Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > I just quit smoking 4 days ago .......Any tips/advice?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 katvalleau
Msg: 101
I just quit smoking 4 days ago .......Any tips/advice?Page 5 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
pgoop... I think it gets easier and the cravings get less intense as time goes on. It's been over four weeks and a craving for a cig is dying down. I still have those stress moments but I've taken up walking three miles whenever possible or yelling back at my boss when not. Of course yelling at my boss isn't the best choice so I try to keep that to a minimum and the walking to a maximum. LOL
My biggest challenge is trying to remember and find a way to take a time out when I'm stressed. I used smoke breaks to do exactly that. Is anyone else finding healthy ways to manage their reactive emotions or do you think they will mellow out too?
Congrats to all who have made it this far!!!
Kat
 ShadowKnight59
Msg: 102
view profile
History
I just quit smoking 4 days ago .......Any tips/advice?
Posted: 1/20/2006 9:02:33 AM
When Quitting Smoking is a Family Affair
Source: HealthDay

(HealthDay News) -- The family that smokes together may also quit together.

That's the theory behind a new program designed to help relatives of lung cancer patients kick the habit.

Sponsored by Duke University Medical Center, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and the Durham VA Medical Center, the "Family Ties" smoking cessation program provides stress management and coping skills to relatives of lung cancer patients. Creators of the program believe this type of counseling will make it easier for people to kick the habit.

"Nicotine addiction is such a powerful force that even the heartbreak of watching a family member die of lung cancer often isn't enough to convince smokers to quit," said Dr. Lori Bastian, an internist at Duke. She noted that just 15 percent of smokers stop when a relative is diagnosed with lung cancer.

Physical addiction to nicotine is usually targeted in smoking cessation programs, while the psychological and social factors are often ignored, Bastian said. The Family Ties program targets those issues.

"A nicotine patch may not be enough. We have a group of smokers who are often interested in stopping, but don't have the tools needed to be successful. Family members often tell us they are motivated to quit but the stress of caring for their relative with lung cancer makes it the worst time in their lives to try," Bastian said.

She and her colleagues identify potential participants by asking lung cancer patients for the names of relatives who may be willing to try to quit smoking.

Half the relatives will receive brochures and an audio cassette that outline the dangers of smoking and offer tips on how to quit, along with free nicotine patches. The other relatives will receive the same materials, along with six telephone counseling sessions in which they're taught coping skills and stress-management tools.

People in both groups will be tracked for a year after they complete the 12-week intervention.

"Our hypothesis is that smokers who receive counseling will be more likely to quit smoking. We are hoping for a 25 percent to 30 percent success rate, which appears to be low but would be a significant improvement over the current rate," Bastian said.

----

More information: The American Cancer Society has more about quitting smoking.

----
 Pgooperman
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2006 9:22:26 AM
12th smoke-free day here! Whoooooooohooooooooooo!!!!! I know I'm not out of the woods yet, but this is long for me so far and my resolve is still pretty strong.

Congrats to those who are sucessful so far and hang in there and don't give up to those that aren't yet. You will be. You just gotta be ready.

Petunia G.
 ShadowKnight59
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2006 7:52:02 PM
Congrats for sticking to it. Last Thanksgiving made one year for me...I feel tons better.

Kevin
 Little Lady
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2006 7:55:37 PM
@Petunia,
Thank you for being such a support to everyone. I had searched this thread when I decided to quit. Not being very fortunate at it but with you keeping it active and doing all you are I know it will be here when I try again. Hopefully soon.

You are also being such a good example.
Thanks again,
LL
 New-Beginnings
Msg: 106
Posted: 1/21/2006 5:21:30 AM
I was more of a "social smoker", and smoked for about 5 years. I quit in 1992. I know it was dumb, being that I have asthma and all. What made me quit, was the fact that my father was diagnosed with emphysema. He was coughing allot and coughing up nasty looking spit. I started noticing that I too was coughing more than usual, and the asthma started to get worse for me. I then realized that I didn't want to die from lung disease, because after watching my father die from it, it is NOT the way I want to die. I have a couple fears, a fear of falling, and a fear of suffocating. That is how my father died, he suffocated, because of emphysema. Trust me, it is no pleasant way to leave this world. All I can say, is good luck! You have to want it bad enough to quit for you, you owe it to yourself to do this. It is worth it!
 Pgooperman
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2006 6:51:05 AM
Thanks, Shadow, and congrats to you as well!

New Beg, my aunt died of emphysema and my father has it as well. He's on oxygen too. I have been more concerned about getting emphysema than cancer since it seems to run in my family!

Thank Gawd you quit smoking. I can't even imagine smoking when you have asthma! My heart really goes out to folks with asthma. My brother had asthma, and I saw how rough it was for him. So again, congratulations for kicking the nasty habit!

Little Lady, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for you—even if not now, soon I hope! How are you doing Ultra? Dare I ask since you haven't said recently?
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2006 10:48:43 AM
i broke down; i had a cig the other night when a gf came by for dinner...
i have ashtma, so even the ONE had me feeling liek shit yesterday.
she left me 2 on the coffee table, but no way...

i can't believe i did that; BAD ULTRA!
i STILL feel crappy about it.
physically and mentally!
i know i ought not beat myself up about it;
but i deplore failing at anything i set my mind to task on.
part of the human condition, eh.

thank God it was awful and only reinforced my prior desire to stay quit.
good luck to everyone else tussling with this dreaded addiction;
WE CAN ALL DO IT; but ONLY IF WE WANT TO!
 LivingInTheNow
Msg: 109
Posted: 1/22/2006 3:30:10 PM
alis kat: i commend you on the cold turkey approach.....a while back, i did the same thing with regards to drinking. i found, though, that i truly do not miss it. i have done an overhaul with my life: i exercise 4-5 times a week, changed my dietary intake, and made a few other adjustments in my life to achieve my goals - - one being the not drinking. the one thing that has helped me is staying focused on my activities and thinking about my long term health. i want to be around for a long while, and not hooked up to machines!!! i weighed the pros and cons of it all. right now, i am into cycling and loving it!

as for your situation, do not sit around and wait for the bad part of the withdrawls to be over......it sounds as though you have gone through the worst of it. however, you need to re-direct your focus big time and get out there and do something, anything. and do not hang around those who you used to smoke with. if you do hang around them, ask them not to smoke in front of you (or maybe you leave the immediate area while they light up, returning when they are done).....if you expose yourself to the old habit, most likely you will go back to doing it.

the changes will be hard, but obviously, it is something you want or you would not have quit in the first place! good luck to you!!
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 110
Posted: 1/22/2006 6:36:14 PM
Okay, I have heard of strange home remedy. You simply replace the craving for cigarrettes with as much sex as you can possibly have with people who look like bald mutants.
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2006 8:26:54 PM

now that IS an inspiring post;
thanks for sharing!
 Pgooperman
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2006 12:19:43 AM
Thanks Peets! I'm 15 days smoke-free and still counting. I'm feeling pleased but know I'm not out of the woods yet!
 cougar99
Msg: 113
Posted: 1/24/2006 11:16:14 AM
pgooperman...I am going on a year without smoking....it was REAL hard at first....but if I can do it anyone can..I was a human chimmey...
But, now I notice when I lift....the effects are quicker than..when I smoked...
Good Luck

And not sure if anyone mentioned this but, quiting smoking also lowers your cholestrol....
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 114
Posted: 1/24/2006 3:04:15 PM
substitute safe sex for smoking
 darkcloud
Msg: 115
Posted: 1/24/2006 3:15:18 PM
pg.........a lil update, still cigarette free, haven't had one since mid dec. it's hard as hell, but the cravings are'nt as often (thank God) but still are just as intense. now, what do you do for the oral fixation? or should i not go there.........
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2006 7:53:28 PM
<---dork; double post, sorry
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2006 7:53:48 PM
i cannot STOP eating!
 darkcloud
Msg: 118
Posted: 1/24/2006 8:50:41 PM
i hear ya gurly, and pass the salsa..........
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2006 9:04:49 PM
i'm smiling, too though; keep it goin DC!
way to go; check US out: woo hoo!
 darkcloud
Msg: 120
Posted: 1/24/2006 9:08:31 PM
i just joined the gym today...................i needed a good steam

be good gurly. hang in there
 darkcloud
Msg: 121
Posted: 1/24/2006 9:08:50 PM
i just joined the gym today...................i needed a good steam

be good gurly. hang in there
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2006 9:13:46 PM
thanks dc, i quit the day after Christmas, and after my whooops last week with just one smoke i know and remember well the ugly feeling yucky darkside!
too many damn nasty chemicals that i am finally DONE, through, fini, kaput, etc.
NO MORE SMOKIE for ME!!!
i smoked off and on for 24 years; thats more than HALF MY LIFE:
and i am an asthmatic; wtf wasn't i thinking?!

thanks, DC, 'n you keep on bein a good guy, too!

my boss
(a smoker whom i've worked for since 2002)
today said to me, "i don't know HOW you did it!"
i replied, "it no longer was a choice; i was just plain sick of it!"
 macks
Msg: 123
Posted: 1/26/2006 10:52:06 AM
Congrats UV, give it awhile, your tastebuds come back, as does your appetite ( not a great thing, but great to taste the food you are eating, lol ), you will feel alot better in the long run, you might be a bit fatigued in the beginning as the nicotine does not give you that rush, but you will eventually get away from it. Find something to occupy yourself with...gum....ju-jubes,,,gummi bears, whatever... Congrats
 Pgooperman
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2006 12:10:27 PM
WhooooooHooooooooooooo, Ultra, DC!!!! I'm still with ya on being smoke free!!!! Good for you for joining a gym, DC!!! I've been feeling the need to get more exercise lately too even though my job gives me quite a workout, which I love about it!

I DO think quitting smoking is all about self-control and mind over matter. I'm eating everything in sight too. Kinda scary! But I'm stepping on the scale a lot to be sure I'm not ballooning. I gotta go scavenge for some munchies. BBL.

Petunia G.
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2006 5:08:18 PM
awesome, tunia!
can you believe ya ever where a smoker?
sometimes i feel a wave of a nervous little bit, but no real desire to smoke, thank God.
it passes or i start moving and deflect the damn irritating nervous thing i call a tic...
it's something that will take a bit of time; i can't expect my mind/body connection to
"get it" overnight; i AM human, lol...
i have been keeping to myself more lately, being extra nice to myself.
except for that stint, shopping the other day...

thank you macks, i do appreciate you kind words;
and everyone here, thanks for all the support!
and alis cat started it all in this post here, hiya, and good goin, girlie!
smoochies!
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > I just quit smoking 4 days ago .......Any tips/advice?