a dork!!!
Good wishes to you all and congrats to all those who have stopped!!!
Kat
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2006 10:26:31 PM
double post
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2006 10:28:16 PM
I wish someone could give me a "magic bullet" to help me quit! I bought a box of the patches back in August, and said as soon as I walked in the front door from my vacation in September, the patches were going on! It's now almost February, and the box is unopened.
 Little Lady
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2006 10:31:13 PM
I am having the same problem, but I have the inhaler
 weba
Msg: 110
Posted: 2/1/2006 4:55:20 AM
Wheeww..it's toughest thing next to natural child birth. I purchased bags of tootsie roll pops. The white stick out of my mouth simulated smoking and I brushed my teeth afterward because of the sugar. It helped get through the hard times. I never liked smoking after brushing. I bathed alot and repainted the inside of my house. I was amazed at the nicotine on the walls. I "smoked" many red tootsie roll pops..every time I see them today I laugh. I thought the first week was equal to sticking needles under my fingernails...but it does go away and you'll find more energy.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2006 7:44:24 PM
Actually, nicotine is odorless and colorless!
What you saw on your walls is TAR(YUCK!)! Too bad that vomiting emoticon isn't on here! It would be quite appropriate!
 docholiday740
Msg: 112
Posted: 2/1/2006 9:04:28 PM
you are a better man (whaterver) than I am. I am still trying. More power to YOU grasshopper. Stay at it, Kat! Prayers and thoughts for ya and of ya!
 docholiday740
Msg: 113
Posted: 2/2/2006 4:34:29 PM
Does any one who has quit recommend a gradual weaning over cold turkey? I think if I quit cold turkey, I am gonna kill somebody/something. Then I will end up like "justgotout". Check his profile. Ya don't want me to end up like that guy do you? Any of you?
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2006 9:21:08 PM
DAMN!!! Projectile vomitting!!! ICKY!:P
 Little Lady
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2006 10:52:15 AM
How is everyone's energy level? Those that quit of course.
How long was it before you noticed?

Yes I am going for all the information I can get because when I stop again I want to have different stages to look forward to as a prize for getting there. Or something like that.

The research I have done is not as complete as you have all been and I do appreciate it very much.
 darkcloud
Msg: 116
Posted: 2/3/2006 11:51:44 AM
the things i've noticed is that it's alright to fail when you're trying to quit. i mean that as long as you're not smoking it's ok. it's a tough go, i find it's the hardest habit to quit.(i've had a few) and successfully quit them all. there's no shame.

as for energy levels........who the hell knows, i have'nt figured it out yet. i know i've been getting up earlier, and doing more with my free time. still got to quell this picking and eating.

pg.......hey babe :)
 Little Lady
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2006 1:30:51 PM
Miss P,
It is well documented that smoking does interfer with sleeping. Apparently the chemicals interfer as well as the desire to have just one more cigarette before you go to sleep, or get up in the night to have one.

I do thank you all for the words, and reguardless of whether you think they might be helpful when I try it again this thread will stay open on my puter for constant help and support. So I greatly appreciate it. I understand that many others are finding support here as well.

Please keep up the with the kindness.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2006 8:34:06 PM
You know... that's one thing I've never done, is have to get up in the middle of the night to smoke.
 naturedoc
Msg: 119
Posted: 2/3/2006 8:45:30 PM
I quit smoking once a year for almost 20 years before I finally managed to stay quit.

That last time, about 16 years ago, I used acupuncture, electro-acupuncture (aural points), and hypnosis and drank gallons and gallons of water and forced myself to walk outdoors about six or seven miles a day. It all really seemed to help.

How long 'til the fog completely lifts, the synapses return, the energy and *emotional* libido bounce back? For me, six weeks. Starting getting quite a bit better after about 14 days. But didn't feel like lively me for six weeks.

How long 'til I didn't want a cigarette any more?

It's been 16 years and if I go into a smokey room, get smoke on my skin, on my clothes, in my hair and then don't shower it all off before falling asleep, I'll awaken sometime in the night and find myself reaching for a pack of cigarettes that no longer lives on the nightstand. Will awaken with cravings. That never completely goes away, I don't think. But the crazy desire dies pretty quickly. A couple weeks. And then it's about breaking the HABIT. You're so conditioned to smoke at specific times for specific reasons. When feeling uncomfortable socially, immediately after a meal, etc. That's the habitual part. Takes a while to build new habits.

The strong physical addiction itself breaks pretty quickly, maybe 14 days or less. You quit getting the terrible foggy mind and uncoordination and irritibility and tickling, tingling lungs and immense tiredness or shakiness that are all nicotine withdrawal symptoms and signals.

And some people slide right through with very little of those symptoms. Different people, different constitutions, different addiction levels and profiles.

Hope that helps. And, hang in there. It's really worth it.

Best,
kwc

P.S. I'll tell you something else that helped me a lot.

I allowed 7 seven days before I quit as observation time. Carried a tiny ring-bound notepad (pocket size) with me and recorded the time and situation of every smoke, every day for seven days, counting down to Day Zero when I would quit.

And I sat with the notebook for a few minutes each day, looking through it, and strategizing OTHER things I could do at those times, in those situations, once I quit. And sort of mentally rehearsed doing those other things. One of the things I strategized and promised myself was what I called "fresh-air breaks." At the time I quit, smoking was just being widely banned in public buildings and so smoker's took smoke breaks any time they needed. I observed that I took smoke breaks frequently when feeling strssed. So I told myself that whenever I had a craving or a particularly stressful feeling, I would allow me a fresh-air break outside. A walk in the sun, around the block. Was helpful. But found about six weeks after I'd quit that my editor (boss) was less tolerant of a non-smoker taking fresh-air breaks than he was of smokers taking cigarette breaks. Times have changed. Whole world is less tolerant of smokers taking cigarette breaks now.

The idea of carefully observing, recording each cigarette and the situation and feelings associated with it for seven days counting down to your last day might be helpful for those who are considering quitting. I became aware of how little I really enjoyed smoking and how much I was using smoking as a stress-coping mechanism. And it gave me time to strategize other behaviors and constructive habits to counter the habit of smoking.
 Little Lady
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2006 10:20:33 PM
I thank you kindly Naturedoc, as well as all others that are trying so much to help.
 docholiday740
Msg: 121
Posted: 2/4/2006 5:03:27 PM
I finished my last pack ever (please please please) last night. (Friday) I bought that pack Wednesday morning, I think. I am used to a pack during an 8 hour work day. (I can smoke at my work station out in the shop). Then another pack while I watch tv, or do whatever, go to sleep, wake up, take a pee, check my e-mail, smoke some more, and at dawn, buy another pack: repeat. Two packs a day. I made this pack last 2+days!!. I haven't had any today, and I would really like to strangle something. Trying to hang out on the humor forums to keep my mood up, but nothing seems funny right now. But I am not giving up. I will be joining a gym on payday because I already noticed myself eating more. I am nervous, twitchy, irritable, and most of all, bloody determined!!!!!!! I am done. Wish me luck. I am going to need it. Any body having a bad day who wants to volunteer to get strangled? Anybody?
 fieryredheadtn
Msg: 122
Posted: 2/5/2006 4:48:59 PM
Hang in there...its tough but worth it....
Have you visited quitnet.com?
I through away my cigs on january 2, 2006--and havent had one since....
That was the day I made the commitment to me... I spent a couple of weeks working toward that day...
I have been cranky at times..tired at times...moody at times....but I know after a few months it will be better..and i can see it getting better bit by bit...

I lost 7 lbs since I quit smoking...so thats been good....

And now I have a Y membership that I am going to begin using this week....

So good luck....and while i wont volunteer for a strangulation...i will volunteer for a vent now and again..
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2006 8:36:01 PM
doc,
c'mon, you can do this IF you want to;
and IF you made or make a committment to yourself.
if you are ready to stop, and ready to face all that you have already been,
please know that what you are experiencing IS the worst; that's IT.

i hope this brings you some consolation, some relief.
it'll never be worse than what you have already experienced, and you have made it thus far;
so you do indeed have the fortitude and internal strength to beat the tobacco companies and the addiction! you CAN do it; because you ARE doing it!

don't worry so much now about eating more or anything else;
the committment you made to yourself is priority right now.
you can compensate in regards to any weight gain soon,
as soon as you feel stronger in the no more smoking situation...

there's lots of info and help these days on the net;
forums and chatrooms, etc.
i haven't used them,
but i DID pray for help in releasing my cravings so i could do what i needed to.
i believe prayers are answered,
and i can say that was the most selfish prayer i have prayed in decades.
and we are here for each other; thanks to alis cat we have this forum.
good luck to you!
 naturedoc
Msg: 124
Posted: 2/6/2006 10:34:45 PM
Not allowed to post URLs on Fish. But those of you seeking to work up the level of righteous indignation that helps to build the immense commitment required to bust this habit might want to Google the terms "freebase nicotine, ammonia."

You'll learn that certain additives (and the manipulation of natural substances in tobacco), such as ammonia (which can be both an additive and a natural component), have been used by the manufacturers to turn ordinary tobacco into "crack" tobacco and to render pretty useless the nicotine milligrams rating you find on the cigarette packages.

Ammonia and other substances transform nicotine into what is known as "freebase nicotine" which is absorbed into the bloodstream much, much more quickly and thoroughly. Freebase nicotine delivery ratings aren't listed on cigarette packages. So in fact, manufacturers have engineered some low-tar-and-nicotine cigarettes to deliver a more potent and more addictive dose of nicotine than their traditionally rated "high nicotine" counterparts.

Will knowing this help you quit? Maybe. Maybe not.

Gathering ammunition to help you decide that quitting is the most important thing in your life that you can be doing during the next three weeks (or whenever you choose to set aside the time to make such a commitment) WILL help. Take it from someone who failed to quit at least 20 times--and returned to smoking once after having "quit" for two years--that it wasn't until I decided that I had to make quitting more important than anything else for a few weeks--more important than my comfort, my relationships, my job, my temperament, my "cool image"...anything--that I finally succeeded. If you truly make it your highest priority, and find all the compelling reasons you need to support that, and warn and seek support from all those that you know will be affected by your moments/hours/days of insanity during your initial shakeout, you WILL quit this time. And then, if you remind yourself of what all you risked and sacrificed to quit--and all the pain and resolve you went through doing it--and all the people who rooted for you and helped--you will stay quit. But it will take constant vigillance for years.

Prepare for a major, major fight. A campaign. And expect to win it.

Who knows. Maybe you will be one of those lucky people who finds the going easy and experiences virtually no discomfort when they give up tobacco. But most people aren't that lucky. Best to prepare for the worst. And be prepared if it comes, ready to wrestle with the beast, over and over for a few weeks. And be pleasantly surprised if you sail right through.
 Little Lady
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2006 2:22:53 AM
You can post URLs of Google it is a sponsor of this site. You can also post ones that are informative such as news, relevent information to the thread or health documentation. There are a listing of what is allowed and if I am not mistaken these and a few others are permitted.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > I just quit smoking 4 days ago .......Any tips/advice?