Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 John5150
Msg: 78
can non-pot smokers handle pot smokers?Page 3 of 77    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
WOW.. some cool replies on this subject.. here's my take..

I've sat through the physical and mental part of withdrawal both from alcohol and drugs. To me, the alcohol was much worse than when I quit smoking pot. This was all over 10 yrs ago, but in my opinion, pot doesn't cause half the problems that booze does.. I quit the two at different times, alcohol withdrawal is pure hell, pot I just quit.. that simple

now, for can I handle a smoker? I tried this a while ago.. she smoked once in a while, I had no problem with that until I looked around and saw that her definition of "once in a while" was from the time she left work until the time she went to work, of course with a break to smoke a joint during lunch.. this isn't once in a while to me.. so, this was ended rather quickly..

could I date someone that did smoke once in a while? hell yeah, I see no problems with that, would rather see someone stoned than drunk out of their mind (which is legal somehow).. that's just me..
 Raven1
Msg: 79
can non-pot smokers handle pot smokers?
Posted: 11/16/2005 1:32:48 PM
Marijuana can lower inhibitions and impair judgment. Lowered inhibitions have been known to result in unprotected sex, increased possibilities of sexually transmitted diseases, and potential unwanted pregnancies. Marijuana may interfere with human reproduction. Some research shows a decline in sex hormones in young boys and possible disturbances of the menstrual cycle in girls. In the critical early stages of pregnancy, smoking may be harmful to the baby.

Some of the problems/effects you just associated with the use of MJ are identical issues one faces with alcohol consumption!

*** Let's face it people. The only reason those of you that are against the use of it (or any other "illegal" substance) is because you are nothing but conformists. Sheep amongst the flock. Your life is dictated by a higher form of power (Local and Federal government).
It's those of you that never bring about change due to the fact that you fear contending those forms of power.

If the government legalized then would it be ok? Would it be tolerable for people to engage in the use of whatever drug BECAUSE that higher form of power ALLOWED you to?
Alcohol was PROHIBITED at one point in time too you know?
There are "LEGAL" drugs out there that have led to many deaths. Why are those ok to use?
Because that higher form of power that rules/dictates how you live your life decides it's ok?

Listen to those late night commercials where pharmaceutical companies are advertising their various drugs. Listen to the side-effects that are caused by some of them. "Heart attack, stroke, blood-clots, respitory failure", etc. yet it's ok for doctors to play god and perscribe these drugs not knowing fully well if it will remedy or worsen the situation.

If you were born in Amsterdam and lived there all your life you probably wouldn't have a problem with MJ. Why? Because there's it's a socially acceptable standard and is FULLY legal by those higher governing bodies of power (the government).

See the difference from one geographical region to the next?
You're living your life and basing your thoughts and ideals on what is GIVEN to you by others NOT by what is made/created by your own mind. What you think is biased by what you are told by both them AND the media. What you think is based on values & standards THEY feel are right for you.

Summer Teeth
Msg: 80
Posted: 11/16/2005 1:51:21 PM
I can handle that situation without any problem. She'd be so stoned, she probably wouldn't notice me kicking her to the curb.
 Summer Teeth
Msg: 82
Posted: 11/16/2005 1:56:01 PM
Raven--marijuana affects everyone differently. You wanna smoke it, smoke it. Some people can function quite well on it.

But I wouldn't date someone who smoked it. It's my preference. And for me, it's nothing like alcohol. I can still keep track of time when drinking; my stomach doesn't hurt like hell when drinking; and my place doesn't smell like burning sweat when drinking.

Marijuana, to me, is unattractive.

Oh, and Raven--you are the sheep, most likely following some half-baked definition of "cool" that you never defined yourself. Good luck with that, jackass.
 John5150
Msg: 84
Posted: 11/16/2005 2:10:37 PM
Hey Ekkobeach - what's the difference between the person who smokes pot to escape or feel adequate and the person who drinks to escape or feel adequate? or even for that matter, the person who hunts, races, fishes, spends time with family or whatever to escape the pressures of reality and allow that person to feel adequate? If smoking pot is such a terrible thing because people use it to escape then with the same thoughts when I go home tonight and do whatever silly things that I do (specifically play with my dogs and play guitar) then I'm doing something to escape and I shouldn't be doing these things.. There is absolutely no difference between using pot to escape or using alcohol to escape.. and not everyone that uses these are doing so as an escape...
 PhyneLiquor
Msg: 86
Posted: 11/16/2005 2:19:15 PM
The part about people who don't smoke pot being "conformist" is laughable.

Plenty of people smoke pot to be conformist with the people they hang out with..

It's just a different type of conformity. With the tens of millions who smoke pot, it's hardly such a daring, "individualistic" thing..

You 'conform' to the values of YOUR chosen social circle. Plenty of m.j. smokers frown on those who don't use it, so isn't that a type of "conformity" to the group, as well?

@ kevn2012:

I think you sort of misinterpreted my post; what I meant to say is why aren't all the 'smokers' on this thread, who claim that its use enhances creaitivity so much, well-known artists, authors, playwrights, or musicians?
 Summer Teeth
Msg: 87
Posted: 11/16/2005 2:26:13 PM
Hey Ekkobeach - what's the difference between the person who smokes pot to escape or feel adequate and the person who drinks to escape or feel adequate? or even for that matter, the person who hunts, races, fishes, spends time with family or whatever to escape the pressures of reality and allow that person to feel adequate? If smoking pot is such a terrible thing because people use it to escape then with the same thoughts when I go home tonight and do whatever silly things that I do (specifically play with my dogs and play guitar) then I'm doing something to escape and I shouldn't be doing these things.. There is absolutely no difference between using pot to escape or using alcohol to escape..
and not everyone that uses these are doing so as an escape...

Quick question--can you become chemically dependent on hunting, fishing, playing your guitar, or playing with your dogs? There's the difference. Some pot smokers might argue that smoking it isn't addictive, but it can be very psychologically addictive because of its affect on neurotransmitter balance within the brain. The brain and body are inextricable linked. As far as I'm concerned, it is physically addictive because of its affect on neurotransmitters.

As far as running . .. people do get "hooked" on endorphin rushes, but--hey--I don't see anyting wrong with that!
 polaris700
Msg: 88
Posted: 11/16/2005 2:37:13 PM
Personally I don't know the first thing about "pot",never tried it,won't try it,wouldn't date somebody that smokes it.I have friends that do it, doesn't bother me in the least.I just have better things to spend my money on.
 John5150
Msg: 89
Posted: 11/16/2005 2:39:47 PM
chemically dependant? I don't believe so..

physically dependant - I believe you can, it's not just drugs that are bad..
 PhyneLiquor
Msg: 90
Posted: 11/16/2005 2:44:34 PM
so the major argument "for" weed is: "it's not as bad as booze" ?

ever consider you "could" possibly not use either?
 John5150
Msg: 92
Posted: 11/16/2005 2:46:57 PM
I'll argue it isn't as bad...

for me personally, neither one matters, I don't use either and don't plan on it. As for dating someone, that's all cool in moderation..

there's better stuff out there to help you escape reality
 wirraljim
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2005 3:04:43 PM
i'm a builder an have arthritic knee with half knee joint left, i fractured my spine fallin off a roof about 6 year ago an never bother with doctors for painkillers for at least 5 years an still work hard due to evening smoke (thats medicinal !! ) its none addictive cos i do without for weeks to clear system now and again, and yeah why can we have none ?? well i think there are many many more relationships that enjoy drinking (none medicinal) and a huge percentage of them relationships are violent or abusive because drink makes yoyu lose control, weed just chills ya an they are both as equally bad for your insides, everyone to there own i say but just be honest with ourselves and others an thats the element tht counts in a relationship more than what are our habits, lol
 DarkestB4Dawn
Msg: 94
Posted: 11/16/2005 3:24:45 PM
To be quite honest, this argument has became quite sad....the question is answered with put downs and people telling each other how wrong they are. Personally I could care less what any of you choose. Who YOU have as a mate will not effect my life unless it is me and to be quite honest, the ones who are so judgemental, I wouldn't want in my life to begin with. Yep, I am PRO marijuana. I know alot about the substance. I know it's good and bad points. I make my own choices and if someone can not handle the fact that occassionally I smoke then apparently they are NOT the person for me. Cut and dry. Just like the person who can not handle a pot smoker would know that I am not for them. The one question I would like to ask is.....

THOSE THAT HAVE STATED THAT YOU WILL NOT DATE A POT SMOKER.....WOULD YOU DATE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING?

TOBACCO USER
DRINKER (HEAVY OR OCCASIONAL USER)
CHOCOLATE CONSUMER
COFFEE, TEA, COLA PRODUCT USER
PERSON ON MEDICATION PRESCRIBED BY A DOCTOR SUCH AS VALIUM, PROZAC, OR PAIN MEDICATION
SOMEONE WHO HAS TO TAKE OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATIONS ON A DAILY BASIS

ALL OF THOSE THINGS I MENTIONED ARE MIND ALTERING "DRUGS". IF YOU ARE GOING TO CUT ONE OUT OF YOUR LIFE YOU SHOULD CUT ALL OUT OF YOUR LIFE. AT LEAST BY THE REASONING I AM SEEING HERE. I AM NOT TRYING TO MAKE YOU PRO MARIJUANA, JUST SHOWING YOU THAT YOUR REASONING IS PREJUDICED. TO THOSE WHO SAID IT IS DUE TO THE SMELL....DISREGUARD THIS, i UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY WHAT YOU ARE SAYING BUT MY QUESTION TO YOU WOULD BE...

IF YOU HATE THE SMELL OF MARIJUANA COULD YOU DATE A SMOKER WHO NEVER DID IT AROUND YOU, DID NOT HAVE THE SMELL IN THEIR HOME, OR ON THEIR BREATH? AND YES IT CAN BE DONE.

I am not trying to argue, enough of that has been done in this thread already. I am trying to give you something to think about. And of course, I am curious to see how my questions will be answered.
 delytful
Msg: 96
Posted: 11/16/2005 3:40:15 PM
FYI - I put the word SEEMS in all caps to try to express that it was not a judgement, and definitely not meant to include all of those who post, just the majority.
As far as those who would prefer to avoid smoke in general due to issues such as asthma, well that just makes good sense health wise.
Also, I would believe that Gates and the other may have smoked 3 grams a day, but 3OZ?! That is a whole heck of a lot!
 Songblaze
Msg: 97
Posted: 11/16/2005 3:55:04 PM
As a non-smoker and occasional drinker, here's my $.02

I couldn't date a cigarette smoker. I'm allergic to tobacco, asthmatic, and extremely sensitive to the smell/taste. I don't like having it around.

I couldn't date a 'chronic' pot smoker for similar reasons - it smells aweful, and smoke is dangerous to me, but I also WOULD NOT date a chronic pot smoker, for different reasons.

And what are those? The same reasons I wouldn't date a heavy drinker.

I'm not interested in someone who uses a recreational mind-alterant as a coping mechanism. I can understand wanting to use things on occasion, for whatever reason - to take the edge off a particularly bad week, celebrating with your friends, etc. It's when it becomes a way of handling the world that it's a problem for me. I'm not interested in someone who can't cope with the world, their life, whatever. I'm not saying all pot users can't live without their drug of choice...far from. I'm just saying that I'm not interested in someone who uses it rather than...say...learning to deal with their lives in a mature fashion.
 DarkestB4Dawn
Msg: 98
Posted: 11/16/2005 4:13:58 PM
Ekko, YOU just showed YOUR IGNORANCE and inability to even grasp the conversation. Did I say anyone was driving a vehicle? NO Did I say I smoke and drive..NOPE! Don't believe in it. You were too biased and judgemental to even read the question correctly. But that's ok, I understand. I politely asked a question and you couldn't answer it with an INTELLIGENT response so you chose to try and put me down. GOOD JOB. LMAO As far as them being idiotic comparisons, far from it, each has a mind altering effect. I was simply trying to give you something to think about, I wasn't asking you to smoke, date a smoker, or even condone it. But maybe that is far out of your grasp of reality as well. Why did you take it so offensively that you felt the need to make a slur towards me? Can you not handle someone asking you a question? But that's fine. With your type of thinking, I'd rather NOT hear your answers. It's funny, I have not singled anyone out and tried to talk "crap" about them, even stated that I understand that it's YOUR choice, I just wanted to know how someone could rule out one mind altering substance without ruling out the others. I was making a point. But, yeah, I think you missed that. NOW I am singling someone out and making comments, sure, I have that right to defend myself. YOU are someone I would NEVER have as an aquaintance in my life, not due to your choices in life but due to your attitude. Someone who can't even discuss an issue without talking crap and responding so irrational doesn't belong in my life. You really need to rethink your interactions with other people.
 wirraljim
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2005 4:15:45 PM
hey well said dawn, yeah there all addictive substances some worse than others an some better, everyone has an addiction and yeah i also respect none smoking around any none smoker because i agree people who choose not to smoke shouldnt hve to, so basically i feel that is both parties of a relaionship smoke tobacco then one(or both) smoking pot occasionally in moderation can live happily ever after lol an yeah dawn well in on pointing out that none of us should be judgemental on people because we shouldnt, if a person smokes/drinks/etc, doesnt mean they havent got a beautiful loving heart an nature that is perfect for someone love an light yeah
 DarkestB4Dawn
Msg: 100
Posted: 11/16/2005 4:21:29 PM
TY JIm, glad someone GOT the point I was trying to make. I was never saying those things were equally good or bad, just all addictive and mind altering.
 wirraljim
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2005 4:31:13 PM
i think everybody must of realised that,only most people love a debate,one good thing about following up on these forums ya tend to get to know what sort of people (WE ALL) are
' lol'nobody should take any of whats put up here as its all different peoples opinions and everybody has the right to them (they dont hurt if y dont let em !) and in a joking manner who says the chocolate eating driver doesnt have a heart attack whilst driving or having accident why unwrapping choc an bein temporarily distracted from screen, lol its all petty an should all be taken lighthearted but yeah i totally agree with ya dawn on all accounts love an light
 michaeljustin
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2005 4:31:27 PM
From Health Canada:

There are risks to marijuana use, both over the long and short term.

who did these test?..and i went to health canada and couldnt find anything you rote..let alone any test proof..only a few test have been done on apes and some people..allready posted if you didnt read them allready..and why is canada pushing to legilize it too? i notice there tring to become the 2nd country to have legal weed

Marijuana can lower inhibitions and impair judgment. Lowered inhibitions have been known to result in unprotected sex, increased possibilities of sexually transmitted diseases, and potential unwanted pregnancies. Marijuana may interfere with human reproduction. Some research shows a decline in sex hormones in young boys and possible disturbances of the menstrual cycle in girls. In the critical early stages of pregnancy, smoking may be harmful to the baby.
lmao...so weed is the reason for unprotected sex?..lmao..thats the crazest thing i ever heard..lol..thats as bad as when they said back in the 1950's that weed caused black people to rape and kill...were did ya dig that crap up?..lmao

2) POT FOUND NOT TO CAUSE FETAL ALCOHOL SYNDROME

A new study of children born to marijuana-smoking
mothers found no link between marijuana exposure and the
birth defects of fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS). The new study,
by Dr. Susan J. Astley of the University of Washington,
published in the January, 1992 issue of Pediatrics,
contradicted a 1982 study by Dr. Ralph Hingson, in which
prenatal exposure to marijuana was found to increase the risk
of FAS.
Hingson's results, which have not been replicated, have
been questioned on various methodological grounds, in
particular the difficulty of controlling for combined drinking
and pot use.
The new study looked for facial deformities
symptomatic of FAS in 40 children whose mothers had smoked
marijuana heavily during pregnancy and 40 controls, It found no
association between marijuana and FAS, but deformities were
observed in children of women who drank 2 ounces of alcohol
per day or took cocaine.

there again..alcohall being most of the trouble...for over 50 years they be tring to find somthing bad with weed..but they havent..they try to use words like linked to this or that.....i wanna see test proofs....not linked too..or could cause...and i wanna see a up to date study..not one done 30 years ago to try and scare people from doing somthing illegal..i dont condone anyone smoking anything while pregnat.
 Funny_Girl
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2005 4:50:50 PM
I have found that it doesn't work well. The two can't communicate well because they are of two different minds...literally. Plus, the one smoking usually feels things in a more intense, pleasurable way. Their inhibitions are lowered, their humor is enhanced, they are quite hungry, and horny. All of this could be a little much for the one that isn't "high". Then, when you throw into the mix that sometimes pot can bring on feelings of paranoia, it could be pretty dibilating.

It's probably best for both to be high, or not high.
 Raven1
Msg: 105
Posted: 11/16/2005 5:18:17 PM

funny how most of those people who claim to be so brilliant while stoned have 'jack of all trades' (meaning: "unemployed" ? )

No, actually what it means is that UNLIKE YOURSELF I am not limited in my capabilities. I do not only perform one task of which generates me revenue. I'm a hustler and do whatever I can to make a dollar. I own a production company and a satellite company.

www.doctorsatellite.com <--shameless self-promotion

Whether it means repairing people's vehicles (that's a side job btw), their computers, hacking satellite t.v, designing graphics and websites, my company also provides Dj's for any/all occasions (ex weddings, etc.) or corporate and private event planning.
That is what I do.

Aside from that I also buy cars that need repairs (another side job), fix them (body AND mechanical work) and flip them for a profit.
Next year I move into my new house in Florida where I will be venturing into real estate and property development.

I see you have PROFESSIONAL as your job title. A professional at what? What is it you do? Professional sewage cleaner? Profession leaf raker? Garbage men are also "professionals" in their own mind's eye!
lmao
STATE YOUR CASE!

Aside from that all, I'm very mechanically and technically inclined individual. Though I never made claim to brilliance. All I stated is that drugs do alter your mentality and perception of things. They can AND DO elevate one's way of thinking. Think about it, they increase the rate of which the receptors and neurotransmitters (fires) work. It's like the piston of an engine firing faster. What happens in that case? You gain more revolutions per min (which is the rate at which an engine is measured) - the engine works faster.
Same thing applies with the receptors and neurotransmitters working more!

It's not rocket science. Perhaps you should go further your education rather that arguing about things you're blatently ignorant about!

Raven1
Msg: 106
Posted: 11/16/2005 5:25:58 PM

Many people are convinced they have 'deep thoughts' while stoned..often they are just so f*cked up they think that pondering the inner meaning of a Crayola crayon is 'deep'.

Let me ask you a question. Have you even been under the influence to make any kind of statement such as that?

IM NOT SAYING IF SOMEONE LACKS INTELLIGENCE OR DEPTH TO THEIR CHARACTER THEN SMOKING (OR BEING UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ANYTHING) WILL MAKE THEM BRILLIANT OR ANY SUCH NON-SENSE.
YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT FROM WITHIN TO BEGIN WITH. FOR THOSE OF US THAT ARE INTELLIGENT, THOSE THAT HAVE DEPTH, IT CAN AID IN THE RELEASE OF A DEEPER THOUGHT PROCESS AND EXPRESSION.

GO PICK UP A BOOK FROM TIME TO TIME. WATCH SOME EDUCATIONAL TV.
GET OUT OF THE BARN (AND ISOLATION) YOU DWELL IN AND INTERACT WITH OTHERS.

YOU JUST MIGHT LEARN SOMETHING NOW AND THEN.
 PhyneLiquor
Msg: 107
Posted: 11/16/2005 5:28:10 PM
^^

probably more than I would by raving & foaming at the mouth (figuratively) on POF forums..

I thought dope smokers were supposed to be 'relaxed, chilled' people..you certainly discredit that view..
 BarnBabe
Msg: 109
Posted: 11/16/2005 5:34:34 PM
I would never ever under any circumstances date a pot smoker. Ever.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >