Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > I just quit smoking 4 days ago .......Any tips/advice?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Little Lady
Msg: 101
view profile
History
I just quit smoking 4 days ago .......Any tips/advice?Page 5 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
Have a woman (just not me *wimp*) near by, oral fixations. Quite funny

Honestly though I found animal crackers helped and I prefered the no name brand their smaller and dry out your mouth about the same as a cigarette.
 Pgooperman
Msg: 102
view profile
History
I just quit smoking 4 days ago .......Any tips/advice?
Posted: 1/14/2006 4:33:03 PM
I hated the way ciggies dried out my mouth! I ALWAYS had to have something to drink along with a smoke!

OT: DarkCloud? You know you can always fulfill your oral fixation with me, baby! Well, if I were closer to you anway. I'm coming up on one week since my last ciggy. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! Ack! Cough! Cough! Sputter! Sputter.... << --- these would be bad emoticons to use here.
 give it a try
Msg: 103
Posted: 1/15/2006 12:35:14 AM
I've been thinking about getting on the no smoking train for about six months. I've got friends who seriously only smoke when they drink. I really hate those people. For some reason, I think I should be able to do that. Winds up being the yo-yo train. Smoke 3-4 day, then smoke a pack, then smoke 3-4 day........ You know it's bad for you, you know you stink, things get burnt (its just a little hole in my shirt), can't breathe, people say "EWWW, you just had a smoke". Little kids come up and say, "Mister, smoking's bad for you", women on this site who definitely don't want a smoker.

As I light up a cigarette and think about the next sentence. I just read thru this entire forum and I'm thinking "I can do that". I think I'm going to shoot for January 23rd. Fill up that bottle of water with butts for inhaling, make sure I've got 2 packs to chow down on, get some patches, book off for 2 weeks, lock the doors and hire somebody to tie me to the bed and feed me intravaneously. I'll let you know how it goes. But only once I've quit, cause i sit and read these forums and smoke like a chimney.
 Pgooperman
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2006 6:25:39 AM
GiveIt, you just have to be ready if you're gonna be successful and besides that, I would rather be successful the first try (I have had unsuccessful tries), rather than go through this torture over and over.

This evening will be a full week since I smoked a whole ciggy (puffed a few butts last Mon & Tues), and I'm still craving periodically, but if I keep myself busy it helps not to think about it. I'm just determined not to break the promise I made to myself. Besides, all my coworkers know how far I've come. They are saying my resolve is amazing. How can I renig on that now? Pressure, pressure.
 give it a try
Msg: 105
Posted: 1/15/2006 8:59:59 AM
Maybe, that's what I need. Somebody applying the pressure.
 musicNme
Msg: 106
Posted: 1/15/2006 10:28:08 AM
Come on Give_it, you can do it ...I quit 16 years ago and at the time was up to a pack a day. I used the 4mg nicorette gum, followed the directions carefully on the package and it worked for me. Best thing I ever did. I now think about the horrendous cost involved and it amazes me that anyone can AFFORD to smoke!
 Little Lady
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2006 9:09:48 PM
A little information for the Canadian smokers;

They are now putting a new chemical in all brands of cigarettes to stop a cigarette from staying lit while not being smoked. It is ment to prevent fires when people fall asleep with a it cigarette.

Just a little info on why the cigarettes that you normally smoke may not taste right, why they may become unlit by themselves, why your mouth and throat my be far more irritated then it normally is.
 give it a try
Msg: 108
Posted: 1/15/2006 9:37:10 PM
Any idea when they started that. I've only noticed it the last couple weeks. Little lady, how's the quitting going?
 Little Lady
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2006 10:00:18 PM
I start the quitting thing again on tuesday. Had a little nerviousness with a court hearing but that is over now.(seperation thing)

It was to be fully implimented by Jan 1/06. The only reason I know is that my ex/husband (in counciling) is on the fire investigation unit for the province. He got the article 6 months ago but said he didn't think of it till I told him my cigarettes are annoying. He also explained that he didn't get any information on whether the chemical that they are putting in has been tested completly for human consumption. How is that for a fun chemical.

I really need to quit now.
 Pgooperman
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2006 12:00:04 AM

he didn't get any information on whether the chemical that they are putting in has been tested completly for human consumption
Ewwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeee.... yet another reason to quit (as if all the other chemicals they put in ciggies are better? ).
 Little Lady
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2006 12:10:31 AM
Yes I agree, nothing like formaldehyde for preserving body parts. Dead body parts that is.
 katvalleau
Msg: 112
Posted: 1/16/2006 7:55:17 AM
I quit a month ago. I used the Wal-Mart generic brand of the patch to help me quit. I went from 21 to 14 to 7 to none in three weeks instead of the recomended 8 or 9 weeks though. It's tough but I also had some chakara treatments which I believe were instrumental in opening up my physche to be ready for the process. This is the first pay check I've had in over 12 years where I will not have to spend one dime on cigarettes, Yeah! For me, celebrating every milestone was and is a key factor in continued success.

Kathy
 TallDarkNSweeet
Msg: 113
Posted: 1/16/2006 8:53:32 AM
Great thread OP and Congratulations on your wise
decision to stop burning your life away!

Cigarettes are designed to hook you and are made with
your addiction in mind. I have herd it said that quitting
smoking can be as hard as quitting heron. Perhaps harder
since smoking is still widely accepted and is legal. When
I quit I found it hard too, but I was young and full of
piss-&-vinegar! All i had to do is keep reminding my self of
the reasons I had to quit. I listed them below

No more ashtray breathe
No more stains on your figures, nails, and teeth.
You will live a longer, healthier and more fulfilling live.
Perhaps a big motivator is how much money you will save!
In my books you’re hotter now that you’re not such a fire hazard!
You will save time since you don't have to stop for that cig-brake.
Once you are free of addiction you will have more control of yourself.
Your setting a good example to all the people you interact with…
Your good health will be your wealth!!! Amen!

I have read a lot about detoxifying… to get rid of the cravings. The
sooner the body can get the nicotine out the sooner the cravings are
over. Check out the benefits of Hydro and Pelo therapies which will
help speed up the process by helping draw the toxins out.

Keep us informed of your progress!
Good luck!
 Little Lady
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2006 9:13:14 AM
Nice list thank you,
I start a new attempt tomorrow.
 MellyBabez
Msg: 115
Posted: 1/16/2006 9:14:57 AM
SO i have been cigarette free for 8 days now.
It has been HELL for me.

AND to top it off, i gained two pounds.
That can't be good.
However, ive been told that quitting smoking can cause you to gain weight. Ya me, guess im going to be spending more time at the gym

So. One of the reasons that i wanted to quit, was because i was coughing up green stuff. Yup. Green stuff.

So today, woke up, still coughing up green stuff. However, todays "stuff" resembled..solid smoke.

Please tell me this is normal.

lol

And sorry about the gross post, but hey. Who cares, right?
 Little Lady
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2006 9:22:03 AM
If it is green it sounds like an infection which probably has nothing to do with smoking. If it is brown that is from the old smoking.

Don't worry about the weight gain your body will settle itself.
 Pgooperman
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2006 9:37:32 AM
I agree with what LL said, Melly, but that was pretty gross. Thanks for sharing those lovely details.

I took a quit smoking course some years ago. One of the guys in it had previously kicked a drugs and booze addiction and according to him, kicking the tobacco habit was more difficult than the other two! I was shocked when he said that.

Way to go Kat!!! Hang in there Melly. I'm on my 8th smoke-free day and delighted so far.

OT: Love the owl pic, Kat!

Petunia G.
 Miitsoo
Msg: 118
Posted: 1/16/2006 11:24:10 PM
Interesting...
 wanted_one
Msg: 119
Posted: 1/17/2006 1:05:51 PM
I've hopped aboard the quitting train... today is my first day... last ciggy was at 9:30 last night... so far it's going ok. I first quit 20+ years ago and used****ail straws to ease the oral fixation. I'm looking forward to tasting food again!
I met an incredible man on another site and he doesn't smoke so I have that last bit of motivation that I need. He is also helping me stay motivated by taking me out hiking until I'm huffing and puffing so I don't want to smoke and it will help to keep the weight off.
Good luck to all of us!!!!
 Pgooperman
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2006 2:34:26 PM
WTG, Wanted one!!!! Stick to it! You have a great start and good support! I'm on my 9th smoke-free day, but still craving. Fortunately, my resolve is strong enough this time to resist the cravings so far.

How are the cravings for you, DarkCloud? It's been more than 4 weeks, right? Are the cravings diminishing yet? Please say, yes!

Edit: BTW, I was so excited to be able to change my smoking status on my profile from "often" to "no." Hope I didn't do it too soon, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
 wanted_one
Msg: 121
Posted: 1/17/2006 3:29:33 PM
Thanks Pgoop... one question... it's been 17 hours and my chest is getting rattly and I'm having coughing fits... did any of you go through this and how long will it last?
 Pgooperman
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2006 3:47:25 PM
When I quit, I was at the tail end of a cold, so that also helped motivate me. I coughed a fair amount for my first 6 days of being off ciggies with phlegm and goop. I'm still coughing a bit, but then I think I had a bit of a smoker's cough without the cold while I was still smoking. Hope this helps, for what it's worth.

Edit: Wondering how Alis Kat is doing. I suspect you're no longer on the wagon since you haven't posted here for a while and you mentioned a split from Ali. I'm sure you're a bit stressed right now. If you're off the wagon, I hope you can hop back aboard soon. I'm also wondering if LittleLady got back on the wagon today like she said she was gonna.
 wanted_one
Msg: 123
Posted: 1/17/2006 3:50:18 PM
Yeah.. thanks... I'm hoping steam might also help
 Pgooperman
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2006 3:51:28 PM
I think steam will act as an expectorant and bring up more phlegm. Yummmmm...
 darkcloud
Msg: 125
Posted: 1/17/2006 4:31:16 PM
@wanted........i had to use mucinex (it helped w/ the lungers) and it lasted about a week.

@pg.............it's been a while like 4 weeks or so. it's still somewhat of a challange. no cigerettes though. i still want one.

sometimes i would hope that the world would end soon so i could start smoking again without suffering any reprocussions from it. how sick am i?
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > I just quit smoking 4 days ago .......Any tips/advice?